Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
So far, the results of my life-long intensive study into the effects of marijuana smoking upon auditory perception are inconclusive, foggy and peckish.

Tests will continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jascum posted:

Are there stoner audiophiles that believe different strains make music sound better or worse?

Maxing weed high is very close to audiophile garbage imo. The only difference is that with the former it's just your mate telling you some technique he heard from a cousin's buddy whilst the latter is someone telling you that audio nirvana is attainable for the low price of $350k.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jascum posted:

Are there stoner audiophiles that believe different strains make music sound better or worse?

I used to take hallucinogens before sitting in front of my speakers or putting on my headphones, but I don’t recommend it.

There are substances that definitely enhance the way music sounds, alter perception of time which does some crazy things with audio, or induce some sort of synesthesia...but that’s TCC kind of poo poo.

As for cannabis, for me anyway, the relaxation is nice for musical enjoyment, but it doesn’t do anything special. My ex bandmate once took a bunch of strong Washington State edibles in the studio and then described my guitar playing as being full of purples and reds and resonances he’d never before experienced, but it’s nothing I’ve ever felt. I just get tired and want to lie down somewhere soft.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

What hifi's reviews of regular stuff are OK, their "high end" stuff though.... Yeah that's a bit much.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

What hifi's reviews of regular stuff are OK, their "high end" stuff though.... Yeah that's a bit much.

Are these weed reviews or..?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They talk about the “rhythmic precision” of CD players, it’s weird they’re the most mainstream A.V. review source on earth but they publish lots of crap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Panty Saluter posted:

Listening in the dark can add a lot, especially with the right sort of music.

Well yeah in their example you have someone in a room in the dark and you tell them to listen carefully, of course they're going to hear something different! It's exactly the same as buying stupidly expensive cables, when you sit down you're listening for something you think you've missed previously so of course your new $200/m cables sound better than your $100/m ones.

The brain is very suggestible which is exactly why audiophiles are a thing (and also why those same audiophiles have never succeeded in a double blind test).

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 27, 2020

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well yeah in their example you have someone in a room in the dark and you tell them to listen carefully, of course they're going to hear something different! It's exactly the same as buying stupidly expensive cables, when you sit down you're listening for something you think you've missed previously so of course your new $200/m cables sound better than your $100/m ones.

The brain is very suggestible which is exactly why audiophiles are a thing (and also why those same audiophiles have never succeeded in a double blind test).

Listening in the dark is free at least, and given that psychoacoustics is completely inextricable from the process it's a totally valid point.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Another free trick to make your stereo sound better is to clean it. Like, take it all apart, dust everything, chop off the ends of speaker cable to get fresh copper, lightly scour oxidisation off interconnects, and then put it all back together with better cable management.

The first time you listen to it after spending an hour or so doing this it will sound HEAPS better.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

Another free trick to make your stereo sound better is to clean it. Like, take it all apart, dust everything, chop off the ends of speaker cable to get fresh copper, lightly scour oxidisation off interconnects, and then put it all back together with better cable management.

The first time you listen to it after spending an hour or so doing this it will sound HEAPS better.

Almost like taking good care of something makes you subconsciously pay better attention to it.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Neurophonic posted:

Almost like taking good care of something makes you subconsciously pay better attention to it.

puts down capacitor electrolyte syringe and copy of The Hidden Messages in Water

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's been said before, but the only way to really enjoy your music is to suspend yourself inside a perfect sphere of gold-plated carbon fiber, with speakers placed at each chakratic dipole, and sonomblaranding nega-wires (star-quad, of course) running perpendicular to your personal meridians of attunement, listening to a belt drive turntable suspended in a separate sphere of silver-plated carbon fiber (so as not to color the light moving through the diamond stylus and thus the sound.)

No, wait, it's weed.

Uhh, content... Somebody posted audiophile SATA cables over on ASR today, but I have to imagine everyone in this thread reads that too. How's the anti-MQA fight going, KozmoNaut?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

*Puts down Visigoth and Smoulder LPs*

The MQ-whatsits? :confused:

Nah, it's going ok, aside from the token True Believers who pop in once in a while to "school" us poor cloth eared gits in the wonders of audio origami.

Right now some guy is convinced that any criticism of Tidal is based in racism, because Jay-Z is black. Or he's a silly troll, more likely. Fun times.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

Listening in the dark is free at least, and given that psychoacoustics is completely inextricable from the process it's a totally valid point.

Homeopathy but for music.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Listen to nothing but the muddiest headphones for a year - settle with naught but the lowest quality, shittiest pairs you can find,and then by contrast your good headphones will be even more amazing after that year!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Homeopathy but for music.

"If it doesn't make a difference on an oscilloscope, it's homeopathy"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Panty Saluter posted:

No no no, you've got to add white noise to the signal, in factors of 100 times the power of the original signal. The white noise will then take on the properties of the original signal, but with the potency of the music scaling with the level of the white noise added. You will experience your music in ways you never have before.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

You're told that the experience is going to be that much better than normal listening which is the area of psychoacoustics that's psychological; perception, expectation and predisposition. Your brain is primed to believe there's a difference so there is a difference. Homeopathy is pure placebo, you think there's a difference so there's a difference, and that's what I meant by that.

You're intently listening in the dark so of course you notice things in the music because that's specifically what you're there for and you've been told to. It's the difference between glancing at a piece of art and intently poring over it after being told to notice things, it's not magic that you'll take more in doing it the latter way.

