Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
*sucks air in through teeth*
Ah, that's your problem, mate. Your off-axis woofiness has gone all hairy in the temporal domain. Sounds like your honky and splashiness are also a fire risk. I've got some FIR filters in the van which should clear this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

So there I am, drinking and complaining about how Bluetooth speakers are too small to be any good while absentmindedly browsing guitar center on my phone.

That's a 12" SVS sub next to it for scale.

How's the interface on it? We have a Sennheiser LSP500 at work and it takes so loving long to power up what is an incredibly simple little set of EQ options and a Bluetooth connection. A minute solid at least. That aside, the fact it can be used on battery means it's a very versatile bit of kit and it sounds pretty decent too which is nice. We've outfitted it with a matching mic receiver and bundle it off with a handheld when required.

It did die after like 6 months though and just kept rebooting over and over and we had to pay £600 to get all the electronics replaced (the thing was £2500 new iirc). The most amusing bit is we bought a really cheap and nasty £250 version of the same thing from Mipro for emergency use and that thing has been abused by everyone and it has been utterly faultless if not exactly high quality sounding.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 25, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

How's the interface on it? We have a Sennheiser LSP500 at work and it takes so loving long to power up what is an incredibly simple little set of EQ options and a Bluetooth connection. A minute solid at least. That aside, the fact it can be used on battery means it's a very versatile bit of kit and it sounds pretty decent too which is nice. We've outfitted it with a matching mic receiver and bundle it off with a handheld when required.

It did die after like 6 months though and just kept rebooting over and over and we had to pay £600 to get all the electronics replaced (the thing was £2500 new iirc). The most amusing bit is we bought a really cheap and nasty £250 version of the same thing from Mipro for emergency use and that thing has been abused by everyone and it has been utterly faultless if not exactly high quality sounding.

Interface is fine. Simple but it gets the job done. Takes maybe 10-15 seconds to power up from cold and connect to my phone. It's not going to sound as good as the Sennheiser - let's face it, it's a powered smart speaker for less than a JBL passive. But it is more than good enough for drunk parties.

qirex posted:

Can we make this the thread background?

But what if I like honkiness?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a very common misconception. A lot of PA speakers sound really drat good, like for instance the JBL SRX835, which sounds like a proper old-school BIG home loudspeaker. Yamaha, QSC, Meyer Sound Labs etc., generally all of the well-regarded manufacturers make models that would work perfectly at home, as long as you don't mind the aesthetics. Using big drivers and being able to move a lot of air gives you a sound that's hard to impossible to replicate using smaller speaker drivers and cabinets.

If your only experiences with PA speakers have been at concerts where the main objective it loudness and not much else, you really should find an opportunity to listen to a competently setup set of PA speakers in setting with recorded music.

Loudness is underrated.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

qirex posted:

My favourite thing about the video that links from that is the guy is trying to be really earnest about using a magic algorithm to make pretty flat marketing graphs. They (and others in PA land) make out that “IIR bad” because it adjusts phase response. The irony is that if you’re applying them properly to the minimum phase components of the loudspeaker then the phase adjustments are a benefit, not a hindrance. FIR has its place - whacking all your IIR filters inside one is great for a start - but holy crap you can so easily overdo it.

Hopefully they do use the technique to fix their notoriously barky and harsh vocal range which typically sat bang on crossover from the reflex LF to the HF horn. If anyone is interested, this is the an overview of the technique:
http://www.excelsior-audio.com/Publications/Optimizing_Loudspeaker_Directivity_Through_the_Crossover_Region_rev10.pdf

The proud little diagram of their loudspeaker measuring robot indicates flaws in the measurement process, which for balloon data is meant to be far field. You can adapt nearfield measurements but it requires the use of a surface mounted around the enclosure, and I’m pretty sure Dave Gunness & EAW still hold the patent on it.

It is sorta nice to see them throwing the kitchen sink at their most well known product but anyone thinking these things sound hifi are kidding themselves. They’re not gonna be bad, but it’s a party box.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

It is sorta nice to see them throwing the kitchen sink at their most well known product but anyone thinking these things sound hifi are kidding themselves. They’re not gonna be bad, but it’s a party box.

Isn't that what I said?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

...whoa...thought I was still in the deviantart thread for a sec

you could’ve told me that this was a diaper-loving, race-playing/clown loving, furry’s self-made “sex chart” or whatever and I’d have believed you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
In fact, brb. Gonna post that graph in the deviantart thread context-free and see what ppl say

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

redeyes posted:

Loudness is underrated.

The capability to go really loud is great, but what's most important is the capability to go loud with low distortion. A really great concert system can sound like a good home hifi on steroids. Clean and dynamic and loud.

Distortion makes things sound artificially louder, but loud clean sound is beautiful.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

The capability to go really loud is great, but what's most important is the capability to go loud with low distortion. A really great concert system can sound like a good home hifi on steroids. Clean and dynamic and loud.

Distortion makes things sound artificially louder, but loud clean sound is beautiful.

