Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Look at these noobs boosting instead of cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I wonder if they're going to include a high quality audiophile grade USB cable so no bits are lost in transferring their files...

*edit: Actually in the comments there's people arguing over whether or not you'd be able to tell the difference between a flac/wav and a 320 mp3 "on a decent pair of speakers". I have an entire rack of kit for my PA which enable me to run the system completely flat from 30hz-20khz. I've played MANY mp3 files on it and compared them to wavs and flacs at high volume. I noticed no discernible difference, certainly gently caress all to care about.

...so what do they mean by 'decent' speakers if a flat system gives up very little in terms of difference?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 10, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

They have products in every price class, for instance their selection of speaker cables extends from a modest $735 for the basic model, to $30,500 for the 25th anniversary model. Both prices are for a set of two 2.5m cables, finished with spade lugs. Cables for longer runs or bi-wiring cost extra, naturally.

Oh hey I have that speaker cable! It cost £50 for a 100m roll and I made up my own Speakon cables with it for my PA kit. Same gauge. It just appears they've put some braiding over the rubber outer and cleaned off the powdery poo poo from the + and - inners and popped some spades on. That justifies the price alright.

Every time I see poo poo like this I genuinely question whether or not I should do it too. The cash would be loving lovely.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Do you have a link to where it can be bought online or something?

I feel like trolling some audiophiles.

I bought it from an ebay seller called Pro Line Audio and it was a bargain, they're currently not selling anything but Thomann has basically the same thing on offer for a few quid more (but still farrrrrrrrrrrrr cheaper than what they're asking)

100m of 6mm for 280 Euros/2089DKK. 6mm sits between 10/11AWG which is thicker than the poo poo they're charging 163,500DKK for... Bargain! Get some braid, a bit of shrink tubing and some spades and nobody will ever know the difference.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cls260.htm

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jonathan posted:

I wouldn't want to work with 10ga wire.

I run 12awg for my PA setup and I'd consider that over the top for home use.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

Today I was thanked by no less than six people after being forced to speak up at a seminar to point out that a well respected audio industry figure fundamentally misunderstood digital audio. He was trying to A-B test a cheap USB cable against a ridiculously expensive one to show how much warmer and more detailed the expensive one was.

Whilst telling people which was which.

On a PA system, which was purple. The cable was purple too.

By unplugging one and plugging the other in whilst a tune was playing continuously. Of course he was using Fidelia. And a £4000 soundcard. And mentioned skin effect as a potential cause.

On the whole it was good but you could blatantly tell that he drank the audiophile kool aid.

Purple PA would be Funktion 1 which means your dude would be Tony Andrews? Never trust a dude with a loving rat tail...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Is it a weird thing that I quite like having actual copies of music I like as opposed to just streaming it all? I just have this mild loathing of streaming ever since someone tried to entertain a houseparty by using a non-premium version of Spotify complete with adverts. It just boils my piss for some reason. If you like the music why wouldn't you have a copy, even if it was just a 320? Seems stupid to me, like a slacker's version of entertaining people.

When people come over to my place for a party I have hand selected playlists ready to go because it's great fun. Spotify just seems like a non participating way to listen to music, passive listening.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I was under the impression that twisted pair cabling was used to get rid of the kinda poo poo that audiophiles are always banging on about that wrecks their soundstages and such...

quote:

...is a type of wiring in which two conductors of a single circuit are twisted together for the purposes ofcanceling out electromagnetic interference (EMI) from external sources; for instance, electromagnetic radiation from unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cables, and crosstalk between neighboring pairs.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Terminal Entropy posted:

What's the audiophile logic for directional cables?

Pretty much every answer is "it sounds better, can't you hear the difference?"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The reviews for that silly expensive Cat7...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I make my own cables for both home and use with my PA. It's nice to know the structural quality of the stuff you're using.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah but my speakers can do 0hz. All speakers can. :c00lbutt:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

$789, for a goddamn music player.

:eyepop:

My Driverack PX comes with a calibrated microphone and can do room correction (as well as crossover, subharmonic synth, parametric/graphic EQ, compression, limiting and feedback elimination). It costs $600 MSRP, but can usually be found for around $375 new. I bought mine for $220 used. It does everything that stupid player does, better and for less money.

Oh yeah, and it has only analog inputs/outputs, but everything internal is done digitally. The workflow goes PC->DAC->preamp->ADC->processing->DAC->class D amp, in order to really piss off the audiophiles.

