Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

AstroZamboni posted:

Well there wasn't any visible impact bruise in Jupiter's atmosphere last night that I could see. I bumped it to 400x under pretty decent seeing and tried a bunch of filters and nothing popped out.

Great cloud belt detail visible though. Saturn was pretty stunning too.

Unfortunately I'm paying the price on the mosquito bites. My entire arms are completely swollen to poo poo. My left hand is blown up like a loving balloon. Absolute loving brutality. Don't want to use high concentration deet because of its corrosive effects on optics, but the current situation isn't sustainable if I want to observe the next couple weeks.

Permethrin? I've had good luck with it here. My brother in law does culvert surveys in Wisconsin and bought a 5 gallon pails worth this summer. He swears by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, he's my latest. I'm still really so bad at all this. Honestly, I'm still at the point where I'm happy when I can get the mechanics lined up and have something to play around with in processing.

Taken with a Fuji XT-20, Star Adventurer, and the Rokinon 135mm/F2. Stacked with DeepSkyStacker, edited in Photoshop. I think it's about 60 exposures, 2 mins, no dark/flats/bias shots. I feel like I can never get the red nebulosity out from the stars.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Royal Observatory’s Best Astronomy Photos of 2021
https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/astronomy-photographer-year/galleries/2021-overall-winners

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Internet Explorer posted:

Taken with a Fuji XT-20, Star Adventurer, and the Rokinon 135mm/F2. Stacked with DeepSkyStacker, edited in Photoshop. I think it's about 60 exposures, 2 mins, no dark/flats/bias shots. I feel like I can never get the red nebulosity out from the stars.

Normal digital cameras *strongly* filter out those red wavelengths because they're so sensitive to them. If you're looking to get a lot of hydrogen-alpha light you probably want to consider having your camera modded to remove the IR filter.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

tilt-shift astrophotography is the best kind of wizardry

https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/astronomy-photographer-year/galleries/past-winners?asset=2812-wl-39f8f911-a8f0-47aa-b891-edd063501d7d

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Normal digital cameras *strongly* filter out those red wavelengths because they're so sensitive to them. If you're looking to get a lot of hydrogen-alpha light you probably want to consider having your camera modded to remove the IR filter.

I actually just did an order with Lifepixel a few days ago so I can get my camera modded. Super excited about that!

Also I finally bit the bullet on a telescope and ordered a Radian Raptor 61. I know it's overpriced and there's cheaper equivalent solutions, but something that's well put together is worth it to me while I'm learning.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

What do you guys image when it's near full moon?

I did a variety of globular clusters last night that turned out pretty well. Curious as to other potential targets.

No real processing on that stack, just a quick auto stretch. I'm happy with the detail at only one hour.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Double post, more full moon poo poo! Or at least 1 day prior to full moon. I used Telescopius to find targets away from the moon, but it was still crazy bright. Then my humidity sensor decided to declare the humidity to be 20% instead of 80% or whatever, so I lost the last couple of hours. Any reason I don't want the dew heaters to run full bore?

M13, note the baby galaxy in the upper left.

M15

M56

NGC2403

All were 90 minutes total time, 60 sec subs, dithering every 4th frame. Blotchiness is noticeable on the stacks closer to the moon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's sort of cool yet also something that will probably spawn a bunch of copycats that getting boring after the first copy.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's sort of cool yet also something that will probably spawn a bunch of copycats that getting boring after the first copy.

You could probably accomplish the same with a graduated blur filter in photoshop.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I don't get the appeal of tilt shift, especially for things like galaxies. Giving the impression that some of the field stars are behind the galaxy is just kinda wonky.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I thought it looked cool :shrug:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is astromart still the go to for USA equipment buying? I kind of want to get something better than an Academy/Dicks/Walmart special, but don't want to sink too much into it as I barely use the questionably good one I have already.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Warbird posted:

Is astromart still the go to for USA equipment buying? I kind of want to get something better than an Academy/Dicks/Walmart special, but don't want to sink too much into it as I barely use the questionably good one I have already.

