Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once went to a D&B show and the house system was real bad and the artists were complaining all night, DJ Rap actually stopped playing in the middle of her set because there was so much echo in the room and no bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I have experienced the Valve a couple of times and it is absolutely obscene.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

I once went to a D&B show and the house system was real bad and the artists were complaining all night, DJ Rap actually stopped playing in the middle of her set because there was so much echo in the room and no bass.

She’s been doing a ton of YouTube sets over the last year, she’s still awesome.

I remember hearing that High Contrast didn’t master stuff properly and just used a bedroom micro system and ugh it was so bittersweet when his stuff would drop in a club because it just often sounded like rear end because of this.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

EL BROMANCE posted:

She’s been doing a ton of YouTube sets over the last year, she’s still awesome.

I remember hearing that High Contrast didn’t master stuff properly and just used a bedroom micro system and ugh it was so bittersweet when his stuff would drop in a club because it just often sounded like rear end because of this.

That happend with a friend's remix once. Dropped it in a mix, and the energy in the room just went CLENCH all at once. I've never mixed back out of a track that fast in my life.

Also can confirm DJ Rap owns :allears:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I propose changing the focus of this thread away from ridiculing audiophiles to appreciating the undeniable international radness of sound systems and dancehall culture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

I propose changing the focus of this thread away from ridiculing audiophiles to appreciating the undeniable international radness of sound systems and dancehall culture

Or we could do both, like how lots of audiophiles claim they're trying to recreate the rock concert sound from their youth but refuse to use EQ or subwoofers instead spending tens of thousands of dollars on weird giant speakers and tube amps.

Way back in the day if you saw the Shredder Sound System logo on a Bay Area rave flier you knew it was going to be a good party.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Are you thinking of Dillinja's Valve Sound System?

I'm not, no. Found it, Club Sub in Austria. 32 subs, drivers fitted into cast concrete enclosures. Pretty much the entire back wall of the venue. Supposedly able to hit 7hz.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/powersoft-amplifier-modules-drive-unique-wall-of-bass-in-austria/

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not, no. Found it, Club Sub in Austria. 32 subs, drivers fitted into cast concrete enclosures. Pretty much the entire back wall of the venue. Supposedly able to hit 7hz.

Oooooh do want to experience.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'll always love loudspeakers despite the existence of great headphones/IEMs because you're able to feel the sound everywhere as opposed to just the ear canal. The massive subs/infrasonic subs are an extension of that.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I have a fond memory from a techno night at the Ministry of Sound in the 90s when Derek May dropped a track back in after a breakdown and literally knocked the Bloke next to me off his feet

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yuns posted:

I'll always love loudspeakers despite the existence of great headphones/IEMs because you're able to feel the sound everywhere as opposed to just the ear canal. The massive subs/infrasonic subs are an extension of that.

Yeah I love nice headphones but ideally I'd be able to blast music on speakers without annoying anyone. I'm lucky in that the workshop next to my house is big enough to house several cars along with my horn loaded PA setup. I buy poo poo cars so I can spend time fixing them in there with the music cranked and bother nobody with the noise.

Workshop is also a perfect example of how sound reacts in a space, the speakers are set up facing the doors into the place and when those are open and you stand outside all you hear is the speakers and it is super clear. Step inside and it sounds like being in a venue with sound interacting with everything in there affecting the intelligibility hugely.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://www.prosoundweb.com/powersoft-amplifier-modules-drive-unique-wall-of-bass-in-austria/

I know the guys who installed this, it’s an interesting project but like many things a little saturated in hyperbole. Still seriously cool. I wish some people would justify the budget for these sorts of projects, but sadly sound is often way down the priority list for venues.

That club isn’t run super loud, considering. Grelle Forelle also in Austria has a similar setup using horn-loaded subs which is more ‘party’.

If you’ve ever been to Fabric with the ‘body sonic’ dance floor, a similar number of Mover would physically launch you off the floor. They’re incredibly poky.

