Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i feel really stupid for having thought congress would actually improve my quality of life directly.

so stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

seriously, the more I read this thread and follow US politics the more thankful I am that I carry a Canadian Passport and was born a Canadian citizen.
"gently caress you got mine"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the american people are a just and freedom loving people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0

"i'm afraid if he win the blacks will take over" -grandma

poo poo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

if i hate america because it has terrible health care does that make me a terrorist
go to a police station and ask

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Mister Six posted:

this video is like a week old so it may have been posted already but i enjoyed it. there's not any information in it anyone who's read these threads or uses their brain doesn't already know but it might be good to show to people who have neglected to use their brain muscles so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSM8t_cLZgk
holy poo poo i love this man

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yaay posted:

he can't not be a troll come on

g_mangler posted:

I don't buy the discrimination argument. Simply put, straight people can't marry someone of the same sex, neither can gay people. Straight people can marry someone of the opposite sex, and so can gay people. So i really don't see this as in "equal rights issue."

Suppose "gay" marriage is legal, is it only for "gay" people to marry the same sex, or is it ok for hetero people to marry the same sex for financial, immigration, or other reasons? Suppose "gay marriage" is legal. If someone not "gay" is not allowed to marry someone of the same sex, isn't this in fact real discrimination? I.e., "gay" people would have the right to marry the same sex as well as the opposite sex while "straight" people can only marry the opposite sex. This to me would be de facto discrimination based soley on sexual orientation. Is the government going to form a "gay police" where before they issue a marriage license, you have to have gay sex in front of them to prove you are in fact gay?

In other words, "gay marriage" would need to be "same sex marriage" open to anyone, gay, straight, transgender, in order to not be dicriminatory by it's very nature. This opens a pandora's box that I think a lot of governments don't want to open. This along with religious objections is what's holding it back.

I personally don't give a poo poo who wants to marry whom, however I am generally against the soul sucking institution known as marriage. I'm certainly no homophobe as my past sexual history has encompassed both genders. I just think gay people should REJOICE that they aren't allowed to marry that way you don't have to listen to your "partner" badger, whine, and complain you into a lovely marriage. I personally hate being married and one day I will escape.

One last thing, rioting is not a good way to make a point and calling people morons because they don't share your beliefs isn't very tolerant. I've a hard time with the left anymore. It seems tolerance has been replaced by bigotry and facism when they don't get their way.
what an interesting fellow

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wow.

The stages have gone like this:

Primaries: Hooray they want UHC! Single-payer maybe? Who knows?! It'll be great! Woohoo!

Election: YES WE GOT THE BLACK MAN, now he just has to fend off the lobbyist and retarded Congress!

December: Sure are talking about the economy a lot. Single-payer! Please? Okay, a strong public-option is pretty good for now.

February-ish: ...why do we need to argue for a strong public-option? I thought it was a given? ....huh.

April: WHO THE gently caress ARE ALL THESE LOBBYISTS; WHY WON'T YOU TELL US WHO THEY ARE

May: okay, let's just have a public option. what's all this bipartisan poo poo? YOU OWN CONGRESS FAGGOTS

June: crapcrapcrapcrap blue dogs

July: Wait, not even a public option? no requirement for employer health insurance? :suicide: (because I'm going to die with no health insurance anyway)

August: revolution? No, cheetos are on sale...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Gazaville Slugger posted:

wait my family won't be able to afford the bills if i kill myself
you know the just thing to do

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

kill every member of the senate
i knew you'd do the right thing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

in about 2003 or so i argued with someone that the "war on terror" and all that would be no different even with gore in office and i was made to feel pretty stupid; democrats would do something different!

aahahahahahahhahaha i win that argument now, stupid ex-gf that went to an ivy league school and became a lesbian!!

...doesn't really feel that great

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

really

let's make people pay out their rear end for mandatory insurance when 3/4 of the american people just want to be able to get their broken arm mended, prevent them from actually saving money for that very same insurance...

after giving a poo poo ton of money to incredibly wealthy people while saying UHC is too expensive...

in the worst recession that's not getting better since the great depression.

