Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I dunno, your music already gone through thousands of "lovely" op-amps in mixers etc at the production side and you are worried about a NE5532 in an amp with distortion way below your speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Taima posted:

You’re kind of taking a light topic and making it super awkward :/ in any case it wasn’t my intention to upset Serious Audio Man. Happy holiday weekend to you.

Lol sure he's the one that made this awkward.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thank you everyone who offered comment, I think this is for sure making more sense now.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lol sure he's the one that made this awkward.

Sorry it really wasn't my intention. My apologies. I was just asking about an audio thing that I didn't know much about, and I'm still not that super sure why it got heated. I think I offended the dignity of audio, which makes sense, I'm no expert.

I'm willing to accept that I made it weird; that's fine. I'm just trying to enjoy a 4 day weekend, promise!

Palladium posted:

I dunno, your music already gone through thousands of "lovely" op-amps in mixers etc at the production side and you are worried about a NE5532 in an amp with distortion way below your speakers?

I honestly don't know. Sounds from everyone's opinion like it's a total waste of time. Super fair. I really do appreciate the feedback and had zero intention of... doing whatever just happened there. Thank you.

I totally get that there are much better speakers than the 530s, for sure, but they just speak to me for some reason. I've had way objectively better speakers, but the 530s are super, super fun, and me being a layman, I have literally zero idea why. But you make a good point; the speakers aren't anything objectively special so why do I care regardless? Good question.

It's honestly really hard for me, a layman, to understand what's real about audio and what's fake. Maybe I'm just stupid, but there's a lot of fluff out there and it's super hard to know who is spitting actual truth and who is... well, not. Ultimately I'm just trying to have a little fun and hopefully make my stuff sound better. Whether that's possible or not is unclear. I'm more than willing to agree when I'm wrong or out of pocket.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 28, 2022

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I know you feel attacked. Do you understand that you are in a thread that is made to make fun of people who do things like you are doing? That's why this is happening.

You want advice here? Buy things that you can afford. Buy cables that are sturdy enough to withstand being plugged/unplugged, or get sturdier ones if they're going to get stepped on, etc. Don't try to mod gear unless you understand the underlying principles of the mod. If you want advice then there's an audio questions thread that isn't designed to make fun of people who believe in magic or try to justify spending 10x what is necessary for good sound, or don't measure outputs.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's ok. I was more confused than anything. You make good points and are ultimately just trying to do right by the thread. You're clearly super knowledgable.

I chose the wrong thread and should have been more careful. I feel you, thanks, and will do better.

I would actually be super interested in what you consider a good system (for a desktop stereo setup); I don't have a budget, money is not a concern, I just don't know what I'm doing.

Cheers and sorry.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Taima posted:

I just don't know what I'm doing.

Cheers and sorry.

Here's a few very broad guidelines that I follow. Others may disagree or have more to add.

In reviews, look for objective measurements.

If the sound of a component is described using words more typically used for weather or food, be wary.

The law of diminishing returns always applies.

Assuming they aren't broken and not counting build quality, cables are cables.

1s and 0s are 1s and 0s.

If a big name musician is pushing a technology that promises better sound, it's probably a safe bet it's bullshit.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Taima posted:

I would actually be super interested in what you consider a good system (for a desktop stereo setup); I don't have a budget, money is not a concern, I just don't know what I'm doing.

The largest Ascend Acoustics speakers that will fit on your desk and the old subwoofer and receiver from the last time you upgraded your living room/home theater system.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The 530 and A07 measurements are both pretty good, there is an objective reason you like your setup. If you want to take it to the next level, get a MiniDSP Flex with a microphone and DIrac license. Your A07 will do just fine hooked to the outputs, and it’ll make your 530’s sound even better.

For whatever it’s worth, I used to use an A07 to power my Quad electrostats (ESL-63’s) and B&W PM1’s and it was totally fine.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You guys rock. Bird With Big Dick - I will absolutely check out that speaker manufacturer thank you!

