Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

If I remember right, MAD Magazine put out a flexi disc bound into one of their issues that was listed as one track, but actually had 8 concentric tracks with variations of the song that got progressively weirder depending on where you dropped the needle.

Yeah, I had that. It was called It's a Super Spectacular Day or something like that. I don't know if it was eight tracks but it was definitely more than two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Stereophile reviews a setup at a high-end audio show where the cost of the power cables alone is more than double that of the main speakers:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2014-another-class-entirely

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

grack posted:

Aww, it can't be that...

And there are absolutely $100K+ speakers out there, but this system:

Loudspeakers: Wilson Audio Sasha II ($30,900/pair)
2 x Wilson Watchdog subs ($9800/each)
2 x Wilson Controller ($4000/each)

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Over $15000 per individual speaker cable, and here I am from time to time wondering if I should really spend a few bucks a piece on Neutrik connectors instead of cheap stuff.

Do you connect and disconnect your speakers all the time? Do you set up your speakers in a place where they are likely to be jostled a lot? If you said no to both of these questions, you do not need a Neutrik connector.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

I attended RMAF this year and sat in this room. I was bored stupid. Wilson has the most "audiophile" sound of any room there every year. Extremely low distortion but boring as all get out, in large part because Peter McGrath (Wilson's director of sales) has terrible taste in music.

I gather you can't ask them to put on your own music unless you're John Atkinson?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

88h88 posted:

Neutrik make really good poo poo and in the grand scheme of things audio related, are really loving cheap. I'm also a fan of Amphenol stuff.

Fair enough, I'm an Amphenol fan too and Kozmonaut makes a good point, I was just thinking about speakon connectors.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

After i win the lottery i'll start buying audiophile systems for 100k only if they accurately reproduce the fine crackle of my 1995 64kbps SoAD mp3s and can recreate the warm sound and intense range of Skrillex remixing Ke$ha feat Justin Bieber.

If it gives one of those frauds a stroke would it be considered the perfect murder?

I really, really want to troll high end audio dealers by very seriously asking to hear specific high dollar setups and then giving them a cassette tape to play.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

The funny thing about this is that since tapes are analog, they automatically get higher respect than MP3s among a large swath of audiophiles. Never mind the fact that cassette tapes have no more than 6 or 7 bits worth of "resolution" in them on a good day, utilizing the best playback equipment. If you actually tried to carry out this troll, there's a good chance the dealer wouldn't even bat an eye.

This is way too funny to me. I do a lot of work with cassette tape people but no one's pretending that any of this is high quality, it's just cheap. These folks would put out a record in a heartbeat if they had the money. Do high-end audio stores really have a cassette deck on hand?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I don't know about modern equipment, but I come across a lot of people who swear by equipment made in the 80s

Jesus, the 80s stuff is such plastic cost-cutting garbage. Even the high-end stuff from the major names is pretty universally terrible, especially compared to the 70s offerings.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

When I got to college many years ago I met a couple of guys who swore buy using Cat5 ethernet cable twisted all together at both ends as speaker cable. So sort of the poor man's Kimber Kable I guess. I think I might still have a pair somewhere that I made when I was hanging out with them. From what I can find online Cat5 is 24 gauge, but is that for each strand or the whole thing? And how would that math work, my brain is fuzzy after all these years, we're summing volumes of cylinders...

I also have two runs of Kimber 4PR that one of the guys gave me, and I use it to this day. I have no reason not to use it, it's held up just fine and if I wasn't using it'd be using 12 gauge oxygen free copper from Monoprice or wherever. Is there any science to the stranding at all or does it just look pretty?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

Twisted pair and star quad are genuinely better for noise rejection but you could equally remove the iPhone charger from your cable

So the sort of noise that was being rejected was primarily noise from active close-contact sources? That makes total sense to me, I just want to confirm. And it would have made much more sense in a dormitory environment than it does in the real world.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

You can measure significant reductions in noise coupled into your cables if they are twisted pair and even less for star quad since it also rejects magnetic fields more effectively

