Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Doing something for the sake of convenience, aesthetics, or novelty is completely valid.

Insisting against all evidence to the contrary that your choices have affected the performance of your system is fair game for ridicule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a huge fan of my Scarlett 2i2, as I use Mackie MR5s as my computer speakers, so I need balanced outputs and a volume knob.

Sorry your unit is not doing good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chinese to English auto translate posted:

I went back and forth to listen, and I didn't hear any difference.

If you have always used a degaussing device and a user who affixes a disc, and hear a difference, don't try this product, it may help you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You should probably just use whichever.

Passthrough seems to really only affect surround audio. Leaving it enabled means you can also enjoy Dolby headphone effects in games and programs that support it.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 27, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ruflux posted:

Looking at the cool speakers posted here, I'll be honest: if I was rich I'd totally buy audio equipment on the basis of sounds good to my ears but also looks good according my tastes at the time. I've always had this kinda dumb dream of owning a full set of Genelecs solely because they look so unusual relative to most other high-end monitors or even speakers in general, but that's definitely in the realm of "if I ever won the lottery" because I don't see the point in spending crazy amounts of money on audio.

This is why I have Magnapan MMGWs still. Got them in my apartment living days, so they were good at lower volume, but now I have a house proper, they're not always punchy enough

They'll do, for now though and will likely find their way into my office or something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's all just slapped together from my apartment kit.

We have not decided what paint we want to cover the brown with, and I recently lost my job, so I've been focusing on other projects that don't cost hundreds or take days to complete.

The TV is on an articulating mount mostly to the left of, and in front of the fireplace. The fireplace only radiates around 180F at the glass, and any heat that radiates to the TV only makes it slightly warm to the touch after 6 hours.

This mount is bolted to a solid beam inside and along the front edge of the shelf. It is positioned at an angle so that all seats on both the couch and the sectional have a decent view of the screen.

The receiver I think I got around 200 bucks, and the speakers for 350. The only room treatment is pointing my speakers to where I'll be sitting, and whatever dampening the art we have up on the walls does.

Thank you for allowing me to defend my cheap then, free now stereo system along with the design in my house over an impromptu picture I took in my gym shorts. I hope my choices did not upset you too much.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 25, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

repiv posted:

Could you kick up the uh, 2c3d3d3?

Add sequence: VISCERAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGE-w3wjEE

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I had my speakers backwards all these years. :doh:

I had to reference the manual for a sanity check, (which wires are positive and negative), and reading further along, I realized I misread the sentence describing the front and back.

System sounds noticeably better now because I fixed a DSP issue between the TV and receiver, and recalibrated my levels. They are planar speakers, so aside from occasional interference, I didn't notice before.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

XBenedict posted:

Ceramic tile is garbage, and not just for acoustics.

Truth, but I don't mind it for cooling and cleaning being a desert dweller with two dogs.

I have a rug taking up most of the living room though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yikes dude

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure I threw that thing at enemies n Half-Life 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGcBwbuYjRk

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I don't PC anymore but I was very happy with my Scarlett 2i2 and Mackie MR5 setup.

Balanced audio and a big chunky volume knob.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Honestly the Mackie cr5bt and the miniDSP 2x4 has been aces for me. A little expensive, but DSP is magic

Yeah some DSP would've been great! Though the volume knob was my must have and the Scarlett one is on the dac so you don't have to worry about software wonkiness.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
DisplayPort was always my favorite

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I found out there's a huge HiFi store down the street from me.

Is it against the rules to window shop to the poop?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is playground sand expensive??

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZK8Z8hulFg

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't wait for Techmoaner to reveal that he is basically deaf.

I'm pretty sure he's stated that several times.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Some poo poo literally cause ringing in the ears but IDK how measurable it would be.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

5er posted:

I agonized for a bit over which thread my weird question would be right for, so apologies in advance if this is a miss.

I have a stock car stereo in a 2015 Nissan Sentra that can play music and acknowledge playlists from iPods. It's been working fine for three years now with my really old iPod Nano. The Nano will break eventually, Apple doesn't make them any more, and I will never own an iPhone and I have no interest in the 'touch'.

