Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
http://tidalhifi.com/us

On-demand, 16-bit FLAC streaming. $20/mo, with a free 7-day trial to start. Kinda tempted, but Apple has me so tied to my iTunes library (playcounts, playlists, etc.) that it's really hard to take any streaming option seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

KillHour posted:

Or you could just get Spotify for half that and stream in 'extreme' quality.

And here, let me free you from your iTunes hell:

https://support.spotify.com/us/problems/#!/article/Convert-Playlists-to-Spotify

Spotify has last.fm integration, if you want to keep track of your playcounts. It can also play music stored locally on your computer if you have iTunes albums not available through the streaming service.

You really have no excuse.

Nah, I'm pretty reliant on smart playlists at this point. New songs get cycled in pretty frequently, with a separate playlist of songs I haven't heard in a while. I've never been one to just shuffle my library, and couldn't imagine manually maintaining one.

EDIT: I think Spotify free is great for finding or sampling new songs, but I still like getting deep into my own library. The smart playlists keep the "loved" songs on hand, while shuffling in enough "liked" songs to keep things fresh, all without me having to think too much about it. I sort of feel that the "liked" songs tend to get lost in something like Spotify - I don't necessarily want a 3-star song in my "Starred" or "Saved" playlist, but having it pop up randomly every six months or so is still nice.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 29, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BurritoJustice posted:

To clarify further, Spotify streams .ogg at 96/160/320kbps for the three settings, which is more than you'll ever need.

Actually was coming to see if people had thoughts on Tidal. I've been using the 1-week free trial and a) really like the option for full CD-quality FLAC , in addition to 320kbps and 96kbps AAC (particularly when streaming through my stereo system) and b) just find the user experience to be better conceived than Spotify (the Spotify thread is sharpening their pitchforks over the newest version). It's $20/month, but I feel it's worth it just for the UX, plus they seem to be getting ready for some big move (they've got a countdown clock and have killed the branding for their standard service "WiMP").

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So, I've decided to subscribe to Tidal at least until Apple does their thing in May. I will say, though, that I might stick with Tidal even if everyone else flips the switch on FLAC audio - the app itself is just more enjoyable for me to use than the alternatives.