Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I just swapped an aging VFD on a 15 year old squeezebox boom to make it like new again, a device abandoned by its maker but still very functional because the architecture is open. It's possible to make a high quality endpoint that would be useless without a service or server and still ensure it can have a useful life after it's no longer profitable to sell or maintain. More companies should do that.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/xSnrQBfBCzY

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Was in a band in the late 90s and one of the recording studios gave us a VHS tape with the tracks on it (can't recall if it was Alesis ADAT format). Obviously was never able to get the recordings off (wonder if I still have the tape somewhere?).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah same, never got the ADAT tape though just a regular DAT downmix.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I work in a music store and had a guy call the other day trying to restore some ADAT tapes. He was asking about splicing them, like analog tape (or film). I didn't know what to tell him. There's no way you could do that accurately, right? Without like an electron microscope? Helical head and all?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tapes in cassettes aren't meant to be spliced. The only valid reason to remove a tape from a cassette is to fix a tangled tape.

E: The reason you used tapes for digital audio in late 80's and the 90's was that magnetic disk storage wasn't affordable/available for the data sizes you needed. Nowadays there's no reason to use digital audio tapes past transferring to HDD/SSD storage, then process them however after that.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 11, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nielsm posted:

Tapes in cassettes aren't meant to be spliced. The only valid reason to remove a tape from a cassette is to fix a tangled tape.

E: The reason you used tapes for digital audio in late 80's and the 90's was that magnetic disk storage wasn't affordable/available for the data sizes you needed. Nowadays there's no reason to use digital audio tapes past transferring to HDD/SSD storage, then process them however after that.

Aren’t certain tape storage formats still preferred for super long-term data backup and storage over HDD/SSD?

Edit: yes, but nothing that would be used to store working audio files/etc. I’m sure that some labels probably have magnetic tape backups of their more valuable digital masters/etc.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 11, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tape is cheaper per TB than hard drives and lasts longer, so it's popular for backups that you don't expect to use except in an emergency. Since you have to wind the tape through to get to whatever file you want it's useless for day to day work.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I was looking for some cheap risers because my blu ray player is sitting on top of the AV amp which is terrible for thermals but it's the only place I can put it on the shelf and lol there's some good stuff out there:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IsoAcousti...6484312&sr=8-15

some idiot posted:

Winner of the Absolute Sound Golden Ear Award 2020, 2019 EISA Award for Best Product, Stereophile Product of the year 2019, and Stereophile Editor’s Choice 2018.
The GAIA I includes thread adaptors for sizes M8-1.25, M12-1.25 and ¼”-20. Alternative thread size adaptors are available upon request. Contact the amazon seller or IsoAcoustics for alternate thread size adaptors.
PATENTED ISOACOUSTICS ISOLATION: Tested at the National Research Council of Canada (NRC). The IsoAcoustics award winning isolators manage the energy of the speaker to reduce vibrations resonating through the supporting surface and reduce internal reflections to eliminate smear. The result is an improved stereo image of natural spatial sound.

~~golden ears~~

only £200 for the small ones and £500 for the large, a bargain!

there's also the speaker spikes advertising that they are "pure copper" and a set of rubber puck things where you can get 12 for £15 or £15 for 11. The second ones are cheaper because they're advertising them as stands for outdoor pot plants lmao, so the exact same product just in a box with "audio isolators" written on them is more expensive.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Qwertycoatl posted:

Tape is cheaper per TB than hard drives and lasts longer, so it's popular for backups that you don't expect to use except in an emergency. Since you have to wind the tape through to get to whatever file you want it's useless for day to day work.

Yeah, a friend of mine in the film industry was recently working at a, uh... media... conversion place? Idk, the kind of place where film studios send their raw media to have it processed for like, proxy editing and stuff, and he said that they still used tape drives for archival purposes for exactly those reasons.

I still think the guy who thought he could splice ADAT was having a laugh.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

An current gen tape drive is rather pricey but once you have that tapes are much, much cheaper per TB than even the cheapest hard drive. So if you have tons of data you need to archive the cost of the drive is recouped pretty quickly.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Has anyone done a good A/B of FLAC vs. 320/192 MP3s in a while? I vaguely remember someone doing one where they coded up a simple Windows GUI app so that they could toggle between the sources on a particular song - thought it might have been on SA, maybe it was elsewhere. IIRC the diffs between 192 and FLAC were rare, and diffs between 320 and FLAC were nonexistent.

olives black fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 13, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I believe Foobar 2000 has built in support for ABX tests and the like. I can hear music compression even at high bitrates but usually only on specific songs and on my good headphones or big stereo.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

olives black posted:

Has anyone done a good A/B of FLAC vs. 320/192 MP3s in a while? I vaguely remember someone doing one where they coded up a simple Windows GUI app so that they could toggle between the sources on a particular song - thought it might have been on SA, maybe it was elsewhere. IIRC the diffs between 192 and FLAC were rare, and diffs between 320 and FLAC were nonexistent.

Yes, and the diffs between 320 mp3 and 128 opus are also rare. So why are you wasting bandwidth?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

VictualSquid posted:

Yes, and the diffs between 320 mp3 and 128 opus are also rare. So why are you wasting bandwidth?

I got a CD player that does MP3s but not Opus.

