Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

jonathan posted:

I was on hometheatershack.com the other day which has a good DIY community on there who build some good stuff.

I noticed a sponsored ad on the front page for Take 5 Audio, your Canadian DIY headquarters"

"Sweet!" I thought. Finally somewhere like Parts Express for Canada.

So I browse the site. Its all overpriced speakon connectors and "custom interconnects" which they will burn in for you for a fee.

They have some machine that they use to burn in speaker wire and interconnects for you, at $40 a pop.

I've got a spare car battery in the shop. I'm going to go feed my 30' Monoprice HDMI cable 700 cold hard cranking amps. I need to take the colouration it introduces out of the digital stream. Reference calibrated video here we go !

They also charge a ton for shipping. I ordered 10 feet of cable and a couple connectors, which would fit into a small padded envelope, and it ended up being $20 for the stuff and $28 in shipping to BC.

If you're looking for a partsexpress for Canada, try Digikey. Newark, and Mouser. Expensive shipping, but loads of stuff to pick from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I wonder what happened to patrick82 and the insanity surrounding him (namely, ERS paper and the nordost valhalla cable)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

One time, I bought a Virtual Dynamics cable. And cable feet.

:eng99:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

It was on head-fi, and it was a Virtual Dynamics cable. His dog chewed through it, and it was just cheap electrical wire and filled with metal filings.

The best part about that thread wasn't the cable though, it was the Virtual Dynamics rep (audio chef or accoustic chef or something chef) defending it, the VD fans defending it, and everyone else calling it a piece of poo poo.

I want to say it's from 2005 or so, but I don't remember. It was before the whole coathangers as cables thing existed.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Don't you guys see where you are going wrong

a power cable isn't the last 3 feet in your system after 50 miles of that untreated copper cable from the power station (it probably even has lots of oxygen in it), it's the first 3 feet towards an unbelievable listening experience.

Something something wider soundstage, better imaging, blacker blacks, more musicality, and tighter bass.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

My favorite are the "Power cable roundup" reviews that pit 5+ cables against each other, with the reviewer describing the characteristics

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Loudspeakers: $58,500
Analog: $37,995
Digital: $74,998
Electronics: $104,000
Things that actually make a difference: $275,493

Racks: $45,710
Cables: $227,280
Things that don't make a difference: $272,990

Yup, he spent almost as much on cables and racks as on audio gear.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Why do all 3-position audio switches always go:

even though it's not like the wiring is backwards, they actually go out of their way to not 1-2-3 it.

why, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

taqueso posted:

There are lots of procurement issues with fancy screens if you aren't a huge buyer, usually you can only get the left overs with no guarantee of being able to buy more later (then you get to do a redesign!). Moving to a high-res display also adds bunch of new graphics/UI work and you need a beefy uC to be able to move those pixels around. Might as well put Android on it... and then you are flying down the rabbit hole..

I do think they should have at least used a white on black LCD like someone else mentioned, what they have now just looks dated.

Solution is simple and obvious.

Re-release it with the new screen as a new improved edition, charge more, talk about how much better the electronics are.

When your screen supply runs out, repeat. Then talk about exclusivity.