Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
So I got some Tannoy HPD 315s, anyone have any experience with them?

edit: mostly asking because I've heard a lot of audiophile woo about how great they supposedly are, and they do sound really good but I was wondering what specific properties they have that cause audiophiles to go nuts about them

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

So they're decent, but because they're ~*vintage*~ people go nuts over them. Makes sense.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Tannoys a great brand. These are 40 years old, but they're fifteens so they should play low. Expect to spend money on them (roll surrounds if you can find them, and crossover caps) but they should be nice.

Surrounds have been done already and I can probably do the crossover caps myself, but yeah I'm happy with them so far.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

TomR posted:

Post a photo please. This thread is for mocking people's home decorating and carpet cleaning skills. Plus I like to see speakers.

I'll post pics when I get around to it, currently hung over and extremely lazy.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

TomR posted:

Post a photo please. This thread is for mocking people's home decorating and carpet cleaning skills. Plus I like to see speakers.

I meant to post this ages ago but I totally forgot. Please make fun of my mediocre housekeeping skills.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

please tell me those speaker stands have gas struts in them

Sadly no.

But they bloody well should.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

is that a loving commodore vic 20

The mini C64 they released a few weeks back, edit: I do have a fully working VIC 20 but no software for it so it’s just a display piece for now.

also the housings on those speakers are made of concrete and are extremely heavy. The story is that back in the 80s, my dad had a friend who was into all kinds of audiophile woo and built those round concrete housings himself. He was apparently going to go into business manufacturing and selling them but it kind of fell through and he gave the prototypes to my dad, who used them until the surrounds disintegrated.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 19, 2018

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Yeah, coaxial drivers. The crossovers are supposedly adjustable, but they're hidden in the housing behind the driver and are a complete pain in the rear end to get to.

They do sound pretty good, but now that I'm living in an apartment I can't turn them up quite as loud as I'd like.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I gotta admit I rip everything to FLAC because, why the hell not, storage is cheap these days.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Had an engineer tell me with a straight face that CD quality (16bit/44.1kHz) music is very audibly worse than 32-bit vinyl FLAC rips.

Nice long chat with that bloke about the limitations of humans and him being a loving idiot.

I mean if you're looking for a less overcompressed sound specifically from tracks mastered in the loudness era ok whatever but like...

Did the phrase "Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem" come up a lot?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Those look a lot like the round concrete Tannoys I posted here a while ago.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Mr. Mercury posted:

It's not a joke! It's something that's often used to demonstrate that materials don't matter as much as people think. There was a $1million prize if you could prove you could tell the difference between audiophile cables and normal ones by James Randi but no winners before he died

But you see, when you spend thousands on speaker cables you'll convince yourself you can hear the difference.

Audiophiles even have a cute little term for it, they call it the psychoacoustic effect.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

But the "getting drunk" part happens all the same.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

KillHour posted:

I haven't watched a lot of his stuff, but the stuff I have watched seems to mostly revolve around value for the money and build quality. And beating things to death with a large rock. Didn't seem like an audio idiot to me.

That's been his thing for a while. iPod repairs and modding, how to get good sound on a budget, and being very, very Australian.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Well that's disappointing.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

CDs in general just don’t do it for me. If you just want to listen to music, there are more convenient ways. If you want to collect it, there are more interesting formats.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

strtj posted:

As a longtime Discogs user I know they've been having trouble on the back end for a while, taking a super hands-off approach to even basic issues with the site/database while moving more and more towards paid/shill stuff on the frontend. But this was particularly ridiculous: https://www.discogs.com/digs/gear/why-you-need-a-portable-turntable/

“Published in partnership with Victoria” yeah no poo poo

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

olives black posted:

I continue to be fascinated and flabbergasted by people who pimp expensive CD transports.

This one's $3000 dollars

https://youtu.be/uKQTf1loUvM

like I get maybe buying a used CD player with an optical/coax out to skip the whole FLAC ripping step but :wtc: that is several months of rent money my dude

Man I spent $10 on a Sony CD player with optical out a thrift shop a few years ago and even that felt excessive.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Mederlock posted:

I found a nice Harmon Kardon 5 CD carousel with a passable DAC and an optical out that I found at a thrift shop for $10, that was a nice find and about the most I'd spend on a CD player

The thing is, I have absolutely no need for a dedicated CD player. I’ve got at least seven devices capable of playing CDs, three of them supporting digital playback over HDMI. I just enjoy the pointless extravagance of having a dedicated device that does nothing but play CDs.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

qirex posted:

So much of the "conventional wisdom" about digital audio is just some throwaway comment from a magazine review in 1986 that has been repeated so many times it becomes "true."

If you want a laugh, ask an audiophile what the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem is. They’ll get mad and change the subject.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Gramps posted:

Any Audiophile types in here and not just nerds roasting them:

Just buy some studio monitors and be done with it. If they're good enough to make the music on, they're good enough to listen back to it. You can get powered Focals for like 800 bucks a pair and they absolutely crush. I have broken many hearts with them. My friends who fancy themselves as audiophiles sit down in front of them and are absolutely destroyed every single time, and my room isn't particularly well treated and I have a bit of resonance around 140hz or so and these things STILL destroy. The only downside is you do have to be sitting close to them.

Pfft get a load of THIS guy wanting things to sound “good”

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

olives black posted:

New Scientific Audiophile dropped.

https://youtu.be/-r2yQ2_Al_g

tl;dw it sounds fine but it'll be a brick in a few years because it requires the mobile app to function.

That poo poo really ought to be illegal. Huge unconscionable waste of natural resources.

It’s Sonos, didn’t they get in some kind of trouble for bricking perfectly functional gear a while back?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

olives black posted:

You could still scoot around all of the menus using the output monitor.

Which is how it should be. I have a Denon home theatre amp, I only have it connected to my network so I can AirPlay stuff to it but it functions just fine as an amp and should continue to do so indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I use lossless formats because storage is fairly cheap these days and I’m a massive nerd.