Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
I for one am on board with R2R. My Soekris 1421 uses sign-magnitude R2R tech, is linear and has a better sense of space than my new DAP, which uses the latest ESS sabre DACs. Snare drum sounds compressed and flat like a piece of paper on the DAP. I put amir fanboys in with crazy audiophiles..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
sense of space

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Can’t tell if they’re trolling or just upset because their DAC measured poorly and the designer’s response was “well it sounds good to me and my customers write me nice emails sometimes”.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Neurophonic posted:

Somebody likes the concept so much that they made it into a ready to roll product:

https://l-acoustics-creations.com/sound-space/island/

This is actually a fairly clever idea in that if you buy this and want to change your furniture it's going to cost you A LOT. But I like the idea of integrating audio in this manner instead of having to worry about placement and inevitably having to compromise.

Ultimate centre channel y'know...

https://l-acoustics-creations.com/uploads/2021/03/l-acoustics-creations-island-brochure-2021.pdf

This is dumb and pointless though so very on-brand for this thread

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 18, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
the forefront of bubble-based technology

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Does the Bubble secretly just encode a streaming URL?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Quick question, because the right people are all here.

The sound of the video podcast of a regional radio station has been pissing me off since forever. Today it came to a head and recorded a sample (click for big).

What the gently caress? What's the significance of these notches? If there is any? Why even do this to content that's being streamed on the interwebs.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
First guesses would be a lovely multi-band compressor slamming every frequency apart from the crossover regions wide enough to drive a flute into; and/or the stream encoding insisting that those frequencies are psycho-acoustically masked.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, looks like some kind of lovely codec choice. Maybe they changed encoding software and whatever that is was the default.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Please write in about it, if they don't seem to think anything's wrong they may not be hearing the final product

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I picked up a Sonos ZP90 (the direct predecessor to the Sonos Connect) at a thrift store that sells stuff by weight. Ie. I got this thing for like $3). While looking online to see if it's still viable.. I ran across ... This..

https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-and-mods/sonos-connect-modified

These clowns want $550 to swap out some of the components on the freaking digital output. You know... The 1's and 0's one.

Here is one of the silliest Audiophile magical thinking reviews I've read on something for a very long time :sun:

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/re...r-modification/

A sample..

Some Audiophile posted:

The W4S mod doesn’t change the analog output but replaces the entire digital circuit from the I2S output while adding a choice of upsampling rates, which need to be set at the factory. W4S advise 96kHz unless the DAC is somehow designed to sound better with 44kHz. I chose 96kHz because I know that the Rowland Aeris works well with it.

[Skipped some blah blah......]

Bass was more articulate and also more powerful, midrange was more focused and more lively and importantly, the treble retained its fluid character. The latter is likely a result of the 96kHz sample rate, which I am now really happy to have chosen because most of the time higher accuracy not only pertains to the bass and midrange but also to the treble which, when combined with a very revealing system such as mine, can lead to some dryness. Not here. The Sonos actually sounds very juicy. I even thought I detected more spaciousness than before, but this I will need to revisit in order to be sure. But already I can say that this upgrade really makes a big difference

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've lost my goddamned mind

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

A comment on that review:

quote:

i see from your photo that you’re using ethernet connection on the wyred sonos connect. Could you discern any SQ difference between ethernet and wireless connections on the wyred sonos connect since the fave right now is ethernet renderer?

Because 0s and 1s that go through the air are different than 0s and 1s that go through a cable (assuming all other things are equal).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've been watching those Youtubes by audio-zizek where he measures lovely fake hifi gear, and he spends way too much time doing something "because someone will complain" despite the fact that the complainers will never give his measurements any value anyway. (Because they're insane.)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KillHour posted:

My brother has a pair of PC-2000s (non pro) in his theater. You're in for a treat.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The wyred4sound thing in hilarious to me because it's so transparently useless but folks want to believe in the jitter gremlins.

