Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
My WordPress effort https://www.thefragfile.com in less than 2 days, with some generous help from Ned.

I am to the point where I'm basically done with formatting and whatnot. I want change the top image eventually. I got approved for Adsense and I'm wondering what the best widget would be for that. Searching brings up a lot of options, all recommended for one reason or another. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

My design approach to blogs has always been that its job is to sell your blog for exactly a few minutes until they subscribe to it with rss and never look at it again.

This blog makes we want to curl up with a nice cup of tea to read about fragging after a long day of fragging.

Edit: Speaking of which, where is my subscribe button?

Well, that's certainly a compliment I've never heard before. haha

how do I add a subscribe button? I could probably search and find something, but it might not be the most recommended option.

e: I got the writers section filled out more, and I'm adding more previews/reviews/media links to help even out the three columns. I'm glad someone likes the aesthetics as-is. I was going to change it and make it a little "darker" to parallel the whole "fragging" thing, but the default one is growing on me. The white background and sparse graphics contrast nicely.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 15, 2009

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Found a good subscribe plugin. Thoughts? https://www.thefragfile.com

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

supster posted:

I generally prefer AddThis with a normal RSS link somewhere (with bloginfo('rss_url')).

got addthis. look better? how do you add the RSS link? I'm new at coding. I'd like to have just the single RSS square up in the top right, to the left of the Home link. possible?

got wp super cache. should help things too.

e: addthis made my site go all crazy for some reason. loading crawled, stalled. decided to delete it for now. RSS is fine for now.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 15, 2009

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

This blog makes we want to curl up with a nice cup of tea to read about fragging after a long day of fragging.

This quote is too funny to not put up on my site. I hope you don't mind :)

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

Ok, I'm officially impressed.

One of my mock-ups was making me wonder if I would be able to even put it into html since it was just me photoshopping pretty stuff together. I decided to try, since its my favorite one, and I decided to do a test run with wordpress.

The html/css took a day and a half, deploying it in wordpress on a server08 box and getting it all going 100% took like two hours. And one hour of that was spent looking at nav plugins.

:)

cool. screencaps?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I've tried to add a ton of content. Thoughts?

https://www.thefragfile.com

Sorry, I'm kind of insecure about the whole thing. Your honest assessment is greatly appreciated.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
http://edgetrainingsystem.com/

this is the site I recently built for my boss. He would like it if I could take out the Date Stamp on each post.

Any help?

also, for the photos in the top post, is there something I'm missing to get the images to line up correctly? I had little square thumbnails, but the boss didn't want thumbnails.

thanks

edit: found it, but any thoughts on the site/layout/etc?

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 28, 2010

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Ned or anybody that knows their way around WP want to make some easy money for what's probably not more than an hour's work?

I got boned by GoDaddy. My boss has the work website through godaddy and wanted me to redesign using WP, which is great, because I have experience with WP as a backend for content. I have no experience or understanding of the coding/technical side of WP and GoDaddy provides no support whatsoever. They installed WP and something got boned and the site is broken. If somebody is interested, we can talk and I'll let you at it.

It's like a foreign language to me. I could spend days tearing my hair out or I could get somebody that is fluent who can get through it in no time.

even better if there's somebody in the New Orleans area that could come by the office and do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
turns out GoDaddy's installer is borked.

will be switching hosting soon