But it basically doesnít matter unless you have a noise source nearby (smps like chargers are common) or your signals are sensitive like microphones

If you have a ton of cat5 sitting around sure knock yourself out

I do actually have a ton of cat5e right now, a contractor bought a 500 foot reel for a project at work and ended up using less than half of it so I got the rest. I make myself regular ethernet runs for use at work/home when I need it but that's maybe 10 feet at a time max.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Cat5 and cat 5e don't make a great speaker cables.
The gauge is too thin to be used over long distances. Also they're fairly high capacitance and that could gently caress up your amp or at the very least, cause high frequency loss. (not likely to be noticeable unless you have supersonic hearing.)
If you try to remedy this by twisting all the white pairs together and the solid color pairs together, then you've got a problem because the number of twists per inch varies between each pair. This is done to reduce crosstalk between the pairs, but the result is that each pair will have a different impedance.

Besides, after all that work you would only wind up with an 18 gauge wire anyway, which means you still can't use it for a very long run. For optimum performance 10 feet would be the max on an 8ohm load, half that for a 4ohm speaker.

Okay, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I was thinking about using it for a pair of these ridiculous huge things that I inherited and don't intend to have anywhere near the amp: http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi201.htm but even with the 16 ohm setting I think I don't necessarily trust the cat5 so I won't be a tightwad and I'll just buy regular 12 gauge speaker cable.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Are there any actual 100% copper cables anymore? Seems like every time I search all that shows up is CCA

e: seems mediabridge is. welp

I was looking at buying this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2747. They also sell fancier stuff that is pre-terminated.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

They have a bridge to sell you!

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn-bridge/

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Magnets on cables are nothing new in the world of scammery, but I bring you the next level:

Magnets for your optical cable!
https://www.highfidelitycables.com/digital/reveal/

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Aaaaahhhhhhhh whyyyyyyyyyy it's loving nail polish for your stereo

https://www.highfidelitycables.com/Nanoparticle/NPS1260.php

oh, sorry, your "audio system"

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Ugh, the EQ settings on that Pioneer 1250 are pretty extreme. Either he doesn't actually like the sound of those speakers or all of that equipment in that small room is doing bizarre things to the sound.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That makes me wonder if audiophiles are going for solar power. Imagine, your electricity doesn't have to flow through all that filthy commoner wiring before it mates with your precious gear. Now you can control the purity of the power all the way into your system. And the music would have to sound warmer if the gear is powered by the sun.

brb, making a 10x normal cost "audiophile" power inverter

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

njsykora posted:

I want to know what headphones this guy is plugging this cable into.
https://twitter.com/gapingmaws/status/1391720346282127363
E: Never mind found the review it's an IEM cable. A $2,800 IEM cable.

What is it with those clear stranded cables becoming super popular all of a sudden? The Hifiman headphones I just got came with one. A cheap one, but still, it would have probably been easier and at least as inexpensive to ship a regular cable.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

TheGoonspiracist posted:

I dip my cable ends in icy hot.

Whoa there, let's keep it family friendly in here.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

And what if I donít have enough seals for my cables? Will sea lions do in a pinch?

I found that sea lions actually made my soundstage more howlographic.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

new goon project idea: letís start an audiophile company

Didn't this already happen? I seem to remember that it was absolutely batshit crazy "no one will ever buy this" products and yet it was somehow no crazier than things I've seen being sold with a straight face recently.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

Sometimes I can't tell what the thread makeup is between people making fun of audiophiles and then audiophiles that think they're not the sort that we make fun of because they don't use cable risers or whatever that post in here.

"Takes one to know one."

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

KillHour posted:

So there I am, drinking and complaining about how Bluetooth speakers are too small to be any good while absentmindedly browsing guitar center on my phone.

That's a 12" SVS sub next to it for scale.

So... is it any good? Because size is not exactly an indicator of that, and PA speakers (which this would appear to be) are not exactly known for impressive sound quality. And I would assume that it's mono?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

The capability to go really loud is great, but what's most important is the capability to go loud with low distortion. A really great concert system can sound like a good home hifi on steroids. Clean and dynamic and loud.

