Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hi, I hope this is the right thread for this question.

I have a 15 year old carousel CD player with 200 discs in it which I haven't used for a while. It used to be hooked up to a receiver which fed to hard wired speakers. The wires went under the floorboards and back up to speakers in the living room and kitchen.

We had some floors installed and got rid of the stereo and speakers, and got a Harmon Kardon wifi speaker instead (not bluetooth). I've been streaming music to it ever since from my phone, but I found the CD carousel in the basement and realized that it might be nice to hook the CD player back up and listen to those old discs. I

So is there a way to hook up an old-style CD player to a device that can wifi signal to the Harmon Kardon speaker? If so, is it complicated to do or prohibitively expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Might be a better question for the 2channel/vintage thread, but I'll throw out a tentative answer anyways.

looks like the Adapt might do it. It does look like it's discontinued but ebay may prove fruitful

quote:

3.5mm input for connecting a computer, TV, iPod, or other device; music can be streamed to other Omni devices

if your HK speaker uses Omni i'm pretty sure you can get a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable and rig this up to the changer and you're good to go.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Might be a better question for the 2channel/vintage thread, but I'll throw out a tentative answer anyways.

looks like the Adapt might do it. It does look like it's discontinued but ebay may prove fruitful

if your HK speaker uses Omni i'm pretty sure you can get a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable and rig this up to the changer and you're good to go.

A third party product that does a similar job is the new Link 2:
https://www.audiopro.com/en/product/link-2/

I think the older Link 1 does the same job for cheaper, but is uglier.

You’d be best off checking which wireless protocols your Harmon Kardon speaker uses first, though.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

A third party product that does a similar job is the new Link 2:
https://www.audiopro.com/en/product/link-2/

I think the older Link 1 does the same job for cheaper, but is uglier.

You’d be best off checking which wireless protocols your Harmon Kardon speaker uses first, though.

It's a Harman Kardon Citation 500 speaker

According to the HK website it's 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz/5GHz)

Is that what you meant?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

there are several of those adapts for sale on Ebay, so that could work. I'm not sure how to find out if the speaker uses Omni.

Are you saying I can just hook up the CD player directly to the adapt and I won't need any other hardware to get sound out of the speaker without the need for a separate receiver? that would be great if it worked that way.

predicto fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 9, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think so yeah.

but i also want to point out that your speaker does support bluetooth as well, and RCA to BT transmitters are like $20 on amazon

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

I think so yeah.

but i also want to point out that your speaker does support bluetooth as well, and RCA to BT transmitters are like $20 on amazon

Wow. Ok, thanks for all the help!

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Got a spam email recently about "digital noise reduction technology" gear and though oh, interesting, someone decided to do an outboard DSP to clean up vinyl playback or something, that's not a terrible idea. Well, that turned out not to be what they were selling:

https://www.kevalinaudio.com/extisolators

Yay, pointless digital signal chain stuff for the tinfoil hat crowd!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

strtj posted:

Got a spam email recently about "digital noise reduction technology" gear and though oh, interesting, someone decided to do an outboard DSP to clean up vinyl playback or something, that's not a terrible idea. Well, that turned out not to be what they were selling:

wait a second….Waversa…WaverSA

:tinfoil:

did one of you finally do that thing we joke about doing every year or so?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
reminds me when Amirm from ASR tried his hardest to inductively interfere a unbalanced line level cable with a bigass transformer, and still got next to nothing on the Audio Precision scope

Palladium fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 18, 2022

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I use balanced cables because they click into place, which makes me happy.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

strtj posted:

Poking around that site looking for their “patent” number and found this:

https://www.kevalinaudio.com/product-page/waversa-ext-reference-plus-series-hdmi-usb-lan-ethernet-coax-bnc-aes-ebu
$14,000 and I assume it’s a similar claim…

Lol, boomers

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

namlosh posted:

https://www.kevalinaudio.com/product-page/waversa-ext-reference-plus-series-hdmi-usb-lan-ethernet-coax-bnc-aes-ebu

Lol, boomers

"Somehow it removes 'digital' distortion (that I didn't hear before)" I think sums up this whole thing pretty nicely. I often wonder if the people making this stuff believe any part of their own lies but nope, that's the customer quote you chose. Good job separating idiots from their money I guess.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

I use balanced cables because they click into place, which makes me happy.

You can run balanced audio over anything with three connectors, it's just that XLR is what most of the world has standardized on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because XLR is the best connector for audio. It just is.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Definitely overkill for most applications, but definitely the best

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Despite the plastic (which never failed for me personally) I was always a fan of the speakon connector.

But the dude who wins most is the guy who made the connector that works with both XLR and 1/4” jacks. Genius.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

strtj posted:

You can run balanced audio over anything with three connectors, it's just that XLR is what most of the world has standardized on.

We ran 3 conductor wire for the subwoofers in my brother’s home theater. We did it because it was a negligible additional expense, the cables had to run parallel to a lot of electrical lines, and some of the runs were getting longer than than anything I had personally done with RCA. We wired them with RCA connectors because his receiver only had RCA outputs, but he would have upgraded if needed.

There was no added noise. I’m convinced that you have to actively try if you want to add electrical noise to most home setups, outside of ground loops from bad wiring.

But I do still use XLR, even though my preamp and amp are right next to each other, because they really are pleasant to use.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

namlosh posted:

Lol, boomers

I used to think that having a website that looks like it was made by a single amateur in 2001 was simply a quirk, an artifact of the kinds of dudes running these scams and making audiophool snake oil products, but now I’m starting to think that it serves a deliberate screening purpose much like how “Nigerian Prince” scams are worded in a manner that would alienate 99.99% of readers in order to select for the teeny tiny percentage of most receptive marks.

