Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

- Ska du ha maito i kaffet?

What I find really depressing is how a poster on an 'audiophile' forum may post something that seems pretty smart, actually, but it only takes one other post to reveal that he's actually completely brainless:

(It only gets worse from there...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

I don't know if that forum is real or what but hot drat, post a link. Looks like a riot fun party over there.

It's vinylengine. Please note I added the pictures to illustrate my point. (The top and bottom is an actor and the middle one is a result of GISing 'rapist'.)

It does have rather amusing characters, though (I'm assuming this is a troll, of course):

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 31, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Technics vs. Everything Else Wars going on at vinylengine (and I assume other forums) are worse than the Commodore vs. Sinclair Spectrum wars I remember. I should just stop reading the forums and stick to what's good (the cartridge database and turntable manual selection).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

The vast majority of the anti-Technics posts are from serial threadshitter and professional troll bastlnut.

There is a lot of Technics hate even outside the Internet. Also, it's basically impossible to tell who is a troll and who is being completely serious on an audiophile forum. Bastlnut sure does seem to like to start wars on purpose though. (Or maybe you meant you know him? :crossarms:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm no audiophile by any means and I do have a Technics turntable, but I am curious: why do the Technics haters hate?

Because they're immensely popular and very affordable (well they were until they stopped making them) and have been so for several decades.

The following is just how I see it, feel free to take it with a grain of salt:

It probably started in the audiophile press because, due to the same model being manufactured for so long, the price of the SL-1200 was so low compared to anything of similar quality out there that other manufacturers had to do something. I have no proof that all amateur audio* journalists are corrupt but I would be very very surprised to find out they aren't - of course some are just idiots. Once it's printed, it's true: cogging, jittering, what have you. Most of the hate seems to focus on the SL-1200MK2 (and later incarnations thereof) but some just can't seem to stand direct-drive (Technics) in general.

Of course there were some super-lovely direct-drive turntables produced by other companies, but the thing about the Technics drives is they were all really good. It's also quite common to read stuff like "well they designed it but they were made in China so quality control blah blah blah" even though they were made in Japan.

*) Amateur audio as opposed to professional audio.

EDIT: Technics made some really crappy low-end belt-drive players though. Then again, who didn't?

Another loving edit: I actually mostly use a belt-drive Philips at home because I'm lazy and it's automatic.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 2, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

1210s were the business. When I used to spin records I had a beat to poo poo 4th hand pair that were still trucking when I sold them. Everywhere I went to spin records there was a pair of beat to poo poo 1210s that kept on trucking after what looked like 15 years of raining pint glasses, cigarette/spliff ash and heavy handed DJs.

I'd still have at least one of them if vinyl wasn't so freakishly expensive.

The non-beat-to-poo poo units also work pretty well :) But the main thing is that it also works really well as a home player (which is probably why DJs adopted them). Anyone with wobbly floors can attest to this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

Of course the arm is not the most amazing thing in the world, but it's about 400,000 times better than the nail in a 2x4 tonearms you get on those Crosley bulk record erasers.

I think "Crosleys are utter poo poo" is the one sentiment that everyone who has any experience in using record players can agree on.

Of course, if you replace the plinth, the drive, the tonearm, and the circuit board, you'll have a great system! Upgrades are what it's all about anyway, right?

"While our recorders may look retro, they feature enough modern day gadgetry to make anyone marvel." Gee whiz, it plays C-cassettes, too! It can also do digital computer files. Does that mean it's files for digital computers or that the files are digital as opposed to those old-fashioned analog files?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 2, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

Haha this is great idea. Just keep upgrading until not one thing original is left.

Well that seems to be the fashion these days. Buy turntable ZORBO DUBUQUE 3.7 -> replace arm -> replace platter -> replace mat -> replace power unit -> replace belt (white belts are better than black belts [not kidding]) -> replace plinth -> replace feet -> buy 5000 € stand -> replace stand feet -> replace all wiring and cables (white cables are better than black cables!) -> post on vinylengine how ZORBO DUBUQUE 3.7 is great and Technics poo poo doesn't even come close.

There's no "profit" part unless you sell 400 € platter mats or something.

Extra optional step: post a video on Youtube of your so-called ZORBO DUBUQUE 3.7 playing a Sade record. Only Sade will do. Don't pipe the sound straight to your computer, just record it with the camera microphone.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 2, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

Jesus Christ, if your bearings weren't hosed before, they will be after this.

In the non-DJ arena it's not as cut-and-dry as "it plays or it doesn't" there's end of side mistracking and misalignment issues because of arm geometry resulting in sibilance and all that nasty stuff.

There is no DJ arena. Lumping all professional use of turntables together is just plain stupid. Being rid of sibilance and "all that nasty stuff" is just as important to many DJs as it is in home use (if not more so). And mistracking is never acceptable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well, it was inevitable. If an idiotic belief exists, you'll find it somewhere on SA. But gold plating does look nicer.