Cloudynights has a Classifieds section that seems to get more traffic, though the stuff on Astromart tends to be a bit nicer. I haven't watched closely in the last 6 months, but that's how it felt earlier in the year.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Would you advise doing a kit solution or building piecemeal? I’d like to better experience things than what I can get with a cheap plastic kit, but would prefer this to not be a “spend a bunch of money and use it like twice” sort of affair.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Astromart has a paywall, and some use that to justify more confidence in its marketplace, but I’ve had better luck and better experiences on the cloudynights classifieds.

If you’re looking for something big or delicate (that you’d rather not pay to ship), check Craigslist or Facebook marketplace often. Widen the area of search because driving can be worth it.

I find B&H’s used telescope section to drop a gem every now and again, and usually free shipping.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/ci/3307/N/4294246674?setNs=p_PRICE_2%7C1&sort=PRICE_HIGH_TO_LOW&srtclk=sort&ipp=100

Adorama has used scopes, OPT, High Point, etc.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Warbird posted:

Would you advise doing a kit solution or building piecemeal? I’d like to better experience things than what I can get with a cheap plastic kit, but would prefer this to not be a “spend a bunch of money and use it like twice” sort of affair.

What's your budget? What type of observing are you thinking?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
On the same token, I am looking at selling one of my rigs. What is the best way to do that to actually get some money?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yooper posted:

What's your budget? What type of observing are you thinking?

That depends on how generous Mrs. Burd is feeling, but I’d say a few hundred bucks. As for observing types, I’m largely ignorant but mostly it would be just looking at whatever is up there from my back yard or occasionally a field somewhere. I used to do occasional astrophotography before the baby came if that’s of any more/use. I’m wondering if I’d be better off getting a lens better suited to that and just using my binoculars instead.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Warbird posted:

That depends on how generous Mrs. Burd is feeling, but I’d say a few hundred bucks. As for observing types, I’m largely ignorant but mostly it would be just looking at whatever is up there from my back yard or occasionally a field somewhere. I used to do occasional astrophotography before the baby came if that’s of any more/use. I’m wondering if I’d be better off getting a lens better suited to that and just using my binoculars instead.

I'd watch Craiglist/Facebook/Cloudy Nights. A bino is a solid option, there are some nights I just want to chill and scan and it's way easier to walk outside with the binoculars than get out the Dob. But for a few hundred you'll be into camera lens land, which is OK, but probably not dedicated AP scope. For example on CN right now a dude is selling a 10" Dob for $450 in Monterrey, CA.

simble
May 11, 2004

Crescent Nebula - NGC 6888 - Sh2-105 - C27

Embiggen

I took this one last month, but just got around to processing it tonight. This is admittedly not one of my favorite targets and I didn't have high hopes for this one, but it came out better than I expected :)

pre:
Dates:
  2021-08-05
  2021-08-07
Coordinates:
  RA:  20h12m7s
  Dec: 38d21m21s
  Rot: 0
  Bortle: 8/9
Scope: 
  WO GT81
Mount:
  Skywatcher EQ6R Pro
Lens: 
  WO Flat 6AIII 0.8x reducer
Camera:
  ZWO ASI2600MM
Filters:
  Ha 3nm
  SII 3nm
  OIII 3nm
Integration:
  Ha    - 15 x 10min (2.5hr)
  OIII  - 14 x 10min (2.3hr)
  SII   - 15 x 10min (2.5hr)
  Total - 44 x 10min (7.3hr)
Processing:
  PixInsight

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yeah the first time you see it it's super cool, it relys on the novelty and specific artistic vision to not be gimmicky though. A lot of the winning photos are like that, creative with some technical wizardry added in. There's one of a nebula with the stars digitally removed which was very interesting as well.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

simble posted:

Crescent Nebula - NGC 6888 - Sh2-105 - C27

Embiggen

That looks fantastic.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Been looking for a used EQ6-R for well over a year and one finally popped p. The seller bought it in 2016 but has not used it much. From photos it looks brand new.
Am i going to run into software/firmware/compatibility issues with a version that old? I assume more recently manufactured versions of the mount has updated firmware?

simble
May 11, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Been looking for a used EQ6-R for well over a year and one finally popped p. The seller bought it in 2016 but has not used it much. From photos it looks brand new.
Am i going to run into software/firmware/compatibility issues with a version that old? I assume more recently manufactured versions of the mount has updated firmware?

