Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Who wants to say I'm sorry
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

shortspecialbus posted:

My Helix and studio monitors use XLR but I guess that's not at all what you're saying since I use those for guitar/bass playing and mixing with Reaper and that's pretty much what they're for.

I do use them for music and such as well I guess.

Studio gear often does use XLRs, but I definitely don't see it much on hifi. Though it looks like they're maybe expecting you to outfit your studio with that poo poo? LOL, sure, I'll totes use this wooden non-specific "LAN" cable for routing my DAWs...I bet it makes the recordings off my Tascam sound "brighter" or "warmer" somehow, yeah?

Sent the photos to my studio partner, who wrote back, "WHAT EVEN" and hasn't been heard from since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

stevewm posted:

Let's all start floating this idea out on the various audiophile forums.. And then laugh when all the pictures of soldered "interconnects" and power cords start rolling in.

i SOLDERED THE POWER CABLE DIRECTLY TO MY DAC! THE SOUND STAGE IS SO MUCH MORE OPEN NOW, MORE SO THAN ANY OTHER MOD I HAVE EVER DONE! SOLDER ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS NOW!

Wait, wait, I have a thought: AUDIOPHILE GRADE SOLDER.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

XBenedict posted:

66645 Ķg Pb / 133.329 Ķg Sn (5000:1 ratio)*

*Controlled environment (12įC | 12.46% humidity | 30.28 inHg)

You'll also need this flux*, which is molecularly pure to enhance the flow of electrons for the proper warmth and depth of audio reproduction.

*It's not even flux. It's just some melted down Carmex I found in my ex's car's center console, and I WAS gonna throw it away...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Panty Saluter posted:

Oof. Not that they were super high end or anything but that's still a long and sad slide

It's like when my dad got a new car, and then called to tell me he was excited for me to come home and play my music on it, cuz it came with a Bose speaker system.

:smith:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

KillHour posted:

Bose has always been terrible.

Explain that to my dad.

Cuz I haven't been able to do so.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

LRADIKAL posted:

I think this thread should have a rule that any posts of user equipment should require a price tag. How much is that speaker?

https://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW

$325 ain't bad, especially for a pair.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

phongn posted:

Weirdest thing happened to me in real life:

I'm sick with yet another cold brought home from daycare. I go get soup for lunch, because soup makes things better. On a lark, I look at RME's crazy gear because the crazy guys on ASR measured them. (Worry not, I am not spending $1K on a DAC when my ODAC is just fine).

Some guy starts asking me about it and then claims it's "low-end gear", that tubes are better and if that RME stuff was really high end why it'd be priced like $200K audio jewelry.

WHILE I'M HAVING SOUP.

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to hear the good word of our lord and savior, tube amps made of exotic hardwoods that add warmth and presence to your sound for tens of thousands of dollars?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Moral of the story is Mackie, Scarlett good

This.

Also loving my MOTU 16a. But that's overkill as hell for this situation.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Wait, it's even not the laser turntable that doesn't touch your vinyl? :frogout:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Panty Saluter posted:

Unfortunately those kind of suck, especially for the price

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/elp-lt-1lrc-laser-turntable/

Hah, that's a bummer. It'd be cool to be able to, say, clean and scan a platter and have that converted into a digital file (I mean, I used to run the tech side of my dad's LP/cassette tape digitizing business in high school, and not having to do everything in realtime would have been a huge resource saver), but I can see where tracking with a no-contact method would be difficult. Still, if someone threw $200k at the problem...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

fishmech posted:

Both of these are somewhat awkward things to pull off and there isn't typically an easy ready-to-run program around, but various researchers and companies have the capabilities.

I figured it's been done, it's just a bummer that it's not something that's feasible for the average consumer to purchase.

My ex has a record collection that's taking up a significant portion of my apartment, and he's headed back this week to start digitizing and selling it off, and now I'm realizing how long this is gonna take, which is why, "why can't I just buy a drat record scanner?" is on the brain :sigh:

It's like realizing you just got monkey's-pawed when you start working for your favorite record label, and then realize storing and shipping vinyl is a massive pain in the rear end.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

qirex posted:

I'm stuck in a dilemma of wanting to get rid of my records but not wanting to buy a record player to rip them because it means I'll start buying vinyl again [can't resist a bargain bin].

tfw you invite someone over to your house for the first time, and they see all the vinyl you have, nod sagely, and say, "I see you've also got a problem with the black crack."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

polyester concept posted:

why do people want to digitize their old records? I can't imagine the average person has that many vinyl-only releases that have not already been available on CD or whatever other digital format for decades by this point. The only reason not to buy it on a new digital format is if your time is worthless.

Elentor posted:

B) The music isn't available anywhere else, either on the Internet or even on CDs.

It's this.