....does the us government just want to cease to exist?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

at least i'll be alive to see the collapse of the greatest (or worst, ~WhAtEvEr~) empire in the history of the world

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

redscare posted:

There's no hope left of this being completely torpedoed and failing is there?
ahahahahaha

"hope"

will you not learn your lesson?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

let's be honest, this whole ordeal has slowly slid to where everyone expects it to be and in line with the operations of the united states congress. doing nothing helpful, wittling away at meaningful language, and being bought out.

it's the most likely scenario that nothing will be done to improve healthcare. just the mentioning that a plan capping health savings accounts, requiring insurance purchase, and providing no public option is a POSSIBILITY means it's going to happen, because it's the most foppish thing that could be done.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 28, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Willa Rogers posted:

if you're near DC you (and everyone else) should go to this: http://www.healthcare-now.org/campaigns/single-payer-rally/
i was just thinking, what could i do since i live in oklahoma

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i used to live in glorious nippon and had health care there and was happy, but i moved back because despite BU$H/whatever i wanted to make america better and had some stupid notion that being an educated citizen would help do that little part

so stupid

now i want to get married and all that jazz and am doing well with my own business. but uh...this stuff keeps happening.

yeah no health insurance either since i'm A GREAT AMERICAN WITH HIS OWN BUSINESS, LIKE JOE THE PLUMBER :911:

crap poo poo gently caress

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Top health executives and lobbyists have continued to flock to the senator's often extravagant fundraising events in recent months.

During a Senate break in late June, for example, Baucus held his 10th annual fly-fishing and golfing weekend in Big Sky, Montana, for a minimum donation of $2,500.

Later this month comes "Camp Baucus," a "trip for the whole family" that adds horseback riding and hiking to the list of activities.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
alright, i'll post the punchline now I guess because holy crap

Interrupting Moss posted:

i was just thinking, what could i do since i live in oklahoma

(yeah that'll fix it, kill a bunch of babies and paper pushers)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Top health executives and lobbyists have continued to flock to the senator's often extravagant fundraising events in recent months.

During a Senate break in late June, for example, Baucus held his 10th annual fly-fishing and golfing weekend in Big Sky, Montana, for a minimum donation of $2,500.

Later this month comes "Camp Baucus," a "trip for the whole family" that adds horseback riding and hiking to the list of activities.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
what would happen if i ponied up $2500 and wanted to go so I could pester the good senator all day with questions about single-payer?

would i even get my money back?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

how did this shithole country become a superpower anyway
geographic isolation/industrialization/shoulders of giants

the history of the u.s. is like using cheat codes in simcity

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

rational actors

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

let's list things that would actually upset americans and are more likely to cause open protest than the passing of an enslaving health care bill

1. price doubling at mcdonald's
2. cancellation of cable tv

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

JonoT45 posted:

we should probably start rationing health care anyway

i love the bs THEY DECIDE WHEN YOU GET YOUR TREATMENT argument because it doesnt happen
and it doesn't happen now no

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Zeitgueist posted:

Her fault, she should have gotten insurance that would have covered her cancer.
correction, should have re-educated herself to prepare for the new economy. if she had made herself more appealing to companies she would have had health insurance.

she just wanted to garden. what was she thinking?

:smith:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This week's This American Life had a piece on health insurance recission

A woman diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer had her double mastectomy canceled at the last minute when the insurance company noted a case of dermatitis on her charts that could have been "pre-cancerous" and they launched into a "medical review" that lasted months while her tumor doubled in size

The dermatologist intervened and pleaded with the insurance company that it was just acne and should not hold up her life-in-the-balance surgery, but the company ignored him

quote:

It's difficult for me to speak out, my insurance could be canceled again... I live in fear every day of my insurance company.
would someone please destroy america, we don't deserve to exist anymore

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

wait we're doing pretty well without your help

(american independence wins again!)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

t3ch3 posted:

dta

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

n0pe posted:

So basically if you want your country to give a poo poo about you you need to start murdering people in other countries like ASAP.
Or make an unbelievable amount of money (which can pretty much only be done by the above)

:911:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Hyosho posted:

there haven't been 2 years together since the 19th century when America hasn't initiated military action against a foreign country
ask american people and all they know of is:
Civil War
WWI
WWII
Vietnam
Gulf War (which no one views as a war, just a reminder that america is :c00l:)
WAR ON TERROR

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

quadreb posted:

Korea too, a lot of people know Korea.
you'd be amazed how many people only recall that after being prompted.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Hyosho posted:

"world policeman".
AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I love this phrase so much. it's such horseshit. america is aware of all terrible things deserving of "police action". they get involved when phillips, GE, raytheon, etc. stand to make money off of intervention or, sometimes (bosnia, ever so timidly, in the early nineties) because the media and public make enough of a stink

e:
heck, case in point for you, i didn't even know the anniversary of the end of korea was Tuesday: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32181010/ns/local_news-bakersfield_ca/

I didn't see anything in the news, either

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 30, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

frest posted:

I'm having an argument and I can't find the chart that or statistic in this thread that backs me up.

