Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just found out what "DBT-free" audiophile forums are. God dammit people. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Still relevant 50 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7huNxJ3pXUE

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Maybe they think Expensive Cables do something to 'clean up' signals (somehow) instead of just preserving signal?

BANME.sh posted:

I know I am just giving somebody out there an idea, but I am surprised I haven't heard of audiophile products that change the ratio of gases in the room to attain better sound propagation through the air. Or at the very least, an air conditioner marketed towards audiophiles. Because as we all know, colder air is better at cleaning up muddy bass. Soon we should see listening rooms built inside walk-in freezers.

For the purest listening experience you need to chill your listening lounge to -40 and replace the air with pure hydrogen gas.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mammal Sauce posted:

Oenophiles :eng101: There totally should be, I've always been curious about just how much of that stuff is bullshit.

The main thing with fancy wine is diminishing returns. The difference in quality between the $10 bottle and the $20 bottle might be a lot. The difference between the $20 and the $50 is smaller. The difference between the $200 bottle and the $1000 bottle is not detectable by your palate unless you taste wine for a living and even then I wouldn't put money on it in a double blind test. Plus there's more subjectivity to it than even music.

The only thing really to learn is how to identify the kinds of tastes you like in oenophile terminology so that you can know what you're looking for when you read a description of a wine.

On a slightly more related derail, I'm sure there's more than enough material for a photography bullshit thread. I am downright amazed at what you can pay for a loving tripod.