When gold-plated connectors started creeping their way into consumer products, I remember one article in a tech magazine where it was pointed out that, according to laboratory tests, it would seem that the difference between nickel- and gold-plated connectors regarding corrosion resistance would only be manifest over periods of several thousand years. (Of course laboratory tests can't prove this but we'll see in ten thousand years or so if they were right.)

Incidentally, I've noticed that more and more you'll find gold-plated (or, as it may be, gold-coloured) connectors on the shittiest Chinese-made Fuckshit-brand products out there because that's the thing people want. A lot of "pro" stuff I've bought recently has had nickel-plated connectors even though I'm fairly sure older models had gold.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 24, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

All of my audio and computer gear etc. is a wonderful mixture of gold and nickel plating. OH NOES THE CORROSIONS DISSIMILAR METALS, I guess.

Am I going to hell because some things are just copper on copper :ohdear: I like to use these:

because I'm lazy and don't actually own a soldering iron.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's an instant 8khz lowpass filter with 12dB rollover RIGHT THERE!

So... so you think this could be marketable? Maybe different colours to fit the "sound" of the components? I just need a name now... Fully Manual Solid State Pento-Band Frequency Amplidamper?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone's selling an atomic clock as clock reference for your studio gear.

"With the Atomic, I'd say there was a 20% improvement which for me is mind-blowing. The image was wider, more solid and the vocal appeared to project towards me!"

"I noticed an immediate change in my soundspace the minute I heard the 10M plugged into my OCX-V. The stereo spread out, the edges were more clear, and the center seemed to come forward."

(Quotes from industry professionals. I hope they're fake, because if not, :psyduck: )

http://www.vintageking.com/Antelope-Audio-Isochrone-10M

OK I know this thread is called "Ridicule audiophiles" so it's easy to get carried away on the wave of cynicism but sometimes an emerging technology just happens to actually be useful while possibly remaining incomprehensible to a layman such as the average goon. This isn't one of Machina Dynamica's silly little bits of plastic or the addition of a decimal in copper purity numbers - we are talking about a real breakthrough in the way things are made: we are talking about real atomic technology.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

timb posted:

poo poo, I should get a cheap rack mount enclosure and try to sell these for like $3000.

No-one wants to buy your cheap Chinese (or even worse - Mexican!) knock-off!

VVV That sounds more like it. Can you throw in a piece of Blu-Tack somewhere in there to reduce the effects of vibrations caused by cosmic entities swimming in the flogiston?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 6, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering they're doing stuff like putting them in a freezer before playing them, or demagnetizing them, they're probably putting them under a scanning tunneling microscope first.

The question is completely moot though since real audiophiles don't use CDs. (Can a question even be moot? I don't know.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Because some inertia and gravity based degrading playback medium is the poster-child of accuracy. I'll never understand these people.

Serious post here: To be fair, it hasn't been about accuracy for a good few decades now. These are audiophiles we're talking about, not music-lovers. They are striving for a sound they like, not to hear what has been recorded as faithfully as possible.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

longview posted:

These are people who put their cables up on little struts and stuff tissue paper in their amplifiers, someone should start selling audiophile grade house wiring and manual fuses. I found a significantly more vibrant soundstage after I put in the AudioFuze 63A model, sure it's a 13A circuit but I need the extra power for the dynamics!!

Last I checked, real audiophiles modify their equipment to run on batteries to avoid bad current.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pudgygiant posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/554008/dont-get-why-audiophile-usb-cable-would-improve-sound-quality

47 page argument about USB cables. God I love Head-Fi, it's like Youtube comments by rich people.

This just corroborates my theory that anyone named Travis is a douche bag. (If anyone here is called Travis: I believe you are a douche bag vOv)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I believe the main reason for the "analog is better" scene these days is the fact that there was a buttload of really really lovely-sounding CDs (and also some really bad design desicions in some CD players) in the early days and, for enthusiasts, nothing ever improves. Bought a lovely-sounding Whistle Bait CD? All CDs have lovely sound. Heard an early CD player with 32133-bit processing? All CD players are poo poo. Start your hi-fi hobby back in the fifties when user-made 'tweaks' actually did improve the sound? Soldering a bent paper clip onto your cartridge body is the only thing standing between you and audio nirvana.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're generally in denial, anyway, because another company is still in good faith with them, after this happened to one of their products:

Well, at least it works (until eaten by cat) just as well as any high-end power cable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gently caress me if I'm going to 'tweak' anything beyond using a protractor to align a cartridge and fiddling about with the positioning of a new pair of speakers for ten minutes tops. If I ever hear myself talking about 'detailed brights' with a straight face, I'm going to slap myself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gromit posted:

Haha, you took the words right out of my mouth. My level of hifi tinkering went as far as angling my speakers a little to point towards my couch and using the microphone gadget that came with my amp to set up the speaker delays and whatever else voodoo magic it did.

