Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Page for the wall outlet posted:

A good-sounding AC wall outlet can be one of the biggest bang-for-the-buck upgrades in audio. Our meticulous listening experiments proved that to make a really good sounding outlet you need to incorporate:

• the thinnest, shortest possible brass contact strips to minimize skin effect

I know it's audiophilia, and thus, loving insane, but I laughed out loud at this part because this is the exact opposite thing you want to do to avoid the "skin effect".

Wikipedia about the skin effect posted:

Because the interior of a large conductor carries so little of the current, tubular conductors such as pipe can be used to save weight and cost.

I'm thinking now I need to make a smear campaign on this guy, and start reselling copper audiophile tubing as wiring. Gon' be rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

We tried extruding insulation on copper tubes for a customer. Unless your extrusion line is completely geometrically serial* for whatever impractical reason, have fun with that. Because it ended up in a comically bad catastrophe over here. Also, audiophiles dig our power cords for whatever reason. Knowing and actually seeing with what little care they're manufactured, I'm rather bewildered about that.

(*: As in no significant diversion-wheels. Just as an example, the extrusion line I work on has around 600 meters of copper in-flight at any given moment.)

I was just talking about regular copper piping, then plastidipping giving them a dielectric shielding treatment, after filling them with silica dioxide to control the low ends, as they "tend to travel deeper in the skin."

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 30, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Skeleton Ape posted:

Be sure to use audiophile-grade solder when sweating your speaker pipes.

Soldering heats the molecules too much, exciting them from their natural state, causing highs to become veiled. :colbert:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

gently caress that. I can deal with slightly muddied highs as long as it broadens the soundstage as well, but no way will I deal with veiled highs. I'd rather deal with reduced warmth in the bass than veiled highs.

Wanna job at my cable company?

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is brilliant. You could set a new high watermark in what can be charged for 'cables.'

Just make sure to use the thinnest possible copper pipe so it can kind of flex. That or offer a line of treated copper pipe junctions so people can plumb up their runs!

I'm just gonna sell them precision wood gripped wiring flexors

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 30, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

KillHour posted:

What does jumbled music even look like?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Philthy posted:

There is a forums out there where they looped the output into a recording device on a secondary machine and then compared against other 'bit perfect' playback programs. The wav forms were identical, fully zoomed in. Basically you can buy JRiver Media Center for like 30 bucks and it'll do bit perfect output and that is the best you're ever going to get from a machine. Full stop.

Foobar2000 does this for free, too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

He's talking about SNR which is very much an IF/RF thing. If your SNR's are good, you're going to get better accuracy with the decoding equipment.

Bit Errors are a real thing, guys. Just because it's "binary" doesn't mean it's just "on/off"; you can get MOST of the data needed, some or all. That being said, if it's video, it's definitely susceptible to things caused by interference, blocking and lost frames aside; but I'm not an expert at TV and Video, I just know that's the case with things like satcom modems.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Khablam posted:

Yes, it does. In fact, that is the literal definition of it.
SNR issues will almost never (in extreme unlikelihood) cause a bit to read flipped, and if it does the byte it was a part of is nonsensical, and the frame the byte helped make up will either block, or depending on cache technology, simply be re-read and delivered normally.*
The idea that bit errors can cause subtle errors (or a 'different' image .. less black blacks!) is pure audio/videophile nonsense, so don't subscribe to it.
I'm not having a go at you, but there are a lot of people (usually trying to sell you something) who come out with what you're saying, and the truth of it is there is really only two states - failed or working. Everything else amounts to "you could be getting a better picture and just don't know it!" which is sales pitch.

* Supported by USB & SCSI, making "this USB cable is better" arguments particularly laughable.

Sorry, what I was getting at was more along the lines of clarifying that broken data doesn't mean the signal just doesn't work; the implication that I was addressing was the commonly misunderstood "data either works or it doesn't" phrase -- which is true, but rarely to the point the entire data stream is lost.

I absolutely agree with everything you said though; I was again, arguing more that you CAN have a broken/hosed up data stream to your device and still get a picture.

Jago posted:

Also, wtf are you talking about "even though it is digital there is an analog component in there"?

"Digital" information through most mediums, including copper, are still analog impulses; those impulses are modulated and demodulated by the equipment, interpreting the analog electrical impulses and determining what the bits should have been from the transmitting source.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

I'm on Amazon browsing for a snazzy-looking USB cable for my new keyboard (just for aesthetics), and I came across this review for an $89 flat USB cable.

