Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I don't see any bags of Brilliant Pebbles©. His sound stage is probably so dull.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
man I bet that guy got sick of explaining how the pebbles didn't make it on the plane in time

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sometimes you're just minding your own business and some primo audiophoolia falls into your lap.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
this post really stood out

quote:

A few helpful hints.

Use the silver plated wire on the positive and neutral post, not on the ground. Use a quality 10 or 12awg pure Copper cable there. This will neutralize any excessive brightness coming from the two silver plated copper cables, and add more fullness and smoothness to the power strip.

Twist the two silver plated cables together, and counter spiral wrap (not to tight) the pure copper ground cable in the other direction. This helps with EMI and RFI interference.

Use your own Copper Sleeve tweak on the power strip. Put the copper sleeve at the base where the power cord or IEC goes into the unit. I have three DIY Power strips made this way in my system now.

Ivan_nosnibor very detailed post about all AC outlet's ringing is true. So when I made my power strips a couple of years ago I started trying different things to stop the ringing. I ended up with copper faceplates on all my outlets and I used Carbon Fiber peel and stick strips on the faceplates. Just a little on the sides and top. To much and the sound was choked. Removing a piece less than a 1/2 inch was the difference. You want to calm the vibrations and not take away from the music. It looks like a fun project, enjoy.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
“Hey man maybe don’t make your own power board insurance companies really frown on that in case of a fire.”

“I already crossed that line with my custom made power cords.”

Lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What does Underwriters Laboratories know about faithful, uncompromised audio production anyway?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that is the weirdest LARP forum I've ever come across.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I can never tell with these threads who's being serious and who's taking the piss.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

grack posted:

I can never tell with these threads who's being serious and who's taking the piss.

Seriously — reminds me of VXjunkies on Reddit.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I suspect it's because the author and their ilk read from a very limited range of bullshit and then just extrapolate from that to understand things outside their domain.

i.e most of the forums

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

realbez posted:

“Hey man maybe don’t make your own power board insurance companies really frown on that in case of a fire.”

“I already crossed that line with my custom made power cords.”

Lmao

it’s pretty easy to make a power cord but i bet his is like...completely uninsulated with glass knobs to hold the wires apart.

‘what most people don’t understand is that the rubberized coating on the majority of these cables interferes with the quantum harmonics of modern music. it’s not something that you can really consciously hear, but after a few sessions you’ll notice that listening to music isn’t nearly so fatiguing.’

evilcat
May 16, 2009

mediaphage posted:

it’s pretty easy to make a power cord but i bet his is like...completely uninsulated with glass knobs to hold the wires apart.

‘what most people don’t understand is that the rubberized coating on the majority of these cables interferes with the quantum harmonics of modern music. it’s not something that you can really consciously hear, but after a few sessions you’ll notice that listening to music isn’t nearly so fatiguing.’

Audiophile knob and tube house wiring but more dangerous coming soon

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
You really need to evacuate the atmosphere from your listening room or you'll get all kinds of noise from the air molecules bumping the conductors.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Now I'm picturing some ultra rich dude building a sealed chamber in which he tests various gasses impact on sound. Imagine how much cred he'd get in audiophile circles with reviews of pure nitrogen vs mix with CO2 impact on warmth and range. And once few others asphyxiate manage to get those setups too he can add controlled air pressure. I'm sure Mt. Everest levels really transform the lows.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Refusing to get the radon leak in your basement fixed because it enriches the soundstage.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

alex314 posted:

Now I'm picturing some ultra rich dude building a sealed chamber in which he tests various gasses impact on sound. Imagine how much cred he'd get in audiophile circles with reviews of pure nitrogen vs mix with CO2 impact on warmth and range. And once few others asphyxiate manage to get those setups too he can add controlled air pressure. I'm sure Mt. Everest levels really transform the lows.

