Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get this love for Schiit. Reading a bunch of their product descriptions, while they're not audiophool level bullshit, they're walking a fine line. Kind of sounds like people over at Head-Fi fretting over minute differences in opamps that the human ear can't even pick up.

They make good products cheaply. If audiophools want to throw more money at them for better magic, then Schiit has a solution for that.
I see no problem with this.

What products specifically "walk a fine line?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Does anyone have any experience with Teac products?

I'm seriously considering getting the Teac UD-501 from Massdrop for my desktop because it's $424, looks really good, has a smaller footprint, and is part of an extensive line of similar looking products which look like they'll stack well.
The plan would be to get this for immediate headphone use and save some loot to pick up an AX-501 (gotta love the vu meters) later to power some (probably home made) speakers.

It's not a necessity, it would just be a nice to have. But I'm curious about other's opinions.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

grack posted:

TEAC is a well respected manufacturer and makes good stuff. The better question is what are you using them for?
Facebook videos and lovely youtube rips of beatles mixtapes.

I'm gonna be moving soon and without a house for the better part of 6 months while it is built. I'll most likely be living with the in-laws or my grandmother in the meantime.
I need a compact setup that is a generally good all around system to get me through while all my hi-fi stuff is boxed up in storage.
It has to look good so as not to offend anyone and it should probably look expensive so people know not to gently caress with it.
I don't intend on tossing it out when I get all settled in my new home, so I'll plan to continue to use it as the sound source for my desktop.

I've been eyeing some creek audio/bryston/classe stuff but nothing quite fits the bill. It's all rack width low power, or full sized high power / no DAC

Basically I want small footprint, multi component, and a reasonable amount of power for speakers but it all has to match and be aesthetically pleasing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

grack posted:

It's a fine amp but likely overkill for your needs. You're paying a premium for looks and inputs you'll probably never use but it'll certainly do the job you want it to.

That's pretty much my take. However, I'm still swinging toward the "this and a pair of ls-50's is exactly what you need" side of things over the "you already have the means to accomplish your goals it just won't look pretty"
I'm hoping to land somewhere in between. If that means D.I.Y. bookshelf speakers than so be it.
Besides, I think it's cool that I could use the balanced outputs on the UD-501 to feed the AX-50. Not advantageous, but cool.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TomR posted:

All LED indicator lights should be replaced with VU meter style needles with tasteful warm white back lighting. Even the ones that just let you know it's on. With a tasteful little startup dance too.

I would be totally okay with this.

Edit:

I also think the Naim NAP 100 and DAC v1 are quite pretty.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 7, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Revox has some good looking stuff right now.
Their M100 system looks sleek and well designed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqzTzwpmTg0
But good luck even finding one.

Bel Canto has a beautiful lineup with their e.One series.

But they're super expensive and difficult to obtain as well.

Heed audio has a plethora of gorgeous offerings across all their lines:

Their Modular line

The all-in-one Elixir integrated amp

The Obelisk line

And my favorite, the Theis Line

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

metallicaeg posted:

Pretty sure this thread has now come full circle

Anytime you involve audiophiles, the conversation eventually wraps right back around to DACs.

I just found out about the Elac Element.

It doesn't look to perform up to the standards of any of the things I've previously mentioned, and it doesn't look nearly as nice.
But it is available on amazon and is actually obtainable outside of learning another language, flying to Europe, and trying to find a brick-and-mortar store affiliated with any aforementioned product.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

http://schiit.com/news/news/schiit-previews-2-channel-line-at-rmaf

This looks really promising.
I'm particularly interested in that Vidar

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 7, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I bit the bullet and bought into the Teac UD-501 on Massdrop.
I also snagged an Amazon warehouse deal on an AX-501 so it looks like I'm all set for now.
I managed to get both altogether for under $900. Pretty solid deal imo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wasabi the J posted:

I use a Scarlett 2i2 as my DAC & amp.

Same but I think that's going to change soon. It's probably going to just be used for a recording interface from here on out. It does a good enough job for most headphones but just can't cut it with 300-600ohm loads and frankly it just doesn't sound as good as other things I own. I'm still waiting on my Teac UD-501 to arrive, but my Teac AX-501 drives my speakers and headphones real guud.
The Focusrite is great for what it is though: a small unit to sit on top of my computer at LAN parties or keep with my laptop, or as a small recording interface for a single instrument / streaming / chatting with a decent mic.