I have the Behringer version of that in my PA rack. It honestly amazes me how many sound systems local to me just have EQ and not RTA... First thing I do when I set up the system is run the RTA to get everything flat and then tweak from there. It's weird hearing an accurate PA system in a room, it sounds just like a massively powerful hi-fi. :awesomelon:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I definitely didn't have a speaker setup worthy of doing that soundtrack any justice back in 1996/1997...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

Sub-20hz tones can affect the middle ear if played loud enough, and that can cause nausea for some people.

True but that thing is so loving tiny there's no way it's capable of outputting frequencies that low. It's a little box with an LED on it, pure audiophile grade toss that doesn't do anything. None of the poo poo on that market does.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

I know, just commenting on the whole sub-20hz thing.

I know dude, I just wanted to talk about the box of nothing and yours seemed like a good bit to quote. To create pulses or waves under 20hz requires a bit more firepower than will ever be in that box is all I'm saying. :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

I wonder what's actually inside? I'm guessing an LED, a computer buzzer and a cardboard middle finger.

I'm going with just an LED, audiophile products are all about maximum profit margin and 20c on a buzzer just eats into a dude's Ferrari fund.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Creates some sort of EM field, or whatever that big PCB antenna is good for.

It's just a really long path for the power to get to the LED so it takes a few seconds to light up when it's switched on... :ssh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Audio nerd thread, what's the best piece of software to rip CDs these days?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks chaps, completely forgot about EAC since reformatting my PC...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

EAC worked perfectly but it's nice to know if I ever want to obsess over ripping CDs I can do ^^

Thanks chaps.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Which one of you started this?

http://wathifi.tumblr.com/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

Wow.

Of course, everyone knows he should have bought a Mac Mini, upgraded it with a non-switching power supply and placed it on a specially-designed anti-resonance platform.

For a giggle I went full bore on the additional options on that first link. I ended up with a $15k mac mini.

That poo poo is loving incredible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neutrik make really good poo poo and in the grand scheme of things audio related, are really loving cheap. I'm also a fan of Amphenol stuff.

I think every cable I've ever bought/made in the past 10 years or so probably wouldn't even come to $1500. And I say this as someone who builds PA kits and racks as a hobby.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 21, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^^ Depends what's under 'electronics' but considering you can buy a Behringer DCX2496 and an appropriate measurement mic to RTA your room and EQ everything flat for not too much cash it's fair to say that most of that lot is total bollocks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I know a fella who runs iNukes on his PA system for days on end from a generator (which class D amps loving HATE) for illegal raves in abandoned warehouses and such and he raves about them. They're nowhere near the ratings suggested (they used to include the actual ratings in the manuals online but removed them) but given a sensitive system they'll run hard for a long time and sound decent too.

...but then again they're Behringer so they can't possibly be any good.

I have a Peavey IPR1600 which I've ran hard for hours on end too, sounds great to me but then I always RTA my PA kit in rooms so............

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I reallllllllllllllllllllly need to move house and get a place with a decent sized garage so I can get back to making speakers and selling them to chumps with too much money people with discerning tastes.

I've recommended active monitors to quite a few people for small room audio requirements, not many people take my advice but those that do are more than happy at how nice they sound. poo poo, even the low end of the monitor market are pretty decent for the cash (though they tend to be pretty ugly). A set of Adams is on my 'to buy' list assuming I can still get a pair later this year.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

If you're a bit handy with wood, and especially with veneers, you can make some really beautiful boxes. For home use, it's probably 90% aesthetics and 10% sound that sells. And of those 10%, it's mostly about the thump-thump. Expensive-looking box + cheap drivers = profit like woah.

I REALLY loving hate veneer though, it looks so loving cheap and nasty. I like wood. Real wood. Not MDF with a thin sliver of wood over the top. gently caress that poo poo. :/

This year I'm going to play around with a few designs in acrylic I think, a friend has seen some speakers he likes in clear acrylic but the actual design itself is a bit lacking so I want to have a play and improve that a bit. That shouldn't take too long and then onto some wooooooooooood.

And thanks for the tips on Adam/Eve, I'll keep an eye out.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 26, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Doesn't MDF have sonic advantages because the density is uniform? At least it should be easier to design with.

MDF is used because it's cheap as gently caress. It's sawdust and glue. It's barely related to wood as it is. I like using plywood, the top quality birch stuff, it's actually really pretty and I want to make some big folded horn PA subs out of it and put a nice stain on it because as it's wood, it has a grain and takes it really well. I built some PA speakers previously out of it but painted them and I now realise it was a mistake as they would've looked sharp with a stain. That said at that point my woodworking skills probably weren't quite up to scratch to pull it off.