Oh, and did you say M-Force sub? Here’s a 40” one I work with sometimes for an art project. It’s actually for sale, if anyone wants to really upset their housemates/partner/accountant...

I work a fair bit with roots / reggae sound-systems and they are generally very far from ‘hifi’ - and many of them are as anti-science and measurements as the audiophile world - but it’s also a lot of fun. Friendly rivalries between crews, and experimentation is a big part of it. If you think of them as the equivalent of a guitar rig, where tubes and cabinets make a certain artistic sound, then it makes more sense.

Notting Hill Carnival is an experience everyone should get to at some point in their lives, and going to a small-ish dance where the speakers nearly outnumber the crowd is something I’ve missed very, very much in the last year.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://aestheticsforbirds.com/2021/04/07/an-audio-professionals-take-on-vinyl/

This might be a good read for near audiophiles in our lives.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Neurophonic posted:

I work a fair bit with roots / reggae sound-systems and they are generally very far from ‘hifi’ - and many of them are as anti-science and measurements as the audiophile world - but it’s also a lot of fun. Friendly rivalries between crews, and experimentation is a big part of it. If you think of them as the equivalent of a guitar rig, where tubes and cabinets make a certain artistic sound, then it makes more sense.

I found a video with DIY instructions on how to make amplifiers out of the transistors and other components you can scavenge out of a CFL lightbulb base. You're obviously not going to get an audiophile sound out of them, but if all you need it to pump music thru a loudspeaker into a party space, you can do it with some trash and a soldering iron in about 10 minutes.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I found a video with DIY instructions on how to make amplifiers out of the transistors and other components you can scavenge out of a CFL lightbulb base. You're obviously not going to get an audiophile sound out of them, but if all you need it to pump music thru a loudspeaker into a party space, you can do it with some trash and a soldering iron in about 10 minutes.

Everyone should do more of the things on this slip mat from a friend’s soundsystem:

If anyone fancies a little jaunt into this world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LVx6k2gm0

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Agree with the slipmat. I built speakers purely because the sound was so poo poo in the various venues I had locally and wanted to see if it could be improved. Ended up making some friends and we rolled the setup around a few venues and put on some really cool nights with great DJs that we never made any money on because the local scene is just rear end.

But it meant I learned a load about audio, gave me a bunch of new skills and I have a setup that I can use should the need ever arise and for fuckloads less than buying it off the shelf would have cost me. Build speakers. Play music real loud. Scare yourself a little with pure SPL.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Some high quality :females: sexism/mysoginy in this wonderfully titled AVS thread: Women don't get WAF

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

Some high quality :females: sexism/mysoginy in this wonderfully titled AVS thread: Women don't get WAF

Oh to do a search/replace for WAF>WAP to see the nerds complaining about their dry wives.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

qirex posted:

that is pretty gross stuff!

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Aaaaahhhhhhhh whyyyyyyyyyy it's loving nail polish for your stereo

https://www.highfidelitycables.com/Nanoparticle/NPS1260.php

oh, sorry, your "audio system"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe I have a reading deficiency, but I couldn't find on that page a description as to what you're supposed to do/paint with this.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

strtj posted:

quote:

$599
per 3mL bottle

+ Shipping

I was born with congenital anosmia and yet I can smell the bullshit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So this is interesting: a Youtube guy published his own music [that just happened to include a bunch of test tones, sweeps and full test suite in the songs] to Tidal in MQA and measured the output, the results are incredibly not flattering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc
MQA's predictable response was to call him dumb in an email and get his songs pulled from Tidal. Apparently Tidal is serving lossy 44.1 MQA when there's a high res master instead of FLAC. I guess it's on to Qobuz for me!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe I have a reading deficiency, but I couldn't find on that page a description as to what you're supposed to do/paint with this.

The only limit is your imagination!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

qirex posted:

So this is interesting: a Youtube guy published his own music [that just happened to include a bunch of test tones, sweeps and full test suite in the songs] to Tidal in MQA and measured the output, the results are incredibly not flattering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc
MQA's predictable response was to call him dumb in an email and get his songs pulled from Tidal. Apparently Tidal is serving lossy 44.1 MQA when there's a high res master instead of FLAC. I guess it's on to Qobuz for me!

