Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
90% of people are very happy with sub-$150 speakers/headphones for their computer. And are very unlikely to drop more than $500 for the whole living room. What's the point of marginal gains when the neighbor's kids are shouting and the AC is on?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm pulling this number out of my bum but I will be very surprised if someone can prove I'm wrong: about 100% of people are very happy with sub-30€ speakers/headphones for their computer (there's a lot of people with computers and speakers, and the models that seem to run out the quickest are the 29,90€ sets on sale).

30-60 freedom dollars is probably the top selling price point for new 2.0 & 2.1 speakers by several orders of magnitude. But people seem to be willing to drop more on headphones so I left that a little more open.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

qirex posted:

Someone should sell LSD as an "audio enhancement supplement" for like $200 a pop.

Hey now, that might actually work.
And if it the product actually works, then the user might gently caress up and make his set sound worse instead of feeling that sweet sweet placebo.

quote:

1 out of 5 stars
Started great, very rich tones and perfect base, laughed at the lyrics like it was the first time listening. But then I got stuck in a time loop and watched myself grow old.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 18, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

polyester concept posted:

I can't find it now, but there's an interview with Wayne Coyne about The Flaming Lips' album Zaireeka. It was released on four CDs, each of which were supposed to be played simultaneously on four separate CD players with varying adjustments made to the volume and panning (at the listener's whim). He said something about discovering that CD players were not all that precise as they thought, because while the band was demoing the album they would press play simultaneously, but by the end the players were all noticeably out of sync with each other by a few seconds. I am guessing the time span was across the entire album, not just one song though.

I remember this experiment being mentioned in the liner notes for the surround sound mix of Yoshimi. But not the specifics of why it failed.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Is your current set broken?

No? Then don't buy a new one.

I really don't get how people buy new audio/visual systems more than once every 5-10 years.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Even 5 years seems too often, unless you were just upgrading one piece of your system.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

All that's missing is the lovely framed movie posters. Suburban tract housing sure does suck the life out of you.

I bet doing some wall treatments would have done more for your "soundscape" than blowing thousands of dollars on the ugliest speakers you could find.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

metallicaeg posted:

I don't really think those speakers are ugly, though I would have gone without a glossy finish and can't dream of a scenario where two gently caress-off subs are needed over one gently caress-off sub. They still look better than whatever the painfully 90's speakers were there before.

But then again my speakers are Cerwin Vega and my movie area consists of a cold, unfinished basement with cement floor, a cheap area rug, and a disappointing 6' ceiling height to exposed floor beams. So I'm sure my squalor-level duplex would also be laughed out of the thread.

I respect the squalor more than the boring suburbia

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm not saying you need to spring for hardwood or leave things bare, but you could go for a carpet color that isn't bland and actually paint the walls {white, or} a dark enough color for a theater.

And disguise those speakers and woofers because :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Good news if you're looking to buy a Range Rover in the future, they're putting in hi res audio capabilities into their cars! Y'know cars, those perfect listening environments that are super quiet so you can really make use of that extra dynamic range afforded by 24bit audio!

Friend just told me they've had a demo and it sounds good. Of course there's nothing to AB test it with and the car's static. What is the point?

Arguably, a car at rest could be a better listening environment than a living room. The speaker locations relative to the seat are precisely known, there's plenty of soft materials on the walls, and the degree of soundproofing that keeps out road noise also blocks background.

Of course that's compared to a typical home setup and not someone who cares about Hi Res Audio in the first place.