Are there any mp3 players that anyone knows of, third party to Apple, that would be compatible with or emulate the 'iPod' connectivity that the car stereo would work with?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520908

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah room correction is huge and I wish I had it.

Even basic stuff I've played with.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean that's sexy as hell tho and capacitors can't be THAT pricy can they?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LRADIKAL posted:

You are ruining this thread! There's another thread for quick audio questions and opinions!

Stuff like this! Portable headphone amp for 700$! Not the best audio quality, but pretty fair for the very low price!
https://www.audioadvice.com/mcintos...ZxoCHlEQAvD_BwE

This is the other thread for newbies too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

qirex posted:

DACs are a solved problem, all the manufacturer can do is chase zeros on the spec sheet [Benchmark], make the signal slightly worse [Schiit] or put it in an extremely ugly case [Chord, Cyrus]. The DAC in my receiver which does high res PCM, DSD, crossover, volume control and EQ costs two dollars from AKM. There's a running thread in the AVS 2 channel forum where a guy recorded a song through an $8 Apple USB C DAC, through a cheap cable that's too long then back through a cheap desktop interface and had a Foobar ABX test against the original file. Nobody has been able to tell the difference when testing but there's a whole lot of people who won't take the test and want to yell at him for hundreds of pages.

Hahaha I went FiiO, Schiit, Focusrite.

My Scarlett died 😭 I needed those balanced outputs and volume knob for my Mackies.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
When the device is on, the trigger signal is a constant 12v ~100mA.

This low current signal can be used to trigger any variety of functions and is limited really only by your imagination. You can have a trigger turn on your sub after your receiver is turned on, you can have a trigger drop a screen when a projector is on, etc. Many home theater devices have trigger inputs built in as well, which is how they're most commonly used.

It's really just a constant weak 12v current that is sent out of a TRS jack to let other things know the controlling device is on.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Spazzle posted:

I'll assume this isn't a troll post you quoted. Why even key out the track? Wouldn’t the secondary tranfer groove be sufficient?

That's a bold assumption.

https://twitter.com/noimjory/status/1321896911138394112?s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Please be careful the acetone could EASILY dissolve the plastic domes.

Next time, hot glue on "low" pops off easily for temp bonds.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I wonder if they are doing something tricky.

I like my little Energy M6 and it goes low loud enough to rattle the glasses, not not enough to really "feel" it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Looks fine on Android Awful App

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DancingShade posted:

I won't be happy until an audiophile buys their own private satellite to stream ripped Beatles vinyl from their living room to their bedroom.

Are you suggesting over several hundred ms of latency???

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Qwijib0 posted:

Gotta age those bits in the unfiltered sunlight of space so the right parts mellow for that perfect warm sound

The earth's magnetic sphere is always shifting! The only way to replicate the sound is to have a machine travel back into time and capture the actual event.

Wait wasn't doc brown building a huge speaker system in back to the future?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Literal old timey mad professor madness.

The Dr Bronner of audiophilia.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You'd likely need elephant ears to hear the difference.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Firstly, elephants communicate with infrasound.

Secondly

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B95AcbUCm1Y

Super fun to demo on anything with bass.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I recently had to buy a sound card to get the right connectors for my receiver, and it came with a lighting kit.

I can only imagine the love/hate from audiophiles over whether that’s good or bad, but it’s the sort of slap fight I’d go behind the tennis courts to watch after school.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That is exactly why they want that.

That or some fantastical input hijacking.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Increasingly I think I would spend thousands on building my own speakers for the hell of it as my halo system.

I love experimental poo poo and the science behind it, but after a few hundred bucks, it's just paying for the marketing -- and I'm not interested in being some kind of golden ear, so why not take a shot at making something that's going to at least be "good enough" and fully custom?

There's a cutout above my TV/fireplace wall that I daydream about turning into a huge speaker array.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thread rule suggestion: any time someone mentions buying special cables they have to post the price of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ok Comboomer posted:

not to be one of those people but like
“Magnepans don’t really make bass” is one of those “water is wet” conclusions

The big expensive ones do pretty drat well; the LRS just doesn't have the mass, but yeah they are not worth the price.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 8, 2021