Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I've got Furmans, but no UPS. My studio space's outlets share the same circuit as things like bathroom fans, which like to send spikes that jam up my soundcard. It's not horrible now that I've got beefier Furmans, as long as I don't crank the volume too much. I'm a little worried about something getting damaged, because I have some older rack gear, but it is what it is. I can't afford to move, and the studio is in the only part of the apartment where it fits. I can't afford an external space. On the upside, the label I'm on encourages the punk/DIY aesthetic.

:tif:

Got any UPS suggestions?

You guys with Furman units should open up the casing and post photos of what you find inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I just recently looked into it after a stray post about line conditioners from them. Audiophile grade line conditioning.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have a power conditioner in my amp rack for my PA stuff. I bought it because it's a cheapish IEC multi-out. It makes everything sound WONDERFUL :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I've got Furmans, but no UPS. My studio space's outlets share the same circuit as things like bathroom fans, which like to send spikes that jam up my soundcard. It's not horrible now that I've got beefier Furmans, as long as I don't crank the volume too much. I'm a little worried about something getting damaged, because I have some older rack gear, but it is what it is. I can't afford to move, and the studio is in the only part of the apartment where it fits. I can't afford an external space. On the upside, the label I'm on encourages the punk/DIY aesthetic.

Got any UPS suggestions?

Yeah run 240v to your recording space and plug in a bunch of server UPS'.
TrippLite makes alright ones but APC is fantastic. Also make sure you have a proper ground bus bar and tie that into the UPS.

Provided everything plugs straight into the UPS', you will never have to worry about ground loop. Just make sure no signal wires run in parallel with your mains.

Neurophonic posted:

You guys with Furman units should open up the casing and post photos of what you find inside.
A choke, a cap, a relay, and a fuse. And likely a big clunky Cherry power switch.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Got any UPS suggestions?

You already got good answers, but it somewhat depends on how much stuff you need to plug in and what's causing you the most grief. I have only a handful of things because I use a Line 6 Helix these days and Roland drums so there's not a lot to deal with. If you have racks of stuff, you'll need to do the larger stuff mentioned by others.

This is also probably the wrong thread for it, and I'd guess there's a "right" thread somewhere in Musician's Lounge where you'll get way better answers. Here someone's going to tell you that your problem is that you don't have any crystals and I'd bet money that none of your volume knobs are wooden.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Burn all your gear and start from scratch. I'd start with a crystal radio kit to get your skills up before you actually try to listen to anything. In the meantime, consider using earplugs to limit your exposure to rough soundwaves that can snag and get hung up in your ear canals.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Sample the transients and lockups and use them creatively.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
As we can see in this video clip, Mr Zimmerman's repetitive use of incorrectly plugged in equipment in the final mix evokes in the listener a tension similar to that so deftly created by Illinois Jacquet and Big Jay McNeely's seminal efforts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_FgeG6Q41c&t=479s

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 4, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I got your power conditioning right here!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sound is just air pressure, so let's skip the middle man.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

Sound is just air pressure, so let's skip the middle man.

oh my god this is beautiful.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's even better when you learn the reason for its existence.
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1264925104175112192

(thread)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

(thread)

No loving way (pun intended).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Sometimes I don't think the internet should be allowed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

shortspecialbus posted:

Sometimes I don't think the internet should be allowed.

Yes, but this is not one of those times.

evilcat
May 16, 2009
I found this gem with various arguments online about listening to cables and if a high end analog cable makes a difference or not and stranded vs solid core and cables spending years in development.
This was while trying to find an instrument cable that looks weird because I'd be more interested in weird over sensible.
Now while these are expensive instrument cables at a couple hundred USD per at retailers and solid core, that isn't the worst.
Apparently even high end XLR cables can have enough variation from cable to cable that they sell them in matched pairs.
I could be very behind in cable science but I'd imagine two XLR cables of the same length and same cable and ends would be effectively identical but apparently there is such variation that they need to be matched together.
How long until someone makes matched pair power cords for active speakers or monoblock amplifiers?

I can't imagine trying to use a solid core cable for a musical instrument if that actually means a solid core and not that someone else makes one of those liquid filled speaker cables but for instruments. It seems like a recipe for a broken wire or the cable just being far too stiff.
In the search I even ended up reading gearslutz arguments over that cable brand and how it opens up the soundscape etc etc and do cables even matter. I think that qualified as some sort of self flagellation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A lot of the measurements they use are things that are way outside the realm of audible sound, but they don't let that stop them from saying things like "capacitance at 2.385GHz was reduced dramatically when we did X", and then claiming it had a huge effect on "soundstage", and "deep blacks", and "instrumental differentiation".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

(thread)

huh. I get it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There must be some mad money to be made in true wireless earphones, considering how often I keep running into Youtubers annoying me about those goddamn Raycon ones.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
They're getting down to mass market prices, now's the time to make good margin before they become a commodity.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
They are already commodity mass market items, the only way to make money on them is either niche (audio quality, integration with devices) or branding.

You can get perfectly good Bluetooth iems direct from the manufacture in China for £20 and a six week wait. Unless you are already an established manufacturer with lots of interesting patents to throw into the device like Sony or Bose then you need the Youtube shills to pump your product.

Hell, if you were going to buy a few tens of thousand units you can get your own brand designed and made by the same OEM manufactures that the likes of Raycon use.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I got a Marantz CD-46 for $15 and I was googling the DAC to find a bunch of audiophiles talking about oversampling being bad and stair steps in the audio signal etc etc. Anyway what is the normal-person consensus on oversampling CD players? Apparently it's DAC doesn't oversample which is why the nuts are drawn to it, which immediately makes me think that oversampling is good and cool.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

As near as I know, no one has ever been able to differentiate between DACs in a properly conducted double blind test. So the normal person consensus is who cares? Buy what looks cool, makes you happy, and you can easily afford.

