Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think the issue with writing on CDs is that the top is less protected than the bottom. Buying used CDs scratches on the top are less frequent but they frequently ruin the disc because it goes through to the data layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Forget vinyl, there's a ton of music that was released on CD that has never been released digitally.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did anyone ever use DAT tapes outside of live concert recordings? Back in the 90s saying something came from a DAT master meant it was probably very high quality

Of course now I wonder whether the DAT had much to do with it other than tape-flipping issues, perhaps people that could afford to use DAT could also afford better microphones

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I mean DAT are still digital. Hard drives have the same operating principles.*

*I have no idea how DAT encodes things, but like, magnets and data.

MP3s are digital too but not lossless.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The problem with SACD is that it might as well be vinyl as far as listening to it in the car or on your PC.