Panty Saluter posted:

I dusted off my old Mbox 2 and am using it for headphones and to drive an amp for my speakers. It has hiccuped a few times but nothing major (USB and lol Avid drivers lol). Also I have to remember to turn off my amp before rebooting the computer or the Mbox sends a heck of a pop through it.

I only have 32 ohm headphones but I never have to use a ton of volume on them. I guess it can drive slightly higher impedance headphones based on that, but how much is anyone's guess.

Just because it can drive them also doesn't necessarily guarantee any degree of sound quality. My scarlett 2i2 can't drive my old k240's or sennheisers. It is loud enough with my 598se and ATH M70x. It puts out ~enough~ volume for my Fidelio x2 but they don't sound particularly impressive and I always want to keep turning them up louder. Every single pair of headphones I own sounds better through a proper headphone amp, if only marginally.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Alan_Shore posted:

Why is the PS1 held up as an amazing CD player but not the superior Sega Saturn?

You know.. I saw one at goodwill today for $50. I might just have to start the next crazy audiofool trend.

In all seriousness though... in it's heyday, the Playstation did sound really good compared to anything else I'd owned.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's a good one, about vibrations.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18367-Introspection-and-hyperbole-control&p=444653&viewfull=1#post444653

(Why do crackpots always write in color, with stupid fonts?)

I had to copypasta this into notepad to read it. It was not worth the effort.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

metallicaeg posted:

So what's a no bullshit headphone amp? I have 300 ohm headphones and whatever integrated op amp I have on my motherboard isn't cutting it. This isn't even primarily for music - I need louder volume for Counter Strike of all things.

I've been pretty happy using my Focusrite Scarlett for both mic input and headphone output however I doubt that it'll be able to keep up with such a high impedance as 300ohm.
Seconding Schiit, FiiO and o2.

I'm REALLY happy with the Teac AX-501 and UD-501 setup I bought, but it's all the money and definitely overkill for what you're asking.

Massdrop has the AI-101 for $200 right now. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ai-101da-integrated-amplifier-with-usb-dac
It does all the things and is a fairly good middle of the road option considering performance, features, price, and looks.

If you want super budget - Dayton Audio has some stuff...
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta3116hp-class-d-mini-amplifier-with-headphone-amp-2-x-15w--300-3810

I've heard a lot of people recommend Audioengine, but I personally can't speak for them. I've never tried one of their products.

Since this is the audiofool thread:
Creek audio has a couple good ones too. You might be able to find a used obh-11 for around $100 or a new obh-21 for all the monies.

If you really feel the need to spend $1200 on a headphone amp, the Bryston BHA-1 is certainly a way to do that. However, the Schiit Moljnir is like half the price and is fully balanced end to end.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

This thing is stupid good, especially considering it's size.
I can't get this poo poo eating grin off my face.

I even made myself some cables, because why the gently caress not?

I'm gonna bring it over to my friend's house and see if it'll drive his Accutons acceptably.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BobHoward posted:

New thread title: ridiculous audiophiles post ITT about wasting money

Isn't that the point? Or is there another thread for that?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jmcrofts posted:

I run my headphones at like 30% volume and have never had a problem with them being too quiet. Am I just using lovely headphones?

You're using efficient headphones.

Edit: but I'm gonna take a guess and say that they're also probably lovely.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Oh, I like those. Those are good headphones.
And yeah what Panty Saluter said. They're easy to drive.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Audiofools! Recommend me a small desktop passive loudspeaker. I need something for work, and I've already got dacs and amps to spare.
I probably won't ever actually use them at work, I just need to assert my cubicle dominance. I don't want them to be useless though, because I might actually use them somewhere else at some point in my life.
For reference, KEF LS-50's are far too big.
The more $$$ the speakers, the better obviously.

Edit:
Has anyone tried the Focal littlebird speakers?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 12, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

taqueso posted:

Do you have room for a subwoofer under your desk?

I do, but I won't be using it.
At least not in the office.

Edit: the more I look, the more I realize there's not really anything like what I'm looking for.
I might have to DIY after all.

