Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Are there any audiophile companies getting in on the capacitor scam? Dad guitar players are kind of like audiophiles and they pay 50 bucks a pop for capacitors that look kind of like some mythical caps used in 1950s Gibsons. Sometimes the caps being sold are legitimate old stock products, sometimes they're supposed to be actual replicas, and sometimes they're just a bog standard cap painted to look like the desirable ones. Seems like that would be a great low-effort high-margin product to push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

Are there any audiophile companies getting in on the capacitor scam? Dad guitar players are kind of like audiophiles and they pay 50 bucks a pop for capacitors that look kind of like some mythical caps used in 1950s Gibsons. Sometimes the caps being sold are legitimate old stock products, sometimes they're supposed to be actual replicas, and sometimes they're just a bog standard cap painted to look like the desirable ones. Seems like that would be a great low-effort high-margin product to push.

Just ask China.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Nichicon and Panasonic have audio grade caps with a lot of marketing fluff to describe them, but they are still quite affordable. $2-3 per cap vs 50c

But yeah there's def ridiculous boutique brand caps for audio stuff that are 30, 40, 50 or more each. You run into a lot of them searching for crossover components.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The proper capacitors for audio are the vacuum ones, because the vacuum between the plates attenuates the cross-talk the best.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chill Callahan posted:

Just ask China.

Is this a counterfeit Elna capacitor?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Residency Evil posted:

Is this a counterfeit Elna capacitor?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BANME.sh posted:

Nichicon and Panasonic have audio grade caps with a lot of marketing fluff to describe them, but they are still quite affordable. $2-3 per cap vs 50c

But yeah there's def ridiculous boutique brand caps for audio stuff that are 30, 40, 50 or more each. You run into a lot of them searching for crossover components.

I hand built some crossovers for a couple of sets of tops for my PA kit, 4 cabs in total, high and mid. All in I spent maybe $150 for ALL the parts, caps, resistors and fairly hefty inductors and those were overspecced in terms of 'quality'.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Audiophiles who are paranoid about every little bit of inconsequential noise in their systems.

Non-related, I set the tracking weight on my newly-acquired turntable to 1.75g, by balancing the tonearm by feel and then setting the counterweight appropriately. I borrowed a precision scale to check it just for fun today and it was 1.78g.

I'd say that's pretty good for a non-audiophile :v:

That's how everyone has been doing it for decades.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I know in order to get high quality audio with spotify I have to run fidelify. However fidelify sucks for me and tends not to work. Is there any way to get high quality audio through spotify otherwise? Also is there any way to set an output device for spotify? Fidelify can do this but for obvious reasons I can't use it. Default spotify, amazingly, does not have this feature.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

So I know in order to get high quality audio with spotify I have to run fidelify. However fidelify sucks for me and tends not to work. Is there any way to get high quality audio through spotify otherwise? Also is there any way to set an output device for spotify? Fidelify can do this but for obvious reasons I can't use it. Default spotify, amazingly, does not have this feature.

I have no idea what Fidelify is but can't you just do this?

under edit->preferences

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

So I know in order to get high quality audio with spotify I have to run fidelify.

This is untrue. Spotify has absolutely fine audio quality the way it is.

But no, you can't choose a specific output. That is the only real advantage I can think of for fidelify.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Jmcrofts posted:

I have no idea what Fidelify is but can't you just do this?

under edit->preferences

Oh snap, I was under the imrpession this wasn't available yet! Thanks.

Still too bad about the audio device. Its like 5 years old now, why the gently caress don't they have that setting for a MUSIC PLAYER!?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just to clarify, checking that box is equivalent to "Extreme" quality on the mobile app. With the box unchecked, it's equivalent to "High" quality on the mobile app.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

To clarify further, Spotify streams .ogg at 96/160/320kbps for the three settings, which is more than you'll ever need.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
How did I miss this nonsense?

quote:

Fidelify uses Spotify Core to deliver streaming content directly to the soundcard, using either ASIO or WASAPI. This enables the user to easily avoid sampling conversion or mixing, ensuring a bit perfect stream.

Eh -- so if I'm streaming 44 kHz / 16 bits, moderately compressed, audio, and letting good ol' Spotify output it through the Windows audio drivers, I'm losing what exactly? It's not like it has to be resampled or remixed. All the tracks are natively CD quality (44/16), aren't they?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

They should be 44/16. But even if they aren't or your soundcard is 48/16 native it doesn't matter because Windows' SRC is perfect. (Assuming you're not running 7 with no updates)

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
Is it alright to add somewhat different speakers to a 5.1 setup to make it 7.1?

I'm making a second-hand home theater using parts my parents didn't want (They had a 5.1 system, but complained they couldn't hear dialog so got a soundbar). They gave me a Klipsch Quintet 5.0 system with a KSW10 subwoofer.

