Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

qirex posted:

There’s a flip side to ASR style measurements that a lot of people don’t want to admit which is that gear that measures badly can still sound good. That Naim stuff is seriously overpriced for sure [it’s almost as expensive as a NAD M33] but not everybody wants a huge stack of mismatched Topping and miniDSP gear as their system.

There's also the angle of "most people wouldn't know what a bad measurement looks like" too. I looked around some audiophile groups a ways back and it's truly insane the level of navel gazing they do over things that could be sample noise on a too-zoomed-in plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I mean, it’s not like ASR is entirely against the idea of subjective preference or whatever—just look at any post on a tube product and you’ll see lots of caveats and ”if you like the way that this product distorts, then more power to you”s

whether that reflects Amir’s true feelings or whether it’s just ASR being diplomatic and shrewd about pissing off too many/the wrong people is anyone’s guess

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, it’s not like ASR is entirely against the idea of subjective preference or whatever—just look at any post on a tube product and you’ll see lots of caveats and ”if you like the way that this product distorts, then more power to you”s

whether that reflects Amir’s true feelings or whether it’s just ASR being diplomatic and shrewd about pissing off too many/the wrong people is anyone’s guess

Oh absolutely!

Amir's a nice enough fellow (and knows how to do the things), but sometimes the measurebating can be a bit much, and a community but around that has some risk of getting a little too out there

Still, better than head-fi!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of people with ugly homes ITT lately.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amir himself isn’t the problem, like nearly everything on the internet it’s the community that’s the worst. I don’t like everything he does, especially his assertion that humans can actually hear distortion or noise at -115dB, but stuff like him testing power conditioners and $2k cords and other magic tweako stuff is valuable.

His fight with the PS Audio guy alone where he proved that not only did their 5 grand power conditioner do nothing but the special high current amp outlet actually introduced extra AC noise was awesome.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
The only reason I visit ASR is to double check my preamps volume control attenuation and see at what level it starts attenuating by more than .5 dB a click

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

qirex posted:

His fight with the PS Audio guy alone where he proved that not only did their 5 grand power conditioner do nothing but the special high current amp outlet actually introduced extra AC noise was awesome.
I looked up what this thing does. Amir should have gotten and tested some random Double Conversion UPS for a fifth of the price, to compare. Since it'd do exactly the same thing, with the added benefit of backup power.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

All I know about PS Audio is that they run their demo rooms at shows so loud that it is physically painful.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

TheMadMilkman posted:

All I know about PS Audio is that they run their demo rooms at shows so loud that it is physically painful.

This seems very on brand.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

TheMadMilkman posted:

Well they have to, what with most folks at shows being partially deaf as a result of... oh dear.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

There’s a flip side to ASR style measurements that a lot of people don’t want to admit which is that gear that measures badly can still sound good. That Naim stuff is seriously overpriced for sure [it’s almost as expensive as a NAD M33] but not everybody wants a huge stack of mismatched Topping and miniDSP gear as their system.

I absolutely agree with you, but "can sound good" is a ridiculously subjective measurement.

The fact is that 99.9% of the population aren't listening in an environment where scientifically accurate sound matters, or is even achievable. My mom, for example, is perfectly happy with a set of Advent Prodigy Towers hooked to an Onkyo receiver in the living room and a cheapo Sony boombox in the kitchen. Why? Because she likes the laid-back sound in the living room, and sound quality in the kitchen only matters as to whether or not she can hear the reporters on NPR. All the money in the world to buy a super-accurate stereo, room treatments, etc. would be lost on her. And that's a huge segment of the population. The vast majority of the market is people interested in a certain amount of convenience, or a certain "sound", or aesthetics, over absolute quality of reproduction. And why shouldn't they be? It's how they like to listen to music, and they enjoy it.

I had a whole paragraph here about people who are into vinyl and/or tubes because it "sounds better" or whatever, but that argument's been done to death. I can't imagine that anything I say is going to change anyone's mind at this point. Hell, even the recording studio crowd has their own superstitions (have I mentioned how much I can't stand the Yamaha NS-10?) but again, the folks making most of the music that most of the population listens to couldn't care less about "accurate" reproduction.