Before watching the video, you can just set Tidal to HiFi rather than Master on the preferences and you’ll get the WAV/FLAC?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

Before watching the video, you can just set Tidal to HiFi rather than Master on the preferences and you’ll get the WAV/FLAC?
He says no and I've checked a few tracks in Roon [the only way to see the actual quality] and getting both 44.1 FLACs and 44.1 MQA.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My assumption from watching parts of the video is that Tidal is serving MQA where it can and FLAC only when it has to.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

strtj posted:

this is supposed to go up your butt right

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

bird with big dick posted:

this is supposed to go up your butt right

Don't be silly.

It goes insude your urethea.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So they're using loving magnets for god knows what reason, and they're just making up a small segment of the whole cable run. So what's exactly the point again of this?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I think the point is to charge a grand for what should be about $40 worth of cable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The very least they could have wrapped it all the length in a fat garden hose, to at least pretend.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Who here is excited about MQA as a digital audio format that requires MQA-specific compatible hardware to work and that you probably pay a permium for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc

The fun starts 05:47 in the video.

Fun tidbit for those who didn't watch: The MQA publisher is so against actual testing of their product they actively block attempts at users encoding test tones and similar things. You have to literally trick them by hiding those tones inside regular tracks.

At least if you buy a snake oil audio cable you still get a perfectly good audio cable. Not so much with MQA :v:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 19, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*cough*look 8 posts up*ahem*

MQA has been so obviously a joke from the get-go that the only surprising thing about it to me is that it's been so successful. I'd guess Tidal is the main reason since I don't think many stores sell MQA downloads. I think my favorite part of the video was when someone else gave a talk about MQA at a conference 2 guys from the company heckled them from the audience.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Ok Comboomer posted:

Have you heard the rebel sound performance from the redbull soundclash?

Supergroup made up of:
David Rodigan
Chase & Status
Shy FX
MC Rage

Bare dubplates, they smashed the other crews

https://youtu.be/KKDSgMddOO0

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

qirex posted:

the only surprising thing about it to me is that it's been so successful.

Bob Stuart was well-regarded, and they greased a lot of palms along the way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Who here is excited about MQA as a digital audio format that requires MQA-specific compatible hardware to work and that you probably pay a permium for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc

The fun starts 05:47 in the video.
a) The guy is an idiot for giving these idiots the time of day.
b) The Tidal desktop app cloned the Spotify look?

--edit:
I looked into his channel, clicked the Schitt DAC review, scrubbed a bit, landed on the section about USB clocks and jitter, noped out.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 19, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

a) The guy is an idiot for giving these idiots the time of day.
b) The Tidal desktop app cloned the Spotify look?

--edit:
I looked into his channel, clicked the Schitt DAC review, scrubbed a bit, landed on the section about USB clocks and jitter, noped out.

This guy has some real dubious audiofool content and is a big proponent of weird conspiracy theories about Audiosciencereview being paid off, but this video is good quality and highlights some real marketing bullshit

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

GrandMaster posted:

Have you heard the rebel sound performance from the redbull soundclash?

Supergroup made up of:
David Rodigan
Chase & Status
Shy FX
MC Rage

Bare dubplates, they smashed the other crews

https://youtu.be/KKDSgMddOO0

I have yes. I was system tech for one of the other crews :argh:

BurritoJustice posted:

This guy has some real dubious audiofool content and is a big proponent of weird conspiracy theories about Audiosciencereview being paid off, but this video is good quality and highlights some real marketing bullshit

Yeah I watched it last night, couldn't really pick a ton of holes in this video. I'm generally 'meh' about the MQA stuff, apart from the fact they're serving the MQA file even if you have it set to HiFi for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
MQA = DRM. Nothing more. Also probably measures worse than FLAC.