Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

There was a reviewer who blasted it for its lack of "air" - digitization aside, the laser turntable eliminates surface noise due to the lack of physical interaction. He hypothesized that the lack of high frequency detail (probably the lack of surface noise) was due to the limitations of the optics' resolution. While that might have some bearing on the laser turntable, he further extended this hypothesis as a possible reason why CDs lack high frequency air and detail...because the laser simply could not pick up the fine details in the pits of the disc. :ughh:

Do you have a link to that review? It sounds hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So I just read an album review and the reviewer used a bunch of audiophile-like terms to describe the music, such as "lush/lushness", "detailed", "soundscape", "palette", "scenery", "bright, "piercing midrange" and "brittleness". This got me to wondering, is it valid to use such terms to describe actual music as opposed to describing the noise produced by a bazillion dollar "audiophile" sound system?

Also, here's a still from the classic 90s TV show Rocko's Modern Life where I'm pretty sure they're taking the piss out of audiophiles:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Oh hey, it's Mike Lavigne's barn. I actually met him at RMAF two years ago. Really nice guy. He manages a Honda dealership.

It would take some digging to find them again, but I know I've seen measurements of his room, and at the time it measured extremely well. Looking at the current photos, it looks like he's made a number of changes. The room used to have a lot more fabric, which appears to have been replaced with more wood.

There was a lot of interesting discussion on AVSForum when he had the room constructed. He felt like the room basically required extremely large speakers. A good number of people felt that this indicated that the room was "bad." There has also been a lot of criticism of the room designer, Rives Audio, which apparently has a reputation for using a "one-size fits all" approach to room acoustics.

There's actually a more detailed article on the rooms build and whatnot linked at the bottom of the page toplitzin posted: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh wow, it's like he's deliberately hitting every single audiophile cliché.

Working in the industry (yeah right), his wife exclaiming that he must have gotten a new turntable because the music sounds so much better (totally shitthatdidnthappen), dismissing double-blind tests, claiming that high-end speaker cables and interconnects are only for true high-end systems and that the plebes with the low-fi or mid-fi wouldn't even be able to appreciate a REAL hi-fi system anyway.

And of course heavily promoting a product that makes no difference at all to the sound quality.

It's the perfect storm.

Don't forget the stupid audiophile buzzwords:

quote:

"coherent/visceral soundstage"
"bloated bass"
"soundstaging"
"imaging"
"musical dynamics"
"ambient vitality"
"sonic differences"
"full sonic potential"
"glare in the dynamics"

The best bit though was the following from his second comment/essay (Which you mentioned):

quote:

if you can hear a difference, then there is a difference and blind tests will bear that out. If you cannot hear any difference, then there is no point in blind testing. Claiming "placebo effect" and such, though certainly having some degree of validity in many scenarios, is often used just as a tool for skeptics and naysayers to perpetuate their arguments.

That is basically audiophile reasoning summed up in two sentences.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

Well it helps my argument :v:

The piece you quoted was heavily biased towards some "digital data transfer is some voodoo poo poo, man" so I posted to show that, no it really isn't since cable manufactured ~30years ago with no consideration for any of the "severe" issues they discussed can achieve remarkably similar (and in some cases better) results.

HDMI transfer has it's challenges, but none of them are related to the same nonsense pseudo-physics arguments audiophiles drag out to justify their $5k cables.

Tony Abbott, is that you?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I just had a thought: has someone gone so far as to create an "Audiophile-OS"? I took to Google and found the following:

JaguarAudioDesign.com RealTime Audio Operating System

quote:

This operating system uses a realtime kernel. The goal of realtime is to give audio processes priority, to prevent interruption by non-audio processes (those that aren’t system critical). In studio production environments these interruptions can result in latency, which is a problem for recording. We’re not concerned with latency, but we can do without audio processes being interrupted. The theory is that these interruptions could disrupt the precision of the clock timing and result in jitter. Of course there are other factors that affect your sound quality, particularly your player’s driver. However, there’s no question realtime operation is different; a little Nu-Force headphone amp requires a latency setting of 17.4ns to remain stable with a generic kernel and can go as low as 8.6ns with the realtime kernel.

Sounds like bullshit, can someone confirm?

Edit: just had a look around that site and the guy seems a lot saner than most audiophiles. He talks about room correction and even settles the WAV/AIFF vs. FLAC debate.
Edit2: I spoke too soon: Nanotec Speaker Cables…Brilliant Sound at a Bargain Price.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 1, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Soundcards/-chips have a hardware buffer they're playing from, that needs to be filled. Timing matters jack poo poo, since it's way larger than a few samples. The only thing that can happen are buffer underruns, which results in short bursts of silence or garbage data (depending on the card). Nothing in the OS will affect jitter and whatever the gently caress fancy words they use.

