Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Uh, I'm sure you guys have discussed power cords already but this earnest article reads like parody.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

The author was one of the guys who helped develop PCR fitting into the guys who are smart about their own area but hella dumb about other areas archetype.

Also in dumb audiophile news, I preordered the Kef LS50 Meta to replace my Kef Q350 that I use as nearfield speakers in my office.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

qirex posted:

I stopped paying close attention to TAS after they got rid of my ability to troll the authors in the comments. They're pretty much the worst of the "respectable" outlets but great for laughs, like the same guy discussing how he "upgraded" his home music streaming setup with a bunch of commercial grade fiber networking gear because his ring doorbell used up too much wifi bandwidth.

What color? I keep thinking about having a "fuckit" moment and ordering the LS50 wireless II just because.
Got the blue color. It doesn't match anything else in the room or system but I love that subdued blue color.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

When my kids were small they poured old milk from the trash into my good shoes so I'm sympathetic.

Also my LS50 Meta should be here tomorrow so I can give my qualitative judgment on them soon.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Have the LS50 Meta set up in a nearfield configuration which isn''t really what it's meant for. Just from a subjective perspective it sounds more accurate than the Q350 but I'm not sure that's an entirely positive thing. It almost sounds like I magically installed anechoic egg crate foam in my room, but while some of that extraneous sound and reflections of the Q350 may have detracted from the Q350's accuracy, it added to it's impact/presence. It's not quite the same visceral impact for the LS50 Meta. It's also takes more power to drive the LS50 Meta vis a vis the Q350. If you care about surround sound for movies/video or gaming, I think I wouldn't spring for the LS50 and just save money with the Q350. If you care about music, then maybe the LS50 Meta makes sense. The LS50 also seems more sensitive to seating position in this configuration than the Q350. I'm going to keep listening to the LS50 before deciding on any kind of subjective verdict.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I have a really big desk and the LS50s are smaller than the Q350s. The footprint is about the same but they're shorter.

EDIT: After taking a listening break for a while and playing with positioning and a bit less toe in, I can say I'm much happier with the LS50. They sound great and are definitely a nice step up in audio quality.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 16, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I love audiosciencereview and the work amirm is doing to bring objective metrics to audio reviews but the trend has brought another type of audiophile to the front. I'll call them objective audiophiles to distinguish them from the subjective woo audiophiles. These guys will chase objective metrics obsessively based purely on amrim's measurements to irrational lengths. They'll cling to some measurement and insist that they can hear the difference even when the measurement difference is purely technical excellence and well outside of any audible range. They're more rational than the subjective audiophiles since they have actual data but they're irrational in the sense that everything that measures less well sounds worse in their minds than something that measure better even if those measurements are clearly going to be inaudible. You see a lot of them in the comments on the ESS IMD hump. When people started investigating the source of the hump suddenly all these people were insisting their ESS DACs that sounded fine before they saw the chart were broken and you had all these guys asking how to solder in new resistors/capacitors to reduce the hump. Meanwhile no one has demonstrated that the hump is audible in otherwise well designed and measuring DACs. Usability and features then become far lesser in importance than chasing that extra 5 db in SINAD.

I'll admit that I have some tendencies toward this too. I ordered a Gustard X16 which measured a 121 db SINAD for XLR out and 118 db for RCA to replace my 107 db SINAD THX Desktop DAC/Amp. Likely that difference is inaudible except for super sensitive IEMs which I don't use with the DAC. I'm sure the sound quality will be identical. But at least I was driven by BT, XLR out and having a remote as well so the better SINAD was only part of the analysis.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 26, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The advent of the excellent afforable ESS and AKM based DACs along with great class D amps like the Hypex and Purifi amps have basically made excellent audio a commodity. The things that make the biggest difference now are the output devices speakers/headphones and improving the listening space/adjusting for room acoustics with an UMIK and REW or Dirac and a lot of that ends up being personal preference. I bought an UMIK and Dirac Live and equalized the entire frequency range to the target, I found I didn't like the target curve and prefer manually adjusting so I got a refund on Dirac and will just stick to REW. The main things I found with the REW/Dirac was that the Kube 12b has totally sufficient bass that is decent in the 20s and that I have a bizarre null at 233 Hz that seems to make no audible difference but is really distinct on a graph.