Some people literally can't bring themselves to listen to something "cheap."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've been watching those Youtubes by audio-zizek where he measures lovely fake hifi gear, and he spends way too much time doing something "because someone will complain" despite the fact that the complainers will never give his measurements any value anyway. (Because they're insane.)
He does it to troll them and it works.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

KillHour posted:

I just scanned the "outlet" part, thought you were buying audiophile electrical sockets and agreed.
The reality is much less bonkers
Post a trip report once you get them

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've seen plenty of fancy power cords but never an audiophile outlet. Are there audiophile circuit breaker panels? That was a rhetorical question, of course you want to bypass all the circuit breakers for the purest signal.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

taqueso posted:

I've seen plenty of fancy power cords but never an audiophile outlet. Are there audiophile circuit breaker panels? That was a rhetorical question, of course you want to bypass all the circuit breakers for the purest signal.

http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0114/audiophile_ac_outlets.htm

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Audiophiles don't use electricity from the grid.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Audiophiles don't use electricity from the grid.

my cpu overclocks better when its on lead-acid DC

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

qirex posted:

The wyred4sound thing in hilarious to me because it's so transparently useless but folks want to believe in the jitter gremlins.

Some people literally can't bring themselves to listen to something "cheap."

He does it to troll them and it works.

I bought a Lightning to USB converter in an attempt to hook my DAC (Topping D90) to my iPad and hoooooly poo poo it sounds bad, so it's not like lovely broken digital poo poo isn't a thing. If someone tried to sell me a non-broken audiophile method of hooking USB to an iOS device I may be inclined to give it a shot.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I bought a Lightning to USB converter in an attempt to hook my DAC (Topping D90) to my iPad and hoooooly poo poo it sounds bad, so it's not like lovely broken digital poo poo isn't a thing. If someone tried to sell me a non-broken audiophile method of hooking USB to an iOS device I may be inclined to give it a shot.
That's the whole thing with digital audio, when it's not working right it's extremely obvious. This "upgrade" takes something that is known to work 100% perfectly within spec [say what you will about Sonos' pricing their stuff is super reliable] and makes it "better." I can see wanting to try another DAC but they sell exclusively digital output tweaks.

Also there's a new generation of "otg" lightning to usb C cables that might work. I was super pleased that my Qudelix 5x worked with my iPad Pro.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The only digital audio issue I’ve ever had was with my old DAC and the optical output from my TV, where I’d get random ~1 second audio dropouts. I assumed it was the TV but I got a different DAC and it hasn’t happened since.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
I somehow ended up on an Audiogon mailing list and while some of the things they shill for are reasonable (I have no quarrel with Hifiman) some of them are downright scams: https://add-powr.com/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Man I love to saturate the AC line with programmed harmonics.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey yall!

So I run an Aiyama A07 that powers 2x JBL Studio 530s on my desk.

I recently learned about op amps, and the fact that you can buy discrete op amps and basically upgrade them yourself if you open the amp and replace the chips.

Well, I did that- I got 2x OPA1656 discrete op amps from China post and they finally arrived yesterday.

Placing the chips was relatively straightforward. No issues there.

However, one of the op amps is louder than the other, as far as I can tell.

This carries across both channels; at first the left channel seemed boosted, so I swapped the op amps so that the "louder/fuller" op amp was on the right channel, and it did the same thing.

I talked to the vendor and got a half refund, and just placed an order from a different vendor for 2 more, but I'm just wondering- is this common? I'm not hearing things, right?

I'm completely in the dark about op amps so any kind of advice or explanation would be awesome. Maybe there's something I can do to fix the faulty one?

I reseated them and made sure they were contacting fully and all that. I'm just wondering if this is a known issue and what might cause it. The packaging from china wasn't especially robust, so its possible one got damaged, but they both look completely fine from a structural perspective...

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
maybe you should use some testing equipment to objectively validate what you are hearing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Typically the gain is set with external components, the op amps are very high gain without some feedback. When designing a simple circuit it is generally treated as infinite

Maybe the quieter opamp has a low open circuit gain (aka it's not working right)

If you have some resistors, a voltage source and a meter you could do some basic tests. I'd just wait for the replacements and hope for the best though

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 27, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah thanks guys. I am not technical when it comes to this poo poo so I guess the move is to simply wait it out and see if the new parts work.