Because to anybody under the age of 60, and/or who isn’t completely brain-addled, any company that purports to be a legitimate, high-technical business staffed with engineers and experts making high end equipment that beats or competes with the best that the heavy hitters in the industry can produce and also has their product website look like it was made in a template downloaded from a geocities page is like a ground floor-level red flag

Like the world’s most basic Squarespace page looks more professional

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ok Comboomer posted:

I used to think that having a website that looks like it was made by a single amateur in 2001 was simply a quirk, an artifact of the kinds of dudes running these scams and making audiophool snake oil products, but now I’m starting to think that it serves a deliberate screening purpose much like how “Nigerian Prince” scams are worded in a manner that would alienate 99.99% of readers in order to select for the teeny tiny percentage of most receptive marks.

Because to anybody under the age of 60, and/or who isn’t completely brain-addled, any company that purports to be a legitimate, high-technical business staffed with engineers and experts making high end equipment that beats or competes with the best that the heavy hitters in the industry can produce and also has their product website look like it was made in a template downloaded from a geocities page is like a ground floor-level red flag

Like the world’s most basic Squarespace page looks more professional

A lot of this is so that places that are still running machines from 20 years ago can order unencumbered. Places like US military contractors.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
So you’re right about it specializing in serving the most gullible, but it’s not a direct relationship

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

Because XLR is the best connector for audio. It just is.

It's the best connector (housing) for cat RJ45s too!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Despite the plastic (which never failed for me personally) I was always a fan of the speakon connector.

But the dude who wins most is the guy who made the connector that works with both XLR and 1/4” jacks. Genius.

Yeah my Zoom R24 recorder/Interface and my Roland 2x2 interface has those combo connectors and they're freaking amazing

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's the best connector (housing) for cat RJ45s too!

I can't tell if this is a joke or you're just having a stroke right now

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

strtj posted:

neutrik makes an rj45 that fits in the same cutout and has the same housing as an xlr. They really are awesome.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/data/ethercon

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

strtj posted:

Ethercon is how a lot of the equipment like big videowalls at a show or concert get interconnected.

As a new stagehand who is coming from IT it is an affront to my sensibilities.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Ethercon is how a lot of the equipment like big videowalls at a show or concert get interconnected.

Also common in studio settings to connect rack busses to things like mixing desks/interfaces/etc

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TheMadMilkman posted:

We ran 3 conductor wire for the subwoofers in my brother’s home theater. We did it because it was a negligible additional expense, the cables had to run parallel to a lot of electrical lines, and some of the runs were getting longer than than anything I had personally done with RCA. We wired them with RCA connectors because his receiver only had RCA outputs, but he would have upgraded if needed.

There was no added noise. I’m convinced that you have to actively try if you want to add electrical noise to most home setups, outside of ground loops from bad wiring.

But I do still use XLR, even though my preamp and amp are right next to each other, because they really are pleasant to use.

i like how balanced interconnects is simply a standard feature in even in basic pro audio but becomes ANCIENT ALIENS tech in snake oil hifi

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Palladium posted:

i like how balanced interconnects is simply a standard feature in even in basic pro audio but becomes ANCIENT ALIENS tech in snake oil hifi

It’s getting more common, Pro-ject even recently released a balanced turntable

Only $1700 which barely qualifies for this thread since there’s people who will spend 5 grand on a tonearm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Palladium posted:

Hey man, just because you have an affordable pro amp that measures ruler-flat doesn’t mean poo poo

let me write you a ten thousand word screed about why my boutique-built magic space heater that cost six times as much and measures way way worse is actually the much superior way to be transported to the smoke-filled Diana Krall room, using my deep understanding of physics

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hey man, just because you have an affordable pro amp that measures ruler-flat doesn’t mean poo poo

let me write you a ten thousand word screed about why my boutique-built magic space heater that cost six times as much and measures way way worse is actually the much superior way to be transported to the smoke-filled Diana Krall room, using my deep understanding of physics

jokes on me, my godless pro amps are inside the speakers themselves

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

qirex posted:

It’s getting more common, Pro-ject even recently released a balanced turntable
Time to start selling an audiophile scale for rebalancing cables. If they get too heavy at one end or another the best sounding parts just fall out, of course.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
huh. my apologies, running audio over RJ45 is not something I'd seen before, and saying "(balanced) is the best connector for (this connector)" seemed like some sort of weird troll

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

strtj posted:

huh. my apologies, running audio over RJ45 is not something I'd seen before, and saying "(balanced) is the best connector for (this connector)" seemed like some sort of weird troll

You're still running Ethernet over it, it's just a connector fitting in the same patch bays you're using for the rest of your studio/stage setup.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

strtj posted:

nielsm posted:

You're still running Ethernet over it, it's just a connector fitting in the same patch bays you're using for the rest of your studio/stage setup.

Yeah I think you can just jam regular CAT5/6 in the port in a pinch, but it doesn't secure properly and has no weather resistance.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

Time to start selling an audiophile scale for rebalancing cables. If they get too heavy at one end or another the best sounding parts just fall out, of course.

An in-line filter to insert in front of your balanced USB DAC that converts each packet into a binary search tree, balances it, and reconverts it.

It uses 3 tubes (plus 2 in the linear power supply) and has a VU meter showing the “error” rate for the incoming signal.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A digital filter that balances the 1s and 0s so there's exactly the same amount of each.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BonHair posted:

A digital filter that balances the 1s and 0s so there's exactly the same amount of each.

Fortunately ethernet already does this

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Fortunately ethernet already does this

Wait, what? How does that not gently caress the data up if it just do happens to contain a bunch of zeros (like my posting)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Compression gets you pretty close to a random distribution of 1 and 0, which comes to around 50/50.