In other news, SVS just announced the 1000 Pro series of subs which replaces the 1000 including adding the DSP that's in their higher end offerings. Should be a really good option for the budget and space conscious.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 26, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Neurophonic posted:

I’d argue that’s because the ‘magic bullet’ tools are not going to be able to determine why a dip in magnitude response is occurring, and whether or not an EQ fix is appropriate. Even with multiple measurements, the data has to be weighted accordingly. That includes taking things like the usage into account - making a pretty graph in a 10cm window isn’t much use if there’s two sofas of family who have to listen to the system. Humans (with sufficient information and experience) can be quite good at that.
Yes, I was overly optimistic about Dirac's ability to calculate a correction because I only needed to correct for one position, sitting at my desk in a fixed position in near field mode. So while the end graph looked fine and the final response tracked closer to the target curve, the sound was not as subjectively pleasant as manually tweaking things.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mamma mia! I hope none of these people are in any professional positions where they have to make sensible decisions.
Scharf is a molecular biologist who was one of the pioneers of PCR thus demonstrating that you can be brilliant in one area and a complete idiot in another area.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Because I can't leave well enough alone. I'm switching up my desktop nearfield setup.

Here is my current set up

I lack bass management other than the LPF and 3 option eq of my subwoofer. The main speakers are running full range. The system actually sounds just great. I tried an active analog HPF on my main speakers but it added noise and interference to the system.

Here is my new set up

I now have full control over the crossover and eq for both the mains and sub for proper bass management and room eq. As to why I'm not just going with the SHD and adding the complexity of an extra DAC. It's because the SHD doesn't support DSD or MQA or bluetooth and the Gustard doesn't do bass management, eq or crossovers.

Not sure if any of this is worth the time and effort.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 3, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

qirex posted:

I doubt a nearfield environment will benefit much from Dirac but you appear to have created an excellent audiophile Gordian knot. And do you want actual feedback on , say, your idea of a separate, second DAC for high res?
Sure. Feedback is welcome.

Edit to say that I have very few DSD files or PCM >192 kHz other than a few files made purely for demonstration purposes. MQA might be more relevant if more streaming services adopt it.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 3, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

LRADIKAL posted:

Lol. Wow, I thought my poo poo was overcomplicated.

Edit: you high pass filter your main output, but it still connects to the sub?
No the HPF is done by the SHD but it has 4 channels and only HPF filters 2 channels to pass to the main speakers.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

grack posted:

Hey, don't poo poo on the blinky lights. Blinky lights are cool.
I think you've just stated the design aesthetic for the entire Chord DAC line.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There are a bunch of sites with blind tests of lossless vs lossy music as well as uncalibrated tests of hearing loss. I definitely don't have golden ears but I've known that for a long time. I bought a Sony ES series SACD player when they first came out and I couldn't distinguish SACDs from CDs even on non-blind testing although my musician friend swore he could hear minor differences. I used to have excellent high frequency hearing but now that's all gone and I have moderate high frequency hearing loss. On Amir's thread on the Gustard X16, there are some people claiming to hear the difference between a Topping D90 and the X16 which I cannot believe as well as people asking if they should upgrade their 112 dB SINAD E30 for the 121 dB X16.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Other than changing my speakers and adding a subwoofer, the biggest change in sound to my system came from putting my speakers on stands. Not because of any special acoustic properties of the stands but because they brought the speakers in line with my ears and not much lower as they were before. In comparison, the component changes made little if any difference.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I've got the miniDSP SHD set up now (but no Gustard X16 yet) and the SHD is pretty awesome for trying out different combinations of crossovers, LPF, HPF, PEQ, DIRAC etc. I have one preset with just a standard 80 Hz crossover with no eq, another with 80 Hz crossover and DIRAC eq and a third with full range to the speakers with a 60 LPF on the subs and no eq.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

qirex posted:

I forgot to ask earlier you why you need a second DAC.
I actually was just going to get the Gustard as a new DAC so I could get PCM/DSD/MQA at all rates along with remote control and Bluetooth. But I needed bass management so wanted to get a miniDSP SHD Studio which doesn't have a DAC. It's just a DSP that outputs digital but that would have meant getting 2 DACs anyway along with the DSP so I got the SHD which has its own DAC but does not do DSD/MQA and doesn't have Bluetooth. So to get everything I want I needed 2 units. All I want is a good DAC that can do 4 channels and can deal with all PCM/DSD/MQA and has good DSP with crossovers and peq and can accept Bluetooth and streaming. In essence I need a good streaming multichannel preamp/DAC/DSP. But all preamps that meet those requirements are stupid money so I went with kludging together the 2 units.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I didn't realize that neither the SHD nor the X16 have a headphone jack. So all that effort and I'm still missing a feature.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 9, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I got the Gustard X16 and now have my system fully set up. It works fine and sounds great BUT the Gustard X16 is a perfect example of why you shouldn't chase max SINAD. The lure of a 121 SINAD for only $499 is really seductive but there are much better choices. The sound quality is of course excellent but there is no audible different between it and lesser rated top tier DACs. While the objective performance is excellent, the features are poor. There is no headphone amp/jack. You can chose the input but you can't choose the output. It always outputs to all the outputs RCA/XLR/digital all the time so you can't set up alternative outputs to play separately. The manual claims there is a DAC mode i.e. fixed output, but there is none. You just have to set it to 00 dB. The only menu options are a few filters, bluetooth control, oversampling on or off, phase invert, and screen brightness. The screen is tiny and hard to read. All in all the feature set is poor and the Topping and SMSL beat it on features even as bare bones as they are. The RME ADI and miniDSP SHD crush it on features and utility in return for a loss of a little performance which is totally inaudible. Even my Monolith balanced desktop DAC/Amp kills it on features. I'm still keeping the Gustard as I'm using it for high res and bluetooth but I could live without it.

