Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think it is probably best to switch hosting but I can help you out a little if you don't mind a huge time difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You need to do this:

modify your style.css #sidebar and remove the float: right; and make the width: 514px; and the margin: 0px auto; and add overflow: hidden; then make the background repeat instead of repeat-x or just remove the reference to an image and set it as a color.

But your page is super skinny. You'd be better off finding a them that is about 990 pixels wide and has navigation elements on the right. Your menu at the top is too big for the theme anyway.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Use Twenty Ten and pages instead of posts. It should work out just fine.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
What is the code that creates the custom post type?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You might need to change your permalink settings. I don't know if custom post types play well with id based permalinks. When you go from Admin does it take you to an id based url?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
look into $wp_rewrite - it has some functions where you define a new permalink structure and associate it with your custom post type.

try putting this in your function to create the event post type.

code:
global $wp_rewrite;
$event_structure = '/event/%event';
$wp_rewrite->add_rewrite_tag('%event%', '([^/]+)', 'event=');
$wp_rewrite->add_permastruct('event', $event_structure, false);
I don't think you should have to do a reinstall but maybe try turning off some plugins and seeing if it loads properly without the plugins there.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

BuddytheRat posted:

EDIT: I did notice something though. When I do use pretty permalinks, being logged in makes no difference and it still won't work. But using normal links, being logged in makes it work.

DOUBLE EDIT: So, I switched to pretty links, and then put in your code, and it was working again while logged in. So, I took out your code and.. it's still working while logged in, even though there is no actual difference in the code when it wasn't working a second ago and it working now. :psyduck:

I think the code just rebuilds the .htaccess file to set up the permalinks. If you remove that code but don't rebuild the permalinks then the .htaccess file is still the same. I'm not incredibly sure though because I'm still relatively new to custom post types myself.

Want to set up a guest login for me? I'll poke around and see what I can see!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I am in there and poking around. Very unusual situation here. I think one of the issues is that your events are scheduled and WP might not actually want to display content that is scheduled in the future unless we modify the call to get the post so I am looking into that on pages it knows are events.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
It's alive!!

I found your answer here: http://wptheming.com/2010/08/how-to-make-an-events-custom-post-type/

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

BuddytheRat posted:

Woah! That was fast. Thank you man, this is great! I guess I have a lot to learn. (And my google-fu could use some work, as well.)

Seriously I can't thank you enough. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure this out.

It was a very complex thing to put together on your own. The nice thing about WordPress is the people who develop WordPress usually start doing so because they are bloggers and if there is one thing bloggers like to write about it is about themselves and what they do. There are no shortage of answers out there but sometimes the documentation can be a bit lacking.

Custom post types are also relatively new but the fact you added columns to the event type is great!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

stray posted:

Here's two interesting posts by Roger Johansson on bending WordPress to your evil ways:

- How to make WordPress URLs root-relative (very nice to know!)
- Removing TITLE attributes from WordPress links (this quirk of WordPress' has always bugged me)

Filters are pretty sweet. As a WP developer learning how hooks and filters work will make your life a lot easier.

I like having title attributes in links though. They seem to help out with SEO or something.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Doh004 posted:

My plugin has the user uploading photos (specific to the plugin). I currently have them uploaded to a pictures directory within the plugin. Is this incorrect and should I just have it all uploaded to the uploads directory? Am I opening up some security concerns?

I'd try to put them in the uploads directory. If they uninstall the plugin do they lose those images?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stuntman Mike posted:

TL;DR:

In a nutshell, what I need is to let anyone looking at the site/blog post video to it, with the option of just giving their name, or if they have a Twitter/Facebook account, logging in with that.

Any plugin recommendations? I'm a Wordpress noob and there's so many plugins out there to wade through.

Do it by hand. Unless it is some low level BS class I think the goal of this assignment is to get you to learn how to develop the concepts, not integrate them. Otherwise everyone would turn in a WordPress install with a bunch of plugins.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You probably need to shove the post_status in there too.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Strict 9 posted:

I'm about to take on a client which will probably be my biggest Wordpress site yet. Specifically, it's a magazine publisher with lots of archived issues, each of which has a column. Anyone have experience working with a publisher and organizing their content in Wordpress?

I was the main WP person at Time Inc so I have some experience with this stuff.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Serfer posted:

Is there any chance that there's a similar working plugin, or newer builtin functionality that can take what already exists and reuse it, or something that is easy to convert the existing data to.

There is functionality called post thumbnails that was introduced in 2.9 that you probably want to incorporate with your theme.

