Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ok Comboomer posted:

at one point you accuse me of misattributing statements but then also you attribute a bunch of things to me that I certainly never said

Literally where are you getting this? The only statement of yours I addressed as misattributing was the word "dogshit." Tech12s are fine - they play records good. I couldn't give fewer shits what 'the best turntable' is. I was wrong to make the statements I did. Take the W and move on.

quote:

if this is an attempt at trolling its not very funny

Oh my bad, mightiest arbiter of humour in the audiophile thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LRADIKAL posted:

I think, to repeat myself, that he is saying records sound bad. Or at least not as good as digital.

Which is true.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mister Speaker posted:

Literally where are you getting this? The only statement of yours I addressed as misattributing was the word "dogshit." Tech12s are fine - they play records good. I couldn't give fewer shits what 'the best turntable' is. I was wrong to make the statements I did. Take the W and move on.

my dude, you’ve been practically posting word salad

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not really, it just looks that way because you're reading it through bad converters.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's the problem with covering analog speech to a digital format.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Seriously though, I really want to hear what you think would be a better turntable for your average vinyl enthusiast than a 1200.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When my Dad was alive and playing me lots of music it was on some kind of belt-drive Marantz with some kind of Ortofon cart that I can't recall, and delicate as it was, I always thought it tracked better than the various 1200s and Stantons that I was playing around with at the time. But like I said, I couldn't give less of a gently caress what 'your average vinyl enthusiast' listens on because I'm not a huge loving dork.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think your average vinyl enthusiast would be fine with any mediocre USB capable turntable with a pre-ampped rca out. The primary concern is putting the vinyl on the thing and getting easy outputs.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

Stop calling them “Tech12s”. They’re either “Technics” , “The Ones and Twos” or “The Wheels of Steel”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
“Tech12” makes them sound like they’re a kind of gun, and gently caress that poo poo

Clearly this is a thread of peace

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

When my Dad was alive and playing me lots of music it was on some kind of belt-drive Marantz with some kind of Ortofon cart that I can't recall, and delicate as it was, I always thought it tracked better than the various 1200s and Stantons that I was playing around with at the time. But like I said, I couldn't give less of a gently caress what 'your average vinyl enthusiast' listens on because I'm not a huge loving dork.

That's fair, Marantz made some pretty decent turntables and you can't really go wrong with an Ortofon cartridge. 1200s and especially Stantons tend to be much more abused and have shittier cartridges/needles on them so I can see where you're coming from. The point is that if you have a good quality 1200 that you're not banging into things and you put a good quality cartridge/needle on it, it'll almost certainly be a better setup than the Marantz.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I just wish I had speed correction on my old Hitachi PS-15. It tracks just slightly too slow. She's pretty though:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mederlock posted:

I just wish I had speed correction on my old Hitachi PS-15. It tracks just slightly too slow. She's pretty though:

You just know hitachi brings just the right vibrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BonHair posted:

:captainpop:

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

BonHair posted:

:ocelot:

Replacing the larger capacitors might help. Even decks that were made to last for a generation are getting old by those standards.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

strtj posted:

:ocelot:

Replacing the larger capacitors might help. Even decks that were made to last for a generation are getting old by those standards.

That's a great idea, this unit is from the 70's, and soldering/small electronics repair is a new hobby I've been getting into lately. I'm sure the caps are well overdue for a change.

E:

BonHair posted:

It's Full-Auto :science:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 21, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Every pair of 1210s I've used was battered from being carted around from venue to venue by a guy who insists he must only spin vinyl and makes out like if you can't beat match on vinyl you can't DJ. The same guy who spends like 2 minutes chasing the kick and plays a really boring set of the same poo poo he always does.

I always quite liked Numark's TTX decks, those came with all the 1210 goodies but had an absurdly strong motor on them and a line level out which simplified things a bit.

Anyway vinyl purist DJs are especially weird because gently caress carting round all that poo poo. By all means enjoy listening to it at home but at this point if you're a vinyl DJ and your entire crate isn't unreleased-on-any-other-format tunes and dub plates then you're just making things harder than they need to be.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Mederlock posted:

I have a PS-38 with speed correction and it still runs too slowly by the end of a side. my next TT is definitely going to have quartz lock

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just use Spotify with a usbc to headphones jack via an aux cable on my car (it's for Bose system). Better than any other Audio fight me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I just use Spotify with a usbc to headphones jack via an aux cable on my car (it's for Bose system). Better than any other Audio fight me.

Ridicule Audiophiles: “it’s for Bose system”

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I place my phone with loudspeaker on the pickup of my guitar and run it via the pickup into my overdriven Marshall stack.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

BonHair posted:

I place my phone with loudspeaker on the pickup of my guitar and run it via the pickup into my overdriven Marshall stack.
This actually sounds kinda rad.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Steve Stevens used to do that with one of those dollar store laser gun toys that plays a different gun effect every time you pull the trigger.

https://youtu.be/It_fVucKTzY

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This actually sounds kinda rad.

It is. It's also definitely the least faithful reproduction of the recording short of a cover.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.
I use a beat up SL-1700 mk1 with a busted 45rpm adjustment pot that needs new silicone fluid for the cueing arm. I wouldn't trade it for any new reasonably priced belt drive TT.

And that's coming from a guy that covers his amplifier in objects designed to counteract vibrations, negative resonance, and EMI all while trapping heat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've heard that cat purrs were used to cure broken bones... Maybe they're good for rounding the digital audio waves. How is your sound stage with audio companion installed vs without audio companion?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Every pair of 1210s I've used was battered from being carted around from venue to venue by a guy who insists he must only spin vinyl and makes out like if you can't beat match on vinyl you can't DJ. The same guy who spends like 2 minutes chasing the kick and plays a really boring set of the same poo poo he always does.