I like wood because it's a real material, MDF is just really crappy to build with. It crumbles when struck, absorbs water like a sponge, is heavy in comparison to equivalent sized plywood, isn't as strong as you think it is and is loving carcinogenic so is actually dangerous to use unless you've got a mask and decent filtration while you're cutting it. Anyone selling you on the idea that MDF is a great material is trying to hide the fact they're trying to cheap out on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVxldyIa0Bg

Acoustic glass? I'll do some research. :)

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 26, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BigFactory posted:

I know what MDF is, but isn't the fact that it's denser than plywood (and uniform in its density) an advantage when you're designing a speaker?

Plywood is also uniform in density. I suppose you can call a higher density over plywood an advantage if you want to skimp on actually designing a speaker properly. It'll be an advantage if you don't want to think about adding internal bracing to say your sub design. But I'll take internal bracing, lighter weight, strength and all that other stuff over using MDF every single time. In terms of something like sub building, if your design is good then it'll spend its time rattling the room it's in rather than rattling itself all over the room. The designs I've built previously are all 12mm birch ply internally braced, the subs capable of silly loud volumes (120db+ outside measured from 5m) and yet didn't move an inch hitting said loudness.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

So basically you have to do more work to make plywood work as well as MDF, which is OK if that's what you want, but don't act like you're not making a tradeoff when you choose either.

Spending 30 minutes cutting a few braces on a particular design isn't really a trade off in my opinion. You can no doubt make a speaker with no bracing out of ply if you wanted to, the designs I've used are braced for lightness but you could definitely go to 18mm ply if you wanted touring grade toughness. If you were to make them out of MDF the only advantage would be they'd be cheaper. In every other respect it's a worse material. I get that some people are cool with it and that's fine but I've used a better material, it's far nicer to work with and that's what I'll be using from now on. My floorstanders are manufactured from MDF and a veneer and it's fine for those but for something I'm making myself I wouldn't use it for all the aforementioned reasons.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I've never built a speaker box, but I feel qualified to comment on this because I spent a decade doing finish carpentry for a living and I still do it as a hobby.

For painted work MDF has taken over the carpentry industry because its easier to machine, easier to finish, cheaper, better looking, more stable, etc. As with every material choice you're making tradeoffs, but to act as if MDF is the obviously inferior choice is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

It's inferior for my spec for the reasons listed above, I'm not suggesting you can't use it to put together some speakers as it's evidently possible but for what I need a material to do it's not fit for purpose.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The most obvious thing you're missing from that photo that tells you you're dealing with a dude that is more about listening to equipment than music? The fact there's a real nice vinyl player and only a dozen or so albums. I have more than that and I don't even own my own record deck.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I mean I have one in my room but it's *SHOCK, HORROR, DISGUST* a direct drive DJ deck with boatloads of torque. It's so nice, a friend of mine has nowhere to store it so it's on long term loan.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KillHour posted:

Can I get a USBFirewire one that I can plug into a Macbook and listen to vinyl with the earbuds that came with my iPhone? I need to cement my status as alpha hipster.

There's bound to be someone, somewhere doing this... Are you a proto hipster if you're not the first?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Do any audiophiles use things like RTA? It's kinda standard in my PA kit but I've never seen anything like it in an audiophile environment which is weird considering they're supposedly looking for perfection in audio quality and that's a decent investment in doing so.

...or would that just be too easy/cheap?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Khablam posted:

ABX is dumb and won't work, because music is art and science can't quantify art. It can also be thrown off by having parts of the system set up wrong, where the distortion can overwhelm the part you are trying to hear, eg cables being plugged in the wrong way or CDs being played live without an anti-jitter treatment.

I'd also be very interested to know the set-up they chose; were each set equally burned in with (at least) 200 hours of white noise?

Wow do you even know anything about audio? Cables must be burned in using PINK NOISE. Using white noise just gets you cables that are burned in on the high end but muddy and indistinct on the lows.

...I now feel like I should put together a 'cable burninator' and sell it for $600. I'll sell a burninator that does it in half the time for $1500. :mmmsmug:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mine will actually burn the cables though, to show that they're pumping hardcore current down them. Your cables ain't poo poo if they're not hot to the point of glowing (firing a million volts down them widens the signal path lowering the s/n ratio giving the music a far wider path to travel down adding a more accurate soundstage etc etc etc blah blah blah...)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So who wants to make the kickstarter and get rich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

...did they ever take the packaging off?

Also an hour to cable up some speakers is brilliant.