Basically you put a piece of code in your functions.php and you get a box on the right of each post/page in the admin that allows you to select an image from the media library.
code:
add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );
Then you just need to add it to your theme for the places you want it to appear.
code:
if (has_post_thumbnail()) {
the_post_thumbnail();
}
[/code]

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Serfer posted:

Ok, that sounds perfect, but, what about the older posts? Is there a way to integrate the already existing data with this?

The short answer is no. The long answer is yes.

Basically you have to check if the post has a thumbnail associated with it. If it doesn't, do it the old way, otherwise, do it the new way.

You can always parse the content of old posts and pull out the first image.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
That seems really crazy. What kind of hosting environment do you have?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vashro posted:

Anyone have any ideas as to my previous bug? I have no idea why it isn't functioning as it should, unless I'm trying to do something wordpress just isn't capable of.

Just checked it today, the logic is outputting correctly, but only 4/5 posts are being spit out. What??

Try putting the post status in there? It might make a difference. Otherwise print_r on $featuredPosts and see what is in the object.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Eris posted:

At this point, I don't care about site stats on the company blog. It can keep my drat API. I just want to get my personal blog stats OFF of my company's wp.com account and I want to be able to check my stats from my externally hosted blog.

Help?

Do you have a personal API key you can reset? You should check out the settings for the wpstats plugin on your blog I guess.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bojanglesworth posted:

My actual question is, are there any goons that are available to make a simple theme based on what (I think) I need? I would use the same template for all of the blogs, so I only need one theme. Even modifying a theme that already exists would be fine, I just don't want something boring and plain. Thanks in advance guys!

Can you get a designer to come up with a layout you like or create a wireframe? There are a few of us here who can probably build whatever you want.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Try adding this to your wp-config.php
code:
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');
I just googled the file that was spitting the error and this was one of the responses.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You can hardcode it in wp-config.php for the time being in order to get back in and make changes. You can also modify the values in the database in the wp_options table.

Usually you need to change two values in order for it to work properly.

Check out this link - http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php

WordPress URL and Site URL are the sections you want to look at.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

GEMorris posted:

What is a reasonable score in Yslow or PageSpeed for a wordpress based site? I'm using a template that utilizes a good bit of javascript, but I don't know js and I'm not sure I could successfully combine files. I have been able to use wp minify on all but three of the js files successfully.

Just wondering what score I should be shooting for as I fix these issues.

Try a plugin called head cleaner or w3c total cache. Also do what you can to make your JS load at the bottom of the page.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

micropenis posted:

• The title (which is linked to the tutorial URL) and summary text are displayed on the homepage.
• The Author field brings in the name, homepage and picture of the author.
• The website field brings in the source website name, favicon and URL.

This is fairly easy with ExpressionEngine's channel philosophy but unless there is a plugin for Wordpress, it looks like I'm going to be retyping a lot of the same data which might clog things up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've always admired Wordpress for being free and open-source but at the same time dismissed it for being just a blogging platform.

How about a plugin like this? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-field-template/

There are many plugins for managing custom fields. I think the only difficult thing is the favicon/website name stuff which you might need to manage with a custom post type or build a spider to go out and grab that stuff and insert it as a custom post type.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

CaptainCrunch posted:

I would like to make a page that lists podcasts, I.E. their titles, time, date posted etc. in a center column. Just like the blog "loop" in other words.

However, when one clicks one of those entries, I would like the "content" of the podcast's post (which will be the episode's description) to load in an existing spot on the page rather than having it load a single post page. This could be a spot on the sidebar, or a div that is part of the main page. Idealy a player for that podcast entry should be included in this as well.

Does that make sense? Is that something possible with the basic wordpress engine? If so I can muddle it out with a minimum of handholding once I know the general area to look. If it's down the jQuery rabbit hole, then I'll probably have to rethink my design.

If you put them in a different category then you can loop through that category with a different query. You'll need to have some javascript in order to make it play in a sidebar or an overlay but jQuery is easy. You can make it load an iframe somewhere or just do an ajax request to the single page template that the category for podcasts uses which would be modified to spit out exactly what you need to have the podcast load in the specific area.

It's not very hard to do things properly.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

revmoo posted:

Did that and it didn't work. It's even showing up in plugins as the new name. Do you also need to change the name of the directory?

Does the main file have a link to the repository? You might want to remove that as well.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

jackpot posted:

That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to add WP to a client's site, and godaddy is bitching because her site's on a Windows plan and it doesn't have IIS7. But her entire site is this flash thing generated through wix.com, and I'm afraid to make any big changes; I don't want to upgrade to IIS7 (or migrate to Linux) and get WP working, only to find out I've killed the rest of her site. I'm waiting to hear back from the Wix folks about this. Thanks!

