Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

polyester concept posted:

it doesn't help that modern home designs make it so loving awkward to place anything anywhere without it being in the way somehow. everything is open concept. just give people a rectangular room for christ sake

It’s this, really. I could have the most tuned and balanced system ever built, but my apartment living room is going to make it sound like poo poo. I have a hand me down Sony receiver and a Bose Acoustimass setup, with the back speakers running off some cheap wireless poo poo that Best Buy said would probably mostly work, and it’s aggressively fine. It’s not like I’m going to have a loving meltdown if my AEW stream in a web browser doesn’t feel like I’m sitting in Florida with other people because it’s not mixed for 5 plus speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Would definitely roll back to Minidisc if I could only have one option.

I mean, solid state MP3 players are great, but the recording options on Minidisc are a plus.

Also, I just think they're neat.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Pile Of Garbage posted:

The Sony MZ-R700 MD that I had was able to automatically detect and mark tracks when recording from CD via S/PDIF. At the time I did think that the NetMD stuff sounded cool but I never bothered with it as recording CDs to MD was just so simple and perfect.

This is the way.

It was great if you had streaming radio with enough of a gap between tracks, so you could record overnight and have a whole playlist the next day. I had 5 Minidiscs of, like, 4 hour stretches of dnbradio and Bassdrive

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Alan_Shore posted:

I was absolutely not expecting the thread to pine for MiniDiscs but it warms the cockles of my heart.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this beauty in my picture. Practically the first MP3 player. 32Mb of storage. Absolutely blew everyone away when I brought it on a school trip. Impossible to use now without a serial port (or you buy a 32Mb CF card. I bought a 64Mb one to try my luck but NOPE)

I think I still have that Sharp somewhere.

My first regular MP3 player was the Creative Zen Xtra, which was just a DAC bolted onto a 30gb 2.5” spinner drive. You could technically upgrade the drive, but it was designed to draw very little power, so you needed to make sure the new drive wasn’t too thirsty, or it would get weird read errors. I even painted the removable cover to match my car.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

TTerrible posted:

I had that Rio. It was a parallel port. :goonsay:

The pass through function of the cable so you could keep your printer attached never worked for me so I had to crawl around under my desk each time I wanted to swap.

Woof, how slow was that?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

qirex posted:

DAT was used professionally in studios a lot before hard drives were big enough, it could do lossless dubbing which was a big improvement over 1/4”.

This.

I still have some DATs from before the studio I worked for briefly went all digital. I don't have a machine that can read them, but I've been told they're archival quality (someone in this thread will likely let me know if I'm wrong).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Which was the club somewhere in Europe which had the wall of subs built into I think concrete poured cabinets? You reckon with a shitload of those Movers you could produce something similar? Like an entire wall that moves and acts as a cone?

I was also going to ask about a larger version of these things and have spotted that it was Powersoft who made those too, M-Force. Someone has to be insane and rich enough to try this, surely?

Are you thinking of Dillinja's Valve Sound System?

https://dillinja.co.uk/bio.html

quote:

Officially the worlds loudest Drum and Bass oriented sound system, at a staggering 96k, the Valve sound system was designed from the ground up to showcase the Valve sound and better represent the full Drum and Bass sound and enabled ravers to be truly immersed in the sound.

I dunno if that's the same setup the label I work for tried to bring on tour in the US, but it ended up being impossible because of the voltage differences.

Documentary on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2Pw8CSt4g

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

EL BROMANCE posted:

She’s been doing a ton of YouTube sets over the last year, she’s still awesome.

I remember hearing that High Contrast didn’t master stuff properly and just used a bedroom micro system and ugh it was so bittersweet when his stuff would drop in a club because it just often sounded like rear end because of this.

That happend with a friend's remix once. Dropped it in a mix, and the energy in the room just went CLENCH all at once. I've never mixed back out of a track that fast in my life.

Also can confirm DJ Rap owns :allears:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not, no. Found it, Club Sub in Austria. 32 subs, drivers fitted into cast concrete enclosures. Pretty much the entire back wall of the venue. Supposedly able to hit 7hz.

