Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Confounding Factor posted:

I have a question for you guys. If a headphone say has a frequency range from x to y, does that really matter versus what the human ear can actually hear at certain frequencies? It sounds highly suspicious when headphones boast about stuff like that.

Not really, no. All that says is that it can produce sounds at that frequency, but not whether someone can actually hear it or not.

For that, it really depends on factors like age, hearing loss, etc. If you're over 25, you're probably not going to hear anything above 17kHz, so take that as you will.

Additionally, the power it takes for you to hear certain frequencies is wildly different.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I don't know, that sounds pretty in line with the rest of the thread.

Edit: wait, i hope "vinyl vs digital" isn't opening pandora's can of worms around here. :ohdear:

Vinyl sucks, argument over.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

slothzilla posted:

I think the audiophile phenomena has very little to do with logic and most everything to do with emotion.

There is a lot of good research about the power of confirmation bias (people trust things they already believe to be true and disregard opposing views), so rational argumentation will never be received well. Especially when people get together and reinforce their stupid ideas.

Combined that with studies that show people enjoy things more simply because they are more expensive (when people taste test wine, if researchers tell them that one sample is more expensive --even if they are actually the same wine-- people will report that it tastes better).

And no one likes to be wrong, especially when being wrong would mean that they have wasted a shitload of money.

I'm trying to think of some kind of interference that I could market with pseudoscience that I could sell to audiophiles. Seems like a great opportunity to take money from old rich assholes.

Maybe long waves from geothermal activity? Solar flares?

I'd be willing to bet an amp with a solar battery and low power opamp chips could be marketed as the "best of both worlds" with high, sustainable performance driven by the cleanest possible power source, the sun! Think your music was warm before? Try driving your cans with power from a thing with a surface temp of 5778 degrees Kelvin!

Ugh.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Then again, how much start-up money will a company selling electrical cord inside garden hose need?

As much as you possibly could wring from crowdfunding.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Ah ok this was the wrong thread...

It was the exact right thread.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

"I need some in ear monitors. But where to ask? Headphone thread? Couldn't be. Small questions? Nah. Ridicule audiophiles, yeah, that sounds about right."

To be fair, there's a bit of audiophoolery in there, which is more than enough to drive skeptics away from that thread.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

88h88 posted:

Welcome to the world of audiophiles.

Sounds like something Pinhead would say

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The coat hanger ABX is also a really good way to get them when you're pretty deep in.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It looks like something my father in law would make and release as shareware.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

My minidisk deck as a DAC is still going strong. $20.

Minidiscs own

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Stereophile's retired founder J. Gordon Holt wrote some stuff several years ago where he basically took a huge steaming poo poo on the audio industry, audiophiles, and Stereophile itself that expresses similar sentiments: http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/1107awsi/

This is great, thank you :)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

There is nothing sane about audiophilia

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

USB-C proliferation can't come soon enough

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

You know that bullshit audiophile woo-woo "Fidelizer" program that promises to improve sound quality in Windows, but actually does nothing at all to the sound?

The guy behind this piece of software junk is active on Head-Fi as "WindowsX", and he's absolutely batshit insane. He starts out right away by completely messing up data compression vs. dynamic compression, and he really gets going on page 2 and soon dives deep into some really amazing bullshit.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631978/320-kbps-mp3-vs-normal-audio-cd-listening-sound-quality

Then he is joined by IanMedium, who clearly has the most golden ears of all.

It just goes on and on and on.

And this is from the Sound Science forum at Head-Fi, where ABX testing and measurements are encouraged. So while the objective truth and suggestions of ABX testing are forbidden everywhere else, the woo-woo audiophiles are completely free to poo poo all over the one forum where common sense should prevail. What a great way to run a forum :rolleyes:
Christ I hate that place.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Whatever, MD are fun. I use mine all the time when I'm snowboarding because if I end up breaking it I won't be heartbroken.

Cheers!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

qirex posted:

Stereophile's advertiser apprectiation recommended components list is out!

I needed this today, thank you

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Courtesy of the Better Call Saul thread...

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

So who's going to join my startup which is basically Lootcrate for audiophiles? I need people to turn driftwood into knobs, gather pretty pebbles, glue tin foil on some board, et cetera. Bonus if you know a cheap source of staples. You know, for cartridge horns.

man that'd be funny to see happen for real

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Nothing about that decision isn't completely hilarious

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Here, read this and laugh

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

They saw Sony touch the poop, why not do it too?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I had the opportunity to, but I couldn't do it

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

There are a few; do you need the DAC too? If not, you could grab an o2 amp off Amazon, or any one of a number of FiiO products on the cheap.

They're not the greatest, but there's no need to spend a fortune

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rest in piss

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Theris posted:

Given his age and career, how likely is it that Niel Young could even hear the difference between a CD and a 64kbps MP3 recorded from a third generation analog cassette?

0%

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

poo poo you just know someone is going to make an audiophile :420: strain

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

3 year old review, but this went up on Wat Hifi? yesterday, and has some lovely nonsense inside.

http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/435-atomic-audio-labs-mac-platform

Thank you for sharing this, I needed an example of this crap to show my younger writers in what NOT to do when you're searching for words to fill content.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

lol

You could argue bt has a bigger carbon footprint, you could argue that having to charge yet another thing is inconvenient, you could argue that the no-battery/no-antenna cans are more durable, or a million other objectively true downsides to Bluetooth... But get the gently caress out of here with that noise about artifacting.

What are you the villain from Star trek generations, ripped out of the Nexus every time there's a minor change in what you listen to?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I mean yeah, BT is inherently not as good as wired's performance ceiling, but if you're listening on the subway, a bus, or any other noisy environment auditory masking is going to be a much bigger concern. :shrug:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That makes sense—that's exactly where you'd hear the differences, anyway.

It's a bit of a pain if you have a phone that doesn't support the latest codecs, but modern BT really comes close to the point where most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. There's also a million and one reasons why a set of headphones would sound shittier than another one, so the problem might also not be completely just "bluetooth."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

No arguments there—I'm 100% on team wired.

But all else being equal, BT isn't poo poo right now, even if it's not preferable for some people—I guess is the main point here.

Still makes no goddamn sense as to why Apple ditched the headphone jack oh wait

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Owe you a beer. All there is to it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah it's... a thing

Kudos for trying to reduce filesize I guess? idk

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I know it's a joke but you should legit do that

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Holy gently caress

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If they're anything like their planar magnetic headphones they should be fun

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hahaha ahhhh :smith:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

CES was a fun year for poo poo pr in audio.

Although I will say the Creative Labs proof of concept "tuning to your head" thing was interestingly not woo woo bullshit, but rather a feature of dubious market value

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

There is no such thing as legitimate audio enthusiast hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ll always wonder why they handicapped themselves that way.

At the time, beats was making 50 cents off every dollar spent on Bluetooth headphones. They basically bought their way into dominating the headphone industry- the AirPods too account for some absurd proportion of truly wireless earbud sales as well