Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Golden-i posted:

My first DSO pic ever was M34, which I took 2 years ago. Used the wrong scope, bad settings, old camera, and I got this:

M34 - Orion Nebula, 1/8/18

Big surprise, it turned out like crap. But, I remember being so happy about it. I mean, there's stuff out there in space past the planets, and I can actually see it! From my driveway! With amateur gear!

Anyways, I've been itching to get out since December to try shooting it again, but the weather's been miserable for the last two months. The skies finally cleared last night and I got out to shoot M34 at a balmy ~5F. Only got a little frostbitten.

M34 - Orion Nebula, 2/20/20 - Rough process

Two years difference, same location (Bortle 8 skies in both). I'm happy with how the data on this turned out. This was a rough shot at processing, there's still quite a bit of noise and the background contrast isn't quite right. I think I want to try getting out again asap and getting some Ha data to mix in for an HaRGB pic before I spend much more time processing it.

Whoaa, really good stuff. I love pics of space. We also had the first clearest night here in a while a couple of days ago, it was incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
^^edit: didn't see that totally

Prettypanda posted:

I took a couple of pictures this past week since I've actually had some clear nights. I don't normally spend more than one night on a target before moving on, but now that I'm working in narrow band I might start.

This first one is the Pelican Nebula in SHO. I took around an hour in each channel and ran the finished product through Starnet to remove the stars

And this is the Crescent Nebula in HOO. Went a little longer here since I only had two channels to capture, 1.5 hours in Ha and 2.5 in Oiii

Pictures like this make me want to paint them. That's wild

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I like Star Walk 2 but I mostly just sit on the porch and drink wine or beer in the dark until bed time.

e: I don’t know if the others do it or how well but the AR on Star Walk 2 is nice, lets me know I still don’t get to see the comet tonight.

e: And here’s one where I turned on the fancy 3D constellation models and took a picture with some house in the way. The AR masks the sky display with the nearby structure (if you want), cool for looking out windows and such:

Also has all the info you need to find what you’re looking for, and is pretty well supported imo. But like I said, I’m doing more porch-sitting and less astronomizing.

Anything free to find it? It costs $6 on star walk 2 to find it

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

This might help, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I have yet to get off my lazy rear end to see this guy, but I intend to tonight (with the kids). We have to drive out of the neighborhood at least, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a spot with a clear horizon.

Very helpful thank you. The trees were blocking it!!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Prettypanda posted:

I made a very short video of the comet. I would have liked to take more, but clouds conspired against me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNfWr-OzomA

And here is a bonus Elephant Trunk nebula in Ha

incredible thanks for sharing

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Poopelyse posted:

beautiful clear night tonight to spot the comet right from my backyard. could make out the smudge with naked eye. also a very good view of Saturn and Jupiter. could even see the Galilean moons with the binoculars

managed to get some passable pictures with my cellphone too

comet + big dipper

a tiny bit of milky way action + Cassiopeia in the bottom left

drat! I gotta get out and see this that is so cool

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Poopelyse posted:

Laramie! not quite as small as Riverton lol

Youd think the astronomy thread would be a safe place to say Laramie is small but I'm also laughing at that. Buckhorn meetup?!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Raikyn posted:

I like viewing the night sky, and also trying to shoot it if possible.

Great pic, I'm enjoying them if this isnt the right place I'll follow you to it

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

I want to get a pair of binocs for learning the night sky and basic stargazing. My day-to-day viewing will be from a rooftop in a brightly lit city (Bortle infinity basically) but I will occasionally have access to darker skies. When my company reopens I will have a good window view from a high-rise, so good terrestrial viewing would be nice as well. I'm willing to spend up to $200 but I'm happy to spend less.

7x50 or 10x50 is the big question I think. Pentax has a nice looking 10x50 but the lower power version is only 8x40. At 7x50 there are more options ranging from a $35 Celestron on up. I'm sure the more dedicated folks here have entire closets full of binocs so I'm curious what you actually reach for the most.

Are these types of binos specific to stargazing? I've been mean to get some decent image stabilization binos for a while now

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Yooper posted:

Had my first dark sky night and was fairly well blown away.

Here's M31 in Bortle 6-7, 1 hour of integration. SMC Takumar 200mm lens on a Canon T3i.

Here's M31 in Bortle 1-2, 1 hour of integration. Everything else is the same.

M33, 90 second subs, 40 subs.

Pleiades.

I really cant get enough of pics like this, thanks for sharing

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Whaaaaaat that andromeda pic is amazing :eyepop:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I wake up early to take care of farm animals and the stars have been spectacular, is there any time of stargazing flow that has zero set up? I dont have a lot of free time but I do have 10 minutes when it's dark. Do binocs fit this or is it pretty expensive to get into that?

Edit: I remembered after I posted that I've asked that whoops

Platystemon posted:

I can confirm that Canon’s image‐stabilised 15×50 are great. Mine are old enough to drive and they’re still delivering.

As for specificity to stargazing, Canon’s stabilisation works great for steadying the hand, but from a moving platform like a boat or a helicopter, the greater stabilisation range of binoculars like Fujifilm’s 14×40s is preferable. For astronomy, the larger aperture of the Canon model is nice.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'm going to be in the middle of nowhere in the UP for the perseid meteor shower in about the darkest place I could find, hope the smoke from canada isnt too bad :/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Yea if it's not the one it's the other. I was near some Mississippi backwaters a month ago and no mosquitos there either :thunk: maybe too early in the year? Lol I like the username relevance.. have you ever seen yooperlite?!

duodenum posted:

Which morning do you think will be better?

I'm as amateur as it gets but the 12th maybe? Advice is always appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The Wizard of Tuorla is a cool nickname

Probably this
https://www.astro.utu.fi/research/telescopes/40cm.htm