The tell here is if it has a USB-A port on the side. If it does, you'll definitely be fine. If it doesn't you'll have to run the USB through the hand controller and when I tried that with mine, things got a little wonky, but I guess it worked ok. It was wonky enough that I probably won't try it again.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

SOON. Should hopefully arrive by Monday, I'm excited to take this thing for a spin and see what kind of photos I can get!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

T1g4h posted:

SOON. Should hopefully arrive by Monday, I'm excited to take this thing for a spin and see what kind of photos I can get!

:getin:

M31 pads my start and stop time when I shoot other stuff. Tonight is Tulip Nebula followed by Pleiades.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Sometimes I see articles like this one and i am taken aback by the scale of the cosmos. When these events took place, the dinosaurs still roamed the earth...and if some creature in Arp 91 observed the Earth right now, they would still see the dinosaurs.

Or that when Proxima Centauri looked exactly like it does now, my youngest wasnt born yet.

It is nothing less than awe inspiring.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or that even if we did manage to hack physics and develop faster than light travel, it would still only bring our own galaxy into play as a travel target (and then, just a portion unless we could go multiple times the speed of light). I don't know what percentage of the universe the milky way is but it's gonna be 99.9% with a bunch more nines added.

I guess the wormhole fans might drop a 'well actually' but that seems just as unlikely to me.

There is so much out there that we can see an old version of but will be forever unreachable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

D34THROW posted:

Sometimes I see articles like this one and i am taken aback by the scale of the cosmos. When these events took place, the dinosaurs still roamed the earth...and if some creature in Arp 91 observed the Earth right now, they would still see the dinosaurs.

Or that when Proxima Centauri looked exactly like it does now, my youngest wasnt born yet.

It is nothing less than awe inspiring.

Imagine what it's like for somebody living in the spiral arm stretched between the two..

When I look at Deneb it's amazing that it's still one of our brightest stars from 1500 light years away..

If it were 27 light years away like Vega is, it would be 15 times brighter than Venus, be visible in daylight, and cast shadows at night..

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

xzzy posted:

There is so much out there that we can see an old version of but will be forever unreachable.

That's the thing that drops my jaw, the knowledge that what we are seeing is vastly different than it is at this moment. If it in fact even still exists at all.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Like seeing a supernova and realizing that that star has been gone, or a black hole, or a dwarf for many, many times longer than you've been alive. :magical:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

Binary Badger posted:

Imagine what it's like for somebody living in the spiral arm stretched between the two..

When I look at Deneb it's amazing that it's still one of our brightest stars from 1500 light years away..

If it were 27 light years away like Vega is, it would be 15 times brighter than Venus, be visible in daylight, and cast shadows at night..

Contending with the Moon is bad enough and Deneb would not have phases either. Lot of solar systems have multiple suns. Many planets out there might not even have night and thus no amateur astronomy, no constellations, no myths based on star formations etc.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

That's the thing that drops my jaw, the knowledge that what we are seeing is vastly different than it is at this moment. If it in fact even still exists at all.

It's probably not worth spending much time on my babbling, but I want to share something that helped me get closer to a first name basis with the universe. Thanks to Einstein, there really is no "at this moment". Light cones don't only define what we can see, they define what even exists to us. This isn't the same as saying "that new supernova in the sky just blew up" because plainly light takes time to travel. It's just saying that it's better to not think in terms of "I wonder what's happening right now with that distant star" because there is no meaningful right now to be shared between that distant star and us. We'll find out what happened in its distant past when we get the photon postcards from it in the mail, but until we receive information, that information truly doesn't exist to us.