Yeah that's what I thought. You'd have to be running on some pretty lovely hardware to encounter buffer under-runs.

Edit: or have your settings seriously misconfigured.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

WanderingKid posted:

You don't need lovely hardware, although you can get drop outs because your PC is very old and you are running very expensive signal processing, or your soundcard has lovely drivers or misconfigured ASIO or DMA buffer settings at high cpu loads.

High cpu loads could be a result of so many things - badly designed signal processors/generators, inefficient/expensive processes (like real time convolution), stupid oversampling. Those are all on the software design level. I don't design software, just use it as a tool to make sounds.

On the user side, your music projects and workflow could just be inefficient, i.e. bad channel routing and use of send buses resulting in lots of duplication of CPU destroying plugins.

Nevertheless, you will notice when you are dropping buffers. You get loud clicking noises or very short bursts of noise (that sound like clicks), sound drop outs, "stuttering". The most common solution is to increase the buffer size until you no longer get dropouts. Eventually it will result in a big enough delay between key press and sound, that you can't play a keyboard in time.

If you want to look into the mechanics of it, you need to go deep into Windows internals and how interrupt handling and direct memory access work.

Its a different mechanism to jitter which (I think) is a time domain quantization error. I don't build AD/DA converters so I don't really know what it is, because its an engineering thing.

I sort of know what a quantization error is because some of the tools I use let you do things like truncation (discarding bits) and decimation (discarding samples). If you discard enough bits the sound just collapses into noise but its a distinctive sort of noise. It isn't random.

For the kind of bit depths that commercial software and industry standards operates at, things like dither and quantization error just define noise floor.

Under specific and typically unnatural listening conditions you may be able to hear it. For example, listening to a fade out of a pure (audio frequency) sine wave at ungodly listening levels in a room with perfectly controlled acoustics. Ehhh, I dunno. The only reason I even encountered this poo poo is because of the prevalence of home mastering software. All of that stuff is still in engineering territory.

I dabbled with mastering my own songs for a bit but the conclusion I arrived at was this: don't try that poo poo at home. Pay a mastering engineer to do it for you or train to be a mastering engineer. Apart from the lack of technical expertise, you don't think of your own work the same way other people do, because you know how the auditory illusion is constructed.

WanderingKid, next-gen audi0phil3.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cross-posting this, a review of the "HB Cable Design PowerSlave Marble Power Distributor" (Yes that's marble as in the mineral): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOwqyWdsWrE

The stupidity starts at around 2:20.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This bit basically sums up the insane level of ignorance involved: http://youtu.be/dOwqyWdsWrE?t=7m4s

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ethanfr0me posted:

Is the high end audio industry growing with rampant increases in wealth inequality or was it hit hard by the recession? I have a friend who is interviewing with a botique gear distributor and I can't decide whether to tell him its a silly industry or to take those suckers all the way to the bank.

I thought the growth of the audiophile market was based solely on stubborn ignorant idiots?

Edit: said industry, meant market.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

But you're forgetting that you can't determine the patented cryo-freezing technology used to condition the cables by simply taking them apart.

90% bong-hose, 10% reclaimed copper from vacant office blocks.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It's mimicking vintage gear, try to invoke the imagined good ol' days when floral script = classy.

My dad had that Marantz tuner, although I can never remember it with the lights working. It has a big elastic-band inside connecting the tuner knob to a pot which was amusing when I first cracked it open. Also had an older Marantz with fake wood-grain and all. Used that one for many years as an amp because I had nothing better, was good poo poo.

I just bought a $10 pair of TDK ear-buds from Woolworths today because I need earphones and don't care. Sounds good man.

Edit: just looked it up, was a Marantz 2225 which is apparently worth $500 now. I think my old man junked it oh dear.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 12, 2015

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Is that a loving thing still?

Yeah, in Australia it is. As a simpleton I often grab a sandwich from there for lunch.

BANME.sh posted:

Not quite. Maybe if it was brand new in box from the 70s, but $500 is way overpriced for a 2225.

I was just going off Ebay prices from a quick Google search. The one I had was pretty beat-up and from what I remember barely working so probably wouldn't have gotten >$150.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Not to derail too far from audiophile chat but I've always loved Lian-Li cases. They cost a bit more than over manufacturers but the quality is great. I built a HTPC for my dad using one of their multi-media chassis and it fits in perfectly underneath his receiver and amp:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

If you are trying to say its off topic, read the post above it.
it was in response to a post about htpc's. That is the intended function of the quote feature, yes?

Its cringe worthy for some of the same reasons as much of the of snake oil cables and sound rocks. Purely aesthetic design choices with often negative influences on the actual functions.

