Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
The settings are in the database, not a file. If you change the url/ip and it no longer responds you'll need to get into the wp_options table and change a couple of settings there.

You are much better off developing on cheap hosting than your own machine. It is much closer to a deployment environment and you don't have to do annoying sysadmin stuff.

Boogaloo Shrimp: use wp_enqueue_script and wp_enqueue_style for including stylesheets and javascript. Don't use jQuery and Prototype at the same time - pick one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Alfalfa posted:

where?

I'm talking about creating a page like YouTube so it is displayed in my navigation bar and when people click on it instead of taking them to the actual WordPress Page, it opens up a new window with YouTube.

If you want to be lazy just put in some javascript to override the link and have it send them off to another page. Otherwise you'll probably have to code some crap.

Lumpy posted:

- Using <?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/cutom/MyClass.php');?> at the top ( before header() ) I can include my own classes and they will have access to $wpdb and friends?

- I searched, but perhaps I didn't use the right term, but is there a plugin you can point to a DB table and it will generate a CRUD scaffold / interface in the wp-admin area? Not that it would be hard to make this, just

- Would I just be better off doing this in Kohana and adding a content editor for the pages? I think this would be a great learning experience, since I've been using WP for all of 36 hours now, but if adding "big" custom pieces to "WP as CMS" sites is a nightmare, I'll skip it.

I think you should be able to have access to $wpdb as long as WP is calling the page - if you are hitting the template directly then you don't have access.

There isn't going to be any scaffolding available for you to deal with DBs. Maybe a plugin will allow that.

If you are happy building the stuff in Kohana go ahead and do that. Set up a template page that will call stuff from Kohana and try to do everything in there so it fits in with the site structure of your WordPress installation.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Lots of under the hood stuff. Look for WordPress to explode in functionality very soon as people develop plugins based around custom post types actually working.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You probably want to add a hook to user_login and then something in the admin_init that checks the user permissions and boots them if they are on a bad page.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
do get_the_content() instead of the_content and echo it out maybe?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You probably need to save it as a different variable.

code:
$page_data = $post;
$posts = get_posts($args);
foreach ($posts as $post) {
setup_postdata($post);
//Do your stuff related to posts here.
}
$post = $page_data;
setup_postdata($post);
//Do your stuff for page content here;
setup_postdata puts everything in place so you can do stuff like the_content(); - you can mess with variables directly but you'd have to apply filters to them manually.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
The EW.com site has those links hard coded. The header/footer come from outside of WordPress and I just call the specific template.

For xLanguage you might need to query the language on the homepage and apply some filters. If you link me to the actual site and possibly some code I should be able to figure it out for you.

If you set a class on the homepage you can probably set the CSS to indicate which section you are in - there are a few ways to do that. is_home, is_category etc...It just depends on how your content is laid out.

I'd need to get a link to figure out what is up with your index.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think the search is usually called by ?s=term

But search.php is just the default for how search results are displayed. If you want to have a special search it might make sense to make a template that you pass queries to.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

rugbert posted:

I have a search template I made, thats in my themes directory. I dont know how to make my form post results to that page tho. I cant link directly to search.php with the action (404s), and creating a page and pointing to that doesnt give me the loop.

if it is ?s=value in the string then it should go use search.php - if you set up a page to use a template that reads a GET value you can probably make your own search like thing.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Use wp_enqueue_script. It will make everything awesome. http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
It is probably because you are calling the js path incorrectly as well.

the common convention is to put it in your theme and do this.

code:
wp_enqueue_script('jtools', get_bloginfo('stylesheet_directory') . '/js/jtools.js', array('jquery'), '1');

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Also check your general settings. You usually define the blog path there.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

GEMorris posted:

Ok, my current business website: https://www.oslopress.com , while standards compliant, is dated looking and aggravating to update. It is all xhtml/css, other than the blog which is run on wordpress. We need an updated website to show our new products and to hopefully do a better job of customer conversions.

I know passable xhtml and css, I can muddle through php, I do not code or design websites for a living. We have $0 to pay anyone to do this for us, I coded the original website, but it is much simpler than what we want now.

I have seen wordpress templates that I can buy for $30 that do exactly what I want, and that I could probably reskin to look like I want them to without much trouble. My current plan is to buy said template ( http://www.olliemccarthy.com/themes/novocane/ ) and base the entire website off of WordPress.

My question revolves around the oft-made claim that Wordpress is clunky and slow. I certainly thought it was in 2.5 and previous, but it seems to have gotten much quicker with 2.9. This could be either me having an overly rosy perception of WP 2.9, or others having carry-over opinions about WP that no longer apply. I also see people claim that WP does not scale well, and I'm wondering what scale they are talking about. We need around 50 pages max and a blog; if we got 1000 visitors a day we would be up to our eyeballs in work based on our current traffic:customer ratio (even if it was a case of "for every *10 in traffic you get *2 in customers" then we would still be perfectly served with a website that got 1k visits daily).