Distortion makes things sound artificially louder, but loud clean sound is beautiful.

I agree, but a $700 Mackie speaker with a "2000W CLASS D!!!" amplifier and every digital bell and whistle they could throw in it isn't exactly my idea of quality. I'm not even sure why it was posted in this thread.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

It's also a render, right?

I don't think so. If you are ripping people off for the kind of money they are, you can almost certainly afford some really nice wire stripping equipment and a good macro photography rig.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Oh no... they just ripped apart a Pro-Ject turntable? So they're taking an entry level belt drive system and turning it into... this? I mean, I know people get obsessed with mass and anti-resonant bases, but

e: a Rega turntable, no better.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I kinda like it. Also you missed these.

"delivery anywhere in the Deep South can be arranged" I think I found the answer to what is going on here.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

I looked it up and the resonant frequencies of concrete are actually pretty gnarly. You've got big spikes at 10kHz and up, so even assuming that you've managed to cancel any possible resonance down in the standard un-braced wood area (~200-1000Hz, depending on cabinet size and material) you've just shifted those resonances higher rather than eliminating them.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

KillHour posted:

This gives me an idea for a listening room on a giant seismologically isolated platform. You know, so the sound of plate tectonics doesn't get in the way of your enjoyment of *reads notes* The Sheffield Track & Drum Record.

Excuse me, I will not have any of that trash in my listening room. I exclusively demo new systems with The Cardas Sweep Record, or a DSD rip of it made on $50k worth of equipment.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

There's nothing an audiophile loves more than a dead format, the less convenient the better [see the recent interest in reel to reel].

This is spot-on. I keep equipment for playing obsolete formats because I do a lot of work transferring old recordings; my clients need me to have a working DAT deck, a working Minidisc deck, a working R2R, etc. But on my own time you couldn't pay me to use any of those. I've never quite figured out why people cling to them, but I think it's a combination of "you casual listeners wouldn't understand" snobbery and the belief that because a technology wasn't picked up by the mainstream it must mean that it's superior in some way. FFS, there are dudes who are into the Elcaset and are seriously recording music onto and listening to that format.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, if you havenít just abandoned some cabs are you truly a bassist? The 1x15 was left at a friends house and the 4x10 I left at a venue id go to all the time and when I stopped giggling I told them to keep it for backline. Neither cost me a huge amount and space in my house was more a premium than the money spent.

I hope theyíre still out there doing their thing, like those magical pants that the girls in the movie sent to eachother.

I play bass through a magical pair of pants, if you know what I mean

I got one of those Fender Rumble Class D amps that weigh almost nothing compared to a regular amp and I've never looked back. TBH I don't gig with it much but when I do carry it out somewhere it's so much nicer to have an integrated amp that weighs less than just a head.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Just in case you were worried that this thread had gotten away from its original purpose, may I present...

A USB->USB box with almost certainly no meaningful circuitry inside, for the low low intro price of $300! Take advantage now while supplies last!

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/produ...WlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

"Honestly if someone had told me they had swapped out my DAC for some upper-tier $5-10K component Iíd have believed them." Honestly, if someone told me they had taken my DAC and instead hit me over the head with a shovel while taking my wallet and playing all of my music through a 20W Class D amp I'd have believed them!

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

polyester concept posted:

these guys are just so close to truly understanding why $20 worth of components marked up to $500 sounds "as good" as the same components marked up to $5000.

More $ = better than; you plebes will never understand. There's so much more "soul" that goes into a $4800 markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

I googled "USB regenerator" and was unable to find anything that was not crazy overpriced audiophile ridiculousness. If you're that concerned about the jitter in your USB signal (which is to begin with) why wouldn't you just get a higher quality source?

I have had issues with digital signals before and you know what? They're really, really easy to hear. I had an S/PDIF coax cable that was getting wacky amounts of EM interference and it was clearly audible as pops. I also had a TOSlink cable that was failing and it was clearly audible as dropouts. As others have said over and over your digital signal is either 100% or it's very obviously wrong.