It costs $350 when a high performance and visually high quality option can be had for $70

lol try harder next time.

Qwijib0 posted:

Less PC chat, more lamenting the closing of the Reference Audio Mods store, home of the $400 wooden volume knob

Gonna need a link to this.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Maybe he was zipping them then comparing? It was on the squeezebox forums IIRC.

This is the most likely answer. I know that gzip stores metadata in the header of the compressed file so identical files with different file-names will have different checksums when gzipped.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

The "bits aren't bits" people are the most beyond help of the lot.

I figured explaining how bit-perfect transmissions can be guaranteed over 3000 miles of various cables into and out of copper road boxes, under oceans and across plains, would in some way convince people an ethernet cable can be considered a trusted vector, but lol.

Michael Lavorgna of audiostream is a relatively high-profile audiophool who completely buys into the the ethernet cable myths
http://www.audiostream.com/

Reading his poo poo makes my head hurt and I had to stop.
On a review of ethernet cables he would claim "immediate night and day" differences in swapping them, but then claimed double-blind tests are impossible for reasons.

Jesus that guy is the king of nonsense audiphile rhetoric. From his review of some $20k power conditioners and cables:

quote:

The background silence was deep allowing fine detail and high end transients to emerge with outstanding clarity and definition. In fact, the reproduction of high end detail and transients were the best I have yet heard from any power conditioner. Many of the power conditioners I have listened to tend to smooth the end robbing it of its ultimate resolution. This effect might be pleasant to some listeners, but I consider it subtractive in nature.

The HYDRA TRITON v2 reproduces voices and music in the most natural and relaxed manner I have yet experienced. This power conditioner strips away noise that adds a false and unnatural brightness to the music. Some might conclude that this brightness is better definition, but it does not sound like real music or voices. Once one experiences music with the TRITON v2, it is difficult to go back to the sound of noise superimposed on the music. I also experienced a more lifelike sense of instrumental body and weight with the TRITON v2.

I was delighted with the soundstage qualities that were improved using the TRITON v2. Soundstage width extended well beyond the lateral margins of the speakers. The more difficult to reproduce depth is also enhanced with this power conditioner. Probably it would be more accurate to say that there is not enhancement, but reproduction of what is actually in the recording. The spatial resolution of well recorded music is truly world-class with the TRITON v2. The soundstage appears to be richly layered with immediacy and palpability.

Bass reproduction though the TRITON v2 was not only well defined, but had wonderful weight and slam. The dynamic qualities of the music were reproduced with a terrific visceral grip on the bass.

The deep-black ultra-quiet background of the TRITON v2 allowed superior resolution of low level information. Instrumental textures were clearly evident with a harmonic richness that I have not heard with other power conditioners.

lol at someone "listening" to a power conditioner.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

At work we've been discussing some kind of solution to let people check whether a meeting room is already booked. If you're on a PC, it's not problem, you can just look it up in Outlook, but it's a bit of a hassle if your laptop is on standby or you didn't bring it.

A couple of people suggested cheap tablets (or iPads :lol:) at each meeting room, running a simplified calendar app that would also allow you to reserve the meeting room on the spot. But we have a couple hundred meeting rooms over a handful of locations, so even using the cheapest available tablets at ~$30 each, that would still be a sizable investment, not to mention development time for the app+integration+testing.

So now we're looking at QR code stickers that would link directly to a calendar web page (possibly even directly to Outlook Office 365 web access), with the same options to check bookings and reserve rooms.

QR codes have their place, if you don't get all Web 2.0 about them.

Still doesn't resolve the major issue of people booking a meeting room for an inordinate amount of time but then changing their minds and not deleting the booking. This is 1000x times worse with VMRs.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The IEEE standards for Ethernet have mandated electrical isolation since 1990 and you'd be hard pressed to find a device that didn't conform.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

How anyone can look at this:

And see $90k worth of materials is insane.

But hey, audiophiles...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Those idiots are just re-hashing content from Techmoan's latest video which was about MQS SD and posted 2 days prior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbGDPFVjvVU

Of course Mr. Techmoan treats it as exactly what it is, a curious novelty and nothing else.

Edit: he even mentioned the Beatles limited edition USB drive release as shown in the above post!

Edit2: just noticed that the original video was linked in that garbage blog post but whoever made the post obviously didn't watch it!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 19, 2016

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

JFairfax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7e5R96fwU

this ain't on spotify and you can prise it from my cold dead hands

Keep it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

TomR posted:

All LED indicator lights should be replaced with VU meter style needles with tasteful warm white back lighting. Even the ones that just let you know it's on. With a tasteful little startup dance too.

