Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Wasabi the J posted:

I know it's audiophilia, and thus, loving insane, but I laughed out loud at this part because this is the exact opposite thing you want to do to avoid the "skin effect".

I'm thinking now I need to make a smear campaign on this guy, and start reselling copper audiophile tubing as wiring. Gon' be rich.

Not to mention that "skin effect" is only measurable in the multi-GHz range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

causing highs to become veiled. :colbert:

gently caress that. I can deal with slightly muddied highs as long as it broadens the soundstage as well, but no way will I deal with veiled highs. I'd rather deal with reduced warmth in the bass than veiled highs.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Wanna job at my cable company?

Sure. I've got some designs that will truly eliminate skin effect while dampening the internal inertia created by the EMR resulting from the bass notes attenuating through the core.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Single conductor for signal and shielding. All that's really needed for digital (digital has 3 states: Full signal, garbage signal, no signal).

The fluffed up insulators is loving hilarious, and with single-strand conductors, these things will be so loving delicate you'd better buy 10 sets because you'll break them if you breathe on your equipment the wrong way.

These guys are brilliant.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

No, this is when you gently caress with him and pull out some poo poo like "Man, I dunno, there's something really muddying the highs after you did that", bonus points for pointing out reduced clarity in the strings if it's a classical piece. Extra bonus points if you can pull off something about the strings when no strings are present in the music and he still buys it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Blistex posted:

Any science wizards care to explain if there is any difference between a brand new cable that has never been used, a cable that has had 1 second of sound played through it, and a cable with 300 hours of sound played through it. Is there some manner of subtle change to it at the molecular, atomic, or even sub-atomic level? Any at all?

Only if you're an audiophile. If anything, a conductor would degrade infinitesimally over time due to normal aging and such.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Patch posted:

Not to defend Monster or their prices, but those labels are just for convenience. If you want to unplug a specific component for some reason, you just look at the label rather than tracing the cords back to the equipment to see which cable goes to what.

I'm sensing a market here, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

It's all subjective, so most of it.

A good rule of thumb for wine (and this will be my last post on the matter since this isn't winechat):

If it tastes good to you and you can afford it, cool.

This also works for just about any other subjective medium.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

:shrug: It's hard to make coat hangers interface with RCA jacks correctly. (Also, I'm turning 35 next week and I don't think I've ever seen a wire coathanger in my entire life. They're all plastic or wood around here. It would probably cost me more than a € to find and buy one.)

Dry cleaners still return your clothes on wire hangers. They're dirt cheap and stack well so there really hasn't been a need for that industry to change.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

longview posted:

I used this calculator to work out the power loss of a 1 GHz signal in air
1598225 dB/m

Even better:
Assuming a throw of .1mm, the diaphragm would be accelerating from 0 to 223,694mph to 0 every cycle, or around 293 times the speed of sound.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Khablam posted:

My comment on that article, which I entitled "It's Digital Data. Read a book"

... posted since they will likely take it down :v:

You and your silly science. Guarantee, if it doesn't just get taken down, you'll get responses about how even digital signals travel in the wire as analog pulses and therefore can be attenuated in subtle ways completely ignoring the whole retransmission part.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Kind of related:

ANTI-OXIDANT ELECTRICAL NUTRITION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLOx1kWCWoc

I'm sure we could sell a grounding pad to audiophiles though.

Wow, this guy is a complete and utter loving pseudo-intellectual-wannabe moron.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

If you ask me, it's all a load of wank.

The audiophile community is easily one of the biggest circle jerks on the planet.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

88h88 posted:

I was under the impression that twisted pair cabling was used to get rid of the kinda poo poo that audiophiles are always banging on about that wrecks their soundstages and such...

The ad says it's twisted pair and then talks about how they're not twisted pair in the next breath.

Bravo to them if they manage to sell some.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

In a twist of irony they probably write it off as hocus pocus.

Probably unironically using the word 'pseudoscience'.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Network Jacks? Pfft. I use RFC1149 for airier highs and more dynamic drops.

I knew this was going to be pigeon protocol before I even clicked. Love it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Remember when Audiophiles used to argue about what was the best quality CD-Rs?

