Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

Steve Guttenberg, Thomas & Stereo, John Darko, Zero Fidelity

drat, Steve Guttenberg sure could use a haircut. After I’ve watched a few of these even worse stuff started popping up. Thank you qirex!
I can now recommend Pursuit Perfect System as the worst snake oil consumer I’ve ever seen and Hans Beekhuyzen as the least interesting YouTube personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

Fresh or cryo-dried?

Yes

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

drat, Steve Guttenberg sure could use a haircut. After I’ve watched a few of these even worse stuff started popping up. Thank you qirex!
I can now recommend Pursuit Perfect System as the worst snake oil consumer I’ve ever seen and Hans Beekhuyzen as the least interesting YouTube personality.

I think Steve is a good reviewer honestly, he's not into voodoo nonsense afaik. He just happens to review extremely high end poo poo often. He's who originally made me want LCD-2s and uhm, was not wrong. I loving love them. So much.

caveat: I've never watched his vids, just written reviews...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guttenberg ist a crazy woo-woo vinylophile, who has no idea how digital audio works, but keeps claiming it's inherently poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm suspicious of anyone who recommends the Sony STR-DN1080 receiver [specifically Guttenberg and What Hi-fi won't shut up about it] because if you look a the AVS thread about it it's like hundreds of people complaining about bad usability and slow performance.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Guttenberg is the ur-woo anti digital idiot. Also he's old and demonstrably age fucks your high frequency hearing response. So he's gonna be inaccurate tbh

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Gutenburg is eh but his interviews are sometimes good like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoCVw2AJRc

Holy god. I gotta respect that dude. It's so.. non audiophile while still being audiophile.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

qirex posted:

I'm suspicious of anyone who recommends the Sony STR-DN1080 receiver [specifically Guttenberg and What Hi-fi won't shut up about it] because if you look a the AVS thread about it it's like hundreds of people complaining about bad usability and slow performance.

I have it and it works very well. I don't understand what is supposedly slow on the thing. The only thing I find to be "slow" is the menu you have to open to switch to an input that is not a dedicated button on the remote. I have my most used inputs on the dedicated buttons though, so it's never really an issue for me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://www.prosoundweb.com/64-audio-launches-a18s-18-driver-iem-at-2020-namm-show/

quote:

The new design features a re-tuned sound signature, new drivers, and a new crossover to handle any environment.

64 Audio has announced the debut of the A18s custom in-ear monitor during the 2020 NAMM Show. With an MSRP of $2,999.00, the A18s is built off of 64 Audio’s existing 18-driver A18t platform. Customers will be able to preorder during and after the NAMM show, with product available to ship in the coming weeks.

The previous A18t in-ear monitor incorporated 18 drivers per ear, giving it clarity and resolution ideal for audiophiles and engineers. The new A18s builds off of this concept with a re-tuned sound signature, new drivers, and a new crossover that allows it to play at even higher volumes without distortion.

The A18s also incorporates 64 Audio’s LID (Linear Impedance Design), ensuring a consistent frequency response, regardless of the various sources it’s plugged into, especially relevant for artists today that frequent both the studio and stage.

Founded by Vitaliy Belonozhko in 2010, a sound engineer who has been working with musicians and production companies for nearly two decades, he discovered the advantages of IEMs over traditional floor “wedges” and recognized that a better solution to in-ear monitoring was needed. With new technologies such as apex, LID, tia and 3D-Fit, 64 Audio excels in challenging traditional earphone designs to bring to market unique and innovative audio products.

IEMs are the tits but you don't need $3k IEMs to be better than wedge monitors...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Semi-crosspost, magic subscription headphones from https://www.nuraphone.com/:

From the How it works page (Edited partially for brevity):

quote:

The nuraphone plays a range of tones into the ear, and then measures a very faint sound that your ear generates in response to these tones called the Otoacoustic Emission (OAE).

Encoded in the returning sound wave is information about how well you heard the sound that went in. The nuraphone uses an extremely sensitive microphone to detect this returning sound wave, and a self learning engine built into the nuraphone to create your profile.

Once the nuraphone has created your hearing profile it sonically shapes your music so that it matches your hearing system and delivers all the detail of the music you love.

From what I've read otoacoustic emission is a real thing however I'm highly skeptical that they're actually measuring it or doing anything ground breaking with it (And if they are it's still not worth a fuckin subscription lol).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Huh, I assumed they used some sort of hearing test app on your phone in order to gauge what the EQ for your own ears should be and then apply it to everything. This is actually really clever... I'm interested in trying some but they're dumb expensive and honestly, gently caress subscription based life.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Huh, I assumed they used some sort of hearing test app on your phone in order to gauge what the EQ for your own ears should be and then apply it to everything. This is actually really clever... I'm interested in trying some but they're dumb expensive and honestly, gently caress subscription based life.