My ex has a bunch of super rare jazz, techno, ambient, and drum n bass, and a lot of dnb dubplates, which are basically one-off records in a lot of cases. In my dad's business's case, it was more that we were doing that poo poo in the late 90s, before digital music was a thing, and a lot of things people in our town had on vinyl weren't available on CDs. It's better now, but a lot of the vintage stuff is still un-digitized.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is why raiding places like what.cd is a bad thing because it probably had more stuff in its archives, including different versions of lots of records, than anywhere else. I believe Jason Scott managed to get a complete dump of the site at least.

I miss What.cd. They were great when I had to DJ vinyl and then found out at the last second that it was just CDJs at the venue.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

fishmech posted:

There were quite a number of those designs in the 70s and 80s, and a variant of that sort of needle mechanism was used for playback of the CED format of video discs (which used discs with a physical groove in them). I don't think they've been manufactured in large quantities since the 90s though.

Some of the fanciest ones were capable of flipping the needle around so that both sides of a record could be played without the user having to remove the record and flip it over, such as the one featured in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oeTqAogMvA

Naturally tho, in those dual side playing ones skipping on the traditional platter arrangement means the whole thing requires quite a bit more complexity all around and you certainly get more need for maintenence and repairs.

How does the reverse side work? Is there some kind of tension on the needle to make sure it keeps the right connection to the groove? Sorry, that's probably in the video, but I'm on mobile and trying to puzzle out how you'd do that with physical contact involved. I know there are Laserdisc players with the laser capable of flipping onto a second carriage and reading the bottom side of the disc, and even that had technical limitations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

I have one of those. It's magical, it makes everything recorded thru it sound amazing, and I don't care if it's a black box inside. (They're probably hiding some proprietary germanium chip routing or some poo poo...I know some guitar pedal manufacturers do the same thing.)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

I feel like the kinds of people who build and sell those devices are the kids from your street who were always telling people at school, "Yeah, I have a Super Nintendo TWO. It's way better than the original Super Nintendo. No, you can't come play it, my dad won't let anyone but me touch it. It's very expensive and you've never see anything like it."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Window shopping isn't touching, yeah?

The hifi/car stereo store back home is not something that deserves to be in this thread, remarkably. My dad's been shopping there for ages, and I always turned my nose up at them until last winter when we needed a weird HDMI cable and they were our only option without driving 2+ hours to the next town over that might have a Best Buy. Turns out the owner knows my dad (high school teacher in a small town, he knows everyone), and went on a rant about one of his clients had been hosed over by an unscrupulous installer who sold him on snake oil cables and poo poo.

You're alright, angry small town hifi dude.

...the shop is also decorated with a quantity of taxidermied elk heads that's impressive even for Montana.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

iospace posted:

They sell audioquest cables.

You know, of the 1k HDMI cable fame. Admittedly it's more reasonable in terms of pricing but still.

I'm so glad I went to the department store with my dad when he got his first HDTV. They tried to sell him Audioquest cables, and I asked the sales rep to demo the difference between a cheap cable and an expensive one, while explaining to my dad how digital signals work. It was beautiful watching the rep get progressively sweatier as I went into detail on how analog signals need certain transmission characteristics, but if your stream of 1s and 0s gets interrupted, you just get glitches and drop-outs. Eventually he gave up on trying to hook up the test unit to do a demo and we moved on.

Dad ended up spending $12 on an HDMI cable that he's still using today.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

I just want enough money for a decent vocal/instrument recording booth and some professional sound treatment.

Okay, I'm lying. I'd totally build a floating room in my basement with its own conditioned power inputs, in addition to all of the above.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

This reminds me of the guy I work with who's got a serval, and the cat apparently got bored and decided he loved the sound of his own voice.

So he found a corner that sounded particularly nice, and would howl into it for hours at a time.

Coworker stuffed the corner with sound treatment foam panels, so the cat went from wall to wall until he found another good echo spot, and went back to howling at himself.

Now, every corner in his house is full of foam, and he's built a whole outdoor enclosure for the cat to play in so he's less bored. :3:

I should ask him if all the foam dampers have improved the overall acoustics of his house...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

KillHour posted:

Servals are super hard to keep entertained. They're too smart to be pets. :(

Yeah, the outdoor enclosure ended up being what kept his serval from going insane, but dude's got property and resources for that sort of thing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

I'm about to go buy studio monitors.

Pray for me/my bank account.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

evobatman posted:

I ordered Dekoni pads for my WH-1000XM3s. They are usually fine to and from work, but after a few hours on a plane the cartilage in my ears gets pretty tired and sore from them. Will be interesting to see if there is a huge difference, they sure as gently caress were expensive enough!

Edit - WTF, this isn't the headphone thread!

Not to continue the derail, but I love my WH-1000XM3s, and I want to know more about these pads.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Jascum posted:

Are there stoner audiophiles that believe different strains make music sound better or worse?

I used to take hallucinogens before sitting in front of my speakers or putting on my headphones, but I donít recommend it.

There are substances that definitely enhance the way music sounds, alter perception of time which does some crazy things with audio, or induce some sort of synesthesia...but thatís TCC kind of poo poo.