Oooooh do want to experience.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Neurophonic posted:

I work a fair bit with roots / reggae sound-systems and they are generally very far from ‘hifi’ - and many of them are as anti-science and measurements as the audiophile world - but it’s also a lot of fun. Friendly rivalries between crews, and experimentation is a big part of it. If you think of them as the equivalent of a guitar rig, where tubes and cabinets make a certain artistic sound, then it makes more sense.

I found a video with DIY instructions on how to make amplifiers out of the transistors and other components you can scavenge out of a CFL lightbulb base. You're obviously not going to get an audiophile sound out of them, but if all you need it to pump music thru a loudspeaker into a party space, you can do it with some trash and a soldering iron in about 10 minutes.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I certainly wouldn't play anything I didn't want ruined for me.

https://twitter.com/ReaperHipHop/status/1390830469445455872?s=19

Flashbacks to the first time I got to DJ on a real soundsystem :allears:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

strtj posted:

What is it with those clear stranded cables becoming super popular all of a sudden? The Hifiman headphones I just got came with one. A cheap one, but still, it would have probably been easier and at least as inexpensive to ship a regular cable.

What's funny is the other market for clear audio devices is prison.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I recently had to buy a sound card to get the right connectors for my receiver, and it came with a lighting kit.

I can only imagine the love/hate from audiophiles over whether that’s good or bad, but it’s the sort of slap fight I’d go behind the bike racks to watch after school.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

BonHair posted:

A signal through a USB connection is 100% quantifiable. It's not like the overtones or whatever can be lost in transmission. Either the signal is good or it is corrupt. Digital audiophile stuff is really an amazing market. With any luck, it makes a slight high pitched noise while operating, effectively making the sound technically worse.

One of my favorite "gotcha" moments was going to the hifi shop with my parents when they were buying their first HDTV, and listening to the sales guy pitch them a hundred plus dollar HDMI cable to go with it with the usual, "The colors and sound and blah blah are better." I broke down the whole, "digital is just on or off signals, no gradation," and my dad galaxy brained right in the store.

Don't grift my family, assholes.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Ok Comboomer posted:

that guy’s life was ruined because of you. he failed to make that bonus on your parents and then everything just spiraled from there......

You make it sound like I did something bad.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
If you have a job with work from home benefits, see if there’s any reimbursement for headphones. I got $250 when our office moved to primarily video calls instead of conference rooms, and applied that to a nice set of DJ cans with an optional boom mic.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Ok Comboomer posted:

surprised nobody’s tried to park a Neve console in their living room in the service of replicating the original mix, as it was heard

wait.....now I gotta see how many Audiophiles on the internet have tried to run their sources through a Neve preamp or somesuch

I mean, I used to have a spare DJ mixer wired into my TV setup so I could mix my own music or whatever over video games, but I don't think that's in the same category.

Then again, I dunno, I just decommed a Tascam desk mixer in favor of a Soundcraft rack mixer because I was tired of using an entire loving folding table's worth of space just for audio routing in my studio. I guess I could make my living room incredibly silly if I wanted to, but I can't think of any reason why I'd need 24 channels of audio for watching movies or playing PS4 games.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wasabi the J posted:

Completely non-sequitur but I remember as a child a brand new tape being loving amazing to listen to, and then CD's sounded like a brand new tape EVERY TIME

... if I held the CD player still in the passengers seat.

I went into my parents' wood shop and built a wood frame about 1" bigger than my portable CD player in every dimension, then strung rubber bands that held the CD player in suspension in the middle. Worked great as a shock absorber if I set the whole contraption in the middle of the passenger seat or footwell. That was a first gen Sony Discman with zero skip buffer, and it worked better than the next unit I got that allegedly had skip protection.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just use a power adapter like me. It's not like goons jog or something.

It me, the kid who celebrated when her parents got a Subaru with a 12v port in the back so I could plug my Discman and Game Gear in for road trips.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Subaru’s stock head unit also has a volume knob and is remarkably decent. CarPlay can gently caress up if you use a cheap USB cable, but once you understand that it’s easy to fix.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Adam’s T series is a lot of bang for not a lot of bux. The only real audio downside compared to the A series can be taken care of by placing them where the rear bass ports won’t be smashed against a wall, and I rarely find having the power controls on the back to be a problem.