I also have my old hi-fi klipsch speakers, bookshelf ones. SB - 1 speakers. They're a bit bigger than the quintet speakers. Does that make any difference? Will it sound weird to use them as extra pairs (like sound different than the other 5, thus making them stand out like black sheep). I don't know how speakers work in this way, I assume different models, brands sound different

I'm perfectly fine with 5.1, just the receiver I have allows up to 7.1 so it got me curious!

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Just try it out. If it sounds awful go back to 5.1.

Edit: Dave Jones again, this time ripping into Sony's new audiophile memory card. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO-vbzLPwSc

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 1, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Basket of Kittens posted:

Is it alright to add somewhat different speakers to a 5.1 setup to make it 7.1?

I'm making a second-hand home theater using parts my parents didn't want (They had a 5.1 system, but complained they couldn't hear dialog so got a soundbar). They gave me a Klipsch Quintet 5.0 system with a KSW10 subwoofer.

I also have my old hi-fi klipsch speakers, bookshelf ones. SB - 1 speakers. They're a bit bigger than the quintet speakers. Does that make any difference? Will it sound weird to use them as extra pairs (like sound different than the other 5, thus making them stand out like black sheep). I don't know how speakers work in this way, I assume different models, brands sound different

I'm perfectly fine with 5.1, just the receiver I have allows up to 7.1 so it got me curious!

I'd put the bigger bookshelf speakers in as your front left and front right and use the current front left/right as surrounds, because your front speakers are the most important. It doesn't really matter very much if the surrounds aren't matched. There's not a ton of important, full-range audio coming out of the surround back speakers anyway.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 2, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yes, really: http://www.lessloss.com/anchorwave-interconnects-and-speaker-cables-p-205.html

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Joke's on them, I make omni-directional speaker cables and interconnects by harnessing the power of a black hole and sending the cables through a wormhole which aligns the cable's structure perfectly. $50k per metre.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Please note the bottom text on that picture. It is absolutely glorious.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/sony-will-sell-a-premium-sound-microsdxc-card-to-audiophiles-in-japan/

english article on the sony audiophile sd card

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Burnt in using 1000 watt kettle. Maintained AC directionality by marking plug ends.. Cryogenically treated by leaving it out in the Tasmanian winter for 3 years. After extensive sighted listening tests, the blue and brown conductors have been noted to maintain cleaner mids and extensive pace, rhythm and timing.

This is pretty much the ultimate in speaker wire.

Also, consider this: http://www.stereophile.com/thinkpieces/021708swiftboat/

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BurritoJustice posted:

To clarify further, Spotify streams .ogg at 96/160/320kbps for the three settings, which is more than you'll ever need.

Actually was coming to see if people had thoughts on Tidal. I've been using the 1-week free trial and a) really like the option for full CD-quality FLAC , in addition to 320kbps and 96kbps AAC (particularly when streaming through my stereo system) and b) just find the user experience to be better conceived than Spotify (the Spotify thread is sharpening their pitchforks over the newest version). It's $20/month, but I feel it's worth it just for the UX, plus they seem to be getting ready for some big move (they've got a countdown clock and have killed the branding for their standard service "WiMP").

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been reasonably pleased with it. A few of the curated playlists have exposed me to stuff I hadn't heard before, although that's more because I'm a socially withdrawn neckbeard than because they're obscure.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Burnt in using 1000 watt kettle. Maintained AC directionality by marking plug ends.. Cryogenically treated by leaving it out in the Tasmanian winter for 3 years. After extensive sighted listening tests, the blue and brown conductors have been noted to maintain cleaner mids and extensive pace, rhythm and timing.

This is pretty much the ultimate in speaker wire.

Also, consider this: http://www.stereophile.com/thinkpieces/021708swiftboat/

Too bad all that wiring inside the equipment didn't go through the same treatment though.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I was shopping for some speakers recently (not even super high end, just Audioengine A5+s and their competitors) and it was hard to take any review seriously that used words like "sound stage" and "airiness" and all that. Honestly, reading reviews was basically worthless, since one person would say the set had one set of characteristics, and someone else would say the exact opposite. (Ended up with the A5+s, no complaints except that I definitely needed a sub.)

However, what really stood out was the music these "audiophiles" used to test the speakers. I read so many reviews where they mentioned they played a "diverse" or "eclectic" mix of music through them, being open-minded music fans, of course, which inevitably turned out to be a wide-ranging grab bag of artists such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Blondie, and the Eagles. Come on, 60-year-old white guy, where's the Skrillex?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

I was shopping for some speakers recently (not even super high end, just Audioengine A5+s and their competitors) and it was hard to take any review seriously that used words like "sound stage" and "airiness" and all that. Honestly, reading reviews was basically worthless, since one person would say the set had one set of characteristics, and someone else would say the exact opposite. (Ended up with the A5+s, no complaints except that I definitely needed a sub.)

