Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

God that thread is depressing. I'm actually amazed people use USB for music seeing as it's not vinyl...

*goes back to reading up on physics*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^^ I particularly like how that fella's tag is "it's all in your head".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hammer Floyd posted:

I've never heard a set of headphones that I get enough bass definition from. I know it's there, but I often find it hard to discern what the bass player is doing.

IMHO, Bass needs room to develop.

A lot of the time this is down to lovely mixing where the drummer and bass player are playing in a similar frequency range. Even the relatively crappy Sennheiser CX300 in ears I use can manage when the actual track itself is good enough.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

WanderingKid posted:

For example, the last reference track I used was Under the Influence (Chemical Brothers) which has enormous bass.

I love that track, the initial frequency sweep as it starts is AMAZE and then the bassline just throbs wonderfully. One of the best they've ever done IMO.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Does this link work for you lot? http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/mp3/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx28IXQIV6LBRU4&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3E8GXR2DFFR51

It's basically customer discussions going back to 2009 on the mp3 side of the site saying that mp3s are an awful format to be selling music in (conveniently ignoring the fact Amazon also sells CDs). It's all full of people spouting complete bollocks...

quote:

Hair, a well ripped CD to flac should really sound better than the CD, not inferior. The flac contains the same information as the CD but doesn't suffer any loss in quality in the process of reading a spinning CD with a laser. Since changing from a Pink Triangle Numeral CD to a Linn Majik DS as my source, the increase in sound quality has been very significant.

Jesus. loving. Christ.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 25, 2012

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Babylonian posted:

This conversation about self-production specifically reminds me of what my brother Porter says about this stuff. He's a pretty huge EDM musician who's constantly encountering stuff like this, and he's coined the term "lofty audio myths" to describe it. He talked about it a lot in old interviews, and he puts it way better than I could:

Basically: as hard as people look, it's really, really difficult to find excuses for why your music sounds bad other than that your music sounds bad. Audiophiles are the worst!

Ha your brother is Porter Robinson? Awesome, I really dig his work.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gromit posted:

Whilst my sub does a fair job of shaking the seat, I hate to think how beefy it would need to be to really put the boot in like a drunken loon.

This fella for some INSANE reason decided to put two Bill Fitzmaurice THT cinema subs in his room. The entire house moves...

http://youtu.be/ZglcBoKBuaY

I have the plans to build these but I want to see what the little brother does first with just an 8" driver.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 5, 2012

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jonathan posted:

I want to do a Danley DTS-10 or a THT or something similar for my home theatre. It will be used as a riser platform for the rear seating row.

I'm building a long style Table Tuba first as I mentioned, purely because I want to see what a £40 8" car audio driver can do in a proper enclosure. I have the wood and driver, just need some spare time to get it started (hopefully at the weekend).

I've already got a pair of T39 PA subs and Omni12 tops from Bill's site and I've got driver for a pair of T60s now too.

The T39s and Omnis are really impressive, I ran them outdoors a few weeks back in a nice big open space and it's just like listening to a very nice quality stereo setup, just a whole load louder... Very very impressive considering the cost to build them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

Have heard almost the full gamut of Bill's designs, and whilst they serve a purpose, there are far, far better box designs for free. The components however, usually cost more. One thing that really irks me about BFM stuff is the almost audiophile way he describes and 'tests' his kit. None of the comparisons to commercial or other subs are done fairly, or in a standard manner compared to other professional stuff - that extends to Tom Danley's newer bits too, awesome sounding boxes but the measurements have to be calculated backwards to be directly compared to their competitors.

Seeing as this whole thing started off on pretty much a whim I've been more than happy with the results so far. I just like how everything is all ridiculously simple to throw together. If there's better I'll have a dig, I'd quite like to manufacture a whole stack of different designs; Big E Loudspeakers seem pretty impressive and are a new company with a slightly different design ethos.

Basically this is a hobby that came about from being loving tired of hearing lovely club sound systems so I wanted to see if it was possible to make better myself. It's actually easier than I thought it'd be though that said it's not like venues round here are actually thinking about the stuff they put in, are getting sold the wrong kit by companies and aren't exactly treating any of the rooms.

One room has loving line array speakers 4 aside and the ceiling is barely 8ft... :aaa:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'll certainly have a lookie at those designs, they're definitely interesting but I just like the ease of using a few boxes to cover the entire range rather than using a shotgun approach and having a million different designs sat about the place all doing a smaller section of the frequency range.