I think that Marantz probably fits all 3.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

polyester concept posted:

I got a Marantz CD-46 for $15 and I was googling the DAC to find a bunch of audiophiles talking about oversampling being bad and stair steps in the audio signal etc etc. Anyway what is the normal-person consensus on oversampling CD players? Apparently it's DAC doesn't oversample which is why the nuts are drawn to it, which immediately makes me think that oversampling is good and cool.

Ignore the audiophiles, in an oversampling DAC the oversampling is a vital part of how it removes the stairstepping from its output.

Also the CD-46 apparently uses the Philips TDA1545 DAC IC. I looked up its datasheet and it's an old and quite odd DAC design, which is probably why it's catnip for audiophiles. I don't think you can support the idea that it's not oversampled because its datasheet mentions using it in oversampled applications. (Like many DACs from its era, it's a building block rather than a completed DAC in one chip - it needs external support. So if you wanted to build a complete oversampling DAC circuit with the TDA1545, you could.)

Oversampling is indeed good and cool, one of the valid techniques for implementing the sampling theory behind digital audio reproduction.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think that a 44khz output doesn't have stair-stepping at all due to application of the Nyquist Theorem.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

TheMadMilkman posted:

who cares? Buy what looks cool, makes you happy, and you can easily afford.

Exactly, I've done far worse for $15. I mostly just wanted something to match my Marantz receiver and tape deck, even though it's not silver faced.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TheMadMilkman posted:

As near as I know, no one has ever been able to differentiate between DACs in a properly conducted double blind test. So the normal person consensus is who cares? Buy what looks cool, makes you happy, and you can easily afford.

This is the 'Ridicule Audiophiles' thread so I am throwing myself on the pyre here but this deserves a bit of qualification.
The bits and bytes part of a DAC isn't what you hear, the AC part is. There are some dacs that do a real poo poo job of both though. I've had a couple DACs that couldn't decode their way our of a wet paper bag and CD players with terrible op-amp implementations that needed a unity gain buffer in order to drive a class D amp. That's more of a fault of the amp, but it wouldn't be a problem with an appropriate output impedance.

That all being said that cd player is probably fine enough that it's sound quality isn't going to be it's biggest drawback.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

^^^^^^^E: it's perfectly possible to make a lovely DAC.

LRADIKAL posted:

I think that a 44khz output doesn't have stair-stepping at all due to application of the Nyquist Theorem.

It's this. The stair steps are an inaccuracy in graphics. The the samples are single points, a DAC creates the sum of sine waves through them. Per Nyquist this is a perfect reconstruction of the original signal, subject to a couple trivially achieved conditions. Physically limitations on ADCs and DACs create a small amount of quantization noise, but nothing audible.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the point of sampling above 44.1/48khz? Just snake oil?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Afaik it allows you to do more digital signal processing with less noise (a higher sample rate effectively drops the noise floor)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also, if you are going to do audio production of the recorded track, especially pitch shifting or speed shifting.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM required watching for this thread.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the point of sampling above 44.1/48khz? Just snake oil?

In production it gives you more room to mess with the signal before mixing down to distribution quality. In playback it's snake oil.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I really wish more people would use lollipop charts instead of bar charts for sampling. Helps drive the point home that the reproduced wave isn't a jagged line following some stupid rear end chart visualization, but intersects a lot of points instead

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Some Goon posted:

In production it gives you more room to mess with the signal before mixing down to distribution quality. In playback it's snake oil.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Some Goon posted:

Oh yeah it is.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Some Goon posted:

You’re right. I forget to include ‘properly engineered’ to my statements.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

polyester concept posted:

Afaik it allows you to do more digital signal processing with less noise (a higher sample rate effectively drops the noise floor)
Exactly this.

LRADIKAL posted:

Also, if you are going to do audio production of the recorded track, especially pitch shifting or speed shifting.

Really, any manipulation of the sound including digital effects.

Some Goon posted:

Depends on what you consider playback I suppose...
My MiniDSP 2x4HD is worlds better at room correction when using a 96khz sample rate vs 44.1
But that's correcting for 4 lovely speakers in a small and well treated room. I haven't had the opportunity to set it up to be the active crossover for just 2 speakers yet so I can't really speak to if that matters with regards to sample rate, but I highly doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Depends on what you consider playback I suppose...
My MiniDSP 2x4HD is worlds better at room correction when using a 96khz sample rate vs 44.1
But that's correcting for 4 lovely speakers in a small and well treated room. I haven't had the opportunity to set it up to be the active crossover for just 2 speakers yet so I can't really speak to if that matters with regards to sample rate, but I highly doubt it.

I would say "signal processing" rather than "production", really. 96kHz sample rate gives more than enough headroom to minimize artifacts from filters, similar to how 24 bit depth assures that you really don't have to worry about the noise floor creeping up into the audible range while messing with the signal, unless you really mess up bad. It's the "don't worry about it" setting. If you do signal processing at 44.1kHz and 16 bits, you have to know what you're doing to not mess it up.

For the final end result signal being output by the last DAC in the chain, yeah just use 44.1 or 48kHz at 16 bits, job done.

E: In fact, unless you have to use 44.1kHz for whatever reasons of compatibility if/when you distribute audio to customers, just use 48kHz, please just let us standardize for once. It's the default sample rate on phones and stuff, you would be making life so much easier.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 10, 2020