Steve "Disappointed" Dai posted:

I just bought a Meridian Explorer USB DAC, and it is wonderful. It has the meridian house sound which is detailed, musical, and non-fatigue. However the stock USB cable comes with it seems to be average grade, so I figure I can get better sound with a more expensive USB cable. I did some search and seem Wireworld Starlight is a good choice.

I received the new cable today, but after connecting it to my stereo, i was disappointed. The sound is closed, edgy, and non-musical. I switch back to the stock cable and everything is better. I will return it, and for $99 it is just worthy it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

grack posted:

I was on Head-Fi reading the IEM discovery thread because there's been some interesting new headphones released from KEF and Onkyo and then they started talking about cables and then someone said he was waiting for his cable to properly burn in and then :eng99:

Just when you think there might be a useful, interesting thread boom, right back to the stupidity.

Head-Fi was the place that turned me onto buying dumb headphones because I thought they knew what they were talking about, and seemed well moderated.

I should have known something was up before I got probated for talking about if someone double blind tested two rigs I was looking at.

And when someone was doing a legitimate review for like $1300 worth of equipment (described by some as an entry-level system) with J-Pop.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 4, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Can we probate any talk about Bluejeanscable? Include me as a loving example if necessary.

This isn't a banmepls post :ohdear:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 10, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Nuforce udac3 $125. Actual use reviews have been positive but people just looking at the spec sheets have been bashing its DR and distortion figures. Its predecessor the udac2 was also bashed for inaccurate specs but actual use reviews still positive.

Also according to Nuforce it doesn't have any power filtering on the USB +5V supply where as other DACs in that price range sorta-kinda do.

I will say, that with my uDAC I had a very annoying bias towards one ear. I would suggest something from Fiio.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

This has probably been posted before, but it deserves a second look.

Maybe the greatest troll in the audiophile world. Some people at a trade show take a poxy system worth $700 and put it up against a $12000 system in a blind test, using the same speakers but swapping the speaker cables over. Then they ask a bunch of audiophiles to pick their favourite.

As for the results, well I think that each can reach to its own conclussion...

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

My favorite part was that they had to remove the A/B switch because they felt it would be dismissed by the golden ear types as completely negating the process.

Also, fully illustrates the biggest and most important factor in your system is your speakers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Over a decade ago, a friend and I built a 2x500W subwoofer with a resonance box of more than a cubic meter (it was a gag for the local club). That would have shaken the goddamn house apart, and we hadn't even ever cranked it up to a 100%. What are at least two 1200W subs good for?

E-Peen.

Or really low-impedance speakers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

27kg. $1600 in 1977. 250 very real watts per channel. One hell of a beast.

Of you don't want an oscilloscope on your receiver, you're dead inside.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

grack posted:

I thought this was a great post from Head-Fi today:

PS: He's talking about the FRD80 and FXD80, headphones from JVC that differ only in that one has a microphone, and one doesn't. Same driver, same housing, same impedance, same sensitivty, etc. But hey, apparently "trained audiophile ears" can hear differences that don't exist.

Honestly though I have had one of those mini TRS jacks with the mic ring be hosed up but it was more like "one ear can't hear poo poo," than ~VEILED SOUNDSTAGE~

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

We really should take up a collection and start a business.

This but unironically.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

If you put enough current through it I'm sure.

The question is if you'll burn the card before detecting jitter.

I hadn't considered water cooling my audio card before... it's the last main component in my computer not on water dihydrogen monoxide.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I rebuilt it in iTunes on my end, then recreated the desired effect almost perfectly by just knocking up my desk fader up a few dB. Who knew!

I was able to recreate it by flicking the high and low boost switches on my MR5s to their +2 dB settings.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

KillHour posted:

Found your problem.

I know it's not in context here, but I really dislike automatic Bose hate. They aren't accurate and boy do you pay for them, but they have been doing the active noise cancellation game longer than anyone; so, if that's what you need,I always recommend them first.

I didn't care for them until I sampled a pair of QC320s in Dubai before a 12 hour flight. That was the most bearable time I'd taken the flight from Dubai to Atlanta.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

TyrantGuardian posted:

Am I drinking the cool aid here?

No; speakers themselves are one of the biggest factors in your sound quality. Decent encodings are what I would argue the second (not talking about going full :spergin: on your music collection, just making sure they're not some lovely 32k encode from 1998).