Guess that makes me an un-audiophile?

But seriously thanks, I enjoy hacking up wood and pissing about with drivers so I'll add them to the (slowly growing) list. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The easiest way to think about sub placement is when you stand in front of a completely still pond and chuck a stone in. The ripples produced all come from the same spot and are nice and smooth.

Wait for the pond to become still again and chuck in two stones this time, you'll notice that unless you're unbelievably lucky the ripples will gently caress with each other in a destructive manner.

This is the simplest way to explain what happens with more than one sub source, obviously rooms factor into this but y'know...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nah you need the pond. It must be filtered using our new proprietary carbon nanotube filtration system to ensure the surface is completely oxygen free. The filtration system is to be run off our state of the art custom power system which removes any and all noise from the mains cables using anti-matter and so on and so forth... Basically buddy it's $200k to you. Bargain.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I did kinda put "obviously rooms factor into this but y'know..." at the end of that post for a reason. The stuff you just posted being that exact reason. I never stated it was the absolute answer to everything because sound is such a oval office to get right.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I don't know about "pussy speakers" since there are some really awesome monitors out there but that's just a matter of personal taste. The untreated walls thing is huge - your average living space is an acoustical nightmare with all sorts of slap echoes, strong nodes and anti-nodes (I once measured my room with 1/3 octave warble tones from 20-200 Hz and can you say +/- 20dB?) that will smear out detail and tonal accuracy way more than your lovely power outlets ever could.

How come they always manage to ignore legit science and just run with 'magic' science like darkwaves and quantum bollocks and other such bullshit?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dubfire, the reason why sound engineers are asking about the cables is because they look different, not because they sound better.

http://youtu.be/c6VA28Y2wNA

quote:

About the product planning for the d+ RCA series, we contemplated the best combination of important materials and factors such as its structure, conductor, insulator, shielding, outer sheath, and contact of plug.As a matter of course, for not only a data compressed file but also WAV, AIFF, and CD, it contributes to dissolve the stiffness and shallowness of digital sounds. In addition, its hi-definition playback property helps for making a good quality file recording for vinyl sound capturing.

http://www.neo-w.com/catalog/2010/06/d-usb_en.html

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That can't be for real...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Haha, I used to live not far away from that crazy bastard. It gives his address on the above link and noticed it was a Leeds postcode and took a look. It looks neater than I was expecting!

Googlemaps link:
http://tinyurl.com/corbkjc

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Where do we stand on people saying they can tell the difference between 320mp3s and flac/wav/aiffs? I personally can't tell. At lower bitrates yeah but not 320s.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ask them to do... wait for it... a double blind test.

"Oh, er, I'm er, busy and stuff yeah..." *incoherent mumbling*

That's usually the response.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ugh that cabling is a loving mess. Also that room seems to have an awful lot of flat shiny surfaces...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Blistex posted:

But my 3000 watt home theater system from Walmart ($59.99) is legitimately 3000 watts. . . right?

3000 watts ISL*

If Struck by Lightning

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

If we want to go full-goon about cables: Just buy a soldering iron and make your own, guh. :colbert:

That would make me full goon then... That said I've made some DIY PA speakers which sound poo poo hot so I thought why not just go full bore and make the cables to go with it too? It's this thinking that has caused me to assemble some mint green/red XLR/1/4" cabling for the setup.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 8, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah for a lot of things it's cheaper to buy a cable but a few of these runs are fairly long and to get something with Neutriks on was about the same price as just doing it myself and since I had the equipment it was a no brainer to ensure the quality was decent. I'd like to think I was at least competent with a soldering iron considering I put together the passive crossovers for the tops in my setup. I need to get pictures of those, they're pretty nicely done.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

Good work, now can you solder me up a VEAM multipin please?

I could but I'd probably kill myself halfway through when I realise I was working from a female pinout when it should've been a male one. :sweatdrop:

Those seriously look like my nightmares.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This is not so much audiophile but it still seems pretty daft to me and certainly 'just because we could'. http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/19/4537724/lcd-soundsystem-frontman-returns-to-his-roots-with-amazing-custom-speaker-set

Guys from Soulwax and LCD Soundsystem create their own speaker setup. 8 stacks of these arrayed in a circular formation.

What's up with that tweeter layout (among other things)??