The only other elephant in the room is the future need to add a shopping cart (current work is highly custom, i.e. anything over a "sample" is handled by a csr, hence no need for a cart), which looks like it could be done with plug-ins.

Given that 1k daily visitors and 50 pages + blog are our primary goals for the site, would wordpress serve our needs well?

I'm aware that this is probably a biased thread to post this question in, but I did not think it was appropriate to post an entire new thread.

WordPress will work for you. As long as you are willing to spend a little on hosting in order to support the amount of traffic you get. I think a normal site should be able to handle around 1k pageviews a day as long as it doesn't get crazy spikes. Good caching also helps out a lot.

I sometimes have issues with http://thisishistorictimes.com/ when it gets a big flood of users but even then I can usually handle about 1k an hour on my box.

I support sites hosted on VIP that get close to 750k pageviews a day. The cost of that is a bit more but it shows you the system is capable.

If you are going to be responsible for making the site I think you'll find it possible to accomplish what you want without a lot of outside help. A $30 theme that you can modify isn't a bad investment.

There are a couple of e-commerce plugins for WordPress. I think the market is going to expand greatly once 3.0 comes into play. It is going to make it much easier for competent developers to make a good e-commerce solution that fits the updated data model.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If WordPress had trouble supporting sites that got 1k hits a day then it wouldn't be as popular as it is. Those kinds of sites are all over the place and WordPress does a great job of serving them up. Don't worry about traffic issues. If you have issues you'll have enough income to support those issues.

I'm a pretty biased person but I think WordPress is the future of publishing. It continues to gain momentum and becomes larger every day. Security and performance are minor issues really - as long as you use good plugins the WordPress core is pretty secure.

You are on the right track. Don't let others move you away from WordPress.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think WP security is pretty strong unless you have a bad host or use old plugins. I have seen some sites get hacked but it was because of a plugin that used an old version of magpie I do believe.

And performance isn't going to be an issue if you have the right host. I don't think you will be doing anything unusual that other WordPress sites aren't doing and with proper caching WordPress is quite fast.

I'm hoping we'll see more companies offering WordPress specific hosting. WordPress.com uses nginx instead of Apache and it is much faster. Object caching is also very useful but you kind of have to reenable it. If you can hook things up to memcached you can have a very optimized site.

But honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about either issue. At least in the sense that they are specific issues with WordPress and look at it as something that should be an issue with any system you end up choosing. WordPress has changed dramatically over the last two years and we will see many big improvements this year.

There are some nice tutorials about locking down your WordPress to make it secure and many options for making it faster.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'd make a page called lightbox and then have a bunch of child pages for each piece of content. Then just make the script read through the children of the lightbox page and make the links for each of the children and have them set up to appear in the lightbox when clicked.

You can make a template for lightbox specific pages or modify page.php to check if $_GET[lightbox] == true and then have it do something different for the header and footer.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah, just use pages instead of posts. Posts are for categorized/tagged content that is associated with a date. Pages are for content that has hierarchical structure. The idea is that you can get at posts in multiple ways but pages only live on a single url.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I've been to a ton of WordCamps and the people who seem to love WordPress the most are the small business owners who are able to put in content easily. It doesn't get easier than WordPress.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

fuf posted:

Any idea how I would get rid of the word "Protected" that appears in front of a page title if you add a password to the page?

I'm sure it just requires editing one of the theme files but I have no idea which one - it's like a maze sometimes!

Actually. It is slightly complex because that is hardcoded in there.
code:
function remove_protected_title_format($title) {
return str_replace('Protected: ', '', $title);
}

add_filter('protected_title_format', 'remove_protected_title_format');
Just toss this into your functions.php and it should work.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Lumpy posted:

Ned should write a book if he hasn't already.

I know a couple of folks who have written WordPress books. I think the market is pretty saturated right now. I actually need to redo my website and try and build up my brand. I get introduced to major companies who want to use WordPress but I can't communicate well because I am in Japan now and the time difference is pretty drat rough.

People over here still use Movable Type but a lot of folks are starting to switch to WordPress. I think the market will explode in about a year so I am trying to set things up over here and take advantage of the opportunity when it arrives.

Midnight-: I don't you really need a framework. Just build off of the Twenty Ten theme that is the default in 3.0 - it is quite well written and a lot of the theme frameworks toss in a bunch of stuff that might be outdated by now.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

nina posted:

Is anyone here using Thesis? Is it worth the price?