I'm thinking maybe 2 mini arrays of 7-8 of these: http://www.parts-express.com/hiwave-bmr12-compact-2-full-range-square-speaker-12w-8-ohm--299-208

Double edit: oooh or a whole bunch of these: http://www.parts-express.com/tectonic-elements-tebm65c20f-8-3-1-2-bmr-full-range-speaker-8-ohm--297-2156

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 12, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Neurophonic posted:

What about some of these? https://teenage.engineering/products/od-11

I've worked with a few BMR drivers they're good if a little odd sounding.
That thing is sorta cool but I'm looking for something passive so I can justify buying my amp.
BMR's are odd if nothing else but the only other alternative I can think of is an open baffle full range speaker using some Seas or Fostex drivers.

iSimian posted:

JBL 4312M mk 2 - The cutest littlest jbl's. Or Tannoy Autograph Mini if you work in the 50's. Or maybe Sonus Faber Toy in piano black or walnut.
I'll admit that I've been eyeing the Sonus Faber Toy's for a while now but I couldn't get away with having them at work. They're too big.

spookygonk posted:

At first glance I thought, " why is he showing off a CB radio. Has someone built an audiophile one?"
No but hot drat do I have an idea now...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

iSimian posted:

Never too big! Cremona M Auditor's worked in my (home) office a while :-D

http://imgur.com/a/PhzSF

It's less a matter of desk space and more a matter of my boss seeing them and telling me to take them home.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

You spent four figures on separate components with a 90% feature overlap solely because your weird internal requirements said "I don't want a receiver," you've won the thread.
don't give me too much credit now. I'm not quite there yet.
The UD-501 can't drive speakers and the AX-501 isn't a DAC. And I spent <$700

But if it makes you feel any better, I'm eventually going to pick up a Teac PD-501HR just so I have a component stack that's all matchy-matchy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Neurophonic posted:

26cm is too big? Wow. Coaxial or single driver is your only option then. If you're a fan of open baffle / hate your co workers and want zero directionality then I know somebody who built these and loved them:
http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/speaker-projects/miniature-full-range-open-baffle-for-the-desktop/

eh... it's more of a "this is really hard to hide, and if the boss sees it, questions will be asked" sort of deal.
I tried putting a pair of Beovox s80.2's on my desk for a few days and he blew a loving gasket. They weren't even connected to anything, they were just there while I made space to bring them home.

I was looking at that exact project not long ago. I'm starting to think that a coaxial open baffle is gonna be the stopgap until I sell my house and move into my new one and have an office of my own.
Right now everything is in boxes hiding away because apparently the people who stage houses for sale hate audio equipment.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gromit posted:

You should go as big as possible, so they don't even register to him as speakers. Get something in beige and mount some horizontal plastic bars on it and he'll just see some filing cabinets.

I have some beige Vendersteen 2ci's...
You might be on to something.

JFairfax posted:

Arcam Muso - I have a pair and they're great

120 x 155 x 230mm

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Loudspeaker,muso.htm

That's actually not a bad suggestion.

JFairfax posted:

(4.7 x 6.1 x 9.1 inches)

lol thank you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Phanatic posted:

Will the fact that they're making noise not alert your boss to the presence of speakers?

I think you missed the part where I'm probably not ever going to actually use them at work:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I probably won't ever actually use them at work, I just need to assert my cubicle dominance. I don't want them to be useless though, because I might actually use them somewhere else at some point in my life.

I might use them to play a voicemail once in a while so the whole team can hear it, but probably not much else.

Neurophonic posted:

The new version of that appears to be smaller and looks even less like a normal speaker:
http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Loudspeaker,muso2.htm

They're not the best looking speakers, but they're not bad.

Edit: ...aaaaaand now I'm looking at their A19 amp.
What the gently caress is a class G amp?

Double edit: Apparently it's a "hybrid technology amp" with no "turbo lag" I appreciate a good car analogy but

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 14, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what the gently caress

why exactly are you buying new speakers specifically to antagonize your boss with?

NO I'm trying to NOT antagonize him this time.

Anywho I figured it out...
I'm buying a pair of Electrostatic panels and disguising them as part of my cubicle wall.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

D1E posted:

I take it you wageslave plebescrub common people are not familiar with DSD or DXD audio files then?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_eXtreme_Definition

If you don't already have a DAC capable of natively playing these formats then I can only laugh at your poverty and ignorance.

Sadly, I didn't spring for the UD-503 and the UD-501 is only 5.6 Mhz DXD, so I am but a pleb.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

EL BROMANCE posted:

So when doing some research on some affordable speakers for my new setup, I think I stumbled upon someone who has to be considered an audiophile but seems to somehow possess a complete mirror of the usual traits.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/

Amongst the $2,000+ speakers he sells, the 3rd thing listed on his site are $210 bookshelf speakers that are mods from Parts Express bookshelves that are already supposedly pretty good. Dennis is apparently a bit of a king of crossover design, and apparently improves the speaker a fair chunk and charges next to nothing for the assembly of it all. The guy won't even make a speaker if he doesn't think it's worth the cost of parts and assembly, and refuses to upsell people on something they don't need. What is going on? He seems like a good dude, and I'll probably pick up a pair when the queue dies down a bit.