Don't do that to yourself. Make it a subdomain and host it elsewhere.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
#2 would be very simple. Just go a get_posts and have it pull all the posts and put them in order by title.

then do something like this
code:
echo '<ul>';
while ( have_posts() ) : the_post()) {
echo '<li><a href="' . the_permalink() .'">' . the_title() . '</a></li>';
}
echo '</ul>';
Then you have a list of all your posts.

Bonus points if you set up a custom post type!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

clockworkjoe posted:

That's a good start but I also want to show the category and tags as well in the list.

the_tags(); the_category();

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Check the permissions on the sub directories in the theme.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Do you have a reset.css that sets everything to a standard? Each browser has their own defaults for things like lists and paragraphs.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_list_authors

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

thegasman2000 posted:

I am struggling with this stupid error.... on the cart of this site https://www.total-outdoors.co.uk I cannot remove, or update the cart. I have change/ removed all the other plugins to see if I could remove the error but its still happening! Can anyone tell me what the conflict is?

I installed wp-debug and it just shows "Fatal error: Call to undefined function getallheaders() in /home/total/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-debug/krumo/class.krumo.php on line 260" but surely that is the wp-debug files themselves?!?

Not running on apache perhaps?

http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.getallheaders.php

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

bobthecheese posted:

OK, figured this out now.

This is somewhat simplified, but pretty much what's needed.

You should probably set up a custom post type and then enable post-thumbnails and use them. It is the best way to do what you want in my opinion.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gyshall posted:

I have a client that has a site straight out of 1997. The problem is they have a ton of content on the site and have some god awful scheme for the URLs on that site - something like index.php?contenttype=j2lkjlskdjfl&post=23884 - along those lines.

Is there a way I can take these URLs, and "associate" them with the same page on a Wordpress site? I'm quoting them for the design/transition to a Wordpress powered site right now, so if it is possible to have this type of thing done, I want to let them know that. Not sure if it is apache related or strictly wordpress, but any guidance would be welcome.

For what it is worth, they have an intern who will be entering all the content into Wordpress manually, since their current site is a mess as is. Having a custom field to insert the URL on the post/page editor would be sweet, but again, not sure if this is possible.

Very possible and I have been working on a good technique for doing this. How big is the site?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gyshall posted:

The "source" site is made up of about 200 pages or so, give or take. My goal is to have something on the New Post/page site to say "this is where the old page was", but I'll really settle for anything.

Another question - what is the best Facebook widget plugin? Just something that can show the "Like this" button on pages, or a generic widget that shows all the peoples' faces maybe.

PM me the url for the old site. I'll take a look at some things.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
The function it is calling only works on apache. If you have a different webserver it isn't going to work.

Remove wp-debug and you'll be fine. That plugin hasn't been updated in 3 and a half years. It is poo poo.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

NotShadowStar posted:

This is more Drupal specific, but Wordpress has a lot of the same challenged and the community is much more active, so I'll ask here.

What are some strategies for developing a site with a small team? After WP3 it's not as much as an issue, but before that many of the queries, functions and templates only work by ID. For instance for the longest time if you wanted to have a special page template for a particular page you had to create a page-id.php. So a copy of the DB must be sync'd throughout the project. That's pretty bad for development though. Say one developer does a bunch of stuff on their own, commits a copy of the code and the DB to the repository. Another developer is working independently on a different project but interrelated dependencies. They do work and push it back, but the database could be different.

Drupal has more complex problems but if people have ideas on how they dealt with it in Wordpress that could spark some ideas. The php files generally aren't a problem, it's centralizing database information in a way that can be propagated safely. Right now I'm completely at a loss.

You can have page-slug.php and if it is page-people.php then /people/ will map to people. Also, if you use templates and name them properly they can be selected from the individual pages.

You shouldn't need to share a db. Either name pages using the slug or use the part where you go
code:
/*

Template name: Template

*/
in the top of the file and it will appear in a dropdown.

Also, jackpot, you need to keep both of those fields. The WordPress address needs to know where things are actually installed - this is what will find your css and what not. The Site address is your homepage and can essentially be anywhere on the site and far away from the WP install as long as you have an index.php file that includes wp-load.php from your WP install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Boosh! posted:

This from the OP:

I've mainly dealt with corporate level CMS's like RedDot and took on a small e-commerce/blog project and thought WordPress would be ideal for them. Is that Shopp add-on still the best thing to use?

Also, any hosting advice wold be great for this, as well as maybe a cheaper place to park my own WordPress testing area.

I should probably update the OP. I'm not really sure what e-commerce plugin is best and lately I have been doing my WP development on AWS. Once I get this image a little more sorted out I'll try to release it.