Paul - I appreciate the perspective and will look into the miniDSP Flex! Good to know I'm not completely crazy liking my setup as it exists now, but of course things can ALWAYS be improved especially in the hifi world, that's for sure.

Bird With Big Dick, years ago I liked your username so much it was my public wifi access point name for about 6 months, I live in a packed tourist destination so thousand of people likely enjoyed your name. It did lead to one awkward moment when my inlaws came to visit and I had to explain that the wifi point was "bird with big dick", but my father in law actually loved it and couldn't stop laughing, good times.

I super appreciate people coming to my rescue here, and I'll take every one of yalls opinions to heart, promise. That being said, I've worn out my welcome in a thread that isn't about this topic, so let's rip this discussion and move on.

Love yall <3

e: I'm moving in 2024 and I'll have a dedicated media/gaming room and a huge budget so I'm going to roll back into (THE RIGHT THREAD THIS TIME) and get yalls opinion on a truly amazing setup, you guys all know so drat much. Can't wait

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 29, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

we're contractually obligated to be jerks to people who ask questions in this thread so we don't become the replacement for audio questions thread

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect You Are Gadgets > Ridicule Audiophiles - Your Carpet Is loving Hideous And You Are Dumb

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Jokes on me, I don't even have a carpet

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect You Are Gadgets > Ridicule Audiophiles - Your Carpet Is loving Hideous And You Are Dumb

bird with big dick posted:

Went with the B&W 702s and the bigger of the two centers and I'm in heaven so far. Still need to fart around with placement and run Audyssey. They're rear ported so I should probably try pulling them out a bit more from the wall and experiment with some toe in.

Also thinking I might get some B&W DS3s (dipole/monopoles) and upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1. My last house the room wasn't big enough for 7.1 but this one it should work nicely.

Old vs new:

This, right?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So is the entire concept of “soundstage” audioquackery? If not:
What’s it referring to exactly and how is it legitimately measured or what are the adjectives that should be used to describe it.
Is it only to do with speakers?

If it’s real, then it sounds fake. But I’m not an audiophile, real or ridiculous.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's not quackery, it's basically how instruments sound around you, similar to surround sound in a movie (hence Dolby making moves in the space recently with Apple and the spatial audio stuff). How a lot of audiophiles talk about it however....

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 1, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Adolf Glitter posted:

I just scanned the "outlet" part, thought you were buying audiophile electrical sockets and agreed.
The reality is much less bonkers
Post a trip report once you get them

Trip report: they're loving loud.

Okay, okay, some real info: out of the box they're great for movies but to get them good for music (not absurdly boomy) you need to either stuff the ports or set the crossover super low. I did the latter and set the crossover at 50hz. I kept my SB12-NSD in to fill out the space between 50 and 100 and it works great.

Edit: yes there will be a couch there it hasn't come in yet so I'm chilling on a massive beanbag chair like I'm in college

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 1, 2022

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

namlosh posted:

So is the entire concept of “soundstage” audioquackery? If not:
What’s it referring to exactly and how is it legitimately measured or what are the adjectives that should be used to describe it.
Is it only to do with speakers?

If it’s real, then it sounds fake. But I’m not an audiophile, real or ridiculous.

There’s always some debate, but ‘soundstage’ beyond the recording itself is generally associated with perceptual acoustic metrics such as “Apparent Source Width” and “Lateral Fraction Coefficient”.

Without getting too deep into the maths, these values are calculated at various frequency ranges from a combination of a loudspeaker’s own impulse response to a given input signal, and the room’s separate impulse response to the same signal. You need both an omnidirectional and a figure-8 or dummy head binaural microphone for some of them.

