Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

TheMadMilkman posted:

I won't lie. I love cable risers. Pointless? Sure. But I love the way they look.

By the time you've reached cables that work with risers at all, you're a lost case anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Sagacity posted:

Numbers don't mean much in this context. If you read the study, you'll find it is simply more relaxing and airy than normal studies.

When numbers are cut off too quickly, some primitive mechanism is tripped in our minds. No wonder bad studies are so horribly exhausting to read. After I read one of those, I usually have to go and take a nap.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I did the poor mans version with toiletaudio paper and rubberbandsaudio stretchers. +++ would tweak again.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I got gold-plated connectors simply because the price difference is negligible, they're pretty if you have to look at them and the plating signifies to me that manufacturer took at least some trouble in making them. I can't believe anyone would seriously argue that adding more stuff on the signal path makes things sound better: bare wire has the "most direct" argument going for it at least. Even then the voices in your head probably cover any and all sound improvements you may gain by buying 10 grand banana plugs.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Would you like a pair of $75 speakers and a bunch of wood sticks for $1500?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/dakiom-modified-sony-ss-b3000-is-the-most-musical-pair

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I don't trust the mass produced consoles to improve the sound, really. Instead I use Clever Little Clock (signature version) to improve playback. I find the brand of batteries makes a difference and store bought doesn't cut it. Fortunately the manufacturer takes care of this by providing Energizer brand Ultimate Lithium batteries; expected lifetime at least 10 years.

Of course all that audio goodness would be worthless without treating the room with Blue and Green Meanies first. I tried going the cheap route and gluing little pieces of blue felt cloth on the walls. It didn't open up the acoustics the way I hoped for, so I had to order enough of these to cover my walls and ceilings. As one of the reviewers says: "Marked improvement to my already tweaked up system."

Currently I'm waffling between Teleport Tweak and The Super Intelligent Chip. Both seem revolutionary technologies, and as everyone knows CD recordings are superior to digital audio. Treating the discs with quantum waves should improve the soundstage and reduce jitter considerably. But on the other hand Teleport Tweak works regardless of range since it's so convenient. Just call their number and let the clicking work their magic on your system (it doesn't need to be on when you call). As an added bonus they promise better color definition in your TV.

I must admit the tweaks provided are really top notch. Everyone sells audiophile grade AC cords these days; not everyone provides acoustical treatment of rooms by frog jump in water, or suggests you could tweak your psyche without medication. I haven't been this impressed since the guy who wall-papered his house with audiophile grade audio paper.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Anecdotal evidence: a customer of mine had all APC in their offices. Not a bad word to say about them, they worked exactly as they were supposed to.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

I only have a left and right ear how can I correct this :confused:

You close your two ears to the outside world and open your hidden ear to the inside.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is there some way I could pay someone 5000 USD to open my hidden ear for me? I don't trust myself to do it.

Try the crazy secret audiophile industry doesn't want you to know about :

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ymisc&1369193676

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

A block of milled plexiglass filled with ball bearings? What's the pseudoscientific rationale behind this poo poo?

You want turntables to resonate as little as possible; lead weights in a acrylic box with soft feet help by creating a stable, heavy platform on which you can place the record player. So of course the same idea works for a Mac Mini.

As a beautiful little detail, the platform has spikes because you're naturally going to place it on a carpet and not on some hard surface such as shelf or table.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 9, 2014

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Does anyone have some more good bass song recommendations?

Béla Fleck and the Flecktones has a lot of good stuff. Try Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.

From classical side of things I prefer Pomp and Circumstance. I suppose most would listen to 1812 Overture instead, especially the beginning of finale. You should be able to hear a low, quiet drumming underneath other instruments. I would love to use Finlandia Op. 26 as my test tone, but every time I try I end up listening to the whole piece.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Name it "Marc Vincent high fidelity ear maintenance kit". Sell it from the back of a white van.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

I have a golden rear end

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

I had a thought while browsing the Hydrogenaudio forums and one of their boring debates about tube amps: what's the loving point of this hobby anymore?

I always thought it was about listening to music, but this thread has proved me wrong on multiple occasions.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying these people are insane, I'm just saying that when I start to place audio crystals on my stuff in an effort to make it sound better you should do the humane thing and put me down.

I can't even start to comprehend what sort of person would tape a bag of rocks onto his cables and start listening to differences in sound. The act alone is lunacy, much less the belief that yes, it really does sound much better now.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Yes, but it's very important to hear all the details in your system. That's why you need the best cable available.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to upgrade my B&W 683 to 804D S2. Someone convince me this is stupid and the money is better used elsewhere.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This is some sort of reverse audiophile phoolery. The chip itself is very good and price is reasonable, but who thought it a good idea to label the connectors with Comic Sans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-Ta...hAAAOSwA3dYbKZY

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

RobotDogPolice posted:

What's considered "reasonable person quality"?

The most important is working out your own usage profile first. Do you actually sit down and listen to music or do you keep the radio on to keep you company? Do you watch movies with surround audio more than other uses combined?

As a generalist solution I'd send the person asking to a hi-fi shop. I'm partial to B&W, so a pair of 685/683/CM6/CM9 speakers with a Denon receiver would be decent enough starting point for me. Add a center channel or subwoofer next. Chromecast, turntable and phono amp, other stuff like that as needed. Maybe a good pair of headphones.

Then again, my mom has a Denon entry level amp with a pair of Argon speakers bought for €40. She keeps it on FM radio to keep her company during the day. Sounds good enough for that purpose. One size doesn't fit all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there ever a reason to use tubes other than for audiophoolery or "it looks cool"?

Fixing (or at least fiddling with) old poo poo is fun. Building retro poo poo is also fun.