"and wide sparkle"

Seriously. What in the actual gently caress?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Late '90s French Ska or nothing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

KillHour posted:

Pigs are flying - I found an honest to god audible problem caused by my speaker cables. Specifically the banana plugs.

A specific frequency was causing one of the plugs to vibrate in its binding post, causing audible crackling as the connection was made and broken. :haw:

Obviously because you spent less than $10k on the cables, scrub.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is that each or per foot?

Truer 'philes measure in inches.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Palladium posted:

You see, bits of audio are fundamentally different from bits of other data.

I wonder how will audiophiles react when all their precious music and software player are stealth processed out-of-order in the CPU?

And now I'm going to start buying up all the IBM Power6 gear I can get my hands on and resell it at ridiculous markups.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So, I can pick up a used IBM p6 520 (smallest chassis they shipped at 4U) for ~$1,200. I wonder how much I could resell it for as a music server running RHEL 6 and touting the in-order execution of the CPU as a selling point.

I'm thinking $40-50 grand with $200/month remote support and "tuning".

Edit: Even better, I can mount it on an IKEA Lack table for an extra $1,000.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 13, 2015

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

For $200 you'd think they could get a better finish on the wood.

If you polish the wood too much it reduces the effectiveness of the device.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is that all copper, or just the mesh around it bunched up with some sort of crap?

Based on the fact that there are some hanging farther in the background and there are no extraordinary measures to keep things from falling over, I'm guessing the cables are standard 10ga copper wrapped in fiberfill enclosed in large-diameter ptfe hose wrapped in mesh.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Everyone already knows the proper volume level:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm having "Buffer Underrun" PTSD flashbacks from this vein of the conversation. A wonderful error when it meant $3 in the garbage every time it showed up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

UV

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Something something, the abyss stares also into you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I have a generic Onkyo receiver with 2 4" Kicker car speakers mounted in 3d printed spherical enclosures for my computer. Super pro.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Well, that WAS a gorgeous piece of wood.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Walnut is an interesting beast. I happen to really like it.

I do, however agree that the acoustics are probably inconsistent at best because of the way it grows, but I think the aesthetics would be lovely if the customer wasn't a complete fuckwit.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So what should I do with this Ponyo thing? I tried giving it to my half-alien friend, but he likes his Zune.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

IIRC green was supposed to be the best color.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Gromit posted:

I did a course many years ago on data recovery for optical media. The guy there said that some marker pens were made with chemicals that could eat the label and so your CD-RW could be killed, and recommended pens made specifically for CDs. This means nothing for pressed CDs, and also has nothing to do with making the disc read better. Purely a chemical reaction - maybe the bad inks are mildly acidic (I don't remember if that was clarified, but I have certainly found older RWs where the writing on them has become a hollow outline.)

The surface of a writable CD is a thin metal foil with photoreactive chemicals between it and the polycarbonate disc. It would stand to reason that certain chemicals would be able to eat through that and damage the recordable surface. Though I find it interesting that the foil is that much different than a pressed CD, but it's been a long time since I've looked into anything to do with recordable media.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Too much like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I explain digital transmission as being in one of 3 states:

1. Full signal
2. Garbage signal
3. No signal

The level of cable that provides #1 is far lower than people making/selling cables want people to know. And anything other than #1 is unacceptable, so the idea of using a cable that doesn't provide #1 is stupid.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

Fresh or cryo-dried?

Yes

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

qirex posted:

runner up is this, a bargain at one thousand eight hundred of your earth dollars

TBH, that's a pretty cool way to do a clock, and gives me some ideas.

But yeah, with an arduino and a couple of repurposed VU meters, it could be done for a few (not thousand) bucks.

Oh, wait.

That's probably what's inside there, anyway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

This thread makes me wish I had tried to snag one of the 480v 3phase cables that powered our p795 when we decommissioned it. Rated for 110amps at 480. Probably about 10lb/foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of the measurements they use are things that are way outside the realm of audible sound, but they don't let that stop them from saying things like "capacitance at 2.385GHz was reduced dramatically when we did X", and then claiming it had a huge effect on "soundstage", and "deep blacks", and "instrumental differentiation".