I agree, but a $700 Mackie speaker with a "2000W CLASS D!!!" amplifier and every digital bell and whistle they could throw in it isn't exactly my idea of quality. I'm not even sure why it was posted in this thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

strtj posted:

I agree, but a $700 Mackie speaker with a "2000W CLASS D!!!" amplifier and every digital bell and whistle they could throw in it isn't exactly my idea of quality. I'm not even sure why it was posted in this thread.

You know this is the thread for making fun of audiophiles, not being one, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That line has blurred so much it's barely visible at this point.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
There isn't anything wrong with a quality class d amp

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

qirex posted:

I'm pretty sure honkiness and audiophilia have a linear relationship.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I'm pretty sure honkiness and audiophilia have a linear relationship.

KEEP HONKING I'M RELOADING CLEANING MY 180 GRAM PRESSING OF AJA

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

I like this a great deal.

I couldn't think of a good way to say this via text so MS Paint to the rescue.

Needs a faint sine wave in the background and some washed out maths formulas too. But that requires more than 2 minutes in MS Paint.

(I'm trying to watch battle for los angeles on my other screen)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 29, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"Euphoria" is another line but it requires 3D glasses to see because it's behind one of the existing ones and stretches into the distance, forever unattainable unless you first build a staircase out of money.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DancingShade posted:

"Euphoria" is another line but it requires 3D glasses to see because it's behind one of the existing ones and stretches into the distance, forever unattainable unless you first build a staircase out of money.

you can only see “euphoria” if you truly reject any phony god’s blessing and become enlightened by your own intelligence

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 29, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I like this a great deal.

I couldn't think of a good way to say this via text so MS Paint to the rescue.

Needs a faint sine wave in the background and some washed out maths formulas too. But that requires more than 2 minutes in MS Paint.

(I'm trying to watch battle for los angeles on my other screen)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh boy, crappy graphs!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

How hard are lollipop charts to understand aaaaaaaaa

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh boy, crappy graphs!

lol, “No Error”…

Pack it up pi-ailures… they’ve squared the circle

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

namlosh posted:

lol, “No Error”…

Pack it up pi-ailures… they’ve squared the circle

Technically none of them have any error since they're well over Nyquist.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's going to be some quantization noise, I guess that counts as "error".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Did they use right angles on those graphs because they knew just straight line plotting like a normal person would mean they didn't look as bad?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thank you KozmoNaut for those "graphs" that was some good poo poo! :D

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

Did they use right angles on those graphs because they knew just straight line plotting like a normal person would mean they didn't look as bad?

They did it because they have no idea what they're talking about.

KozmoNaut posted:

There's going to be some quantization noise, I guess that counts as "error".

You're right, in the magnitude. I was just thinking about in the frequency dimension.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Finally starting to see some audio appropriate SSDs come out:

I'll let someone else be the guinea pig and see how smooth this pioneer model sounds, I'm going to stick to floppies until someone releases an SSD with tube power supply. That red label does bode well for fiery basslines though. Leaving the blank area at the bottom so you can label your mixtapes is a nice touch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

Finally starting to see some audio appropriate SSDs come out:

I'll let someone else be the guinea pig and see how smooth this pioneer model sounds, I'm going to stick to floppies until someone releases an SSD with tube power supply. That red label does bode well for fiery basslines though. Leaving the blank area at the bottom so you can label your mixtapes is a nice touch.

Is that advertised as an audiophile drive or is it just rebranded for OEM use inside some sort of streaming box?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looks like Pioneer just sells a bunch of generic adapters/cables/storage/etc under their name

https://pioneer-iot.com/product/

I don't see any audiophile connection

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah I completely invented the connection when I happened across that on amazon warehouse

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bet it doesn't have the warmth and fullness of a good old spinning platter drive.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Looks like Pioneer just sells a bunch of generic adapters/cables/storage/etc under their name

https://pioneer-iot.com/product/

I don't see any audiophile connection

Pioneer's marketing team have missed a massive opportunity to parrot the virtues of special hand picked Samsung RAM chips and how they harmonize the treble and bass notes in a holographic wave of inverse flux capacitor potential.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Have any audiophiles weighed in on using Optane to store their library yet?

It's expensive so it must sound better, somehow

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Intel Optane for your high octane emotional musical enjoyment and purity of sound.

[insert logo dot jpeg here]

We're going to need some motherboards with gold coated PCI-E slots too.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I recently had to buy a sound card to get the right connectors for my receiver, and it came with a lighting kit.

I can only imagine the love/hate from audiophiles over whether that’s good or bad, but it’s the sort of slap fight I’d go behind the bike racks to watch after school.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I recently had to buy a sound card to get the right connectors for my receiver, and it came with a lighting kit.

I can only imagine the love/hate from audiophiles over whether that’s good or bad, but it’s the sort of slap fight I’d go behind the tennis courts to watch after school.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I sold some speaker stands on gumtree as they were just taking up space and the guy that bought them spent a good 10 minutes telling me all the models of the equipment he had because (I think) he assumed that I was way more into it than I am on account of them having a 4 star what hi-fi rating in 2007 for "increasing dynamic space" or something.

I just needed something to put my speakers on :shrug:

Nice guy though. He said after he retired he got into two things: stereos and custom building PCs but "bitcoin ruined that".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"bitcoin ruined that".

He ain't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

This is great because they all create the exact same waveform. You know, like in real life.