If you use Thesis I will never answer your questions. The guy is a douche and it is mostly an MLM.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you have access to good caching or don't receive a lot of traffic I highly recommend Head Cleaner as a plugin. It is amazing - I haven't seen another CMS which has such a useful plugin.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just go with 3.0. WordPress hasn't changed too much as far as most people should be concerned.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

atastypie posted:

Anyone able to provide a brief example on adding custom columns to a custom post type, and then pulling that custom column in a loop? The codex is lacking, and a few blog posts I've tracked down all do it differently / they don't work

I'll get this to you soon. I have to look at my code and clean it up a little.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think you have your selector wrong.
code:
.widget_categories .widget-title 
{
background: url(images/category.png);
}
If the background isn't appearing properly make sure to shove a display:block in there because h3 is an inline element.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
What CSS file did you put it in? I'm looking at the css and not finding anything and I'm not seeing an image on the server either.

Also, your display:block; needs to have a ; at the end or it breaks things.

And Lumpy is right about them being block elements. So you don't actually need it there. When you put a background on an anchor tag you usually need to make it into a block element to work properly.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Don't use dreamweaver. Use firefox with firebug and test it out on the live site.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You really need to enable the post_thumbnail option. It will rock your world.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Strict 9 posted:

Funny, I came in here to bitch about Thesis and saw this.

A client who I fired, in essence, hired a new "internet guru" to design them a new site. Which basically involved her installing a Thesis theme. So I'm assisting with taking their current site, which I designed in Wordpress from scratch, and trying to jam it into this Thesis theme.

What the gently caress is Thesis anyway? A way for people who don't know anything about customizing Wordpress to be able to do some more advanced customization? Because all I know is I'm trying to do something like oh, I don't know, have a page use a different template and now apparently I have to develop special filters and hooks and god knows what else just to use a drat template.

Wow. I don't envy you at all. The guy basically made up his own rule set to go on top of WordPress a while back and in the meantime WordPress got a hell of a lot better and he tossed all of his efforts into marketing.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
It is really a shame but I think he has to be sued. He has no respect for the underlying system on which he decided to build his framework and seems to have no understanding of software licensing at all. He basically turned his customers into walking salespeople as they were given financial incentive to sell Thesis through affiliate links, which is different from most people who like WordPress as they are focused on getting folks to use WordPress because they believe it is a good system - not because they stand to make money from converting people.

Also, I can't believe he considers himself to be important because of 37k downloads. I've met the guys who are in charge of the #1 and #2 most downloaded plugins. They are humble as gently caress and ultimately surprised at the amount of downloads they have. They don't even like to mention their numbers nor what they have accomplished. 37k is nothing compared to 2 million+ downloads. But yeah, there is that whole more money = better than. But if he does get slapped with a lawsuit I think it could be incredibly painful for the entire WordPress community. But seriously, how does someone create a product based on WordPress without agreeing with the license behind it?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

KuruMonkey posted:

Do I have to filter "the_content" and then parse for image tags?!?

Probably this. Alternatively, you could shove the_content into simplehtmldom in order to not write a regular expression and then just find the img tags and wrap them there. But you'd have to include simplehtmldom with your theme.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Make a template for that page and then have the template handle the post with the e-mail address.

Or, make a template than can handle an AJAX request with the e-mail address and then put it on every page.

Failing that, make something in functions.php that checks for a specific post request and have that handle things.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just shove a class onto the post with the author id appended to it. Then you can css it up.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

rugbert posted:

Well, I mean they as in the different developers.

I want to submit a theme soon, but my theme is using plugins (that I didn't make) and I modified the dashboard css file to hide useless stuff.

So Im wondering HOW I get that modified dashboard in and if I couldn't use someone else's plugins for legal reasons.

You can add/hide stuff in the dashboard using functions. Don't modify any files outside of the theme/plugin directories.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you want to have multiple areas of content on a single page/post use this plugin.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/secondary-html-content/

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you want to do it based on a $_GET val then it should be easy. Just have something in the functions.php file that checks if the $_GET val exists, then unenqueue the native stylesheet and tell it to use a different one instead. Or you can just tack on an additional stylesheet if you only want small changes.

If you want to change the actual layout of the html it is going to be more work, but if you can do it with stylesheets then it isn't going to be much of an issue.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Kubrick is old old old. Take a look at TwentyTen for a bit and base stuff off of that.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I would suggest looking at this code.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-hide-dashboard/

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
tack on post_status=future to the string and that should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have been using qTranslate for multilingual sites. It is pretty simple.

Most people use Contact Form 7 for their contact page. The caching plugins are good - maybe wc3 total cache is best now? I'm not really sure.

I really like head cleaner. It does some amazing stuff to the head element.