Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Combat Pretzel posted:

Darker sounding. What the gently caress does that even signify.

That the reviewer is absolutely mental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Some chuckle-gently caress posted:

... I was listening to Sam Cooke at this electrician's house in New Jersey. He had the loudspeakers set up on top of a chest of drawers in his bedroom. There was a mirror behind them and cosmetics scattered around them. Sam is singing "Twisting the Night Away".

We had to sit on his bed to listen. It was a weird scene, but amazing. I could hardly speak. I was choked up. When I finally did speak, all I could say was "Holy fuckin' poo poo! This is un-loving-believable!" ...

...It was the late 1980s when I heard that electrician's 755s...

"One time in the 80's I was really high on coke and listened to Sam Cooke. I've been blowing tens of thousands of dollars chasing that high ever since!"

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
The comments on that article are even more :psyboom:

quote:

...The thing that all critics of his have in common is this: they have done very little to ZERO research on the principles or products involved....

...I call such people “armchair scientists”...

Pot. Kettle. Black.

quote:

...Another major factor involved is that people don’t like to be “proven” wrong about their beliefs. So if you go in thinking this is utter bollocks, chances are good you will conclude the same after the test.....

See above.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

KozmoNaut posted:

Some audiophiles are into the old big-rear end wardrobe-sized speakers, like the old Klipsch Jubilee and Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater and similar models. Enormous room-filling (in every way) speakers that were outrageously expensive in their day, and still command high prices because of their relative rarity. The venerable Klipschorn also has a large following. I understand these guys, big speakers are awesome if you have the room for them, and can produce a big imposing sound profile that no small speaker will ever match.

Like you said though, a lot of audiophiles are into these little piss-ant speakers with like a single 6" full-range driver that can barely handle 30 watts, and they love to harp on about how pure and deep the bass response is.

Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYB2OQncOgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcLV_zXKJiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Z6Z6uNJ2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeo2A2H5SDI

The AVshowrepots and AVshowrooms channels on Youtube are an amazing source of the most amazing pure-strain audiophile twiddle-twaddle bullshit.

Anyone knew the track being played in the 3rd video here? I could use some more accordion in my life.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Palladium posted:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/102583077-post289.html

An fine example of the headphone crazies in my country. The reviewer who tested the Behringer also mentioned every Schitt product he tested measured horribly regardless of price tag. So our hero got himself a $1100 Sony music player (which I'm 99.999% sure loses to the $10 iPhone 7 DAC dongle) through at least 2 pieces of distortion-fest laden gear in his hilariously complicated signal chain. I hope he doesn't see this post or similar ones because its gonna induce Star Citizen levels of denialism.

But how do you objectively test your gear without your minimum 100-200 hour burn in period? :jerkbag:

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Stick a fork in that power outlet. Feel that? That's the analog jitter.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
So is Laurel/Yanny gonna be the next audiophile reference pressing?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Of all the audiophile woo woo, burn in might confuse me the most. Like, if a product has peak performance after 200 - 300 hours of pink noise blasted though it, why wouldn't the manufacturer do it at the factory?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Zereth posted:

Not that I really believe the claim, but that adds, you know, 200-300 hours of production time per unit, and now they need to store all these products while doing the burn-in, and so forth. "it would cost us a lot more money to do it" seems like a good reason for the manufacturer to skip that step, even if it actually worked.

I get that, but I think it would be just as easy for any manufacturer to just market it as "burned in with clean power/JO crystals for x hours!" and add extra 0's to the price tag as necessary.

DoesNotCompute posted:

Well...it's sort of a genius way of guaranteeing satisfaction. The kind of person that spend 150 dollars on a fuse is definitely the type to say "it's not quite burned in yet" to a friend that is like "I can't hear poo poo it's not doing anything".

This I buy, just a never ending game of "is it done yet?" until you convince yourself it's money well spent.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
And that it's somehow more efficient than the power traveling in a straight line across the surface of the metal wire.

Somebody touch the poop and make a post about the burn in of their power conditioner.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
They'd probably sound neat in a theater setting where you want omnidirectional environmental sounds, but any reasonably sized room you put those in for music is going to create all sorts of phasing issues. The inner side of each tweeter would literally be pointing at each other and you'd most likely never hear the outer tweeters due to psychoacoustic effects. (Other than whatever phasing bullshit they would introduce as mentioned above.)

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
For ultimate surface contact I just drop my gear in a bath tub filled with RO water. The reverse osmosis helps eliminate jitter. The tub is of course ceramic coated to block any electrical interference.

It's the only way to ensure maximum connection to all surface areas. Sure, the method may be considered wasteful, but the sound stage really opens up in that instant before the whole power grid goes down.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

TheGoonspiracist posted:

I picked up a set of magnapans the other day for a good deal.

It lead me down a deep dark youtube rabbit hole though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXErcOEdTuI

Man, I could even feel the "washed out Sonic" recorded through a GoPro. It really opens up the soundstage on my cell phone speaker. Can't help but think the overall presence would be helped with some cable risers tho.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I prefer to buy 4K UHD discs and add plastic back to them. It gives the warmer experience of a blu-ray, but preserves the fidelity.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Closing the thread now would be foolish. It's only just reached mid burn-in period. You risk losing clarity in the sound stage if you close too soon.

I suggest that we all reassess our cable risers and recharge jo crystals before making any changes to the system.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
The device I'm reading this on is not powered with solid pure silver cable, but I can assure you that the device I'm subsuming this on is powered by pure colloidal silver.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
A lovely pair of PC speakers is the wisest sound system investment. There is literally no difference between FLAC and 64kbps MP3 on a properly blown out set of tweeters.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Let's break that down real quick:

audiophile posted:

I played it louder than usual and was absolutely dumbfounded at the ease... I was hearing.

WTF does that even mean?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Depends really. How empty are your JO crystals?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Finally. An at home solution to smooth my water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Is charging pre-owned JO crystals gay? Asking for a friend.