However, what really stood out was the music these "audiophiles" used to test the speakers. I read so many reviews where they mentioned they played a "diverse" or "eclectic" mix of music through them, being open-minded music fans, of course, which inevitably turned out to be a wide-ranging grab bag of artists such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Blondie, and the Eagles. Come on, 60-year-old white guy, where's the Skrillex?

I'd be the best speaker reviewer. Artists on my Spotify playlist: Megaherz, Rush, Cake, Oomph!, Watsky, Placebo, OK Go, K.Flay, Infected Mushroom, Teddybears, Gogol Bordello, Eric Clapton, Movits!, Iron & Wine, JayZ, Gil Scott-Heron....

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

You're missing the easy ones like assorted non-dubstep electronic/techno, jazz, classical, classic country, and big band, let alone West Coast gangster rap, 1960s French lounge music and Bollywood hits. :cripes:

NEXT!

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 25, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

You're missing the easy ones like assorted non-dubstep electronic/techno, jazz, classical, classic country, and big band, let alone West Coast gangster rap, 1960s French lounge music and Bollywood hits. :cripes:

NEXT!

Techno/electronic: Armin Van Buuren, Justice, Daft Punk, M|O|O|N, Anamanaguchi... (too many to list)
Jazz: John Legend
Big Band: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (I've seen these guys live)
West Coast Gangster Rap: 2Pac, Chali 2na

Again, just going off of my Spotify playlist. And I haven't even gotten into the really weird/esoteric poo poo I listen to.

I'll give you classical, country, 1960's French lounge and Bollywood.

:colbert:

Edit: I have the Cherlene album from Archer on there. Does that count as Country?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 25, 2015

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I was mostly just messing with you, but that list is certainly more comprehensive and varied than almost any "audiophile" playlist I've seen in a review, which generally have a very cohesive and simple "stuff a mid-to-upper class 60-year-old white guy would listen to" theme. Their frequent lack of taste or predilection for boring conventional music doesn't usually give me a good feeling about their ability to assess speaker performance, either...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

I was mostly just messing with you, but that list is certainly more comprehensive and varied than almost any "audiophile" playlist I've seen in a review, which generally have a very cohesive and simple "stuff a mid-to-upper class 60-year-old white guy would listen to" theme. Their frequent lack of taste or predilection for boring conventional music doesn't usually give me a good feeling about their ability to assess speaker performance, either...

In case you haven't noticed, the kind of people that will obsess over minor differences in sound between two systems are not very interesting people, in general. I doubt most audiophiles really enjoy music very much.

Edit: This also made me realize I need to sit down and organize my Spotify playlists. Hitting random and going from Aloe Blacc to Lorde to Heavy Young Heathens is... weird.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 25, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KillHour posted:

I doubt most audiophiles really enjoy music very much.

I prefer the pure tones of sine waves to the cacophony of music.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

KillHour posted:

I doubt most audiophiles really enjoy music very much.

Agreed.

While I'm here, I don't know if this is totally ignorant but: wouldn't the easiest way to test a system be to put a couple high quality mics/sound recorders right at the position of your ears in your listening room, play a track, and then compare the hi-fi recording's waveform to the one that started out in the system? I doubt it would ever be a 100% match just due to acoustics but if they're going for absolute fidelity, and feeling like you're right there next to Roger Waters and Syd Barret in the studio, it seems to this know-nothing layman like that would be the scientific way to approach it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

Agreed.

While I'm here, I don't know if this is totally ignorant but: wouldn't the easiest way to test a system be to put a couple high quality mics/sound recorders right at the position of your ears in your listening room, play a track, and then compare the hi-fi recording's waveform to the one that started out in the system? I doubt it would ever be a 100% match just due to acoustics but if they're going for absolute fidelity, and feeling like you're right there next to Roger Waters and Syd Barret in the studio, it seems to this know-nothing layman like that would be the scientific way to approach it?

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

LifeSizePotato posted:

the scientific way to approach it
There's your problem right there, noone in the target demographic gives a crap about that.

Hell, they probably consider it an insult.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 25, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Just to confirm that KillHour isn't being sarcastic, REW is a great program and a calibrated USB mic is a good investment. You will end up listening to a lot of loud tone sweeps, though.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

There's your problem right there, noone in the target demographic gives a crap about that.

Hell, they probably consider it an insult.

Oh yeah, I know. I've lurked the whole thread and know the score. I was mostly just curious if a normal-ish person who wants an accurate hi-fi setup could use that technique to cut to the chase and avoid all the nonsense babble from silver-haired Golden Ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

Oh yeah, I know. I've lurked the whole thread and know the score. I was mostly just curious if a normal-ish person who wants an accurate hi-fi setup could use that technique to cut to the chase and avoid all the nonsense babble from silver-haired Golden Ears.

Even better, you can use that technique to help correct for room acoustics (with a DSP) so you don't have to sit in an anechoic chamber when listening to music!

A halfway decent system with DSP should outperform a 6 figure "audiophile" system in the same room every time.