Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

Or use your already expensive video card HDMI port. Instant sound.

Wouldn't this also be true with the cheap on-board SPDIF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
For some reason I get and audio newsletter or something like that in my e-mail. I usually ignore it, but yesterday they had this article:

http://www.avguide.com/review/furutech-gt2-usb-cable-playback-26?src=Playback

I have no words.

Edit: Well, actually I have some words. From the article:

Thus, my challenge to skeptics is a simple one: set aside your preconceptions and carefully compare USB cables playing actual music through your preferred reference USB DAC in a good sound system. See what (if any) differences you observe. If one cable does consistently sound better to you than another, then you’ve found a good thing. If not, then no real harm has been done (apart from having enjoyed a good evening of music, which is surely not a bad thing).

No harm, except a $240 dent in your wallet for nothing.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 23, 2009

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why do audiophiles always like badlame music :confused:

Audiophiles do not listen to music, they listen to equipment. Music is just a necessary evil. Now let me play Yello - The Race for you so you can really experience the openness in the soundstage these unobtanium wood coasters I have placed under my CD player create.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Quote is not edit.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Alan_Shore posted:

Anyway I've bought a Sharp minidisc player and even a car minidisc stereo. Why. Why have I done this.

Because you want to be the Last Action Hero.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I worked at B&O (in Struer) until 2007 :v:

Oh yeah, a Beosystem 7000 in proper 1980s white on white with a set of Beolab Pentas would be one hell of a setup, both from a quality and an aesthetic point of view.

Envy me!

I picked this up at 11:30 last night, so haven't had time to set it up in a pretty way to take nice pics yet, but on the right you can see my white Redline 60.2s and standing right behind it is a white chassis MX7000.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

:argh:

Did you get the turntable, too?

No, but I have a TX-2 sitting which needs a new MMC needle, and I have a lead on a second steel grey 7000 system which has a turntable with an unspecified problem.

I currently have four pretty big B&O systems and my regular 5.1 Sony home cinema system in our 50 sqm flat with no extra storage, so I have to sell off some poo poo before I get any more.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Hey guys, remember how audiophiles said that drawing in green marker on the edge of your CDs would somehow make them sound better?

Ever hear of Pioneers stable platter CD players, where you put in CDs upside down on a platter, and the laser sits above it like a turntable stylus?

What do you think happens when a wannabe audiophile idiot combines these two technologies?

:nms: http://imgur.com/gpRyYjj :nms:

I paid $5 for it untested at a flea market. In addition to cleaning green goo for hours, I also had to superglue the laser lens back in place, and the inside of the metal cover was covered in aluminum foil! It's like a bunch of idiots got together and made a list of the stupidest audiophile theories, because I can't see just one person making up such a bunch of idiocy!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

Weren't you supposed to use a Sharpie and not paint? :wtc:

Yes, and you were supposed to do it on the CD, not on the player. And the laser on this player (Pioneer PD-9700) is nowhere near where the green paint is.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
We have the Tandberg people, and they are a crazy bunch.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

qirex posted:

Let's be audiophiles instead of ridiculing them for a minute; share some of your speaker shopping/calibration tracks. [warning: much '90s music ahead]

• Orbital - The Box (long): this is my kitchen sink song, it has everything: male vocals, female vocals, pads, sharp analog synth, big distorted bass synths, piano, harpsichord and it switches between from totally overloaded wall of sound to very quiet bits. I've listened to it a million times so I know what I want it to sound like. Only problem is having to skip around since it's 26 minutes. Maybe I should do an edit just for testing.
  • Renegade Soundwave - Renegade Soundwave (Leftfield remix): good for checking out "musical bass" and for setting up sub crossover points
  • Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Truth: Good for pointing out boominess because the bass will squash everything on bad speakers also calms down sales people because it sounds like music they've heard before, at least until the rapping begins
  • Dillinja - Nasty Ways (shy FX): the track has an utter shitload of bass but the heavily processed snares and high hats are what I'm listening for, they get hot/sibilant easily, can cause major stinkface in retail associates
  • Electroliners - Loose Caboose: Good for imaging because it does tons of stereo panning
Overall I guess I picked out tracks I've heard sound wrong on systems I didn't like.

Some of my standards:

Transformers OST - Arrival to Earth
AC/DC - Big Gun, Shoot to Thrill
Madrugada - The Kids are on High Street
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Pt2.
Chris Cornell - You know my name
Jan Hammer - Crocketts Theme
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Sia - Chandelier
Daft Punk - End of Line, Get Lucky

Most are very demanding overproduced tracks, or tracks with lots of dynamic range. Compression or bad equipment will make them sound muddled and make the instruments mesh with each other into just noise, while good recordings and equipment will separate instruments from each other and from the vocals, and let you hear much more detail.

That's probably the most audiophile thing I've ever written.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
There was this one audiophile parody website that I think has come up in this thread a couple of times where they listed fake products such as speaker cable fluid and demagnetizing your living room over the phone, and people kept putting in orders.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

We haven't talked about audiophile power outlets in a while.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/75093/studies-on-residential-power-line-noise-part-5-ps-audio-power-port-premier

Some guy on r/audiophile posted that link as proof that expensive power outlets make a difference.

