Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I got a job with a tiny company to help do a lot of things, one of which is run their website. I've never actually worked with Wordpress before though. I just copied the Live to Staging in wpengine for the first time in probably years, and now the staging site has a bunch of random popups from Optinmonster. There's one at the bottom saying "sign up for more zoo news!" and then another randomly will be about winning a BBQ, or a room makeover, or an NICU, none of which has anything to do with my employer. I have no idea if the guy who used to run the website ever used Optinmonster, but the popup on the live site is through mailchimp.

I think I finally tracked down the problem to the footer scripts in the Themes section of Genesis because when I clear it out, the popups go away from staging. The code includes "staging":0, does that mean "use this code if it is in staging but not elsewhere"? What could cause it to be in staging and not live? The whole site is built with inactive and unused plugins and other random crap from over the years that it makes me paranoid of removing load-bearing posters and this doesn't help that feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The easy answer imho is just disable all plugins on the staging site and turn them on one by one and see what's doing what. Optinmonstet is usually used for Google analytics but it's better to use analyticscat for GA if you don't want to use the script

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Something like this may help integrate the two.

Brilliant! Thank you for this!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I took over a site and it was super out of date, went through plugins 9ne by one trying to find the one that's b9rked the whole site and it's metaslider. Of course the majority of the sites design was made within metaslider *sigh* it's gunna be a long night

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I took over a site and it was super out of date, went through plugins 9ne by one trying to find the one that's b9rked the whole site and it's metaslider. Of course the majority of the sites design was made within metaslider *sigh* it's gunna be a long night

It seems like slider plugins are the most likely suspect in almost every broken site.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah its annoying. The plugin puts the site into a critical error state, and same with Photo Gallery by Synpathic or whatever its called. I wish I could get metaslider to work though so I don't have to css a menu but meh

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Metaslider is a real POS. Sadly there don't seem to be any better options out there. I try really hard to convince clients not to use a slideshow plugin if at all possible.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

The easy answer imho is just disable all plugins on the staging site and turn them on one by one and see what's doing what. Optinmonstet is usually used for Google analytics but it's better to use analyticscat for GA if you don't want to use the script

I deactivated all of them and it didn't make the popups go away. It must be the code in the footer, but I don't understand what could be making it only load in staging.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

greazeball posted:

Hi, this might be a question for the more general web design thread but I'm posting here first because I have a feeling wordpress is the answer. Furthermore,

What are your pain points with CiviCRM's built-in email functionality which forces you to export everything to Mailchimp? Civi is a pain in the rear end but there's nothing else like it that's also open source.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Friend posted:

I deactivated all of them and it didn't make the popups go away. It must be the code in the footer, but I don't understand what could be making it only load in staging.

If you deactivated all of the plugins and it didn't go away it's probably not coming from a plugin (unless it's getting caught in a cache somehow), but rather your theme or the database somewhere. The fact that it's advertising weird, random things that have nothing to do with your site sounds like it could be a hack. Can you provide any example code or a URL to look at?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

kedo posted:

If you deactivated all of the plugins and it didn't go away it's probably not coming from a plugin (unless it's getting caught in a cache somehow), but rather your theme or the database somewhere. The fact that it's advertising weird, random things that have nothing to do with your site sounds like it could be a hack. Can you provide any example code or a URL to look at?
Forum security kept blocking me from posting it no matter what I changed so here is the code: https://pastebin.com/UenrR3NV
It was all one line so I put it through some online beautifier if that makes any difference.

I've inspected both pages when they're fully loaded and the Staging gets a full 120,935 characters-worth of extra poo poo at the bottom for the random popups, and while Live has <html lang="en-US" class="js"> at the top, Staging has <html lang="en-US" class="js om-position-floating-bottom wf-monserrat7[bunch of letters] om-position-popup wf-[letters]-inactive" style="padding-bottom: 221px;">. That's all I noticed was different.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the opt in monster is registered and when it's on the staging site it thinks it's unregistered / pirated and flips out. No idea why it still does it when it's disabled though.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

I think the opt in monster is registered and when it's on the staging site it thinks it's unregistered / pirated and flips out. No idea why it still does it when it's disabled though.

Is it a paid plugin? I know there are tons of plug-ins out there that have no way for you to use your one license on a staging/dev site. You can only use them on one site at a time, which is dumb as hell!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Opt in monster isn't disabled though, it's not in my list of plugins at all and apparently is unattached to any plugins. Your idea seems like a decent possibility, I'll have to look into that

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Misc posted:

What are your pain points with CiviCRM's built-in email functionality which forces you to export everything to Mailchimp? Civi is a pain in the rear end but there's nothing else like it that's also open source.