Real studio monitors (like the ones you picked up) normally sound magically clear in their sweet spot, as that's what they're designed to do.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbLVjHfHahg

Talking about speakers that reveal bad mixing or mastering, can anyone give examples of good and bad mastering in similar kinds of music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wJxpvw22g

The instructor in the first video only briefly mentions avoiding clipping and hyper-compression, so I wanted to add this next video because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea of the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-O5l6NSsdY

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 13, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

I'm in the process of making my desk look cool and idly looking around at some flat cables to connect to my monitors and USB devices (I think flat cables look cool) and ran across a $350 USB cable.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

jeffreyw posted:

The nouvelle riche in countries like China aren't exactly known for smart purchasing decisions because, from my impression, its entirely for bragging rights.

While working in a consumer electronics store, I could pretty much push anything to the those sort of customers so long I assured them that was the best. Even if it was clearly very cost inefficient.

We're talking about quad SLI desktop systems with an assembly fee inflated by 5x. They didn't even bother to ask about the insane assembly fee or whether or not the desktop was cost efficient, they just asked me the total price so they could hand me the correct amount of $100 bills.

I image its the same with audio products. They have a pretty huge boner for vacuum tubes right now.

It's not even localized to one race or income bracket. Consumers want the best but generally don't know enough to know what qualities make "the best" for their application; therefore, they will believe whatever they are told constitutes the best from endorsements of salespeople or celebrities, e.g. Beats by Dre are considered good by consumers because Dre is a producer, therefore a product by him would be a quality desired by producers.

Things start getting out of hand when consumers are armed with incorrect knowledge; a budding audiophile considers Beats and asks some hobbyists if they're good, and is warned away from them because of various reasons. The newcomer will often come away from this experience confused and now tries to resolve his problem with information that is incomplete or wrong -- money = quality, only if obscurity is greater than x.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 27, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Terminal Entropy posted:

Double blind testing means the person conducting the test is to be blinded just as well as the test subject.

"I don't know which one I'm giving you and you don't know which one you're getting."

ABX tests can be double blind:

"Here is sample A. New here's B. Here's X; was X either A or B?" where X is contorted by a computer/randomizer, and does not give any differentiating information between A or B.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

HFX posted:

Straight linear DC to feed the amp. No possibility of noise or power deviations. No need to worry about power outages?

As to external transformers, I say gently caress manufacturers who use them. I've often find them to be a huge source of rf noise that leaks into analog audio cables and raises the noise floor of my ham radio.

Hey hey, ho ho, wall warts have got to go.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is anyone selling audiophile batteries yet? I mean those aren't even Duracell Procell just the regular scrub ones what the gently caress is that guy thinking?

Duracell Procells are just regular Duracells with different printing. Also cheaper.

Take off Procell batteries and wrap them in foil stickers unobtanium sheilding.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

eggsovereasy posted:

I think they want Beats for the music subscription service, but the headphones seem popular and money is money.

Install Windows posted:

Yeah but the Beats subscription service is doing really horribly, and doesn't have that much in the way of selection and label contracts compared to other more popular subscription services.

I think it's mostly that Beats have all done all the legwork with music sub service, Apple has the library, and Beats is small enough to get bought out instead of having to develop it in house. Apple is desperately lacking an on-demand streaming service; right now their music dept. probably wants to close the gap between them and services like Google Music and Spotify.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

88h88 posted:

Is it a weird thing that I quite like having actual copies of music I like as opposed to just streaming it all? I just have this mild loathing of streaming ever since someone tried to entertain a houseparty by using a non-premium version of Spotify complete with adverts. It just boils my piss for some reason. If you like the music why wouldn't you have a copy, even if it was just a 320? Seems stupid to me, like a slacker's version of entertaining people.

When people come over to my place for a party I have hand selected playlists ready to go because it's great fun. Spotify just seems like a non participating way to listen to music, passive listening.

I pay my sub for Google play and it synced my current music with their library. I and other customers look at the annual cost ($120) as how much would be spent on albums in the first place.

My mothers both just last month switched over and now have already saved $40 over their previous habits with the iTunes store; they're big pop music fans and used to buy top album releases on iTunes, at $10 a pop, at two or three times a month on average so when they saved 4 albums to their phones and computers for no charge extra, I'm counting that as a savings.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

jonathan posted:

Gotta admit, a rack full of McIntosh gear would look pretty good in my theater room.