I'm certain their "tuning" is nothing more than picking from a handful of EQ presets. Also making you wear a microphone has the handy advantage of being able to record everything you hear which I'm sure they'd never abuse...

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I'm certain their "tuning" is nothing more than picking from a handful of EQ presets. Also making you wear a microphone has the handy advantage of being able to record everything you hear which I'm sure they'd never abuse...

I’ll tell you next week. I tried a buddy’s pair who hasn’t loving shut up about how incredible they are, and have my suspicions. For the sake of :10bux: I’ve ordered a set to test.

That means subjective testing, and measurements where possible.

The subscription is ridiculous but really it’s a paid for trial period, there’s no fixed contract so they’re making the value proposition vs the cost to buy tip you toward an outright purchase. They clearly refurbish and sell the rented cans as new too.

Being paranoid about a mic (array of) on your headphones is stupid though, you likely have plenty other mics everywhere that are more concerning.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Lol that's more than the electrostatic shure iems which are insanely good

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

I’ll tell you next week. I tried a buddy’s pair who hasn’t loving shut up about how incredible they are, and have my suspicions. For the sake of :10bux: I’ve ordered a set to test.

This will be interesting, make sure to post your findings please boss.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://www.prosoundweb.com/64-audio-launches-a18s-18-driver-iem-at-2020-namm-show/

IEMs are the tits but you don't need $3k IEMs to be better than wedge monitors...

$3k is about standard price for TOTL IEMs these days.

Also nobody is using these things for actual on-stage performance, they're strictly for home listening. Comparing them to wedge monitors really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

Also nobody is using these things for actual on-stage performance, they're strictly for home listening. Comparing them to wedge monitors really doesn't make a lot of sense.

I mean the copy I quoted stated this so y'know, I'm kinda led to believe he's trying...

quote:

Founded by Vitaliy Belonozhko in 2010, a sound engineer who has been working with musicians and production companies for nearly two decades, he discovered the advantages of IEMs over traditional floor “wedges” and recognized that a better solution to in-ear monitoring was needed. With new technologies such as apex, LID, tia and 3D-Fit, 64 Audio excels in challenging traditional earphone designs to bring to market unique and innovative audio products.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I honestly doubt that anything will ever eclipse Shure KSE stuff being fed by Klang

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

redeyes posted:

Gutenburg is eh but his interviews are sometimes good like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoCVw2AJRc

Holy god. I gotta respect that dude. It's so.. non audiophile while still being audiophile.

This guy rules and I really want to hear his system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86lwhfxM6QY

Also this motherfucker Steve needs a wireless mic or two!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

grack posted:

Almost every act I work with is using IEMs these days. Maybe not $3k ones, but you better believe that Coldplay are all on IEMs as well as their wedges and this is totally normal for that level of top end touring act. They also have a dedicated $70k mixing console and engineer per artist, just for their monitor mix.

That’s separate to the front of house mix and console. 7 consoles total.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Neurophonic posted:

Almost every act I work with is using IEMs these days. Maybe not $3k ones, but you better believe that Coldplay are all on IEMs as well as their wedges and this is totally normal for that level of top end touring act. They also have a dedicated $70k mixing console and engineer per artist, just for their monitor mix.

That’s separate to the front of house mix and console. 7 consoles total.

I know a lot of musicians use IEMs for stage monitoring.

I'm saying nobody is buying those specific IEMs for that purpose.

Was what I posted really that ambiguous?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

I know a lot of musicians use IEMs for stage monitoring.

I'm saying nobody is buying those specific IEMs for that purpose.

The company offers multiple IEMs for different uses and these ones are in their stage and studio sections, they're not even the most expensive set the company sells which are obviously in their audiophile section.

https://www.64audio.com/iem-type/Custom/user-type/Stage

https://www.64audio.com/iem-type/Custom/user-type/Studio

https://www.64audio.com/iem-type/Universal/user-type/Audiophile

Obviously some are going to sell to audiophiles but it's odd they separate them into these different sections if they were built specifically for the audiophile market.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Multi-driver IEMs are kinda silly, when fantastic single-driver designs like the Tin HiFi T4 and the BLON BL-03 exist, and have none of the issues associated with tiny crossover networks.

Like, my KZ ZSXs are pretty drat good, but the T4s just utterly trounce them in every single way.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZK8Z8hulFg

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

KozmoNaut posted:

Multi-driver IEMs are kinda silly, when fantastic single-driver designs like the Tin HiFi T4 and the BLON BL-03 exist, and have none of the issues associated with tiny crossover networks.

Like, my KZ ZSXs are pretty drat good, but the T4s just utterly trounce them in every single way.

Fantastic single-driver speakers exist too and we still see multi-driver designs.

Different strokes. Even with single driver, there are much nicer ones than your examples. But a $30 IEM really doesn't compete with a $3k one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ddogflex posted:

Fantastic single-driver speakers exist too and we still see multi-driver designs.

