Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Have any of you considered that the Ethernet Cable that the music sitting on your NAS travels through is part of your playback chain? I hadn't... Until Now:

some lunatic posted:

Namely, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me why, in no uncertain terms, they do in fact make a difference in the way my music sounds coming through my hi-fi. In many ways and for many reasons I wished they made no difference at all. I wish they were just some audiophile nonsense that I could plug in, listen to, unplug, and simply shrug at their utter ineffectualness. But that's just not how these things work.

he goes on posted:

These changes are also cumulative. With all Vodka cable in my system, from NAS to switch and from switch to MacBook, there was a greater level of perceived clarity and scale as compared to swapping out just one of the cables. If I were to pick which cable in the chain made the most difference, I'd say the one that ran from the switch to the MacBook.

Go on, have a laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

A/V Cable Haiku:

Got quote from vendor
I'll get it from Monoprice
Saved six hundred bucks

What were you thinking?
no concern for airiness?
Danceability?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sorbus posted:

Saw this in a hifi magazine. What the gently caress.

From their site re: XLR cables:

"The performance this cable will let your system produce will almost certainly border on profound and you’ll hear just how musical your system really is. In our experience we have had to totally rethink the performance of components we have used Tuned ARAY with, but it’s the music that really astounds"

Being a copywriter for one of these sites must be amazing.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

While there's no doubt that I got better objective image quality from the Blu-ray disc, I actually found the streaming content played with the aid of the AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cables to be emotionally more engaging, so much so that it reminded me of the first time I saw Koyaanisqatsi in the mid 80's, an experience full of nothing but awe and wonder. I know that doesn't make sense because all streaming media, even your cable TV, uses lossy compression (sort of like iTunes Plus versus Apple Lossless) and, as I said, the sharpness and color saturation from the Blu-ray disc were clearly superior; however there was no doubt that with those AQ Diamond Ethernet cables in there, I got something out of watching Koyaanisqatsi that I'd only seen in all-analog before; and that stunned me.

For what it's worth, I also saw an increase in the image quality and overall watchability of Netflix and Hulu Plus content and even though I was still comparatively disappointed by Amazon Prime TV, it got much better than it had been with the Forests which in turns were light years ahead of my blue Belkin CAT5e patch cables (no offense to Belkin intended).

Review is 100% Gold

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue77/audioquest_diamond.htm

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Caddrel posted:

I don't have a tv, and play music exclusively from my computer. Right now I have some old speakers and their sub-woofer is basically a receiver, but it's all really old and I want to replace it.

I'm willing to pay about $500, is there something I can get that works fine as computer speakers, but also fills up the room better if I am just listening to music?

This is ~$400, though unless you like lots of bass, the sub is probably optional. I don't run one with those speakers and they go deeper than you'd expect for the size of the driver. I'd start without it and then see if you need it. If your current sub has line-level inputs, you could also just keep using it and not attach the satellites. The lepai inputs are in parallel, so you can just attach the sub to the one you're not using as an input.

DAC: http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Amp: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/
Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/
Sub: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-8MK2-Designed-100-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008NCD2PC/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Caddrel posted:

Cool, thanks. I'll need to get rid of the sub, it's so old that some of the buttons are broken, but I can try with just the speakers.

How far apart do you place them from each other? I'm guessing that's also important.

They're not designed as near field speakers but that being said I have mine on the ends of a desk maybe 6 feet apart, so 4ish feet from my ears, and I'm very happy with the sound.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Caddrel posted:

One last question. Is there an advantage to the Modi 2 over the Modi? The Modi is $30 cheaper. The only difference I can see is that Modi 2 support 24/192 sampling rates whereas I think Modi 1 only does 24/96. I don't even know what that means, but if I should just get the 2 then I will.

I didn't see that you could still get the original on closeout, yeah just do that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Less PC chat, more lamenting the closing of the Reference Audio Mods store, home of the $400 wooden volume knob

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

Gonna need a link to this.

https://archive.is/SPfKz

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

I bought all of those except the sub, and they are sounding great. Thanks a lot for the recommendations.

How would I connect a subwoofer that the amp, given that it has only left and right outs? I've read you can connect the subwoofer in parallel with one of the speakers, but it seems like that would change the impedance and the amp might not be able to handle it.

My subwoofer is also powered and probably has an amp inside it, since originally it was a mini-receiver for a 5.1 setup. Does that mean I should connect it to the DAC rather than the amp?

You should just be able to use whatever input you didn't use on that little amp and connect that to the primary input of the system that the sub was a part of, be it on the sub or a box attached to it. Because you have no speakers attached to that system anymore, all you should get is the noises that would have come out of the sub. I did this for years with a Logitech z something 5.1 sub.

The two inputs are in parallel on the lepai so they are both effectively in/out, it would be the same as using a Y splitter off the DAC, but you don't need the Y splitter. Because both connected things, the lepai, and your sub, are powered, you don't really have to worry about impedance matching-- the loads are so tiny because they're inputs to amplifiers.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
As audiophile :psyduck: goes, not all that expensive but :psyduck: just the same

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/15/japan-audiophiles-install-own-electricity-poles/

WSJ via Engadget posted:

When Takeo Morita worried that "tainted" power would affect the quality of his tunes, he installed a roughly $10,000 utility pole with his own transformer to get more electricity straight from the grid.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have a pair of the Jones BS22 pioneer speakers and they sound fine. Certainly better than any other $120 pair I've heard and better than a sound bar of the same price.

Suits my needs.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Creative has released a 5,799 soundbar/STB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3j_ryLL9HY

5,799!!!!!

https://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

you may be in the wrong thread

:thunk:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Maybe the dude just wanted to invent something to destroy vinyl records. I can appreciate that.

he wanted to get rich quick by adding bluetooth to a toy from the 70s to cash in on nostalga and vinyl and it worked.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My gut tells me they built it in response to customer demand.

Feels very much like a dealer prop that customers wanted to own so they offer it at a price that they don’t have to make a lot of them

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

ItBreathes posted:

The whole site is gold but ground conditioners might be a new low.

I'm the "cupper" spade terminal

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Are you suggesting over several hundred ms of latency???

Gotta age those bits in the unfiltered sunlight of space so the right parts mellow for that perfect warm sound

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I can't stop laughing, Klipsch boomered the ProMedias

going to sell so many

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
the forefront of bubble-based technology

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Once you have 6" drivers in there I think it stops being a soundbar and it's more a long speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just swapped an aging VFD on a 15 year old squeezebox boom to make it like new again, a device abandoned by its maker but still very functional because the architecture is open. It's possible to make a high quality endpoint that would be useless without a service or server and still ensure it can have a useful life after it's no longer profitable to sell or maintain. More companies should do that.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 8, 2023