For loudspeaker assessment this is typically qualified by the “early reflections” metric on CTA-2034 standard “Spinorama” data. It’s an indicator of how much sound from the speaker will hit the walls and ceiling in a ‘typical’ listening space, and is based on fairly extensive research and listening tests conducted over some 30 years by Floyd Toole and Sean Olive.

Short summary: not all reflections are bad, so long as they generally affect all frequencies equally.

We don’t generally enjoy listening in an anechoic room (trust me, I’ve done it quite a lot).
A speaker with consistent frequency response at various listening angles is generally preferable to one that sounds amazing directly in front of it, but has big peaks and dips in the response when you move off to the sides or above.

To generate these plots you need anechoic measurements at multiple positions around a loudspeaker. The associated AES standard calls for 5 degree resolution in a full balloon, but points may be skipped if the speaker cabinet has symmetry planes.

A decent primer on loudspeaker measurements is available here:
https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/understanding-loudspeaker-measurements
And for Spinorama data specifically:
https://www.sausalitoaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Interpreting-Spinorama-Charts.pdf
https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/choosing-new-speakers-using-spinorama-part-one/

Unfortunately it takes quite a bit of practice and experience to be able to understand what most of this data actually indicates or means.

A few reviewers publish this data, but it may only be generated from horizontal and vertical plane data every ten degrees. There’s a couple of German magazines, some bigger ones like Stereophole, etc. You can trust anything with Anselm Goertz in the byline, and there are two ‘independent’ guys - Erin & Amir - with a very expensive acoustic holography measurement tool called a Klippel NFS that publish their own data on either the AudioScienceReview website or Erin’s Audio Corner website.

Be warned that reading the plot first - or even seeing the physical speaker or brand name - has been proven by the same guys (Toole & Olive) to massively influence the subjective assessment of a loudspeaker. Unconscious bias works both ways.

There’s more to it than just this plot, of course. Issues like poor temporal alignment of each transducer, intermodulation distortion (where one cone makes another move, or a single cone starts to ripple instead of moving like a piston), and the like.

If you’d like to read more about this sort of stuff, Toole’s book is a great place to start. It’s got lots of diagrams and relatively plain English explanations about all sorts of perceptual sound stuff, with lots of practical advice that should help prevent you spending obscene amounts of cash on bullshit:
https://books.google.com/books/about/Sound_Reproduction.html?id=tJ0uDwAAQBAJ

Obviously, there’s a bunch of folk who seriously hate this work. Common complaints are that it’s based on ‘only the majority of people’ rather than trained listeners. There are absolutely clear distinctions between trained and untrained listeners in all sorts of research data, but as ever confirmation bias also heavily exists in all sorts of folk.

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 1, 2022

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Neurophonic posted:

There’s always some debate, but ‘soundstage’ beyond the recording itself is generally associated with perceptual acoustic metrics such as “Apparent Source Width” and “Lateral Fraction Coefficient”.

Without getting too deep into the maths, these values are calculated at various frequency ranges from a combination of a loudspeaker’s own impulse response to a given input signal, and the room’s separate impulse response to the same signal. You need both an omnidirectional and a figure-8 or dummy head binaural microphone for some of them.

For loudspeaker assessment this is typically qualified by the “early reflections” metric on CTA-2034 standard “Spinorama” data. It’s an indicator of how much sound from the speaker will hit the walls and ceiling in a ‘typical’ listening space, and is based on fairly extensive research and listening tests conducted over some 30 years by Floyd Toole and Sean Olive.

Short summary: not all reflections are bad, so long as they generally affect all frequencies equally.

We don’t generally enjoy listening in an anechoic room (trust me, I’ve done it quite a lot).
A speaker with consistent frequency response at various listening angles is generally preferable to one that sounds amazing directly in front of it, but has big peaks and dips in the response when you move off to the sides or above.

To generate these plots you need anechoic measurements at multiple positions around a loudspeaker. The associated AES standard calls for 5 degree resolution in a full balloon, but points may be skipped if the speaker cabinet has symmetry planes.