Still made the guy in line behind me at the store say, “that’s the price for ONE?!” tho.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I used to put a hacky sack on top of my portable CD player lid because the motor would make it vibrate and rattle, but lol at that adding anything to the sound coming over the wires.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

KozmoNaut posted:

The venerable dbx 120a's lowest frequency output is 26hz, stock)

This thing is a goddamn weapon, if you haven’t experienced one before. My bandmate used to run his bass guitar thru it and out of a separate subwoofer for when we’d play drum n bass with guitars over the top. I stole it from him, and it sounds reeeeally mean attached to something like a TB-303.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

KozmoNaut posted:

I had the equivalent functionality in the dbx DriveRack PX that I used as an active crossover and EQ for a while.

With a bit of tuning it really filled out the low end of music that was otherwise a bit lacking in that area.

Hell yeah.

Someone refresh my faulty memory, whose extremely loud drum n bass sound system was it that they tried to bring over to North America on tour, but it was never gonna work because the electricity requirements were something they couldn’t solve for? On top of import/visa and transportation fees, the technical hurdles meant it was doomed from the start, IIRC.

I could be way off on any number of details there. I’m trying to pull together foggy memories from hearsay and old issues of Knowledge and Rinse mags.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Neurophonic posted:

It’s more likely to be Dillinja’s VALVE System:

That's the one! I was drawing a blank on Dillinja's name and was too lazy to go flip thru my records, but I knew someone posting here would have the answer.

Neurophonic posted:

That said, it was likely a handy excuse that was ‘cooler’ than the cost and time of six weeks at sea for transit either side of the show(s), carnet (pre-paid tax on the system’s total market value when new just in case you don’t bring it back), plus inter-state trucking, insurance, storage and working visas for the crew and performers.

I talked to some of the people who were trying to get them to tour VALVE in the US, and it was mostly that -- the electrical logistics were a lot of overhead, but the real problem was making the money back. I mean, on top of shipping a bunch of large, heavy poo poo.

Regarding bass in mono, one of the tenets of drum n bass production is that your sub tones are ALWAYS in mono. Partly because it doesn't add much to the mix (arguable), but mainly because dnb is a vinyl based genre, and you don't want your needle rattling itself all over the place because it's trying to bounce back and forth in the depths of the groove.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
You need to take the carpet to the forest, cover it in dirt and dead animals, leave it for a month, and then bring it back to your listening room. Any detritus that can't be brushed off will help expand the soundstage and really let you feel the low end frequencies. The scent and motion of any fungus or small animal infestations enhances the feeling of dread you should already be getting, plus it'll diffuse some of the sharper treble notes, especially when it comes to hi hats.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Ugh, now I have to remember working for a department where that was the only available CD drive, and most of my job was archiving and editing photos from CDs. I only had one caddy, and it was annoying as poo poo.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Very “me neighbors are always listening to loud drum n bass music…whether they like it or not!” energy from that article.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
If you’re producing bass heavy music for vinyl, make sure your sub bass and bass frequencies are all in mono.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

smellmycheese posted:

And yet weirdly this process is not followed in TV production. Which is what leads to the many audio complaints about muddy dialogue, and also to visual fiascos like the legendary pitch dark Battle of Winterfell GoT epsiode. Looked great no doubt in a dark edit suite in 4k. Looked like dogshit once it had been crushed down for transmission through cable and satellite codecs and then watched on cheap LED TVs with bad blacks.

Even with good blacks on a plasma, it couldn't help the horrendous artifacting.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I sold my Sony one ages ago, but there's a Sharp in my storage unit somewhere. I should go find it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I still have my MiniDisc Walkman and it works. It was amazing for the era in terms of reliability and sound quality. I did a lot of interviewing with it and a half decent microphone, was miles ahead of anything else available at the time.

My bandmate used to use the Sharp one for plugging into the PA desk for recording his live sets. I think Submerged ft Lauren Flax - 110 (Live) that later came out on vinyl was recorded that way.