300 hour break in.

That's genius, just say that you won't notice any difference (or it will sound bad) for so long that whoever bought it will forget they even have it or what it's supposed to do before it's supposed to be ready.

Just like you have to leave your Playstation turned on for 3-4 days before playing a CD on it so that it will REALLY warm up.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
On a Norwegian HiFi forum I check very infrequently, a discussion about CDs vs streaming devolved into a discussion about the sound quality difference in spinning harddrives vs SSD drives.

I'm getting actual chest pains.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I can picture the target buyers as computer users who loved Soundblaster cards in the 90s, and now has Silicon Valley disposable income. If I were one of those, I would easily buy one.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

shortspecialbus posted:

Maybe if you added "only watches Netflix streaming" and "lives in a small apartment with no room for actual speakers (or noise complaint something something)" you'd be right.

So, everyone that lives in and around Silicon Valley.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I was working on a flea market Pioneer PD-S707 CD player that needed a new spindle motor, and found this delightful little thing:

A previous owner replaced the stock oscillator crystal with a fancier one.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
There are DVDs like the THX optimizer disc that will play channels one by one. Most home theatre receivers also have a test tone that will play speakers one by one. It's worth trying out before you start pulling cables.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Jago posted:

The soldering on that piece of poo poo look worse than what I do, huge bubbles, the wire came off the motor, lots of patch cables. What trash. It looks like there was a through hole for the other ground wire, but it just wasn't used. Is a 3 wire stylus likely to cause some of the performance issues? It seems pretty clear that the thing is way too heavy on the groove, wow what a piece of junk. I don't think you could trick an audiophile into buying one of these.

My wife insists on having a turntable and buying vintage records that she barely plays. No big deal. The turntable we have is definetely crummy. I just took a scan through amazon, and I have no idea what is good. Any recommendations on a compact size player?

The AT-LP120 and AT-LP60 are the easy default choices, depending on how much you want to spend. Welcome to the hoarding wife club.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

I'm pretty sure that's not how banana plugs work.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I work in the part of town where all the hifi vendors have their showrooms, so I've taken my test CDs to them and listened to $20-40,000 setups to compare it to my craigslisted and flea marketed home system. They sound objectively better than what I have, but only by so much, and only in the sense that it's simply more of the same of what I have at home.

The only thing I've heard that has been a radically different experience has been Bang & Olufsens Beolab 90. They listen to their own surroundings and adjust the sound to negate the effect the walls in the room have on the music. The only way I can describe it is like listening to music through infinitely large headphones!

If that technology can be brought to smaller and cheaper speakers, and even to car audio systems, it will be a huge leap forward.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's because they're literally all engineers. (Or retired engineers.)

I deal a bit in vintage audio and I am on Facebook groups where there are tons of retired engineers. These people have literally built up countries around the world, they have built oilrigs and airfields, and handground parts for fighter jet engines and supertanker coolant systems.

Replace a belt on a tape deck? Noooooo, can't do that without a service manual. 3D print a plastic knob or a foot for an old record player? Black magic! Impossible! The only option is to wait years for a parts player to show up! Maybe scan in a rare AM/FM scale glass for a radio so that you can reproduce clean copies? gently caress off!

But they will happily tell you that partsbin receivers made in the death throes of a bankrupt niche audio manufacturer sound better than anything Sony, Denon or Pioneer ever made.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Went to check out the Naim Statement today. Got a presentation by a couple of guys from Naim, and about an hour and a half of music.

All they played was audiophile jazz and lounge singer music! The only song that was interesting to me was White Wedding by Billy Idol. I would have liked to have heard Money for Nothing and Another Brick in the Wall and other songs I've heard a million times before so that I could actually hear differences in songs I know.

The Naim guys said a lady bought 24 of the power amplifiers for her husband, which was used for among other things a bi-amped 7.1 home cinema setup.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
It was endgame stereo equipment, but I can still draw a straight line labelled "more of the same" from my $200 preowned Yamaha/Tannoy home setup through $20,000 and $50,000 systems I've tried to the Naim/Focal setup.

The only thing I have heard that is truly a different experience were Beolab 90 speakers. They use microphone arrays to listen to themselves in the room and adjust the sound accordingly. They made it sound like the walls in the room disappeared and I was wearing infinitely large headphones. That's the kind of effect I expect from an $80,000 system.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I want to see the technology from the flagship Beolab speakers in cars. The speakers have builtin microphones so they constantly listen to themselves and adjust for the environment.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
In my post history in this thread I bought a CD player where someone had just slathered the whole insides in green.

Edit:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
All DACs sound the same, I've been told. Amps too.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

The point was probably more like it's overpriced crap.

Which is a good reason to buy it second-hand for low prices from those who get fooled by a graph on a forum, and NEED to upgrade.

I have a Modi mk1 and Magni mk2 and my total spend has been $50.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Disappointing Pie posted:

I finally got a solid PC, a good monitor etc etc. Now I want to take the level up a notch from just plugging my 8 year old Creative Lab 2.1 speakers into my mobo's 3.5 output.