A decent primer on loudspeaker measurements is available here:
https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/understanding-loudspeaker-measurements
And for Spinorama data specifically:
https://www.sausalitoaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Interpreting-Spinorama-Charts.pdf
https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/choosing-new-speakers-using-spinorama-part-one/

Unfortunately it takes quite a bit of practice and experience to be able to understand what most of this data actually indicates or means.

A few reviewers publish this data, but it may only be generated from horizontal and vertical plane data every ten degrees. There’s a couple of German magazines, some bigger ones like Stereophole, etc. You can trust anything with Anselm Goertz in the byline, and there are two ‘independent’ guys - Erin & Amir - with a very expensive acoustic holography measurement tool called a Klippel NFS that publish their own data on either the AudioScienceReview website or Erin’s Audio Corner website.

Be warned that reading the plot first - or even seeing the physical speaker or brand name - has been proven by the same guys (Toole & Olive) to massively influence the subjective assessment of a loudspeaker. Unconscious bias works both ways.

There’s more to it than just this plot, of course. Issues like poor temporal alignment of each transducer, intermodulation distortion (where one cone makes another move, or a single cone starts to ripple instead of moving like a piston), and the like.

If you’d like to read more about this sort of stuff, Toole’s book is a great place to start. It’s got lots of diagrams and relatively plain English explanations about all sorts of perceptual sound stuff, with lots of practical advice that should help prevent you spending obscene amounts of cash on bullshit:
https://books.google.com/books/about/Sound_Reproduction.html?id=tJ0uDwAAQBAJ

Obviously, there’s a bunch of folk who seriously hate this work. Common complaints are that it’s based on ‘only the majority of people’ rather than trained listeners. There are absolutely clear distinctions between trained and untrained listeners in all sorts of research data, but as ever confirmation bias also heavily exists in all sorts of folk.

Magic, got it :D

No for real, even though I may not have understood all of it, I now understand more and appreciate it.

So, throughout all of this measurement it seems that environment plays a huge part. It’s awesome that some people are fighting the good fight and trying to get empirical data on something with so many variables. Easy mode would be to hold the environment perfectly stable as a control, but you already mentioned that anechoic chambers won’t give very accurate results regarding how good something sounds. What a tough nut to crack…

Question: what’s “temporal alignment of the transducer”, something to do with the voicecoil?
And what’s a “full balloon”, lol

Again, thx

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Trip report: they're loving loud.

Okay, okay, some real info: out of the box they're great for movies but to get them good for music (not absurdly boomy) you need to either stuff the ports or set the crossover super low. I did the latter and set the crossover at 50hz. I kept my SB12-NSD in to fill out the space between 50 and 100 and it works great.

Edit: yes there will be a couch there it hasn't come in yet so I'm chilling on a massive beanbag chair like I'm in college

Get a carpet and some room treatment, sheesh, this is amateur hour.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

Get a carpet and some room treatment, sheesh, this is amateur hour.

I know that this is the thread for ridiculing people but didn't we go through 3 pages of telling a goon to rip up their carpet?

I'm looking for a rug that I like but I haven't found one yet. I'm also obviously going to tack up those wires so they aren't just hanging out.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So did you post your dumb gear in your echo chamber to get made fun of on purpose, or are you somehow surprised?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LRADIKAL posted:

This, right?

Well it's pretty ugly, sure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KillHour posted:

I know that this is the thread for ridiculing people but didn't we go through 3 pages of telling a goon to rip up their carpet?

I'm looking for a rug that I like but I haven't found one yet. I'm also obviously going to tack up those wires so they aren't just hanging out.

You need audiophile level carpet. Some carpet will mute the natural airiness you'll get from classical music or that twant from a hi-hat in rock and roll. Really you should have separate carpets for the type of music you want to listen to. Everything in your space is really important to how your space sounds.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What kind of carpet goes with black metal?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The kind with dried animal urine seeped in and cigarette burn marks everywhere

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'So, does the carpet match the drapes?'