I was just hoping someone might know if this is a common problem though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Taima posted:

I recently learned about op amps, and the fact that you can buy discrete op amps and basically upgrade them yourself if you open the amp and replace the chips.

This is literally never worth it.

The circuits are designed around using specific opamps, you can't just switch them around willy-nilly.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You can, depending on what is in there, swap for similar but better ones. Certainly not willy nilly, but it isn't out of the question. Is the result going to be noticeably better? Ehh, maybe if the old ones were really crap. AFAIK it's pretty hard to find a terribad opamp these days

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 27, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fair. The reason I tried it is because the Aiyama A07 in particular is well known for its ability to accept, and supposedly benefit from, discrete op amps.

Switching op amps (or "rolling" as it seems to be referred to?) happens a lot in the audio scene. Of course, the audio scene is chock full of bullshit, so that doesn't mean much.

However I would contest the idea that a device is always inherently suited for a particular op amp and would be negatively affected if another were swapped. I'm not saying its better either but it's clearly at least a wash in most cases, especially if you're swapping a cheap integrated op amp with a discrete, more advanced setup, from what I've seen it is rare that it would sound worse

This is an example of one of the people talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOSrFYola8

Obviously a completely bullshit clickbait title, but this is the idea behind it.

I don't know poo poo about anything though so whatever. It seemed easy and I found some nice discrete op amps from china for like 18$ so I figured why not as a mini side project :shrug:

Users had reported good results with the exact op amps I bought, with the exact amplifier I bought, so it seemed worth an experiment.

In terms of results, I honestly can't really say if its better. I would have to do some kind of blind test, but I lack the tools or really even the motivation. It's certainly not worse than the crappy integrated op amps included in the A07, other than the channel sound issue, which appears to be a problem with one of the two op amps in particular. The working one sounds quite good.

e: removed side audio chat because it upset someone

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 28, 2022

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
FYI, you kind of spent a lot of money for the performance of your system. Also, putting random electronics in things that you aren't even close to understanding is nearly exactly the same as using magic crystals. Worse actually, since you hosed up your sound doing it.

Why did you post in this thread anyway? Did you know you'd get laughed out of a serious stereo thread, or is this performance audiofoolery?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh. Well op amps seem like something that inherently straddle the line between “possibly beneficial” and “fake” so I figured this was a good place to ask about them. I just changed them as a fun side project but wasn’t sure if they actually helped and was also having an issue with one of them perhaps being slightly defective.

It didn’t ruin the sound; one side just seems a bit more quiet, but I could be making it up. I still have the original op amps too so it’s fine.

You don’t like the 530s? I think they’re truly amazing and I’ve heard my share of nice speakers that are significantly more expensive. But I doubt you want to chat, and you’re right that it’s not laser focused on the topic.

You’re kind of taking a light topic and making it super awkward :/ in any case it wasn’t my intention to upset Serious Audio Man. Happy holiday weekend to you.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You're getting taken for a rube by expensive audio fetishists. I'm not upset, and I'm sad that you removed your price list. I'm definitely coming on strong since this an audiophile mock thread. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, there's no need to edit your posts or anything like that. Have a great 3 day weekend!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It's a $79 amp. I get that tinkering with it is fun in the sense that tinkering with an inexpensive low-HP engine or a raspberry pi is fun, but if you want a better amp then you have pretty much the entire marketplace from $100 on up to pick from. Rolling opamps on it with any serious intent beyond "I wanna gently caress around with this equipment" is a quixotic attempt at turd-polishing

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

In the past I've definitely had bits of audio kit that were hotter on the right channel. I never actually looked into why this was though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think the issue is the cheaper OP amp depending on the chip kills some of the flow and brightness floor you get when you're using it. You spend that little money and you basically get the shell for a different chip. TLC2201IP is a good choice it gives you a much better brightness floor while clening the sound for a cleaner more enjoyable experience, and obviously the flow is way better.