Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

toplitzin posted:

Who wants a listening room in their house, when you can have a separate LISTENING BARN?

(Click for masturbatory post/spec out)

I found a site that says the MSRP on those speakers is $200,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Do phono cartridges actually need a break in period or is that also just audiophile garbage? It makes sense since it's has moving parts, but I don't want to spread bullshit through my own ignorance.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

jonathan posted:

I made a huge technical sciencey post about room acoustics a few months back and nobody even viewed it. So gently caress it glass coffee tables for everyone.

I want to see it.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I like keeping money local too, so I just bought the cheapest speaker wire they had at the Radioshack down the street. I could have gotten it cheaper on monoprice, but I like keeping this place around, it's an old school Radioshack that sells all the electronic components and has the creepy guy in the basement that fixes stereos.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Khablam posted:

Guys I am cray cray for thinking 0=0 and 1=1

Like, he's literally explaining why I am right, whilst insinuating it's some insane position. :cripes:

Your entire digital sound system is just packed with noise desperately searching for a DAC so it can burst out and ruin everything you listen to.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

BANME.sh posted:

16 gauge is fine for 99% of home use. It only becomes a problem if you are running lengths over 50 feet or pushing more than 100 watts RMS per channel. You can go up to 14, but 12 is absolutely overkill.

My amp has 255 wpc rms and the manual says "Standard 18 gauge lamp cord" as a minimum. I think I used 16 or 14 gauge cable anyway since that's what I already had.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Is the Sonos stuff audiophile garbage or it ok? My roommate got one of these for free from his company since they sell them. It's pretty neat, but $350 for what is basically an Apple TV that does less seems kind of crazy.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I think they want Beats for the music subscription service, but the headphones seem popular and money is money.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

No caps, no inductors, no resistors, no fuses, no diodes.

In other words, an extremely overpriced extension cord.

Also antivibration and damping technologies! I sure am tired of my vibrating power cable loving up my audio events.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Well, you've struck the mother lode.

quote:

This is because you are such one which stands as the last word in the first sentence.

Is this a Danish idiom that doesn't translate well or did google translate just mangle it.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not quite sure what his intention was, because the sentence is clunky in Danish, as well.

A better translation would be "Because you're the last word in the first sentence of this post", which is still stupid.

Oh I get it, if what you quoted is the full post...

quote:

First, I note that you are an idiot. (You can Google the last word). And I will say that I very well remember a stereo I listened to in 1973. It was with Harman Kardon amplifiers and JBL Paragon. I can prove it. But I'm not going to. This is because you are such one which stands as the last word in the first sentence.

The last word of the first sentence of that post is 'idiot', so he's calling you an idiot. Its obtuse, but I bet that is what he meant.

Did he tell you to google it because he used the English word "idiot", an obscure Danish word that means that or was it an attempt to imply you are slow.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

And here's a stupidly-complicated record player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvqNBAAmxcI

I too, only handle my records with white cotton gloves.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

quote:

without adding uncertainty factors [such] as ABX and blind tests and other completely ridiculous things

This should be the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

E: And don't forget your magic magnetic talisman. Demagnetize everything, including the speaker drivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq-a68vkjnQ

There's a magnet on every driver and the phono cartridge, so if you actually demagnetized all of that nothing would work right?

Also, it literally is called the talisman, I thought you were just making fun of him. I wonder if the company that sold it to him named it that tongue-in-cheek because they know it's bullshit. The talisman costs $275 by the way, https://walkeraudio.com/shop/talisman-magnetic-optimizer/

edit: also, I don't know what his mkIII cost but the new mkV is $105,000, https://walkeraudio.com/proscenium-black-diamond-contd/

double edit: That whole site is full of good stuff, especially the 'System-enhancing Products' section

quote:

Last year, we improved our Reference record clamp by adding our Black Diamond technology. Now, we’ve improved the record clamp again with the White Diamond crystal on top that intercepts and cancels harmful RF interference.

Crystals, like new age healing, but for your stereo. And at an affordable $1995 why wouldn't you buy this record clamp: https://walkeraudio.com/?product=record-clamp

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 13, 2014