Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Amazon has the Celestron 21024 FirstScope 76mm reflector on sale for $29.99 with the promo code B4VTPW6R. If I don't find a better deal on craigslist over the weekend, I think I'm going to order one next week.

Anyone ever used that particular telescope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Welp, I just bought a 5.5" Bausch & Lomb reflector from someone on craigslist for $25. Came with the powered equatorial mount and everything. Now I just have to wait for the sky to clear up so I can point it at something other than clouds.

edit: Finally found a ruler to measure it and it's actually a 5.5" aperture. And 32" long. No wonder I thought it seemed big.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 4, 2009

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Just took my telescope out for the first time, just to look at the moon, and holy crap, I was just blown away by what I could see. I just have the one 2.5mm eyepiece and the moon is basically bigger than the field of view, but I could see the craters and shadows from the craters and the mountains around the edges and everything.

I just wish the mount was a little more stable - it was really shaking around a lot. Or is that normal-ish for higher zoom levels?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Jekub posted:

Higher magnifications will suffer from vibration more than lower.

What mount is it? It's pretty standard for mounts to come with basic split leg aluminium tripods, which are horrible and flex all over the place. However there are a few things you can do to improve them.

It's often over looked but improving your mount can have real benefits on your viewing, make it rigid and heavy and things will improve.
I'm not sure what mount it is - the only identifying marks I can find are a "JAPAN" sticker on the bottom. It does have wooden legs, though:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I'll try some of the things you suggested and see if they help. Thanks!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

It looks like a BAe-146 to me.