Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hi thread! I need terrible audiophile YouTube channels in my life. Please help me out with some recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

Steve Guttenberg, Thomas & Stereo, John Darko, Zero Fidelity

drat, Steve Guttenberg sure could use a haircut. After I’ve watched a few of these even worse stuff started popping up. Thank you qirex!
I can now recommend Pursuit Perfect System as the worst snake oil consumer I’ve ever seen and Hans Beekhuyzen as the least interesting YouTube personality.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If you want decent YT reviewers, I like Audioholics. They actually managed to explain amp classes to me, which is a huge success. They also tend to recommend newer stuff and believe even better stuff is yet to come

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

I like their site a lot but most of the videos are homeboy droning on in the dark surrounded by his collection of Star Trek memorabilia which is a bit much.

You talkin’ like it’s a bad thing

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

They left out the one thing that really makes the music sound better. it’s weed

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

They drive a loving Nissan - there’s your problem

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

The smaller players offer it but only if you pay extra. Spotify and Apple Music don’t at all.

Yeah, I’m on Deezer and it’s €3 more for FLAC compared to the 320kbps. I didn’t take it since it’s not worth it IMO

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

What are you using to drive the speakers? Have you considered the option of going for a pure 2.0 setup with a decent pair of sub-$300 bookshelf speakers? ELAC, Klipsch, Dali, Q Acoustics... they all make good bookshelf speakers that probably sound better and even punchier than your current setup.
I would normally advise you to go to a store and audition some speakers, but that is probably not possible at the moment.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I don’t have firsthand experience with any of the gear your local seller is offering, maybe someone else can chime in.
The idea of my first post was to suggest that you should reconsider the need for a separate subwoofer. I think that a couple of decent modern bookshelf speakers can do as much, possibly even a lot more than the smallish subwoofer from your current setup.
My 2.0 setup (Dali Spektor 2s and Yamaha R-S202) has enough bass IMO, and I listen to a ton of bass heavy music - techno, experimental electronica, contemporary hip hop... The speakers cost me $260 in a high markup audiophile store. And they have amazing detail. If you can wait, I would suggest to try and audition some gear once the stores (hopefully) reopen.

edit: just saw the edit, I can vouch for the Yamaha, it’s good

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

I have a $1200 audio system and people who I know have like a $700/month car payment look at me like I'm insane for spending "so much." It's all about priorities.

I know people who own shoes more expensive than my system and they still think I am the weird one

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 2, 2020

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

https://mozzaik-audio.com/ I was shown an ad for this. It's an 8000 euro D class amplifier that also lets you... distort sound according to your personal taste, I guess? I have no idea what to make of this.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I got a ton of professional use out of MD. Paired with a decent microphone, it was good enough to record interviews in broadcast quality at the time. It was 100% reliable, built like a tank and went for ages on a single AA battery.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I know a dude who writes insane hifi gear reviews for an obscure online outlet. He owns one of those van type Renault thingies on a regular car platform. Maybe the kangoo, if that still exists? Anyway, he bought it because he was convinced it had better acoustics than a normal car.

e:found it

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ynohtna posted:

My partner's DAC and amp are from the same manufacturer but have indicators that are very slightly different shades of blue. I try not to notice it but my it gets my antennae softly twitching every night.

:sever:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Yeah, I know tapes have a higher end that can approach archive quality. They're just more suceptible to wear and cheap gear so the end user experience is often really poor. Were digital audio tapes ever a thing?

There is a format called Digital Audio Tape. A friend of mine had one of the early consumer products using DAT in his pretty sweet setup, but the CD pretty much killed any possibility of a DAT home market. As far as I know, it still has use in commercial applications.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Focals are known to be well-made and sweet sounding headphones. And $400 is not that ludicrous for a decent pair of cans, plus a couple of hundred for a good amplification solution. Many people in the headphone thread have spent more on their setups, and I'm not even thinking about the collectors with multiple sets.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I still have my MiniDisc Walkman and it works. It was amazing for the era in terms of reliability and sound quality. I did a lot of interviewing with it and a half decent microphone, was miles ahead of anything else available at the time.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s always white people jazz any way you look at it

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

They taste better, certainly.

Try some cuttlefish ink risotto maybe?:cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007