Like I said, it's just armchair relativistic/large scale thinking that made things more clear for me, and I totally accept that it might make things cloudier for others.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Finally got a decent night to take the kids out and use the new telescope to see Jupiter and Saturn. My 5yo: "we learned about these in school and they're REAL!" :3:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sexual Lorax posted:

It's probably not worth spending much time on my babbling, but I want to share something that helped me get closer to a first name basis with the universe. Thanks to Einstein, there really is no "at this moment". Light cones don't only define what we can see, they define what even exists to us. This isn't the same as saying "that new supernova in the sky just blew up" because plainly light takes time to travel. It's just saying that it's better to not think in terms of "I wonder what's happening right now with that distant star" because there is no meaningful right now to be shared between that distant star and us. We'll find out what happened in its distant past when we get the photon postcards from it in the mail, but until we receive information, that information truly doesn't exist to us.

Like I said, it's just armchair relativistic/large scale thinking that made things more clear for me, and I totally accept that it might make things cloudier for others.

I appreciate this perspective. It's weirdly helpful to discard the notion of simultaneity entirely. Thanks!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm debating a scope upgrade. RASA 8" is top of my list right now. Also looking at some 8" astrographs but the FL is getting a bit longer than I'd like, though the price is a lot better.

Is there a definitive reason to look at one, or the other?

simble
May 11, 2004

Embiggen

pre:
Target: 
  Triangulum Galaxy / M33 / NGC598
Dates: 
  2021-10-10
Coordinates:
  RA:  1h33m39.6s
  Dec: +30d 36" 58.64'
  Rot: 96d
  Bortle: 8/9
Scope: 
  WO GT81
Camera:
  ASI 2600MM-Pro
Mount:
  Skywatcher EQ6R Pro
Lens: 
  WO Flat 6AIII 0.8x reducer
Filters:
  Chroma 36mm LRGB 
Subs:
  L - 101 x 90s (2.5 hrs)
  R - 50  x 45  (0.6 hrs)
  G - 50  x 45  (0.6 hrs)
  B - 50  x 45  (0.6 hrs)
Considering the amount of data I have here, I am extremely pleased with how this came out. The fact that I was able to get an image like this with an 81mm refractor in bortle 8/9 with 4 hours of collection is just amazing to me. I'd consider this my first success with LRGB. I also collected 2 hours of Ha data that itself is super interesting. I might come back and combine it later.

The luminance data was collected at 1x1 binning and the RGB data was all collected at 2x2 binning (hence why its a much lower % of the overall time). It was cool processing it. After I aligned all of the channels, I combined the RGB data and I was a little underwhelmed. Then I finished processing the luminance data and when I stretched both and applied the luminance to the RGB image everything just popped. It was really satisfying.

I also changed some things up and used sky flats rather than my normal tracing pad and a t-shirt. The flats came out well. And the sky flats were much faster to shoot. Every filter, even Ha was around or much less than 1 second of exposure time to get a good flat. I can then just use an already existing 1s flat dark that I took forever ago to calibrate them. I think this will just be my normal process going forward. I can wake up just before sunrise, remote into my laptop from my phone and run the flat wizard in NINA in sky flat mode.

Here's the rough Ha stack, if you're curious:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
As of tonight I'm 97% done with the A.L. Lunar observation program. Need to log two naked-eye observations (waxing crescent within 48 hours of new, waxing crescent with earthshine, and one binocular observation of a crater that pretty much has to be seen right at first quarter to be seen at all), and then that'll be another step in the Master Observer (and binocular master) progression down. Then Lunar II and Lunar Evolution are options...

I've also come to the difficult decision to scrap my halfway completed double star program observations and begin again. To be perfectly frank, my position angle measurements based on eyeballed drift direction loving suck. Now that I've gotten a chance to put the illuminated reticle eyepiece through its paces, I know it's going to result in some VERY ACCURATE position angle measurements. Might as well get it right since I plan on moving on to the multiple star program after the Double Star Program is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

KnifeWrench posted:

I appreciate this perspective. It's weirdly helpful to discard the notion of simultaneity entirely. Thanks!

But of course one can toss a wrench in and imagine if you could travel faster than light, you could conceivably arrive at that location prior to the nova happening.