I know nothing about higher end audio gear but have been doing some research and I know I probably need a DAC and possibly an AMP and I'd like 2 speakers (or monitors?) and a good pair of headphones. There's not a lot of beginner guides out there. I'm mainly going to be gaming, watching Youtube, listening to music of which mostly consists of late 90's early 2000's alternative rock and classic rock songs and sometimes watching a movie or netflix while gaming on another screen. I'm willing to spend up to $500-700 on this stuff. The good news is, I'm assuming it's not quite like a GPU where it'll be outdated in a couple years so I'm willing to pay more for an investment.

You'll want the Asus Xonar U7. We have our own headphones thread and PC speaker threads too. Most likely you'll want a couple of JBL 305 monitors, and Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT770 depending on whether you want open or closed headphones.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I ordered Dekoni pads for my WH-1000XM3s. They are usually fine to and from work, but after a few hours on a plane the cartilage in my ears gets pretty tired and sore from them. Will be interesting to see if there is a huge difference, they sure as gently caress were expensive enough!

Edit - WTF, this isn't the headphone thread!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I have the RX-V1700, which is the little brother of the 2700, and it is a monster soundwise. These were designed and built without compromise, and there is lots of stuff to google about them. Would highly and happily recommend the 2700 at that price, it will beat any new budget amplifier handily.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 16, 2020

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I do, for the sake of collecting, restoring and maintaining vintage audio equipment and retro video game systems.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

The first place I worked doing live sound had Peavey hisys stuff that used lightbulbs internally as fuses for the horns. Only saw them light up once. I was unaware, up until that point, that they were in there. I thought the stacks were burning.

This makes things make a lot more sense. When I was 13-14, I was a "DJ" at a local teen club, and I managed to play music on the dancefloor loud enough to make the speakers glow inside. When I looked back at it as an adult, I always thought it was the coils glowing somehow, then I thought about how much power that would take and how much heat it would make and what that would do to the speaker. It didn't even occur to me until now over 25 years later it might have been a fuse that was also a bulb.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Alan_Shore posted:

I was absolutely not expecting the thread to pine for MiniDiscs but it warms the cockles of my heart.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this beauty in my picture. Practically the first MP3 player. 32Mb of storage. Absolutely blew everyone away when I brought it on a school trip. Impossible to use now without a serial port (or you buy a 32Mb CF card. I bought a 64Mb one to try my luck but NOPE)

Since I'm working from home and I like showing this off better than working, ridicule portablephiles!

High res: https://imgur.com/a/jaV9bkp

Also, the Sony XA3ES and JB920 are connected with optical, and the remote control has dedicated buttons that control both the CD and MD player at the same time to do perfect recordings. I also used to have a setup that would record SACDs to tape.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 17, 2021

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Alan_Shore posted:

That is absolutely beautiful! I have so many tapes from Bandcamp but can't afford to buy a decent walkman. The prices are mad. And what a lovely Sony tower! I have a Yamaha tape deck (K220 that records onto metal) and will try to get the rest of it one day (they have a MD deck).

I recently rebought the CD/MD hifi from my youth, the superb Sony DHC-MDX10 with its GROOVE bass, but the cassette deck and CD drive got knackered in transit. MD and optical in work perfectly though. Super nostalgic to input track names by dialling that wheel around...

Thanks! The Sony tower is just a semi, you should see it fully erect!

Hope you manage to repair your MDX10, 14 year old me would have absolutely loved to have that!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Pile Of Garbage posted:

What's that tape walkman on the far-right, middle row? My dad had (Maybe still has) one of those. Cool as heck.

I don't own any Sony portable or hi-fi gear but I do own one of their classic radios which still works and I use on the reg:

It's a WM-D6C, a very high quality professional walkman used by reporters and journalists to do recordings. The side effect of all the build quality is that it's great for music too!

There's lots to google about it, and you should definitively check if your dad still has his. Belts and rubber parts for the disk drive mechanism are still easily available, and replacing them isn't very hard.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I know a dude who writes insane hifi gear reviews for an obscure online outlet. He owns one of those van type Renault thingies on a regular car platform. Maybe the kangoo, if that still exists? Anyway, he bought it because he was convinced it had better acoustics than a normal car.

e:found it

He's nowhere near the top. Real autoaudiophiles fill the floor and all cavities in their car with concrete, and line the rest of the body with asphalt mats for sound insulation before they start building their sound system.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

TooLShack posted:

I've been looking for a discman, what is a model you would recommend?

The newest you can get for a reasonable price. I have gone through of the old "high-end" metal chassis models like the D-555, D-350 and D-9, and using them is like trying to keep an old Lamborghini running. It's not worth the effort. My more modern cheap plastic Sonys are 100% reliable, sound great and can run for much longer on a single AA battery.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Incredibly much of audiophilery is willful denial of everything that happens on the digital side of the digital to analog converter.

The rest is cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

namlosh posted:

People have more than one set of headphones???

I'm afraid to count, but I think it's somewhere around 15. Most of them have been very good deals from classified ads, some have been paid for by work, and I've also sold off a bunch. It's key to being an audiophool on a budget.