Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Oh man, I tried those things in Best Buy, too. I thought they were broken. I'm normally not all spergy about what other people choose to spend their money on, but it bugs me in a very special way when I see someone who spent $300 on Beats because... well, famous people have them and they're expensive so they must be really good, right? :argh: Do you have any idea what kind of awesome, actually good headphones you could have gotten for that kind of money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Be sure to use audiophile-grade solder when sweating your speaker pipes.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I've ordered quite a bit from Monoprice and I seem to end up with a lot of cables that are too tight. I have to really force and twist them to get them on and off. In the grand scheme of things I guess it's better than too loose, though.

I've always thought RCA was kind of a goofy design to begin with. Is there a reason BNC connectors never caught on with consumer products?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

A sort-of solution I've found for too-tight cables is to twist them while connecting and disconnecting, like a screwing motion. It breaks the static friction and lets them slip on and off a little easier without putting tons of stress on your jacks. Still a pain in the rear end, though.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Pfft, you guys are actually throwing down 89¢ for RCA cables? You know 90% of that cost is just marketing, right? Real audiophile-ridiculers use a couple of straightened coat hangers wrapped in electrical tape, there is absolutely no reason to pay more. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

:shrug: It's hard to make coat hangers interface with RCA jacks correctly. (Also, I'm turning 35 next week and I don't think I've ever seen a wire coathanger in my entire life. They're all plastic or wood around here. It would probably cost me more than a € to find and buy one.)

Yeah, I know, dumb joke. My point is that whatever you buy, no matter how inexpensive it is, there will always be strangers on the Internet who get mad at you for paying too much.