Sounds loving great.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
If burn in was real, why don't they offer it as a service from the factory?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They're also cheap as hell to get printed, so if you're in a band, it's basically a business card. I still carry a stack of my EP around in my bag when I'm meeting new people, and you'd be surprised at how often people are actually into getting a CD from you in person. Especially if they still have a CD player in their car and they'll be driving somewhere after you meet up.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I load the thread on a portable device, then disconnect it from the internet so I can appreciate all the pixels without interference. Sometimes I load it, disconnect, and then drive to the forest to enjoy it properly.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
It’s amazing the lengths people will go to for a gig like that. I schlep my own gear, and it’s honestly not worth it unless you absolutely, positively want to play out regularly…and don’t have any friends.

Besides, all the old jungle heads who spin vinyl that I hang out with are bone tired of dragging around record boxes and spare needles and all that poo poo (esp in Portland, where most of the DJ venues are half assed at best — enjoy being your own engineer, bring at least one spare of every cable you’ll need, and don’t push the levels too hard or you’ll blow out the house mixer.) Way easier to have a laptop or a Rekordbox prepped USB stick these days. Busting out the actual vinyl is for, like, being invited to spin at a high roller friend’s birthday party. Special occasions only.

Went to one nightmare gig where my bandmate insisted on spinning on a set of decks that were too close to the subwoofer, so the needles were constantly jumping around. And then there was an obnoxious fan who kept jumping into the DJ booth and further loving poo poo up. He got so mad after that he smashed a copy of Port Rhombus on the sidewalk. Vinyl gigs really aren’t worth the trouble unless you can control the environment AND you know what the hell you’re doing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Mister Speaker posted:

Unironically yes, mostly. I have a pair of 1210s that I only ever use every six months or so to listen to old Tull records. I've been considering selling them because I'm broke; last night another vinyl purist at the bar offered me $950 for the pair. I said no.

Is that the going price? I keep mine because I’m a co-owner of a vinyl label, and not having a pair of 1200s would be socially awkward, but I rarely use them. Even switched to an Akai AMX/AFX setup so I can leave them at home and still have knobs and poo poo for Serato.

My parents dropped off a pile of crap that included a USB/built in preamp belt drive turntable the other month, and I’m tempted to keep it around for sampling and digitizing vinyl, but get rid of the 1200s.

Okay, so the one audiophile thing about DJing that does matter is bitrate. Lower bitrate songs tend to sound like absolute rear end on a club system that’s tuned to show off bass frequencies in particular. I have never mixed out of a song faster than when I threw on a 128 kbps mp3 remix a friend did of the Stand Alone Complex theme. Might be less of a thing with better compression algorithms, but in the early 00s, that was the big reason to shop at Beatport or rip your own digital files.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I haven’t A/Bd them to win an argument on the internet, but 1200s ain’t what you get for high end audio quality. They’re what you get when you pay your friend in weed to carry your gear, and it has to survive possibly being dropped down a flight of stairs and covered in PBR. I’ve got basic bitch Shure carts in mismatched shells that I keep clean and maintained, but they’re not audiophile quality gear. Their purpose in life is to not yeet themselves out of the groove if I get feisty with some scratch records while entertaining my cat on a Sunday afternoon.

Not that the 90 dollar Target special is really worth a poo poo in terms of quality either, but it’s convenient and lets me sample directly into my iPad for Koala/Beatmaker 3 use.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My old man cat likes jazz (which earned him the nickname Reginald J. Tubbs, Esq, where the J stands for "Jazzcat"), but the new kitten seems mostly startled by 303 clones and Pocket Operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I’ve had good luck with Ety Plugs, after trying everything on the market short of going to an audiologist (which I would do if I started playing out again). I’ve got asymmetrical ear canals and one is weirdly shaped, and the foam tip option that works great if I warm it up first.

Tho in a pinch, even shoving a squishy bit of foam in your ear holes is better than nothing. I still have a bit of hearing loss in my already fucky ear after I had to jump back on stage at a show with the loudest sound system I’ve ever experienced (shout out to Port in Odesa, hope you guys are well) after losing one of my Etys. Do not recommend.