Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

MAYBE IF MY WEAK NONSENSICAL "BURNS" ARE CONVOLUTED ENOUGH, NOBODY WILL NOTICE THAT IN SPITE OF BEING A CONDESCENDING TAINTSMEAR IN EVERY THREAD I POST IN, I HAVE LITERALLY NEVER HAD ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY INSIGHTFUL OR FUNNY TO SAy.

Obviously the best way to improve your stereo sound is to use this special cable massage oil I'll sell you to gently massage into the RCA cables that smooths out the harshness and lets the pureness of the music come forth.

*pours bottle of diluted hand wash into expensive looking glass bottle with fancy label, adds a couple drops of cheap perfume from the two dollar store*

That'll be five hundred dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

MAYBE IF MY WEAK NONSENSICAL "BURNS" ARE CONVOLUTED ENOUGH, NOBODY WILL NOTICE THAT IN SPITE OF BEING A CONDESCENDING TAINTSMEAR IN EVERY THREAD I POST IN, I HAVE LITERALLY NEVER HAD ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY INSIGHTFUL OR FUNNY TO SAy.

ColdPie posted:

Goon project: convince an audiophile to try that and post a review.

I like this idea.

You could talk about core body temperature being anally measured for absolute accuracy, therefore the lower intestine is the perfect place to park your blue tooth antenna for your wireless headphones using your skin as a natural filter to remove harmonic disturbances.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

The official Sennheiser website links to the "Unbox Therapy" youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dauPuQV5ws

loving shameless.

I thought all those unbox themed channels were basically paid ads anyway, even if they didn't clearly disclose.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

I won't be happy until an audiophile buys their own private satellite to stream ripped Beatles vinyl from their living room to their bedroom.

The space age solar panels really bring out the harmonic inducer reonances in the guitar, you know?

It's got to be a satellite built to USSR specs though, using old copper from closed soviet bases. It sounds more euphoric compared to those clinical digital satellites made with Japanese capacitors salvaged from old Game Boys.

I'm sensing a business opportunity here. Elon Musk give me a call.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 7, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Clearly the next step is to argue over which endangered African hardwoods are the best for your speaker stands.

If you didn't buy your speaker stand wood from I don't know, Burma Valley in Zimbabwe, then you're missing out on the magno-electro resonances being naturally harmonised by the bobinga. Basically if your rare African hardwoods didn't cost you blood diamonds they're going to be harsh and make your latest Styx album sound like it was recorded in a high school gymnasium.

If any of this sounds geographically innaccurate or otherwise ignorant that's because you're a hater who only clearly only uses samsung mp3 players made before 2010.

I'm still waiting for that call from Elon Musk regarding satellite streaming. Any day now, I'm sure.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 8, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

No, you have to go a step farther.

Rare wood seedlings from Africa, grown inside a geodesic dome situated on a place where the earth’s leylines harmonically converge. Surrounded by natural quartz that has been tuned to 432 Hz to best take advantage of nature’s own perfect harmonies.

I can picture the 6moons article already.

So can I, magnificent marketing work! Really shows how important knowing the target audience is.

Oh - we need to add that the wood is only harvested on a rare equinox eclipse too. For extra euphoria expressed through breadth of soundstage owing to how the wood knurls are affected by ethereal gravitics due to unique planetary alignments channelled by the ley lines.

They'll really notice the difference as the music resonates off their plasterboard gyprock. Also we need to start selling audiophile approved plasterboard but not until we've sold out of this special African hardwood.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 9, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

I'm thinking the audiophile plasterboard will look like the walls of Dr Who's TARDIS with round sci-fi things on them. For resonance and dampening obviously. We'll change the marketing tactics from natural themed to hyper-advanced and talk about nano design, using terms from rocketry or anything magnetic and trendy. Absolutely no natural materials, it'll be all slapped together at bottom dollar by a Chinese factory. No wait, it'll be Indian. We can work in a spiritual aspect there to do with Kali or something and have some Veena music playing in the background on the sales website.

We'll engage an out of work B-movie prop designer to make the actual plasterboard though, at least the initial run. No need to waste money on an actual audio engineer.

"Listening to Blue Oyster Cult it was so realistic it was like I travelled back in time to a live concert" - some person who definitely exists. Or a friend at the pub.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 9, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

As much as I hate to be the guy asking real questions, this is probably the best place to ask. Anyone know offhand a passable ~$20 usb dac I could use to hook up some powered speakers to a Raspberry Pi 400? It doesn't have any native analog out.

Would any generic usb phone audio dongle do the job?

Google search for "Comsol USB-C to 3.5mm Audio Cable 1m Black" and find a supplier or equivalent product in the country and currency of your choice.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 13, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

If we went back to Minidisc I'd wear one in a belt holster everywhere with cheap cabled IEMs in my pocket. Fairly happily really.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Folks would just use pro-Audiophile minidisc players made of special accoustic German plywood (and some cheap electronics) to make writers/players that produced blank minidiscs working with flac equivalent or something.

The Astell & Kern Minidisc player, if you will.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

A lot of the music I buy from Bandcamp is also available in vinyl or cassette. If it was in minidisc and players were commonly available I'd be buying.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Hipsters are showing off their wealth and privilege with those ROM cartridges. Real users of the time suffered through data tapes because the price difference was significant.

Let me load this software. Oh there was a read error after 20 minutes? Let me rewind, eject, clean the heads with some special fluid and a cotton bud, wait for ithe alcohol to dry out, then retry.