Related, this video is now 10 years old but still something anyone interested in audio (particularly in this specific thread) should watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

1 minute to just gone 5 is the specific part that applies to the above.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 28, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Elentor posted:

Listen to nothing but the muddiest headphones for a year - settle with naught but the lowest quality, shittiest pairs you can find,and then by contrast your good headphones will be even more amazing after that year!

That's what drives me a little crazy in A-B testing. Yes, this one is subjectively better than that one...but what's my baseline? Are either of these better than option C? What about what's behind acoustically-treated door number 4? Should I close my eyes or will that color the experience?

For funsies, I pulled out an old pair of headphones I used to use in high school, hooked them up to the studio system, and...wow. Mistakes were made.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're told that the experience is going to be that much better than normal listening which is the area of psychoacoustics that's psychological; perception, expectation and predisposition. Your brain is primed to believe there's a difference so there is a difference. Homeopathy is pure placebo, you think there's a difference so there's a difference, and that's what I meant by that.

You're intently listening in the dark so of course you notice things in the music because that's specifically what you're there for and you've been told to. It's the difference between glancing at a piece of art and intently poring over it after being told to notice things, it's not magic that you'll take more in doing it the latter way.

Related, this video is now 10 years old but still something anyone interested in audio (particularly in this specific thread) should watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

1 minute to just gone 5 is the specific part that applies to the above.

so basically you agree with me but think it's a negative thing. ok

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm against the idea that imagined differences due to psychology are put forward as actual differences in physics, yeah.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
listening to music in an unfurnished room whilst sitting on a cinder block because psychological differences are just imaginary

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Reminder this is the make fun of audiophiles thread not the make unironic audiophile arguments thread.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

listening to music in an unfurnished room whilst sitting on a cinder block because psychological differences are just imaginary

Genuinely can't tell if you're serious or not at this point. Well done?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

Reminder this is the make fun of audiophiles thread not the make unironic audiophile arguments thread.

Shhh you'll ruin actual thread-relevant content!
This thread has become self perpetuating.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
"psychological differences aren't real" i assure myself as i ram my rear end into a filthy, broken chair in my audiophile hovel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Room reflections aren’t psychological fyi

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Well wait until the next DSM comes out, we'll see

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

qirex posted:

Room reflections aren’t psychological fyi

Do you think he knows what psychological means or is confused about what counts as actual, legitimate physics? I can't tell which, personally... It's a weird bit either way.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I agonized for a bit over which thread my weird question would be right for, so apologies in advance if this is a miss.

I have a stock car stereo in a 2015 Nissan Sentra that can play music and acknowledge playlists from iPods. It's been working fine for three years now with my really old iPod Nano. The Nano will break eventually, Apple doesn't make them any more, and I will never own an iPhone and I have no interest in the 'touch'.

Are there any mp3 players that anyone knows of, third party to Apple, that would be compatible with or emulate the 'iPod' connectivity that the car stereo would work with?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

5er posted:

I agonized for a bit over which thread

You chose poorly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

This is genuinely a mocking people thread, but you don't appear to be an audiophile, so: the old 30 pin or a lightning connector? I kinda doubt it either way but doubly so if it's the old kind.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I’ve never seen or heard of anything that’ll do that. Everything’s gone to full CarPlay or Bluetooth streaming now. Closest you’ll get to your current setup without an Apple device is a new head unit that can read media over USB and a 1tb stick.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This thread really has the most straightforward title it could have, it's weird how many people stumble in here expecting something else.

But honestly, someone should get the quick audio questions thread stickied or something.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I looked around IYG and I'll give them nothing really fits. Quick Audio Questions is close, but it seems more an iPod/DAP question and those threads get so little traffic they're pages back if we even have them.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Having no desire to check out the other threads after seeing a fair share of bullshit years ago, is that actually a good place for information, it is it a case of "too loving bad lol"?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

5er posted:

I agonized for a bit over which thread my weird question would be right for, so apologies in advance if this is a miss.

I have a stock car stereo in a 2015 Nissan Sentra that can play music and acknowledge playlists from iPods. It's been working fine for three years now with my really old iPod Nano. The Nano will break eventually, Apple doesn't make them any more, and I will never own an iPhone and I have no interest in the 'touch'.

Are there any mp3 players that anyone knows of, third party to Apple, that would be compatible with or emulate the 'iPod' connectivity that the car stereo would work with?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520908

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
If you’ve got a 30-pin cable somewhere in the car, there are Bluetooth adapters for it. I had to work my way up to a fairly expensive one for the 2013 Nissan Rogue I was driving before I found one that worked, but it operated like a modern Bluetooth enabled head unit after that, and the audio quality was fine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That's what drives me a little crazy in A-B testing. Yes, this one is subjectively better than that one...but what's my baseline? Are either of these better than option C? What about what's behind acoustically-treated door number 4? Should I close my eyes or will that color the experience?

That's why you're supposed to do ABX testing. You know when you listen to A or B, but then you listen to X and have to determine whether it's A or B. If you can repeatedly identify whether X is one or the other then there is a significant difference between A and B. If you can't determine whether you're listening to A or B with good confidence, then they are for all practical purposes equally good.

The purpose of an ABX test is not to determine whether A or B is better, but whether they are different. If you can repeatedly tell whether the magical thingamawoo box is turned on or off then it has a scientifically proven effect, if you can't then it has no effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't care if they're an audiophile but anyone using Apple products in 2020 is a complete moron.

E: oh I didn't actually read the post.

I bet the car is ugly.