Different strokes. Even with single driver, there are much nicer ones than your examples. But a $30 IEM really doesn't compete with a $3k one.

Single-driver/full-range speakers are a compromise. You can't have enough cone area to move the proper amounts of air for good bass, and still have low enough mass to move it fast enough for good treble. Not to mention the inherent problems of trying to coerce fine high frequency movement into a driver that's also having to do large excursion movement at the same time.

LS50s and similar good speakers aren't single-driver, they're coaxial with a dedicated tweeter in the middle of the bass/midrange drivers.

IEMs avoid this issue because they have to move a much smaller amount of air in a very small cavity, with drivers that are small and have very light diaphragms. Same as why all the very best headphones in the world use single drivers. You simply don't need more in those sizes, and crossovers introduce a lot of needless complexity.

And $1K+ IEMs won't really sound meaningfully better than the T4s. Different maybe, but that doesn't automatically mean they're better.

As with most other fields of audio, the IEM world is plagued by insane audiophilia.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 17, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I just don't like the feeling of stuff wedged in my ears.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

KozmoNaut posted:

And $1K+ IEMs won't really sound meaningfully better than the T4s. Different maybe, but that doesn't automatically mean they're better.

As with most other fields of audio, the IEM world is plagued by insane audiophilia.

Now you're being ridiculous. Do you own anything higher end than T4 or BLON-03? Higher end headphones are more resolving. It's not about different. I have BLON-03 and Moondrop KXXS (to compare two similarly tuned sets) and the KXXS is more resolving.

The point in multi driver IEMs is that BAs are not great at pushing air over the whole frequency range. I really don't see the point in 14 of them, but you know, 3-6 can make sense depending on your goal. It's only going to matter if CLARITY is more important to you than anything else. I like dynamic or planar better tbh, but I have a set with one BA and one DD and I love them. I have had a crossover go bad in an IEM tho, which is another whole rear end stupid thing.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

polyester concept posted:

I just don't like the feeling of stuff wedged in my ears.

hard same, also pushing earwax in further sucks butt and is bad

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
TechMoan is my favorite. While he doesn’t strictly review audio equipment, he does it enough that it’s worth posting. He is the most British man that exists unless you can prove me wrong.

Watch his recent YT vlog about auctions in Japan. It’s hilarious.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

The subscription is ridiculous but really it’s a paid for trial period, there’s no fixed contract so they’re making the value proposition vs the cost to buy tip you toward an outright purchase. They clearly refurbish and sell the rented cans as new too.

Being paranoid about a mic (array of) on your headphones is stupid though, you likely have plenty other mics everywhere that are more concerning.

Nice! Looking forward to the results.

Edit: also true regarding the mics lol

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 18, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Jascum posted:

TechMoan is my favorite. While he doesn’t strictly review audio equipment, he does it enough that it’s worth posting. He is the most British man that exists unless you can prove me wrong.

Watch his recent YT vlog about auctions in Japan. It’s hilarious.

Techmoan is the loving best. He's the perfect combination of interesting rare products, enough engineering/science knowhow to poke around and fix things, and a consistent and solid message that newer stuff is better but old stuff can be cool for different reasons.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If you want decent YT reviewers, I like Audioholics. They actually managed to explain amp classes to me, which is a huge success. They also tend to recommend newer stuff and believe even better stuff is yet to come

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

If you want decent YT reviewers, I like Audioholics. They actually managed to explain amp classes to me, which is a huge success. They also tend to recommend newer stuff and believe even better stuff is yet to come

I like their site a lot but most of the videos are homeboy droning on in the dark surrounded by his collection of Star Trek memorabilia which is a bit much.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That looks straight out of an adult swim infomercial.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

I like their site a lot but most of the videos are homeboy droning on in the dark surrounded by his collection of Star Trek memorabilia which is a bit much.

Holy poo poo that amazing. Subbed.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

You talkin’ like it’s a bad thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can't wait for Techmoaner to reveal that he is basically deaf.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
wrong thread

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ddogflex posted:

Now you're being ridiculous. Do you own anything higher end than T4 or BLON-03? Higher end headphones are more resolving. It's not about different. I have BLON-03 and Moondrop KXXS (to compare two similarly tuned sets) and the KXXS is more resolving.

The point in multi driver IEMs is that BAs are not great at pushing air over the whole frequency range. I really don't see the point in 14 of them, but you know, 3-6 can make sense depending on your goal. It's only going to matter if CLARITY is more important to you than anything else. I like dynamic or planar better tbh, but I have a set with one BA and one DD and I love them. I have had a crossover go bad in an IEM tho, which is another whole rear end stupid thing.

I've listened to headphones that cost more than a car.

Beyond a certain relatively easy to reach point, "more resolving" is just audiophile wankery.

A dynamic driver can easily cover 20Hz to 20kHz, and you don't get the weird dips and peaks and phase shifts from crossover networks, which have to be prohibitively small and simple inside IEM shells.