I've heard something a band with too much money and ego trying to convince their label to pay for drum stems recorded in a nitrogen atmosphere with the drummer in a respirator but I think it's a stupid sound engineer urban legend.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
https://twitter.com/scott4listener/status/1321829118833545217

There aren't sufficient psyducks for the amount of :psyduck: I'm doing right now

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

There aren't sufficient psyducks for the amount of :psyduck: I'm doing right now

:magical:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'll assume this isn't a troll post you quoted. Why even key out the track? Wouldn’t the secondary tranfer groove be sufficient?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Transfer Groove! I could use it to skip a long scratchy section! And I could cut it cleanly, not with a key! This is awesome!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I have an Explosions In The Sky record where there's something in the lead-out that throws the needle back into the last 10 seconds of the last track. At first I was like "oh, that's a neat trick" then I realized it's probably just a mistake and it's probably loving up the vinyl and my needle.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Spazzle posted:

I'll assume this isn't a troll post you quoted. Why even key out the track? Wouldn’t the secondary tranfer groove be sufficient?

That's a bold assumption.

https://twitter.com/noimjory/status/1321896911138394112?s=19

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t wait for Jack White to innovate the game and release the first album with a precut transfer groove.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When autism and audiophile mix.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Got some power supply talk heatin’ up in the other thread...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=186#post509467825

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Let's see how it plays out

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
You can make loops using stickers on the vinyl, much better method than using a key lol

https://www.theransomnote.com/music/news/kink-uploads-short-tutorial-on-how-to-make-loop-records/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Using a transport medium from the pre-1900s that drags a needle across plastic and worrying that a certain power supply will affect your listening to any degree.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The amount of money some people will dump into making a format with 60db of dynamic range sound better is personally pretty hilarious.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

qirex posted:

The amount of money some people will dump into making a format with 60db of dynamic range sound better is personally pretty hilarious.

But... but... my soundstage! :cry:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm all for vinyl as a medium and an experience (and indeed own turntables and vinyl myself) but throwing money at the format and defending it as the purest form of listening seems to be a certain type of insanity that I'll never truly understand.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I knew there had to be some on SA somewhere, desperate to farrrrrrt about the liquidity of the soundstage.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I don't hate vinyl and I still own around 200 records but it's always been funny to me that some of the most insane systems from a cost and effort standpoint were done to make one of the worst formats sound as good as possible. I think about Henry Rollins and his quarter million dollar Wilson/McIntosh system he uses to listen to punk 7" that were largely mastered on cassette 4 track recorders.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

"I use vinyl, how can I improve the sound of my setup?"

A sad truth you don't want to hear: by not using vinyl as your music format of choice. Instant cheap gains are yours for the taking!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Has anyone made an audiophile company name / hardware generator? It's like <exotic adjective / metal / famous scientist> + <2nd exotic metal> + <Pro/suffix> and you get 99% of them.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"I use vinyl, how can I improve the sound of my setup?"

A sad truth you don't want to hear: by not using vinyl as your music format of choice. Instant cheap gains are yours for the taking!

b-b-b-b-but....JITTER!!!?!!??!?!??????!??!?!?!??!?!??!??!?!???!??!??!?!?!?!??!

STAIRSTEPPING?!??!?!?!

:derp::derp::derp::derp::derp::derp::derp::derp::derp::derp::derp::derp:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
everything different about vinyl can be reduced to “we had to master it differently to accommodate the lovely format”

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Had an engineer tell me with a straight face that CD quality (16bit/44.1kHz) music is very audibly worse than 32-bit vinyl FLAC rips.

Nice long chat with that bloke about the limitations of humans and him being a loving idiot.

I mean if you're looking for a less overcompressed sound specifically from tracks mastered in the loudness era ok whatever but like...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Had an engineer tell me with a straight face that CD quality (16bit/44.1kHz) music is very audibly worse than 32-bit vinyl FLAC rips.

Nice long chat with that bloke about the limitations of humans and him being a loving idiot.

Like a sound engineer or another kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Like a sound engineer or another kind?

EE. Someone who should really, really know better