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The line about a modern dance system not being able to play anything other than dance also made me laugh, the dude claims to have been a sound engineer, how can he not know what the gently caress EQ is?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

22k each apparently according to one interview. Totals something like 1.07 mill for the amount they have.

....I guess that's why they skimped on the actual stacks. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's more dorky details about the LCD/Soulwax soundsystem here. It's........ interesting.

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/dfa-and-despacio-engineer-john-klett-despacio-vinyl-only-soundsystem/

quote:

Each system is 5-way and it’s kinda obvious what it is: There are two 15s and it’s about 9 and a half cubic feet and the vents are huge but they’re not deep. Early bass reflex cabinets didn’t have the big shelf going back or pipes or any of that stuff, so those are tuned ducts; it’s also a reflex, they call them reflex cabinets, but this is where the vent is the thickness of the baffle.

These are really efficient speakers. For most of the night last night we were averaging about 80 watts, out of each of these mono-blocks, but we were getting very high levels in the middle of the floor because these put out almost 100db per watt.

So, same deal with the mids. It’s one mono-block per box. The stereo amplifier, because horns are much more efficient, we only have 450 watts for the horn and for the bullets and we cross these differently – I’m trying to not get too dweeby – but we’re crossing the horn about 2 octaves above what we could cross it at. I don’t like crossing horns near where they cut off. And the bullets are cut off way above where they normally cut off. You’re not stressing them that way, you can actually put a lot more power into them because you’re moving them less.

This thing on the top is called the birdhouse, because that’s where the tweeters live. And the horn thing is actually a drawer that pulls out and tilts down and it’s pulled out to time-align. All this is physically time-aligned, so there’s no timing other than just physical placement. And then the subs were bought in and they’re 21inch subs – pretty loud – and we’re actively crossing them over rather than using the crossovers in the subs.

So these are 1200 watts each, that’s what they’re rated for, they’ll put out a lot more than that. Last night at one point we were running the stack at about 2000-3000 watts, but we had like 10dbs of float on top of that. These things will actually give you a peak output that’s pretty close to 4000 watts peak.

The crest factor, because we’re using vinyl, there’s absolutely no dynamics, there’s no throttle, this is basically ungoverened. They [James & 2ManyDJs] have to control it back there. I have done the gain structure so it would be hard for them, but they could push this thing over the edge I guess, it wouldn’t be pleasant.

Has something been lost in translation on that last bit y'think? 'cos in the next paragraph he states there's loads of dynamics... :?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

I heard this. It was average at best, god awful screechy on vocals and wallowy as hell on bass. Have heard plenty of systems in the same sized space sound a lot better for a fraction of the price.

Oh and there were 7 stacks there, at a total cost of £1.2mil. So of course, there's another 25 stacks on order…

Talking about watts and dB like they're totally interchangeable is just hilarious. In no way was that system anywhere near close to 4000 bloody acoustic watts of output.

In one of the interviews I thought the amps alone cost over a million quid??

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You're all idiots, I mean why even bother listening to music in your house. Alone. Like a loser? GO OUTSIDE, NERDS.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've never known a band be able to EQ themselves properly. "I'm lead guitar, I should be louder than everyone else by a large margin!" It's usually the bass player that gets a raw deal and he usually doesn't know how to set his tone properly anyway... "I play bass so the bass knob on my amp is turned way up because bass, right?!" and the end result is the guitarist being loud as gently caress, the drummer trying to go louder and the bass player just kicking out a fuckton of midrange and the entire thing sounds poo poo.

:(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

quote:

(normally used for satellite and microwave communications)

Are these the good kind or bad kind of microwaves? I can imagine someone sitting listening to their music slowly getting cooked from the inside out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

How you feel about this will depend on your thoughts about what happens after you die. I'll say one thing though, the thought of someone uploading a bunch of poo poo I hated just to be a oval office would make me haunt their rear end from beyond the grave.