I think legacy mostly. We started using MailChimp before Mosaico came out and we have a couple of people who can write newsletters and do promotions through that. We wanted to expand the outreach quickly so we stuck with what the team members already knew how to use. The other advantage was limiting access to our member DB because our users have all the chaotic destructive powers that you would expect. Now the urge is to rock the boat as little as possible but we'll have to pay the Civi devs to connect the DB to any wordpress site that we make and while we're contracting hours I guess we could also ask them to add in a new level of permissions for email writers. That's probably the smart thing to do but I get tired just thinking about it.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

bosses brought on another developer and they set up the project they were working on in sage 9 blade templates which i've never used before. i've worked with mvc cmss in the past, specifically Silverstripe, so i get the appeal of using something like that in wordpress, it just seems like its just extra configuration and potential complications (e.g. deploying to wpengine). is there anyone here that swears by it? i'm curious but also apprehensive. we're also using acf.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

albany academy posted:

bosses brought on another developer and they set up the project they were working on in sage 9 blade templates which i've never used before. i've worked with mvc cmss in the past, specifically Silverstripe, so i get the appeal of using something like that in wordpress, it just seems like its just extra configuration and potential complications (e.g. deploying to wpengine). is there anyone here that swears by it? i'm curious but also apprehensive. we're also using acf.

I use Sage for all my projects. I was also very skeptical of it at first after a decade of working with the traditional WP template structure, but the organization it brings to a project is worth the change. Blade templates are great and super easy to work with, and bundling in yarn makes managing builds, libraries and deployment painless (the theme comes with a solid default configuration). I’ve run into a few odd bugs here and there, but the developers are very responsive on their forums and I’ve been able to make everything work that I’ve needed to.

I really can’t give it enough praise. It makes WP dev feel almost modern. ;) It plays well with ACF since ACF has such a robust API. You’ll basically only ever use get_field vs the_field since all of your database touching should, in theory, happen within controllers and not templates.

E: in a nutshell all Sage does is force you to put your logic in a separate file from your view, but it does so in a very usable way and has some nice bells and whistles to boot.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Mystery solved. From an OptinMonster developer:

quote:

This is a "feature." When determining what campaigns to send to a site, check if the site exists in our database, and has campaigns assigned to it. If it doesn't exist or doesn't have campaigns assigned to it, we do some basic parsing of the requesting site URL to see if it might be a staging/development domain. If it looks like it might be a staging/development domain, we just send all campaigns. So, what you're seeing is expected behavior. If the company actually has an OptinMonster account, you can fix it by creating a site that matches your staging domain, and assign at least one site to it.

However, it seems like this site may no longer be associated with OptinMonster, as I can't find a record in our database. The embed code is also an old version of our embed code. I would say you're safe to remove it.

So kind of what Empress Brosephine was saying about them thinking it was unregistered.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you used gravityviews!? I inherited a site that uses them and it's like a nightmare

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'm struck by theme paralysis. Can I get a recommendation? I'm starting a website that will have a few static pages and a blog. It'll be a web based service that requires a bit more correspondence than a woocommerce check out, so I'm thinking a simple email form. I'd like to keep the static pages ad free, but want to monetize just the blog portion if that's possible (oh god please tell me if this is a bad idea). My primary concern is page load times. Free is good, but I'll pay if needed

E: came across GeneratePress and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for

kazr fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 15, 2020

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Hey it's me, the big dumbass again who inherited a old busted website with genesis and wpengine. Now I'm trying to figure out why some buttons don't work. In Live, Staging, and another website that seems to be an old disconnected Staging from 2019, when I go to Products and try to edit one, some of the buttons don't work. Remove Featured Image does nothing (but I can click the image and replace it that way), and when I click Edit next to the permalink slug, same thing. This is true even when I deactivate every single plugin. The Products menu on the left still shows up, but random buttons still won't work. This was not the case before I first got fired in March, and I don't know that they did much of anything to the website while I was gone. I have turned off every plugin, turned ones I suspect back on one-at-a-time, and even changed the theme, but so far nothing. Does anyone have any idea why random crap like this would just not be clickable?

This would be so much easier if I was learning on a fresh new website but I feel like I'm trying to learn how to read English by proof-reading text messages from my aunt.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Friend posted:

Hey it's me, the big dumbass again who inherited a old busted website with genesis and wpengine. Now I'm trying to figure out why some buttons don't work. In Live, Staging, and another website that seems to be an old disconnected Staging from 2019, when I go to Products and try to edit one, some of the buttons don't work. Remove Featured Image does nothing (but I can click the image and replace it that way), and when I click Edit next to the permalink slug, same thing. This is true even when I deactivate every single plugin. The Products menu on the left still shows up, but random buttons still won't work. This was not the case before I first got fired in March, and I don't know that they did much of anything to the website while I was gone. I have turned off every plugin, turned ones I suspect back on one-at-a-time, and even changed the theme, but so far nothing. Does anyone have any idea why random crap like this would just not be clickable?

This would be so much easier if I was learning on a fresh new website but I feel like I'm trying to learn how to read English by proof-reading text messages from my aunt.

Maybe this is a jquery update issue? Check the console and see if you have a bunch of errors.The recent jquery changes in Wordpress core broke some admin area stuff on our sites with older/more esoteric themes.