EDIT: Volumio on the SHD has been pretty useful. The Astell & Kern players have AK Connect which makes the player a DLNA server which Volumio recognizes and so I can stream music from the A&K SR25 to the SHD wirelessly so I don't have to deal with bluetooth and its codecs.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 11, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Not lying when I say that I've been looking for a foobar2000 skin which looks like a Mcintosh amp VU meters and all.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I use streaming services (I use Spotify and I've set up Volumio and Roon on my home network as well) but streaming services have lost catalogs when they can't renew deals with rights holders. When I look at how Netflix and other video services have winnowed down their less popular titles as well, it makes me concerned about future availability on music networks and I want to have a copy of the music backed up on a drive. I end up using the services like a discovery tool/radio and buying the music l like as either digital downloads and sometimes in physical format.

While CDs themselves were fine, the old CDR and CDRW were terrible and I can't tell you how many I have that have become unreadable with just the passage of time.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 15, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

PS Audio’s YouTube is the best

it’s like a slot machine where you never know if the advice is gonna be reasonable and science-based or stupid and nonsensical
The first PS Audio video I watched was one about setting up subwoofers and he was claiming that you should attach your sub through its high level inputs to your amps to preserve the character of the amp for best results. So I do subscribe to PS Audio, but not so much for informational purposes but more entertainment.

The only audio youtube channel I watch for actual informational purposes is audioholics since they are huge subwoofer and room correction nerds.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 16, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

drat it. If this wasn't stupid money I'd have bought it already because I'm a fashion victim.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...fi-music-player

EDIT: now I'm searching ebay for broken Sony WM-1 and a cheap DAP to kludge together my own version.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 19, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There's a new king of DAC SINAD now. WolfX-700, a Chinese audio reviewer, just tested a DAC at 125 dB SINAD at his blog on L7AudioLab. He's under an NDA as far as manufacturer name and model go but expect to see ASR posters dumping their Topping D90 and SMSL S400 and Gustard X16/A18 soon for the new measurement king notwithstanding the fact that there is no audible difference and that even if there were an audible difference it would be gone once pushed through any amp.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-new-king.21444/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I know I've ranted about "subjective objectivists" who bench race audio numbers to seek inaudible improvements. But that got me thinking about what would be the cheapest system you could get that would be as audibly good as the most numerically perfect setting aside source (assume PC here) and setting aside output device since that's hugely room/preference dependent.

I know the current ASR SINAD kings would be the Benchmark AHB2 amp (113 dB for $2999) and Okto Dac8 Stereo (122 dB for about $1377) -> $4376

What if we substituted the March Audio P122 (100 dB for $595) and Khadas Tone Board 1 (110 dB for $79.90) -> $674.90

If you don't want a bare circuit board, the Topping D10s (112 dB at $110) and Loxjie D30 (114 dB at $170) provide better performance than the Khadas for not much more. If you want to go cheaper than the March Audio, Buckeye Audio sells Hypex based amps for as low as $499 for a stereo P252 model (95 dB SINAD) and a NAD C320BEE amp (90 dB SINAD) can be found for $240 shipped on eBay.

Could anyone hear the difference provided that we didn't have an impedance mismatch and that the P122 power output was enough for the speaker? In fact could anyone hear the difference between a C320BEE and Khadas ($320 total) and a Benchmark/Okto setup ($4376) if your power needs were less than 70 watts.

Alternatively, what is the most you could spend for the same performance? We have the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (121 dB at $11,500) and Mola Mola Kula ($13,800). Though to be fair, you can get the DAC integrated in the Kula for only $8,282 for a total of $22,082.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 29, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

My favorite recent ASR post is the guy who was considering the Gustard X16 or SMSL SU-9 but was leaning toward the SU-9 for its tube emulation mode. So you want the most distortion free DAC possible in order to emulate distortion?

Seriously, after a certain point things like readability of the display and ergos of the controls are way more important than squeezing that last dB of SINAD or slight better IMD out of a chipset. SMSL, Topping and Gustard are crushing it as far as getting the closest to theoretical performance of their AKM/ESS chips but are falling down still on usability, features and software vs say RME. Even though it doesn't measure the best, the MiniDSP SHD pretty much has the best set of features I've seen on any reasonably priced DAC and because it comes with support for DIRAC and can be just as easily used with REW it will make far more of an impact on sound.