Introducing a coffin with an 'audiophile' speaker setup.

http://catacombosoundsystem.com/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDpC5ZYcA7M

quote:

CataCoffin

Two-way front speakers
4-inch midbass drivers
Wide range tweeter with external cooling
8-inch sub bass element
Custom built 2.1 amplifier
T-class stereo amplifier
Tripath Class-T Digital Power Processing™ Technology
SP Output R+L (4 ohm): 2x15W
Output (8 Ohm): 2x10W
Sub bass amplifier 50W RMS with SP output 80/120W
Frequency range: 22Hz-20kHz
Signal/noise ratio: >98dB signal
Acoustic absorption factor αp= 0,65-0,95

CataTomb

Performance-upgradeable music server
7-inch TFT-screen
2,5 GHz Intel Core processor
4 GB 1600 MHz HDD
Wireless 4G internet connection

CataPlay

Access to million of tracks
Collaborative playlists

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

One place I'm more than willing to spend a few extra bucks on cables is Neutrik connectors for cables that see frequent use. The strain reliefs they use beat any other I've seen hands down, and they're typically rated for twice as many insertion/removal cycles as the cheap ones. Part of my job is designing and building high-tech classroom consoles where the cables will typically be plugged in and unplugged several times a day in addition to taking a lot of abuse from being moved around, tripped over, etc. Neutrik rebrands their connectors as Rean and sells them for half the price with nickel plating instead of gold and powder coat, so it's not even that much more.

I love Neutrik stuff, their entire line is great, I never knew Rean were a rebrand of theirs. I'm also a fan of Amphenol kit, particularly for stuff like instrument cable plugs as they're just a joy to solder.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BANME.sh posted:

Simply not enough bandwidth.

I thought fibre speeds were just loving ridiculous? Am I just reading this here wrong or what?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21729104.900#.Ui4qRtK-qtY

73.7 terabit per second.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

For the record I use 12AWG on my PA setup so anyone using larger on a home setup is a complete idiot.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

27kg. $1600 in 1977. 250 very real watts per channel. One hell of a beast.

That is beautiful.

And this is mental... http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/12/21/heres-why-you-should-convert-your-music-to-432hz/

quote:

We all hold a certain vibrational frequency, not to mention our bodies are estimated to be about 70% water… so we can probably expect that musical frequencies can alter our own vibrational state. Some may call this ‘pseudoscience,’ however the science and patterns shown above don’t lie. Every expression through sound, emotion or thought holds a specific frequency which influences everything around it—much like a single drop of water can create a larger ripple effect in a puddle.

432 Hz is said to be mathematically consistent with the patterns of the universe. Studies reveal that 432hz tuning vibrates with the universe’s golden mean PHI and unifies the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with biology, the DNA code and consciousness. When our atoms and DNA start to resonate in harmony with the spiraling pattern of nature, our sense of connection to nature is magnified.

:stare:

I WILL KILL YOU

quote:

“Music based on C=128hz (C note in concert A=432hz) will support humanity on its way towards spiritual freedom. The inner ear of the human being is built on C=128 hz” – Rudolph Steiner

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 23, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My tosspiece of a housemate will be pulling his tiny little cock over that thing then. He loves to talk for hours about poo poo that doesn't make any loving difference to sound, saying he's going to do this, this and this with a dozen separate amplifiers and amp stages, it'll do this thing which is amazing and it'll be the best thing ever...

...and then never does anything about it. It's pretty annoying. The most hilarious part of it all being he made some speakers and they sound so loving weak it's unreal. Like you could buy a pair of $50 garage sale speakers and they'd sound better than these things he spent weeks and hundreds putting together. They're not even remotely accurate but because he assembled them they're the best thing ever. He likes to ignore the fact I've got $$$$s worth of custom PA kit with a stack of RTA/EQ equipment sat around and so know what a pair of flat speakers sounds like.

Audiophools are the worst.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

You could just take a regular dac, stick it in an impressive looking box on special steel alloy stands, hook the cables up, fill the box with rocks for weight and bam!

I might go into business.

I've considered doing this so so many times. I personally would go the wood route because metal conducts and thusly will be stealing your precious bits of data...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Byolante posted:

From reading that thread on the power cable I am left confused. People saying that having their home insurance voided is ok as long as they have a wider sound stage is kinda mental, but then a guy starts talking about wrapping his cables in aluminium foil to improve the sound quality dramatically. I would have marked him down as a troll but he was very enthusiastic about cables of all sorts for most of the thread. Is that thread representitive of normal audiophile behaviour or is it an edge case?

Wrapping your mains cables in foil is just pointless and stupid. In fact virtually everything audiophiles is pointless and stupid (and also massively expensive).

Anyone else care to chime in here on the factors that would make the most difference to a sound setup? Environment and the actual speakers would make the most noticeable difference, cabling would be way down the list under the format you're firing through the speakers...