Whoa! There's an idea. A fake rack front, with chrome and dials and functioning meters that work off a simple circuit from your power bar measuring amperage draw, and another measuring volume per channel etc. Behind it is all your cheap pro audio gear and a huge tangle of power cords, hdmi and cat6.

even better, just wrap a home-theater-in-a-box receiver in a whole buncha shielding.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Thinking of the rare case of directional cables being a real thing, Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables are great. I use Monoprice cables for installations at work and can knock 4% ($1000) off the cost of a classroom installation from scratch, even with a spare of each cable the user can connect to on hand

Don't mention Monoprice here, it sets off the audiophiles goons-that-don't-buy-the-cheapest-thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

jonathan posted:

OK Everyone! Put up or loving shut up. The Philips Golden Ear challenge!

Golden ear training and blind A/B/C tests. Some of them are easy, some of them like the 6db coloration tests I couldn't do, atleast from my Samsung Chromebook. I think to get a good score, you would need to listen at near reference levels on decent calibrated speakers, like they do in studios.

Edit: Maybe I should provide a link: https://www.goldenears.philips.com

I wanna see how my computers do at home.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Avril Lavigne - Sk8r Boi second drop...

Back to ridiculing audiophiles:

quote:

Sk8er Bass test: a few deep bass notes in Avril Lavigne's Sk8er Boi off Let Go that some components and cables completely miss.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Isn't the vinyl business pretty much perfectly honed to aim at enthusiasts who care about style (and fancy gimmicks) first and price last? Not my personal cup of tea but if it was then crazy ideas like that would probably be pretty great in a "mp3/flac doesn't have that!" way. v:shobon:v

I guess maybe if you added 3 zeros to the price....

Yeah for $20 that sounds really neat; I think it's more of a novelty item since vinyl is dead, really.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I've just looked these up, and they just seem to be audio players for people in the gym. My Note 2 probably sounds better, right? Would I really not be able to tell the difference between 16bit FLAC and 24 bit 96khz FLAC? Is it a scam? drat these audiophiles!

You won't be able to tell; this is doubly true if your music is from :filez: because those are often encoded poorly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

That was an interesting read! Shatters my preconceptions about FLAC! How about if I bought albums directly from say HDtracks, they must sound better right? Or its very possible to that HD audio is a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zwjn7hgFV4

It's really down to how much attention you're going to pay to your music; if you're literally sitting there trying to hear every difference, you want every edge you can get with accuracy -- but most people don't do this; hell, I record someone as a serious hobby and I don't even care about it too much. People aren't focusing 100% of their conscious brainpower to listen to music, which is why I say it doesn't matter.

People "know" that compression is bad, but there's so much variation of what "compression" means to different people. To some, it's poor data compression, displayed best by the hissing/shimmering cymbals and ill-defined bass of early 2000's Napster files; to others, it's the compression of dynamic range, or loudness (which is a whole different :can:); others even think that compression is some kind of mystical quality that magic wires and vacuum tubes eliminate -- this one is the only one that's completely bullshit.

I have heard (I don't know where they are now) some tracks recorded at 16 kbps that are utterly clean and clear, but they were mastered flawlessly, and only had one instrument; I have also heard FLAC's that sound like poo poo because they originally were an mp3 Limewire encode from 2004.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Y'all are the ridiculous audiophile poo poo.

Some obscure-rear end soundtrack, and y'all have the copies for it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

I don't know why I hear people say "digging it up," and imagine that they are physically rummaging through piles of poo poo to find a 20 year old game CD.

So yeah, I'm sorry.

BANME.sh posted:

I don't remember what PC speakers I had in 1996 but I can guarantee they sounded like poo poo, and I probably didn't even know what a subwoofer was.

*digs out my quake demo disc*

My setup in 1999 was more ghetto. My PC audio out went to a tape deck adapter to my JVC 3-DISC CHANGER WITH LOTS OF LIGHTS bookshelf system that looked like this

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

quote:

Please note that the following is a “how to” not “why to” modify the 8554.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

GutBomb posted:

I can hear the difference between 128 and 360 but then I get listener fatigue :(

I can't ABX for poo poo, but I get fatigued when the whole albums dynamic range is crushed into the last dB available.

The Killers, especially with Battle Born, were guilty of some pretty aggressive loudness.