I always quite liked Numark's TTX decks, those came with all the 1210 goodies but had an absurdly strong motor on them and a line level out which simplified things a bit.

Anyway vinyl purist DJs are especially weird because gently caress carting round all that poo poo. By all means enjoy listening to it at home but at this point if you're a vinyl DJ and your entire crate isn't unreleased-on-any-other-format tunes and dub plates then you're just making things harder than they need to be.

Turntablists are now at the stage hairy rock bands were when all those floppy haired kids turned up with DX7s in the early 80s :(

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Marman1209 posted:

I use a beat up SL-1700 mk1 with a busted 45rpm adjustment pot that needs new silicone fluid for the cueing arm. I wouldn't trade it for any new reasonably priced belt drive TT.

And that's coming from a guy that covers his amplifier in objects designed to counteract vibrations, negative resonance, and EMI all while trapping heat.

Man, which Denon is that? How are you liking it?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

I've heard that cat purrs were used to cure broken bones... Maybe they're good for rounding the digital audio waves. How is your sound stage with audio companion installed vs without audio companion?

You see, the standing resonant frequency waves of the cat's purring counteracts the ground loop quantum entanglement that muddies the power line harmonics. You'll notice a big boost in the airiness and clawlike transients in the melodic overtones.

:science:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Tangentially related but I've been thinking about 'synthesis for cats'. I wonder what kind of patches I could make in any one of my synths, that a cat would find pleasing. Have there been studies on this?

I imagine they like low rumbling tones like their own purring. Off the top of my head (not opening my DAW because I'm literally that lazy rn) I could probably replicate this with some subby noise/rumble oscillators simply amplitude modulated by a couple of LFOs for that purr texture.

Intermittent staccato chirps from a 303 with the resonance and env mod turned up also sound a lot like birds.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My cat leaves the room for most music but if I put on https://relaxingjazz.com/ she sits in front of the speaker and stares at it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
it'd be funny if 'relaxingjazz.com' redirected to a Venetian Snares live set.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have seen venetian snares live and it was the laziest thing I've ever seen. Dude just smoked next to his laptop while winamp or w/e played.
Went to a linux convention in the same road trip!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My old man cat likes jazz (which earned him the nickname Reginald J. Tubbs, Esq, where the J stands for "Jazzcat"), but the new kitten seems mostly startled by 303 clones and Pocket Operators.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wayne Knight posted:

I have seen venetian snares live and it was the laziest thing I've ever seen. Dude just smoked next to his laptop while winamp or w/e played.
Went to a linux convention in the same road trip!

Ah that sucks man, he was fun when I saw him back years ago. Someone on YouTube took my video and tweaked it and got like 180,000 views on it. I think my original on vimeo got a few hundred total ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaFIQNZmfB4

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.theaudioanalyst.com/audionet-pam-g2-exp/

what's the level of cognitive dissonance required to write a 2500 word review of a $20K phono preamp + power supply without any hard measurements (and terrible fonts)

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Palladium posted:

https://www.theaudioanalyst.com/audionet-pam-g2-exp/

what's the level of cognitive dissonance required to write a 2500 word review of a $20K phono preamp + power supply without any hard measurements (and terrible fonts)
You're just jealous because your phono preamp can't clearly play all the way up to 2Mhz.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.

TooLShack posted:

Man, which Denon is that? How are you liking it?

PMA-A110.

I love it, but it’s hard to say much about it. It’s very straightforward sound-wise. Which I guess is the goal. I was aiming for a big dumb AB amp that can supply all the current I’d ever want and it fit the bill.

Looks nicer than the Hint 6 and when you take the top cover off the inside is a work of art. I’m sure that effects the sound quality.

tater_salad posted:

Big improvement since she is often loafing directly behind my head otherwise.

Marman1209 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 6, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

Tangentially related but I've been thinking about 'synthesis for cats'. I wonder what kind of patches I could make in any one of my synths, that a cat would find pleasing. Have there been studies on this?

I imagine they like low rumbling tones like their own purring. Off the top of my head (not opening my DAW because I'm literally that lazy rn) I could probably replicate this with some subby noise/rumble oscillators simply amplitude modulated by a couple of LFOs for that purr texture.

Intermittent staccato chirps from a 303 with the resonance and env mod turned up also sound a lot like birds.

Yes, actually! This paper, as well as the papers in it's citations, has lots of information on the topic

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272568759_Cats_Prefer_Species-Appropriate_Music

The Paper posted:

with appropriate human music controls. The average pitch (tessitura) of both cat compositions (1.34 kHz) was about 2 octaves higher than the human control pieces (335 Hz) and was an octave above the upper range of the fundamental frequency of cat vocalizations [...]

The music was composed to have a calming effect on cats and also incorporated features to make the music interesting to cats. Cozmo’s Air has a pulse related to purring of 1380 beats per minute (Peters, 2002) with melodic sliding frequencies covering 44% of the sample. Rusty’s Ballad had a pulse rate related to suckling of 250 beats per minute and 55% of the sample consisted of melodic siding frequencies. Sliding frequencies appear in many types of cat vocalizations (Brown and Bradshaw, 2014, Romand and Ehret, 1984), but are uncommon in human speech. In line with our theory of how music affects emotions, both pieces had consonant harmonies and pure tones. However, it is important to note that neither composition imitated natural cat vocalizations.

Pretty interesting stuff. Here's a website from someone that's made music along these principles: https://www.musicforcats.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lowclock posted:

You're just jealous because your phono preamp can't clearly play all the way up to 2Mhz.

what do you mean that my sound system can also do pregnancy scans