Part of the point of this thread, though, is also making fun of people who believe that -110dB SNR vs -120db SNR is somehow audible, and that's part of what the ASR measurement stuff plays into. It's great that there are end-user/real-world measurements of high end gear, and there's plenty of that stuff that's total crap. But beyond pointing out that there are basically no improvements to be had beyond perhaps $1k for any given piece of equipment, and very often worse results at the highest end, I'm not sure what value the ASR reviews provide for a home listener.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I bought a preamp and headphone amp based on reviews from ASR. Knowing that a product has excellent channel balance is huge to me, so that testing was deeply helpful.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I find putting a specific beer on my DAC as weight really helps. I use a hydrometer to measure the gravity and chart how well if sounds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

strtj posted:

I absolutely agree with you, but "can sound good" is a ridiculously subjective measurement.
"Sounds good" is by definition subjective and that's why trying to "listen to a graph" is as bad an idea as pretending measurements don't exist. Even stuff that measures perfectly can fall apart with bad speaker positioning or poor fit in the case of headphones.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

qirex posted:

"Sounds good" is by definition subjective and that's why trying to "listen to a graph" is as bad an idea as pretending measurements don't exist. Even stuff that measures perfectly can fall apart with bad speaker positioning or poor fit in the case of headphones.
I think the value proposition gets really fuzzy with something like an integrated streamer/amp where the ecosystems it's compatible with, what inputs/outputs are present, and how it looks a huge part of the purchasing decision. Given that, I wouldn't really fault somebody for buying something like the Naim Atom if they wanted it. It looks nice, it'll just work, and it'll have enough juice to drive whatever reasonable speakers you'd want to pair with it. In a typical house, I really doubt its failings would be noticeable at all. The people who'd be interested in buying it probably care more about all the other stuff than exactly how well it measures.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A lot of people with ugly homes ITT lately.

Your homes are ugly and by homes I mean face and genitals

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I bought a preamp and headphone amp based on reviews from ASR. Knowing that a product has excellent channel balance is huge to me, so that testing was deeply helpful.

What did you buy? And just out of curiosity, what headphones are you using it with?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

strtj posted:

The fact is that 99.9% of the population aren't listening in an environment where scientifically accurate sound matters, or is even achievable.

And is "accurate" even a meaningful word if you aren't listening to something like classical or other acoustic or unamplified music? If all you listen to is popular music, what are you trying to recreate accurately? The studio recording, which is usually a collection of a bunch of recordings layered on top of each other? A live concert? If so, where? In the concrete, glass, and steel stadium where Cleveland's basketball team plays or a club or a really nice but modest sized theater?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And is "accurate" even a meaningful word if you aren't listening to something like classical or other acoustic or unamplified music? If all you listen to is popular music, what are you trying to recreate accurately? The studio recording, which is usually a collection of a bunch of recordings layered on top of each other? A live concert? If so, where? In the concrete, glass, and steel stadium where Cleveland's basketball team plays or a club or a really nice but modest sized theater?

a smoky room, obviously.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

a smoky room, obviously.

Cigarette, cigar, pipe, weed? THESE THINGS ARE IMPORTANT TO THE SOUND.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

strtj posted:

What did you buy? And just out of curiosity, what headphones are you using it with?

Topping Pre90 and ext90 is what I got. My main criteria was not having a volume pot, so I was looking mostly at the Topping, Schiit, and McIntosh stuff that was new enough to use their optical encoder thingie. The Topping replaced a somewhat modern McIntosh pre that had a minor balance mismatch at really low volumes and drove me kinda nuts. The lack of recording loops and only two unbalanced inputs on the Topping are a bummer, and there are some lovely usability things, but having rock-solid balance at all volumes is a revelation and I kinda love the loud relay clicks when changing volume. I did need to send the first one back due to a faulty rotary encoder but the new one is fine. Oh and the screen is differently colored than my OG AKM-having D90 :11tea:

Headphone amp I got is JDS Atom Amp+, driving a set of Hifiman HE400SE Stealth. I don’t use headphones all that often, so even this relatively modest setup feels special to me. Even then, most of the time I use the Koss KPH30’s hooked to the 14” MBP’s pretty awesome headphone output.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 28, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Lol if you aren't hiring a chamber orchestra to play in your audio room.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The sound curve from live instruments really isn't good if your space is set up for electronic audio though

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Cigarette, cigar, pipe, weed? THESE THINGS ARE IMPORTANT TO THE SOUND.

opium, if you're not a coward

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Your homes are ugly and by homes I mean face and genitals

What the gently caress I don't even own a stereo. Reported for being very rude!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

just posting because these are cool tbh

https://twitter.com/RoadworkUK/status/1542162952345772036?s=20&t=ZpfL13gcCI8LRslVSSngBg

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

"Integrated" systems like that were all flash but no substance, and have no place near the audiophile thread

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Topping Pre90 and ext90 is what I got. My main criteria was not having a volume pot, so I was looking mostly at the Topping, Schiit, and McIntosh stuff that was new enough to use their optical encoder thingie. The Topping replaced a somewhat modern McIntosh pre that had a minor balance mismatch at really low volumes and drove me kinda nuts. The lack of recording loops and only two unbalanced inputs on the Topping are a bummer, and there are some lovely usability things, but having rock-solid balance at all volumes is a revelation and I kinda love the loud relay clicks when changing volume. I did need to send the first one back due to a faulty rotary encoder but the new one is fine. Oh and the screen is differently colored than my OG AKM-having D90 :11tea:

Headphone amp I got is JDS Atom Amp+, driving a set of Hifiman HE400SE Stealth. I don’t use headphones all that often, so even this relatively modest setup feels special to me. Even then, most of the time I use the Koss KPH30’s hooked to the 14” MBP’s pretty awesome headphone output.

I'm honestly very impressed that you can hear balance differences to the point that it matters. Are you listening to a lot of mono material? Do you spend a lot of time adjusting your headphone fit on your head and then very carefully not moving so that it is never disturbed? I own the exact same headphones and honestly, given the open nature I'm not sure I could hear even a 1db difference between the channels unless I was sitting in a very, very quiet room.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This isn't the audiophyle thread tho.
100% would rock one of those.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

strtj posted:

I'm honestly very impressed that you can hear balance differences to the point that it matters. Are you listening to a lot of mono material? Do you spend a lot of time adjusting your headphone fit on your head and then very carefully not moving so that it is never disturbed? I own the exact same headphones and honestly, given the open nature I'm not sure I could hear even a 1db difference between the channels unless I was sitting in a very, very quiet room.

For me it's a longevity thing, my last amp was fine at first but the pot degraded unevenly in each channel and got annoying over time

I'm leery of things like the JDS Atom for that reason, the amp section is excellent but it has a dirt cheap pot that I wouldn't trust to last

Digital volume control means that's never going to be an issue

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My first stereo was a Technics with a top loading 5 disc CD changer with a clear plastic cover like a record player. Was a great design since you could change the other 4 CDs while the 5th was playing without having to dick around with the motorized rotating CD tray thing that came out later. But it meant it had to be on top and couldn't really be inside a cabinet.

The amplification and radio and tape deck were all in one and were absolute trash, as well as the speakers, and were incrementally replaced. The CD player stayed in use for many years though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

strtj posted:

"Integrated" systems like that were all flash but no substance, and have no place near the audiophile thread

AIWA was the loving balls in the 80s, tho

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

strtj posted:

some integrateds were really good tho

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That particular Aiwa actually has one of the cleanest amplifier designs from the 80s and even early 90s. You'll need to do a full cap upgrade, of course. And replace the front end with one from a marantz. And never run it in the case, the case messes up the soundstage horribly; let the signals air out by spreading the PCBs over a marble slab. Standard PS1 DAC swap. Remove the switches and wiring harnesses, those tiny antennas inject noise. An external linear supply really brings out the microdeets. Overall, I think you'll find this tidy little system punches well above it's weight.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

taqueso posted:

That particular Aiwa actually has one of the cleanest amplifier designs from the 80s and even early 90s. You'll need to do a full cap upgrade, of course. And replace the front end with one from a marantz. And never run it in the case, the case messes up the soundstage horribly; let the signals air out by spreading the PCBs over a marble slab. Standard PS1 DAC swap. Remove the switches and wiring harnesses, those tiny antennas inject noise. An external linear supply really brings out the microdeets. Overall, I think you'll find this tidy little system punches well above it's weight.