I was looking for some towers with Raal ribbons and for a while there it was a tossup between Philharmonic and Ascend. The Philharmonitor is amazing and he's a no-bs type of guy it seems so I'd imagine that his rendition of the OvernightSensations BR-1 is probably very good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

synthetik posted:

I remember buying a pair of B&W DM302 speakers for ~$250 and them sounding crazy good, but that was probably 20 years ago.

Funny thing about physics... it hasn't changed much in the last billion years or so.
Those speakers probably still sound really good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tubes are cool and neat things to play with if you're an electronics nerd.
But I'd much prefer them in my bass amp than my stereo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

If anyone feels like blowing a bunch of money kefdirect.com has the LS50s on sale for $1199 today only.

meh I've seen it happen a couple of times and I haven't taken the bait yet thankfully.
Acessories4less almost always has them at that price and sometimes even under a grand.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

I got a new job so it's probably just a matter of time before I join the Order of the Orange Driver. Going to see if I can find some used/refurb though.

I was literally about to click the 'buy' button like 3 months ago, then the wife called me and said "we're buying a house."
At the time I was all because that means we can't spend a dime until we've put money down and budget the rest.
Now I'm like because I realize that I'm gonna get an entire basement to myself.
Soon I'll be all when I start building myself a proper home theater.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Panty Saluter posted:

I mostly want a house so I can run all my custom in-wall theater/whole house audio

Whole house audio seems counter to my whole philosophy of "collect as much poo poo as possible."
If I could run every thing from a receiver or two then what the gently caress am I gonna do with the other forty?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

EL BROMANCE posted:

I bought a house that someone has already wired the front to the patio, which definitely gave me reason to smile. Haven't had chance to do a test yet as I don't have any audio gear (starting from scratch again after moving). I'm worried that the speaker cabling has been snipped as I can see some sticking out of two parts of the wall which doesn't really make any sense. A battery and a multimeter time...

I'm a fan of just twisting the wires together and checking for continuity or resistance at the other end.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Am I the only one not surprised? I bet if they tested any random pro DAC, they would outperform consumer gear priced three times as much. There are a dozen brands just like Behringer and they all sell a 2-input audio interface at that price point, aimed at entry-level home studios. Heck, I have one here, a FocusRite Scarlett something something. Terrific sound. Lots of knobs. Gives phantom power.

But of course, no audiophile would buy it, because it isn't branded Cambridge or Mcintosh...?

Yeah but my Focusrite doesn't do stereo inputs. I love literally everything else about it though.
That behringer on the other hand sounds like it does?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

EL BROMANCE posted:

It looks like it just bridges the two mono inputs together, which you should be able to do in software with your Focusrite?

oh... well yeah duh.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wasabi the J posted:

Lol.

Also I love my 2i2. I just use it as a sound card with a fat volume knob for my Mackies, though.

2i2 for life bro. GODDAMN I love having a fat volume knob for monitors and a nice tight little one for headphones. unf

What Mackies are you rockin'?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

synthetik posted:

I used to have the BigKnob but traded it in for a UR28.

Any answer other than Mackie HR824 is wrong.

keep going I'm almost there. Those monitors are so good I still don't understand how they're so cheap. But that's what Mackie does: solid performance, indestructible products, decent price.

Wasabi the J posted:

Just slumming it with MR5 Mk3s.

Wasabi the J posted:

No lol just listening to videogames and music.

Nothing wrong with that. They're great desktop speakers, albeit lacking if you're trying to watch movies or whatever.
They are stupidly cheap though. So much so that I still don't understand why the CR3 is even a thing.
Is the $80 computer speaker market really that prominent? People can't just plunk down 250% more for something good?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Panty Saluter posted:

Random Access Memories is a pretty good sounding album though. Getting super-clean mellow right is a lot trickier than it seems

Good  dynamic  range  helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Serious post:
Does anyone know how the Monoprice Monolith AMT speakers stack up against Emotiv's Airmotiv?
I'm looking to throw some cheap but decent speakers together for a 5.1 in my living room.

I don't know if this should be more geared towards the HT thread, but I really just wanted to know about the ~sonic qualities~ of the two speakers and how they stack up so I figured this was a good place to start.