Cassettes were the media format of the masses. Not the best format but you took what you could.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

That will be ruined by the first passenger stuffing their drink bottle or other junk inside without looking first or caring.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Imagine the giant vinyl scratch caused by the first pothole or speedbump when listening to your rare vintage King Crimson album that you tracked down in some second hand store in Morocco.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

I just want to know where I can get indoor plants that emphasise the sub 50hz range.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

You'd likely need elephant ears to hear the difference.

Is there an audiophile-certified surgeon who can crudely stitch those to my head?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

this is supposed to go up your butt right

Don't be silly.

It goes insude your urethea.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

I think the point is to charge a grand for what should be about $40 worth of cable.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Who here is excited about MQA as a digital audio format that requires MQA-specific compatible hardware to work and that you probably pay a permium for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc

The fun starts 05:47 in the video.

Fun tidbit for those who didn't watch: The MQA publisher is so against actual testing of their product they actively block attempts at users encoding test tones and similar things. You have to literally trick them by hiding those tones inside regular tracks.

At least if you buy a snake oil audio cable you still get a perfectly good audio cable. Not so much with MQA

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 19, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Just build your house inside a giant subwoofer and be done with it. I guess you'll need to be next door to your own private substation for that magical clean power though so might want to build one of those too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

edit - wrong thread ignore

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

I also enjoy listening to tweeters through my knees. You need to be wearing the special audiophile pants of course.

Maybe some extra bookshelf speakers could go on top to alleviate the situation.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 5, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

So which audiophile grade pink quartz crystals do I use to weigh down my USB cables so the musical fidelity doesn't float off and escape?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Lmao you can't use pink quartz, that'll color the sound.

But I want to warm out those cool highs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

You're going to have to seal your cables in their own climate controlled environment.

What if I wrap my insulated cables in wool? Is there an optimum fleece/wool blend that will smooth out the resonances? Also how many thousands of dollars per meter?

Clearly I'll need to make audiophile pyjamas from this wonderful material so I can listen to my tunes optimally.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 19, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

qirex posted:

On the flipside I once told a normal person how much my system cost [and it's not very expensive] and he looked at me like I had three heads.

Those same people don't blink at the idea of spending eight grand on a two week overseas holiday. Priorities in life.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

qirex posted:

Can we make this the thread background?

I like this a great deal.

I couldn't think of a good way to say this via text so MS Paint to the rescue.

Needs a faint sine wave in the background and some washed out maths formulas too. But that requires more than 2 minutes in MS Paint.

(I'm trying to watch battle for los angeles on my other screen)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 29, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

"Euphoria" is another line but it requires 3D glasses to see because it's behind one of the existing ones and stretches into the distance, forever unattainable unless you first build a staircase out of money.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

repiv posted:

Looks like Pioneer just sells a bunch of generic adapters/cables/storage/etc under their name

https://pioneer-iot.com/product/

I don't see any audiophile connection

Pioneer's marketing team have missed a massive opportunity to parrot the virtues of special hand picked Samsung RAM chips and how they harmonize the treble and bass notes in a holographic wave of inverse flux capacitor potential.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Intel Optane for your high octane emotional musical enjoyment and purity of sound.

[insert logo dot jpeg here]

We're going to need some motherboards with gold coated PCI-E slots too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

I want to build and sell an audio cable that's simply a heavily insulated tube filled with conductive liquid metal (highly prone to leaking if pierced). Ideally something dangerous like mercury.

Slap on some really nice cable sleeving, call it "stellar-grade audio" or something, suitable for use in space missions to the moons of neptune. The liquid metal really smoothes the highs and evens out the mids.

Price? Only available for hard gold bullion. Delivered, no certificates accepted.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

I was thinking the other day. Has anyone ever tried a speaker cable company that just sells cables of stranded precious metals? Silver for the pleb tier, moving on up to gold and platinum, and then some ultra rare earth metals for the big spenders. I reckon it could be a money spinner

I think pure silver would be too fragile to make one of those speaker cables made of 78 individually shielded strands woven in a tennis net formation that costs $1000 a metre. Solid silver core 12 AWG, now we're talking.

If your speaker wires aren't solid 24 carat gold and thick as an industrial power cable then you're not really listening to music.

Wait this needs to be palladium. I think that's mildly toxic and also very expensive.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

taqueso posted:

You just make everything else out of gold

Solid gold speaker cabinets for the discerning oil sheikh.

I'm the bundled $1 buds. Which you can't plug in apparently, no front jack at least.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

To paraphrase B&O's tonemeister on the BeoLab 90, audiophiles are people with one chair and no friends.

It's this. Only one person at a time can sit in the perfect listening position. All others are heathens who must be banished to other rooms or dwellings. Shut the door, you'll ruin the resonance!

Remember: those tweeters can only be properly in line with one pair of ears at a time.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 8, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

What if I put another chair in the same place upside down on the ceiling?

It will be off centre and the L & R won't work!

At least not without my patent pending solid gold core & palladium plated speaker cables that cost $80000 per metre.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

With a solid conductor, or rather, an alloy or element in a solidus (below melting point) atomic lattice configuration. In such condition, ‘electrical response’ , or electron flow, is restricted to electron orbital ‘co-joined’ pathways in the atomic lattice. This is the situation in what we call ‘DC Flow’ in the given conductor. This relates to named observations like Johnson–Nyquist noise.

It's... it's beautiful.

*wipes tear from eye*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

What really makes the music sound good is the fancy volume dial on the front of your amplifier. The fancier the dial the smoother the highs and the punchier the lows.

This is why Yamaha amps are so good. Really nice volume dials.

If only I had a volume dial with the entire mayan calendar hand engraved on it by child slave labor. I can only imagine how good the music from such a device would be.