As for cannabis, for me anyway, the relaxation is nice for musical enjoyment, but it doesnít do anything special. My ex bandmate once took a bunch of strong Washington State edibles in the studio and then described my guitar playing as being full of purples and reds and resonances heíd never before experienced, but itís nothing Iíve ever felt. I just get tired and want to lie down somewhere soft.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Elentor posted:

Listen to nothing but the muddiest headphones for a year - settle with naught but the lowest quality, shittiest pairs you can find,and then by contrast your good headphones will be even more amazing after that year!

That's what drives me a little crazy in A-B testing. Yes, this one is subjectively better than that one...but what's my baseline? Are either of these better than option C? What about what's behind acoustically-treated door number 4? Should I close my eyes or will that color the experience?

For funsies, I pulled out an old pair of headphones I used to use in high school, hooked them up to the studio system, and...wow. Mistakes were made.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

If youíve got a 30-pin cable somewhere in the car, there are Bluetooth adapters for it. I had to work my way up to a fairly expensive one for the 2013 Nissan Rogue I was driving before I found one that worked, but it operated like a modern Bluetooth enabled head unit after that, and the audio quality was fine.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

TheMadMilkman posted:

she's really horny and likes to misuse latin terms.

Solid potential thread title.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Speaking of old caps, check out this 1950s guitar amp I dug out of storage recently :v:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Some Goon posted:

The only way you'll get even remotely acceptable audio quality out of Bluetooth is to adjust the tonal color balance of the room you're listening in, otherwise everything will be too, well, blue. Smartbulbs produce too much interference so you'll have to hand-phosphor some bulbs (LEDs are far too digital for proper tonal color production). You need an appropriate number of black lights too to ensure you're not brightening your blacks from all the light sources, so invest in some skin protection as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmLp9Mn-5rg

That bit is extra dark in light of COVID-19 related labor issues.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

You would think digital fidelity and "perfect reproduction" would mean something, but no, audiophiles love them some lossy, distorting, electrically unstable poo poo instead.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Malcolm XML posted:

Lmao if you're not like that Japanese guy who got his power company to install a fully separate drop from the grid

Ugh, wish I was rich enough for something like that. Trying to run a recording studio in my apartment loving sucks.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

shortspecialbus posted:

A couple power conditioners and a UPS solved any problems I had with recording, although I'll grant I do it as a hobby and not on any sort of large scale - what issues are you running into that need more than that?

I've got Furmans, but no UPS. My studio space's outlets share the same circuit as things like bathroom fans, which like to send spikes that jam up my soundcard. It's not horrible now that I've got beefier Furmans, as long as I don't crank the volume too much. I'm a little worried about something getting damaged, because I have some older rack gear, but it is what it is. I can't afford to move, and the studio is in the only part of the apartment where it fits. I can't afford an external space. On the upside, the label I'm on encourages the punk/DIY aesthetic.

:tif:

Got any UPS suggestions?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Some Goon posted:

In production it gives you more room to mess with the signal before mixing down to distribution quality. In playback it's snake oil.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

I keep my drum n bass CD wallet (mostly Knowledge Mag covermounts and a whole bunch of mixes, commercial and CD-R) in my car for times when I donít have a cell signal. The coastal mountains are really bad for keeping Spotify going, and sometimes I donít want an audiobook or podcast. I do have a nice solid state player, but itís been on light duty since my company started comping my cell bill...

From running an indie record label, I can say that CDs are not big sellers. We mostly do vinyl for physical media, but CDs are more like business cards or give away merch. Oh, you bought $200USD worth of vinyl? Hereís some free EPs of bands you might also like! I literally keep a stack of my bandís EP in my messenger bag in case someone asks what we sound like. The ones in a single-fold cardboard sleeve and wrapped in plastic are inexpensive and give you a lot of room for cover art.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Sony's solid state MP3 Walkmans are legit. No DRM, shows up as a hard drive on whatever device you hook it up to. Plays a bunch of formats. Later models have Bluetooth and wired noise cancelling earbud options. I have 3, and I would get the Walkman logo tattooed on me if I was forced to get a corporate logo tattoo.

The best part is the wired WM-Port dock fits perfectly in a cupholder, so you can make your own car dock if your car's cup holders are modify-able. The downside is that after a few years of vibration, the WM-Port tends to fall apart (think iPod's 30-pin adapter), but it was fun while it lasted.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Is that jamon iberico?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

https://twitter.com/scott4listener/status/1321829118833545217

There aren't sufficient psyducks for the amount of :psyduck: I'm doing right now

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Yes, love a medium where I have to specifically master my bass so the object physically reading the sounds off the surface doesn't bounce out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

There's a ghost in me
Doesn't mean I'm sorry

I like how they assume the recording was made in such ideal conditions that it would reproduce with such exquisite fidelity, and the key to making it sound more perfect is magic rocks on cords.