'No, I wasn't getting a satisfactory frequency response that way.'

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So you're really going to want the carpet that's going to give you the most lunch from your low end and higher end frequencies while muting the mids a little, but still carrying them. I'd avoid stain master as the coating really doesn't give you this. You're better off with carpet tile from my experimenting this is the best.

I'd avoid any kid of drapes because you want to avoid Windows as they can really gently caress with resonance at the end of the frequency tail.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tater_salad posted:

So you're really going to want the carpet that's going to give you the most lunch from your low end and higher end frequencies while muting the mids a little, but still carrying them. I'd avoid stain master as the coating really doesn't give you this. You're better off with carpet tile from my experimenting this is the best.

I'd avoid any kid of drapes because you want to avoid Windows as they can really gently caress with resonance at the end of the frequency tail.

Nevermind. I just lit my house on fire and it made exactly the sound I was after.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
just lol if you aren’t listening in an open field, far from any and all manmade noise

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
You need to take the carpet to the forest, cover it in dirt and dead animals, leave it for a month, and then bring it back to your listening room. Any detritus that can't be brushed off will help expand the soundstage and really let you feel the low end frequencies. The scent and motion of any fungus or small animal infestations enhances the feeling of dread you should already be getting, plus it'll diffuse some of the sharper treble notes, especially when it comes to hi hats.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

carpet that smells like two-to-three generations of white Americans smoked on it constantly

and maybe also had a bunch of dogs and/or cats

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
carpet that smells like it lived through a working class family in the 80s and 90s and maybe even 70s (70s would’ve been more commonly appropriate a decade ago, at a certain point you gotta rip used carpet out)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Laughing at you poors and your carpet, I have custom chinchilla panels on all 4 walls, ceiling and floor. The cruelty increases high frequency microdetails.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh man I bet. I'm getting older though so the microdeets don't really translate to my hearing sadly.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Another day at ASR, another hideously overpriced piece of turd exposed:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/naim-uniti-atom-review-streamer-amp.35213/unread

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

B-b-b-but WhatHiFi gave it *****!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There’s a flip side to ASR style measurements that a lot of people don’t want to admit which is that gear that measures badly can still sound good. That Naim stuff is seriously overpriced for sure [it’s almost as expensive as a NAD M33] but not everybody wants a huge stack of mismatched Topping and miniDSP gear as their system.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The important measure is "does it sound good enough that no audible flaws can be heard?".

Basically every AVR will show bad SINAD numbers, but I'm perfectly happy with my Denon, because the room correction and bass management more than make up for a slight deficiency in SNR.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 26, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

qirex posted:

There’s a flip side to ASR style measurements that a lot of people don’t want to admit which is that gear that measures badly can still sound good. That Naim stuff is seriously overpriced for sure [it’s almost as expensive as a NAD M33] but not everybody wants a huge stack of mismatched Topping and miniDSP gear as their system.

KozmoNaut posted:

The important measure is "does it sound good enough that no audible flaws can be heard?".

Basically every AVR will show bad SINAD numbers, but I'm perfectly happy with my Denon, because the room correction and bass management more than make up for a slight deficiency in SNR.

Yeah, absolutely. And there's the point that sometimes he's all HIGH NOISE FLOORRRRR but then it's about -96dB and it's just... so what? It ain't audible. I live (like many people) in a small house with people through the walls and cars outside and aeroplanes and wind noise from trees and poo poo, and I'm willing to bet that 70% of the stuff that gets a LOLPOOR rating from the ASR fanboys I would never be able to hear a problem with because of the ambient noise floor and the fact that I don't listen to things at particularly loud volumes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

tater_salad posted:

Oh man I bet. I'm getting older though so the microdeets don't really translate to my hearing sadly.

I got some great microdeets from a geordie once. Trippin balls canny lad