Is there an update for Genesis you could try?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kazr posted:

I'm struck by theme paralysis. Can I get a recommendation? I'm starting a website that will have a few static pages and a blog. It'll be a web based service that requires a bit more correspondence than a woocommerce check out, so I'm thinking a simple email form. I'd like to keep the static pages ad free, but want to monetize just the blog portion if that's possible (oh god please tell me if this is a bad idea). My primary concern is page load times. Free is good, but I'll pay if needed

E: came across GeneratePress and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for

Sorry for not replying fast but that was going to be one of my reccomendatuons.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

frogbs posted:

Maybe this is a jquery update issue? Check the console and see if you have a bunch of errors.The recent jquery changes in Wordpress core broke some admin area stuff on our sites with older/more esoteric themes.

Is there an update for Genesis you could try?

There were two. I can post the whole thing if that helps, but one was immediate and the other after loading for a minute. Nothing happened when I clicked the button though.
code:
wp-auth-check.min.js?ver=5.5.3:2 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'hasClass' of undefined
and
code:
cmb.js?ver=5.5.3:67 Uncaught TypeError: $(...).live is not a function
I updated Genesis but it didn't change anything. I did notice that the website is on PHP 7.3 and it wants to upgrade to 7.4, could that be an issue or is this a dumb thing that I just said? I got this job because I used to do ecommerce in a system built with good developers, they didn't know how dumb I was when it came to actual technical web stuff. I stopped learning after basic HTML and Flash in high school.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Whats cmb from? That doesnt look like a normal wp script. Plugin?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

also that is 100% a jquery deprecated function https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14354040/jquery-1-9-live-is-not-a-function

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

see also https://www.kickstartcommerce.com/fixing-wordpress-wp-auth-check-min-js-uncaught-typeerror.html

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Yes! This helped so much, thank you. The buttons work now, and best I can tell it is from some old plugin script that hasn't been updated in like 5 years.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Friend posted:

Yes! This helped so much, thank you. The buttons work now, and best I can tell it is from some old plugin script that hasn't been updated in like 5 years.

wordpress.txt

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Friend posted:

The buttons work now, and best I can tell it is from some old plugin script that hasn't been updated in like 5 years.

Can we have a thread title this long?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do any of you have experience with WP Job Manager?

I coded in a custom drop down for "Location" but I can't figure out the PHP code to display a arrays label rather then its value. I'm not good with PHP :V

Anyone have any idea

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

do any of you have experience with WP Job Manager?

I coded in a custom drop down for "Location" but I can't figure out the PHP code to display a arrays label rather then its value. I'm not good with PHP :V

Anyone have any idea

I've used the plugin (and didn't care for it much tbh, though it's the best one out there for what it does). What does the array look like? In PHP, you access array values thusly:

code:

$example_array = array(
  'item_1' => 'value 1',
  'item_2' => 'value 2',
);

echo $example_array['item_1']; // echos 'value 1'

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I gave up lol. I couldn't figure out how to cross reference the array to a different file and yadda yadda. I should learn PHP sometime and just hand code my own site.

Thanks for the help

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

anybody have one weird trick for handling plugins w/ version control? i wish there was an equivalent of composer dependencies for some of this stuff. I dont want to commit an entire plugin, nor do I want to just hope somebody reads the readme.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My solution to this issue was to stop including vendor plugins in my git repos. :shrug: I don't think there's a great solution to be had here.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Is there a thread or recommended place to hire a wordpress freelancer? I have a fairly simple task (create a full width post template) but don't really have the time to get into the nitty gritty of what's required, CSS-wise, to accomplish that given my page's theme. My theme even includes something like what I'm after, but it's only for a given screen width (tablets) and want to make some changes to it anyway.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

albany academy posted:

anybody have one weird trick for handling plugins w/ version control? i wish there was an equivalent of composer dependencies for some of this stuff. I dont want to commit an entire plugin, nor do I want to just hope somebody reads the readme.

I've used https://wpackagist.org/ with bedrock projects. It works well but I always struggle getting pro/premium plugins into the repo (and then updated) while ignoring the rest

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I am several years removed from WordPress development and do software development fulltime. I'm used to doing my own sites with SQLite for database access and GitHub for versioning. What's the best way to do local development and then push those changes up? Are there hosts that are particularly good at this? I am trying out Bluehost but I do most of my hosting on GCP so maybe there?

Edit: It looks like I can export the content. Then for actual code changes, I'll just use github in the wp folder?

huhu fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 26, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think most people host a local version with flywheel. I just use a host like Kinsta which gives a staging site and do my dev on that , then push it live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I’m looking to add a “name your price” plug-in for one product on a woocommerce shop.

I’ve found this one which is much cheaper than others I’ve seen https://wpspring.com/products/woocommerce-name-your-price-extension/#reviews

Anyone know this maker? Or have a different suggestion?