Totally unrelated aside but I now have an Intel NUC 10 i7 serving as a Roon Core and Plex Server which is attached to an external 10 TB drive and 1 TB SSD. I'm pretty happy to move those functions off my main computer. I have Volumio on the SHD set up with the Roon Endpoint extension.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 29, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

qirex posted:

How hardware intense is Roon Core? I have a Mac Mini I've been using as a combo computer and server and was planning on using that. My music will be on a NAS pretty soon and while I know you can run Roon on Intel NAS they don't recommend it.
It's not really very hardware intensive. Even an i3 should run it so long as you don't use Roon's internal DSP and don't have a super huge library. I know they can even run it using ROCK on the Synology NASs. In comparison Plex is always using a shitload of CPU resources. Just streamed a little to check. CPU spiked to 8% for just a second and then stayed at 1% CPU while streaming. The only reason I went with an i7 was so I could run other server software (Plex etc.) simultaneously with Roon Core.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'll always love loudspeakers despite the existence of great headphones/IEMs because you're able to feel the sound everywhere as opposed to just the ear canal. The massive subs/infrasonic subs are an extension of that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I think that's fine for its intended purpose. It's a tiny gym space so you'll never be in one place. Not only will the owner be moving from station to station but also the equipment itself will be loud. I assume they were an extra pair of speakers they had lying around otherwise you'd think that they would use smaller higher mounted speakers.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m pretty sure Gen IV is the current generation of Cornwall released within the past year, and they aren’t exactly inexpensive speakers (though I guess anything coming in at <$10k/pair could be considered inexpensive in the world of audiophilia)
Ouch. Deliberately purchasing those speakers for that space seems aggressively wrong.

Also I know this thread is about dumb audiophiles but the weight equipment selection is inexplicable. Why a calf raise and hyperextension machine and power tower/dip-leg raise station if you have limited space?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 5, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I got a promotional email for what I thought were pricey flagship headphones for $3,999 but turned out to be just a set of IEM cables. I understand cables as pure audio jewelry but even as that. whew.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/effect-audio/products/ea-flagship-centurion

edit: lmao, you can't even buy the black and gold version unless you've already bought a set of their $1,699 cables or their $7,000 King Arthur iems.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 20, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Fiio has a new top of the line DAP that's shooting for desktop DAC level power and sound quality. They spent all this effort to make it super low noise and distortion. Of course it runs so hot that they make a stand with a fan to cool it off while running. I'm sure that extra couple of dB in SINAD is worth having to run a loud fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3ZSSZB8GM

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Those are some great numbers. The only issue is it is not very powerful (48 W at 8 ohms and 83 W at 4 ohms) but it seems perfect for a small system.

qirex posted:

It’s hilarious to me that Amir at audio science review has so much power now that companies are chasing SINAD numbers, which will probably have a bunch of unintended consequences other ways [like a fan on a portable player].
One of the worst ones was SMSL making a design decision for the M400 DAC that increased SINAD but made output impedance 1000 ohms which meant more potential mismatches for amps.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 9, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

This is amazing.

quote:

Actually just having your system turned on, or even the single component you are re-fusing left on (it is always a good idea change only one component fuse at a time until you determine correct fuse directionality) is sufficient in most cases to burn in a fuse, no music necessary. It is paramount however that you first determine correct fuse orientation on a fuse-by-fuse basis before placing in the next fuse in your system and again listening in both directions where the correct directionality should be readily appertains as more air and detail. If switching from a prior SR fuse model like Orange start Purple in the same direction, if it does not sound immediately better in most ways simply reverse the Purple fuse direction. Due to a new conditioning process, purple fuses may not always perfectly mirror the same orientation as prior SR Fuses. After determining the correct directionality for one or more fuses leave your system turned on to speed realization of best performance.

Yours in music,

Ted Denney III Lead Designer/CEO Synergistic Research Inc.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm done with most powered speakers other than subwoofers. After going through the premature deaths of amps in 2 different sets of powered speakers, I'm sticking strictly with passives.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What brands were they out of interest?
B&W MM-1 and KEF X300A. Bottom of the line stuff from both brands but both died like a month outside of the warranty period. And given the costs to ship back and forth along with repair costs it just wasn't worth it. Meanwhile I've seen passives last 30 years plus without issues.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I have the Minidsp SHD and I'm amazed that very few people other than Minidsp are making a DSP/DAC product like it. Instead of adding a powerful parametric eq and room correction to their audibly transparent DAC like MiniDSP, the other DAC makers like Topping, SMSL, Gustard etc are all chasing inaudible improvements in SINAD. I feel like for a audio system my best purchases were decent speakers/headphones followed by the DSP/DAC.