Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

WanderingKid posted:

You should paint go faster stripes on your cables. Improves velocity factor, but only if you have aerodynamic plugs too.

You just have to make sure to use amagnetic paint, or cosmic rays will be attracted to the cable and end up causing jitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Wendy's is better than McDonald's too but I sure as hell wouldn't brag about the great meal I got at either place.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Pace - Often assoc. with rhythm, a strong sense of timing and beat.
Rhythm - The controlled movement of sounds in time.
Timing - A sense of precision in tempo.
And (ewww)
Musical (or musicality) - A sense of cohesion and subjective "rightness" in the sound.

As a clasically-trained musician and recording engineer I can safely say that no gear could possibly have any effect on the first three. If there's a system so bad out there that it can actually disrupt the tempo of a recording, that poo poo is mad broken, and no $6000 power cable or wooden stereo knobs are going to fix it, either.

And I'm just sitting here holding my head in my hands over that fourth definition. I know we all realise that audiophiles listen to sound and not music, but to see them actually define musicality as "right" sound reproduction...do they even understand that there were real people involved in the production of that recording in the first place? :ughh:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

jonathan posted:

Oh and here is some audiophile bullshit.

Don't let those interconnects touch the ground! It's like dropping your country's flag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFhBmy6XFQ

Hahaha, even the dog knows this is all bullshit.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Confounding Factor posted:

Past the FLAC area into WAV files, you'd have to get a really detailed headphone to even spot the difference, and if some claim to, I'd be more than glad to call them out on their bullshit.

Not trying to be a dick (since you clearly have your head on straight), but there's no difference whatsoever between a FLAC and a WAV. That's what the "L" in FLAC stands for—"lossless". You'd be right to call someone out on claiming to know the difference, because there literally is no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Man, just thinking about all the jitter, scrold, and tinth you must be getting from that setup is painful.