I thought this was the vintage/two channel thread for a moment.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Thought of this thread when I saw this (its the onion for music nerds)

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/punk-audiophile-spends-2000-on-turntable-to-listen-to-album-recorded-on-beer-soaked-4-track-in-basement

The Hard Times posted:

Punk Audiophile Spends $2,000 on Turntable to Listen to Album Recorded on Beer Soaked 4-Track in Basement

SOMERVILLE, Mass. — Graphic Designer Terry Spinoza recently spent nearly two thousand dollars on an Audio Perfektion turntable in order to listen to his collection of poorly produced and recorded LPs, confirmed sources close to the situation.

“Last month I spent about five hundred bucks on the first pressing of S.V.A.’s (Situationally Violent Adolescents) debut ‘We the Kids Are Together in This Until the End.’ It got me thinking that if I’m spending all this cash on vinyl, shouldn’t I buy a decent record player to listen to them on?” said Spinoza, sitting in the “vinyl room” of his apartment just outside of Davis Square. “I did my research and I settled on the AP10. As soon as I plugged it in I could hear the difference right away. The muddy guitar tones, the washed-out bass lines, the overblown drums. It was so much warmer and abrasive at the same time. It was like I was in the Allston basement where they recorded it.”
Day laborer and former singer of the S.V.A., Ian ‘Jabs’ Jabrowski, spoke about recording the band’s debut back in the summer of 1983.

“I don’t even think we had 4-tracks. More like three,” said Jabrowski as he took a break from hauling sheets of plywood. “We only had two microphones so we put one in the kick drum and propped another up on a pile of empty beer cans in the middle of the room. For vocals, I just screamed right into the little mic hole on the Tascam itself. I remember not being able to hear anything, just a wash of cymbals bouncing off the cinderblock walls. But when we listened back, you could actually kinda make out the songs.”

Jonas Müller, Head Acoustic Engineer at Audio Perfektion, has concerns about the rise in turntables sales over the last few years.
“For years, only lovers of the symphony would buy our turntables,” said Müller while calibrating the tonearm on a new prototype. “Then vinyl became popular and now there’s backorder until next St. Stephen’s Day. We engineer our equipment to the highest specifications. Each cartridge must reproduce three times the bandwidth of human hearing before it can leave our facility. They are really meant for Deutsche Grammophon quality vinyl, not some Lana Del Ray album bought at Target. The lowest quality music that should be listened to on any Audio Perfektion equipment would be Steely Dan, but I don’t recommend even that.”

At press time, Spinoza was investing several more thousand dollars into a surround sound speaker system in order to watch his collection of ‘90s skate videos on VHS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ah, the Henry Rollins disease

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, a lot of the music of my youth sounds terrible [especially the hundreds of literal cassette rips from raves]. If you want a good example of this listen to Pretty Hate Machine in the original mix vs the remaster, both are on streaming.

The same thing applies to these ancient jazz recordings dudes are spending $40 for a new mix of, they were recorded on garbage equipment, maybe not as bad as most early punk but still not great stuff. Or my favorite scam, paying extra for a new, even higher resolution rip of a 60 year old 1/4".

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
There are some people doing incredible restorations/remasters of old/bad recordings, and I love the work they're doing. My experience is more from the classical music side of it, as some of those old performances by the old masters of the craft are just so good and unique.. but held back by the original recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Classical lives and dies on dynamic range so that makes sense. Meanwhile there’s plug-ins for rap producers to intentionally dither the audio down to 10 bit to make it sound more old school.