Techmoan guy is that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkCIdufSGS8

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol if you don't also have a $350k scope to debug those cables

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zemyla posted:

I use $1 earbuds. The cord wears out in about a month, maybe two, but it was $1.

:same:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

That's not an audiophile that's just a regular dingus.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Has this thread become Groverstereo?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've got one of those, good stuff.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Hows the timbre and jutter?

First one, then the other, but on a massive soundstage of infinite depth, perfected tonality, scalding warmth, perceptive acoustics, gritty harmonics and exemplary fecundity.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

A friend of a friend recently posted on FB that they've bought a Plinius 8150 amplifier. Not being familiar with that I Googled it and first thing I found was a $3,395 price tag. Then I found this article: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-plinius-8150-integrated-amplifier-2016-07-12-integrateds-94107-san-francisco-ca

quote:

There's an inevitable sense of rightness to the sound of the 8150. It is truly an amplifier that has it all. Tonal purity, harmonics, detail and dynamics were all there.

The Plinius has a tremendous sense of solidity to its sound. A strong and vibrant midrange and bass contribute to this solidity. Many amplifiers sound slightly undernourished (this is more a midrange phenomena than bass) whereas the Plinius replicates the robust nature of live sound.

I've always been a bit of a bass freak -- not in terms of wanting lots of bass or deep bass, but wanting the clarity of bass instruments that I hear in concerts but very rarely with recorded sound. The bass response of the Plinius is phenomenal, with a delicious combination of power, heft, dynamics and articulation.

I'm not sure if I have the heart to tell him that he's purchased a pile of trash. Also when I asked about price in comments he dodged the question because I think he's trying to hide that from his missus.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

The Plinius amps are amazingly nice, well-built amplifiers, and you're just butthurt you can't afford one.

(I do agree they're overpriced though)

Nice brand tribalism buddy.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Semi-crosspost, magic subscription headphones from https://www.nuraphone.com/:

From the How it works page (Edited partially for brevity):

quote:

The nuraphone plays a range of tones into the ear, and then measures a very faint sound that your ear generates in response to these tones called the Otoacoustic Emission (OAE).

Encoded in the returning sound wave is information about how well you heard the sound that went in. The nuraphone uses an extremely sensitive microphone to detect this returning sound wave, and a self learning engine built into the nuraphone to create your profile.

Once the nuraphone has created your hearing profile it sonically shapes your music so that it matches your hearing system and delivers all the detail of the music you love.

From what I've read otoacoustic emission is a real thing however I'm highly skeptical that they're actually measuring it or doing anything ground breaking with it (And if they are it's still not worth a fuckin subscription lol).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Huh, I assumed they used some sort of hearing test app on your phone in order to gauge what the EQ for your own ears should be and then apply it to everything. This is actually really clever... I'm interested in trying some but they're dumb expensive and honestly, gently caress subscription based life.

I'm certain their "tuning" is nothing more than picking from a handful of EQ presets. Also making you wear a microphone has the handy advantage of being able to record everything you hear which I'm sure they'd never abuse...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

I’ll tell you next week. I tried a buddy’s pair who hasn’t loving shut up about how incredible they are, and have my suspicions. For the sake of :10bux: I’ve ordered a set to test.

That means subjective testing, and measurements where possible.

The subscription is ridiculous but really it’s a paid for trial period, there’s no fixed contract so they’re making the value proposition vs the cost to buy tip you toward an outright purchase. They clearly refurbish and sell the rented cans as new too.

Being paranoid about a mic (array of) on your headphones is stupid though, you likely have plenty other mics everywhere that are more concerning.

Nice! Looking forward to the results.

Edit: also true regarding the mics lol

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 18, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It's completely indistinguishable from parody.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jascum posted:

Are there stoner audiophiles that believe different strains make music sound better or worse?

Maxing weed high is very close to audiophile garbage imo. The only difference is that with the former it's just your mate telling you some technique he heard from a cousin's buddy whilst the latter is someone telling you that audio nirvana is attainable for the low price of $350k.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I guess I've been out of the loop, can someone give me the quick-and-dirty on MQA? A glance at Wiki says that it's a lossy format so why the heck would audiophiles love it?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Audiophiles really are just olden-day rubes willing to pay whatever amount to the snake-audio salesman who rolls into town promising enhanced fidelity and depth with the latest codec+DAC combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

I think MQA also is doing a thing where they get the original artist / engineer to do a new mix so they can claim it matches their original intent, not effected by studio meadling or whatever, though ultimately you can only get a lossy version of this mix because MQA.

That's the whole fingerprinting thing, right? Are there any details on how they expect to do that in a manner in which it can actually operate as anything other than a rubbish metadata attribute?