Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

evilcat posted:

I think I found an all new level of insanity.

That's right, all audio cables are just cables and will only send one part of the audio frequency range well, so they have cables made just to do something with that information and it changes gear from just a cable to an interconnect.

It's like someone heard actual electrical engineers talking about poles and zeros while doing frequency analysis of electronics from the other side of an insulated hotel room wall and just went "I can make a product to do that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Uhhh, my eyes kinda slide around that page because of how mediocre everything is, but they're talking a lot about being able to choose your own DAC. Does that mean that that $90k doesn't even buy you the 50 precision resistors to make an R-2R? It's literally a hunk of ugly CNCed wood and some buttons and a uC that reads PCM samples off an SD card?

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Theris posted:

Given his age and career, how likely is it that Niel Young could even hear the difference between a CD and a 64kbps MP3 recorded from a third generation analog cassette that had been high speed dubbed on the cheapest deck you could buy in 1982?

Keeping in mind how notoriously loud his 80s shows were, I just assume anything above 10k is quiet background noise fighting his admitted tinnitus.