Speaker positioning is extremely important, though, I'm not arguing against it. Speakers are almost always the weakest link after the actual recording, anyway. I don't think I'll ever have speakers that give me the same sort of detail (as in "bits I didn't hear before") that I can get through my headphones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

At 115wpc RMS into 8-ohms (230wpc into 4-ohms), Liliana is the first commercially produced battery-powered amplifier to unite “iron-fisted” high-current FET output with a “velvet glove” warmth and character only found in vacuum tubes.

For some reason the fact that they saw the need to print "8-ohms" instead of "8 ohms" irritates me more than the existence of the actual product. Should I Google to see what "tube-rolling" means to get my rage properly on?

EDIT: Oh it means switching to another tube. That's disappointing since swapping the tube actually might make a noticeable difference in sound, depending on the design of the amp.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 24, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lows and highs (or low and high frequencies) are pretty much universally used and understood though - not to mention they actually make sense as terms.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of the Sutsuma-brand stuff advertises gold-plated plugs on the box but the metal doesn't actually look anything much like gold. (Not that I'm an expert on gold.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seems like whenever so-called audiophiles use the word "significant", it actually means "imaginary". Since hearing happens in the brain, if they imagine something sounds better then it in fact does, for them. And possibly other crazy people as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

The imperfections and the mistakes are part of what makes it unique and part of what makes it human.

Regarding recorded music, there are some records where one needs to turn up the <gasp> loudness knob just to hear all the instruments being played at sensible volumes. If you don't, you'll end up asking the band "hey when did you get a horn section?" after the first live gig you attend and the answer is: "We've always had them". These are almost always self-produced, of course.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

The threaded part of a light bulb base has to be neutral for safety since it's easy to accidentally touch it while unscrewing the bulb. If the switch is on (and who hasn't accidentally changed a light bulb with the switch on at least once?)

I was just taught as a kid never to touch the metal bits when screwing a bulb in or out. That's good enough.

VVV I'm not much of a jumper. Anyway, I do realize accidents happen. The point was that since I can never know what hosed-up wiring there is, I always assume the socket and the metal bit are live.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 28, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't have a pond so I guess I can have several subwoofers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The important thing is that the sub has a blue led.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neurophonic posted:

Everything in sound is a compromise.

No. There is no compromise when someone says "but I really want to listen to Kingston Wall."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have a friend who insists stranded copper is a better for speaker cables than solid copper. He's not at all an "audiophile" though, turns out it's just something "everyone knows". I actually believed him for a good while; since he works in tech I thought there was some actual reason for it. When I got curious about why exactly it works better, I found out that it was completely baseless.

Of course, stranded cable can be a lot easier to install but that's not what he was saying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megiddo posted:

He's referring to a phenomenon called skin effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire#Skin_effect

Maybe. Still doesn't fly.

The Internet posted:

Speaker cables are normally made with stranded conductors but bare metal strands in contact with each other do not mitigate skin effect; the bundle of strands acts as one conductor at audio frequencies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

longview posted:

My favourite one is: oh these you would hear a difference with, you wouldn't not hear a difference when they were that expensive.

I'm having a really hard time parsing this.

VVV Oh thanks. I was really tired when I read that first and my brain just wasn't quite up for double negatives.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 30, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SoyPancho posted:

A lot of us here that can hear the difference between 128 and 256 are probably geeky enough to know at least to some extent what the technical effect on the audio is and use it as a roadmap in those blind tests. The fun question you've gotta ask yourself is- if I didn't know, which one would I identify as sounding better? The answer could differ from record to record.

I don't think anyone would prefer lovely hi hat sounds - which are the main problem that low bit rate MP3s usually have.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Khablam posted:

When people think of this, however, they're thinking of a 128CBR MP3 they downloaded on Napster in 1999.

Well of course I am (apart from the Napster bit, I ripped them from CDs). You want to know what codec and bit rate I use these days? Well, so do I, I just left Itunes at whatever the default settings are. I'm not even sure they're MP3.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

To be honest, that would be a cool-looking CD player (without the tacky knob). I would be willing to pay 20-30 € for one (my PS doesn't have RCA out even though it's rear end-old :()

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

I can see the advantage of having a different tonearm for cartridges for 78, mono microgroove and stereo, but you can do the same thing with detachable headshells.

Detachable headshells = one more connection. Connections are bad.

In professional gear this is actually a problem since the headshell connectors tend to get dirty over time with people swapping carts/headshells all the time (and licking the loving connector instead of cleaning it). Of course, they have to be detachable to be useful so...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

This is 100% a lovely club DJ thing.

No, lovely non-club DJs also do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Socket Ryanist posted:

The old ortofon headshells were so poorly designed that they would actually bend the contacts in your tonearm so that other headshells wouldn't make good enough contact anymore.

You call it poor design, I call it technical marketing.