How much of medical research in the united states is funded by the NIH (i.e. academic and government research) versus how much is actually funded by private pharmaceutical companies?
(his spouse has a PHD in neuroscience and is currently doing Alzheimer research for a major pharmacorp)
insurance companies will not "go galt," nor will anyone or anything else because where the gently caress else are they going to be able to game the system for so much profit? america, no matter what insurance system is implements, will always be the best place for bribery and corruption. there's an enormous amount of money to be made and it's largely ignored/tolerated by the public and encouraged by its leaders

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

frest posted:

no poo poo

but the context of this argument, every point has largely been supported by actual statistics and research so if anybody has that stuff bookmarked I would really appreciate it. i'm still looking but tick tock
this is interesting, still looking though:

http://report.nih.gov/rcdc/categories/

e: Jesus NIH, is this right? They spent $126,635,000,000 on medical research in 2008?

interesting footnote as well: The minimum reporting threshold for a specific disease/condition is $500,000. Reporting of $0 does not indicate that no research is being conducted.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 30, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I'm still looking (it is of course more difficult to find out how much money private companies are spending), but of note is this: http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/DevelopingProductsforRareDiseasesConditions/default.htm

there's already a precedent for the FDA funding the development of drugs by private companies.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Here's your answer: http://hsc.utoledo.edu/research/nih_research_benefits.pdf
NIH: 36%
Private, for-profit: 57%
Private, non-profit, 7%

The ratio has been tilting toward the private sector since then, however: http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/HealthPolicy/1767

that pdf has lots of info on NIH, including some of the specific drugs their funding has made possible

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 30, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Prince of PURRsia posted:

A'ight.

:words:

We're hosed, we're all hosed, gently caress it.
Thank you.

In the grand scheme of things, this has a good possibility of being correct. It doesn't take an much to figure out that a decent public option is the beginning of the end for private health insurance in the US (and the insurance companies are very aware of this) and if I can figure that out, I'm sure the present administration can, too.

However, the chance of such a thing not making it to the President's desk is looking greater and greater; if that doesn't happen, then everything you just typed out is horseshit.

But I hope, too. (argh hope)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

HEALTHCARE IS TOO EXPENSIVE

oh you guys want new some new cars, sure why not

*buys new pickup truck because old one is 92 Chevy 454*

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

does everyone still agree that a lot of this "OBAMA IS GONNA KILL MY GRANDMOTHER" can easily be rephrased and better understood as "THE NEGRO IS GONNA KILL MY GRANDMOTHER"?

because it seems pretty obvious. everyone is playing on the fact that most retarded conservatives are racist; i don't think this level of individual demonizing would be as pervasive if it were "Barry Owens (D)"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

at this point i think the only good that can come out of this is that conservatives become angry enough to actually do something violent and physical that will make limp-wristed liberals feel like they're allowed to do the same

opponents unite and all that against a common foe like in cambodia 74

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

wait a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

xwonderboyx posted:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111736487

Heard this on Monday and it's pretty good at calling people on their bullshit.

Also heard a report from someone covering the Obama health townhall bs and some redneck was saying people for health reform were plants and clearly uneducated because take-from-the-rich-and-give-to-the poor is a bad idea. I really wish the reporter would have asked the guy if he was rich.
first problem: NPR NATIONALIZED PEOPLE'S RADIO

it's a good article but it's only understood by people who already agree with it.

conservatives LOVE to hate obama. it's a choice. it's entertaining. it's meaningful. it's exciting. they only listen to others who hate obama. there is no reasoning.

first it was "hate the government"
then "hate the guy getting a blowjob"
then "hate the guy who likes the environment"
then "hate the terrorists"
then "hate the people who look like terrorists"
then "hate everyone not american for not standing with us"
then "hate americans who don't support US"
then "hate THE american who is one of THEM"

they've slowly shifted the focus of their hate back to someone in america, but now they've merged all the things they hate (including other races) into one person.

it's genuinely dangerous.