Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«197 »
Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I've got Furmans, but no UPS. My studio space's outlets share the same circuit as things like bathroom fans, which like to send spikes that jam up my soundcard. It's not horrible now that I've got beefier Furmans, as long as I don't crank the volume too much. I'm a little worried about something getting damaged, because I have some older rack gear, but it is what it is. I can't afford to move, and the studio is in the only part of the apartment where it fits. I can't afford an external space. On the upside, the label I'm on encourages the punk/DIY aesthetic.

Got any UPS suggestions?

You guys with Furman units should open up the casing and post photos of what you find inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Yeah, I just recently looked into it after a stray post about line conditioners from them. Audiophile grade line conditioning.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I have a power conditioner in my amp rack for my PA stuff. I bought it because it's a cheapish IEC multi-out. It makes everything sound WONDERFUL

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I've got Furmans, but no UPS. My studio space's outlets share the same circuit as things like bathroom fans, which like to send spikes that jam up my soundcard. It's not horrible now that I've got beefier Furmans, as long as I don't crank the volume too much. I'm a little worried about something getting damaged, because I have some older rack gear, but it is what it is. I can't afford to move, and the studio is in the only part of the apartment where it fits. I can't afford an external space. On the upside, the label I'm on encourages the punk/DIY aesthetic.

Got any UPS suggestions?

Yeah run 240v to your recording space and plug in a bunch of server UPS'.
TrippLite makes alright ones but APC is fantastic. Also make sure you have a proper ground bus bar and tie that into the UPS.

Provided everything plugs straight into the UPS', you will never have to worry about ground loop. Just make sure no signal wires run in parallel with your mains.

Neurophonic posted:

You guys with Furman units should open up the casing and post photos of what you find inside.
A choke, a cap, a relay, and a fuse. And likely a big clunky Cherry power switch.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Got any UPS suggestions?

You already got good answers, but it somewhat depends on how much stuff you need to plug in and what's causing you the most grief. I have only a handful of things because I use a Line 6 Helix these days and Roland drums so there's not a lot to deal with. If you have racks of stuff, you'll need to do the larger stuff mentioned by others.

This is also probably the wrong thread for it, and I'd guess there's a "right" thread somewhere in Musician's Lounge where you'll get way better answers. Here someone's going to tell you that your problem is that you don't have any crystals and I'd bet money that none of your volume knobs are wooden.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Burn all your gear and start from scratch. I'd start with a crystal radio kit to get your skills up before you actually try to listen to anything. In the meantime, consider using earplugs to limit your exposure to rough soundwaves that can snag and get hung up in your ear canals.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Sample the transients and lockups and use them creatively.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

As we can see in this video clip, Mr Zimmerman's repetitive use of incorrectly plugged in equipment in the final mix evokes in the listener a tension similar to that so deftly created by Illinois Jacquet and Big Jay McNeely's seminal efforts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_FgeG6Q41c#t=479s

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 4, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I got your power conditioning right here!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sound is just air pressure, so let's skip the middle man.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

Sound is just air pressure, so let's skip the middle man.

oh my god this is beautiful.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's even better when you learn the reason for its existence.
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1264925104175112192

(thread)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

(thread)

No loving way (pun intended).

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Sometimes I don't think the internet should be allowed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

shortspecialbus posted:

Sometimes I don't think the internet should be allowed.

Yes, but this is not one of those times.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

I found this gem with various arguments online about listening to cables and if a high end analog cable makes a difference or not and stranded vs solid core and cables spending years in development.
This was while trying to find an instrument cable that looks weird because I'd be more interested in weird over sensible.
Now while these are expensive instrument cables at a couple hundred USD per at retailers and solid core, that isn't the worst.
Apparently even high end XLR cables can have enough variation from cable to cable that they sell them in matched pairs.
I could be very behind in cable science but I'd imagine two XLR cables of the same length and same cable and ends would be effectively identical but apparently there is such variation that they need to be matched together.
How long until someone makes matched pair power cords for active speakers or monoblock amplifiers?

I can't imagine trying to use a solid core cable for a musical instrument if that actually means a solid core and not that someone else makes one of those liquid filled speaker cables but for instruments. It seems like a recipe for a broken wire or the cable just being far too stiff.
In the search I even ended up reading gearslutz arguments over that cable brand and how it opens up the soundscape etc etc and do cables even matter. I think that qualified as some sort of self flagellation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A lot of the measurements they use are things that are way outside the realm of audible sound, but they don't let that stop them from saying things like "capacitance at 2.385GHz was reduced dramatically when we did X", and then claiming it had a huge effect on "soundstage", and "deep blacks", and "instrumental differentiation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

(thread)

huh. I get it.

«197 »