"Why not get a modern streaming device" because shut up that's why :)

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
qine

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I rip flacs because I have plenty of space on my NAS. If I run out of space someday I can re-encode them into whatever is the best quality for filesize at that time, which may be some format that hasn't even been invented yet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah 320 from a good encoder is probably indistinguishable but since I have over 1000 CDs and plenty of hard drive I decided I only wanted to rip them once.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I've got plenty of NAS space for my discs and then some, but I just magically stopped caring completely a week ago. I realized that I'm old and I want to put a Thing into a Place and Push a Button.

I moved all of my CDs to one of those big-rear end Amazon Basics folders over the weekend. I forgot how satisfying it is to actually flip through a physical collection to look for something I want.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Are you using an audiophile grade nas or just like a bad sounding one with too much vibrational rotation coming through on your lows and killing the brightness of your highs?.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

tater_salad posted:

Are you using an audiophile grade nas or just like a bad sounding one with too much vibrational rotation coming through on your lows and killing the brightness of your highs?.
Also, where in your soundstage is the NAS located. This is important.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

stealie72 posted:

Also, where in your soundstage is the NAS located. This is important.

It’s next to the roadies on soundstage left

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I find that NAS is better suited for hip hop and related genres, and I vastly prefer flash memory for rock music

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

qirex posted:

. I can hear music compression even at high bitrates but usually only on specific songs and on my good headphones or big stereo.

Yeah this exactly. I can definitely tell when I'm listening to 320s of like, my King Crimson albums or some classical, but only on a really good sound system I'm familiar with - and they're indistinguishable with virtually all of my modern electronic tunes even on my monitors at home.

I still maintain that anyone who says they can tell when a DJ is using WAVs instead of MP3s is a loving liar. Did you know some artists release like, techno, in 192kHz format? I can think of few things that are more of a waste of bandwidth and HDD space than six minutes of boring kickdrums with too much reverb on them.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A long time ago, back when iPods had spinning disks in them, I read about the battery savings to be had from making sure a file fit inside the iPod's memory cache, so it wouldn't need to spin up the disk mid-song. I went looking for the compression levels that would let me fit prod rock album halves from Rush and Yes into that file size. Whatever compression artifacts you think you hear on a 128kps-ish VBR MP3 ain't poo poo compared to what you hear when you get down below the 96kps average bit rate. My attitude for files compressed for mobile devices these days is basically "do the cymbals still sound like cymbals? Then it's fine."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You mean artists didn't routinely fry bacon while recording music?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I work in a music store and had a guy call the other day trying to restore some ADAT tapes. He was asking about splicing them, like analog tape (or film). I didn't know what to tell him. There's no way you could do that accurately, right? Without like an electron microscope? Helical head and all?

ADAT is digital audio recorded onto consumer VHS tapes. Splicing is a perfectly valid way of repairing broken VHS tapes to make them playable again. You just need to make a clean cut and put it back together with some thin adhesive tape that is the preferably the same width as the tape itself. I've done it before with regular Scotch tape. Wasn't pretty, but it worked without destroying the VCR.

You will never get it perfect.. The audio will cut out and glitch at the splice point, but at least the tape will be playable again.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I think it's cool to insist upon using lossless formats when available as long as you admit that it's because of fetishism or superstition

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Just don't solo the side channels on a 192kbps mp3 or a 128kbps OPUS and they sound fine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

I can think of few things that are more of a waste of bandwidth and HDD space than six minutes of boring kickdrums with too much reverb on them.
I like dub techno but it is probably the most compressible form of music outside of maybe chiptunes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Actually the only salient argument I've heard for higher bitrates and lossless formats is, funny enough, from DJs. (I'm not even sure it's entirely true but with my knowledge of things it seems to track that) Lossy codecs have less information to timestretch, so if you're going heavy in the negative % on your pitch faders, the degradation/artifacting is more noticeable.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mister Speaker posted:

Actually the only salient argument I've heard for higher bitrates and lossless formats is, funny enough, from DJs. (I'm not even sure it's entirely true but with my knowledge of things it seems to track that) Lossy codecs have less information to timestretch, so if you're going heavy in the negative % on your pitch faders, the degradation/artifacting is more noticeable.

That'd be an easy experiment to do in Audacity

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

olives black posted:

I think it's cool to insist upon using lossless formats when available as long as you admit that it's because of fetishism or superstition

I use them because I have 14 terabytes of storage I gotta use it for something.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I use lossless formats because storage is fairly cheap these days and I’m a massive nerd.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bargearse posted:

I use lossless formats because storage is fairly cheap these days and I’m a massive nerd.

also mods pls ban the techno hater

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

also mods pls ban the techno hater

https://youtu.be/hq_GVNsENx8

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

olives black posted:

That'd be an easy experiment to do in Audacity

Well yeah maybe, but I feel like CDJs might have a slightly different timestretch algorithm than a cheap DAW. I'm just saying it seems to track with what I know about sample rates. Fewer samples would seem to mean less information to work with.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Another crying audiophile just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMJq5AEk-jQ

(DMS is also the dude who made Linus cry a couple years ago)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

olives black posted:

Lossless is good for game development where you're going to compress and down sample with different settings to different platforms. It prevents hard to control and manage artifacts that tend to occur when using multiple, different compression solutions on the same file. The final game shipped to players is still going to be lossy and compressed, but when you're generating Android / iOS / xbox / ps5 / etc builds, you can apply different settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Chainclaw posted:

Lossless is good for game development where you're going to compress and down sample with different settings to different platforms. It prevents hard to control and manage artifacts that tend to occur when using multiple, different compression solutions on the same file. The final game shipped to players is still going to be lossy and compressed, but when you're generating Android / iOS / xbox / ps5 / etc builds, you can apply different settings.

this too